Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Defanged artichokes

  1. #1
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Defanged artichokes

    Hello All!

    Part of dinner tonight is artichoke with a lemon dipping sauce. I have
    just finished cutting off the prickles and have been bitten back twice.
    I have read that a defanged artichoke has been developed but have never
    seen one. Has anyone come across them?

    --


    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    Email, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  2. #2
    Billy Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:02:41 GMT, "James Silverton"
    <not.jim.silverton@verizo[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello All!
    >
    >Part of dinner tonight is artichoke with a lemon dipping sauce. I have
    >just finished cutting off the prickles and have been bitten back twice.
    >I have read that a defanged artichoke has been developed but have never
    >seen one. Has anyone come across them?


    Everyone we buy is defanged...with kitchen sissors. Hold the choke in
    the palm of your hand and just snip. Not a problem. Some kitchen
    procedures are minimal and necessary.

    I suspect you want us to remove the skin from your chicken too?
    Oh...that's right, skinless chicken breasts at 5.59 a pound vs. whole
    chickens at 99 cents a pound.









  3. #3
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes



    James Silverton wrote:
    >
    > Hello All!
    >
    > Part of dinner tonight is artichoke with a lemon dipping sauce. I have
    > just finished cutting off the prickles and have been bitten back twice.
    > I have read that a defanged artichoke has been developed but have never
    > seen one. Has anyone come across them?
    >



    That would be pointless............

  4. #4
    PickyJaz Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    On Sep 16, 5:06*pm, Arri London <biot...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
    >
    > That would be pointless............

    Sharp one, eh?
    I picked the 'chokes I grew once they got just past softball size, and
    the leaf tips had begun to split, but none of those nasty thorns had
    come about yet. Any of the ones I've bought at a local Farmers Market
    have split into thorns either. Perhaps the 'chokes we may buy at the
    common grocer's have been left to the drying sun too long before
    shipping?

    .....Picky


  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:02:41 GMT, "James Silverton"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello All!
    >
    >Part of dinner tonight is artichoke with a lemon dipping sauce. I have
    >just finished cutting off the prickles and have been bitten back twice.
    >I have read that a defanged artichoke has been developed but have never
    >seen one. Has anyone come across them?


    I bought them a couple of times. They lost flavor too. Nevermore.
    I'll stick with the "real thing".


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  6. #6
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > James Silverton wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello All!
    > >
    > > Part of dinner tonight is artichoke with a lemon dipping sauce. I have
    > > just finished cutting off the prickles and have been bitten back twice.
    > > I have read that a defanged artichoke has been developed but have never
    > > seen one. Has anyone come across them?
    > >

    >
    >
    > That would be pointless............


    Boo!
    --
    Peace! Om

    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes



    PickyJaz wrote:
    >
    > On Sep 16, 5:06 pm, Arri London <biot...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
    > >
    > > That would be pointless............



    > Sharp one, eh?


    Have the occasional moment of actually having a sense of humour...


    > I picked the 'chokes I grew once they got just past softball size, and
    > the leaf tips had begun to split, but none of those nasty thorns had
    > come about yet. Any of the ones I've bought at a local Farmers Market
    > have split into thorns either. Perhaps the 'chokes we may buy at the
    > common grocer's have been left to the drying sun too long before
    > shipping?


    Dunno. Sometimes the artichokes in the markets locally look very nice,
    closed and the spiky bits aren't all that spiky. Other times they are
    really too old and should have been harvested/shipped a lot sooner.

    Never got many buds off my lone artichoke plant and they didn't get
    larger than a table tennis ball Plant died off the second year and
    have never tried again.
    >
    > ....Picky


  8. #8
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes



    Omelet wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > James Silverton wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Hello All!
    > > >
    > > > Part of dinner tonight is artichoke with a lemon dipping sauce. I have
    > > > just finished cutting off the prickles and have been bitten back twice.
    > > > I have read that a defanged artichoke has been developed but have never
    > > > seen one. Has anyone come across them?
    > > >

    > >
    > >
    > > That would be pointless............

    >
    > Boo!
    > --



    :P

  9. #9
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:11:34 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Never got many buds off my lone artichoke plant and they didn't get
    >larger than a table tennis ball Plant died off the second year and
    >have never tried again.


    I think they do better on foggy coastlines, Ari.

    sf
    where the artichokes grow




    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  10. #10
    Blinky the Shark Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    sf wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:11:34 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Never got many buds off my lone artichoke plant and they didn't get
    >>larger than a table tennis ball Plant died off the second year and
    >>have never tried again.

    >
    > I think they do better on foggy coastlines, Ari.
    >
    > sf
    > where the artichokes grow


    Home, home on the coast
    Where sf and the artichokes play
    Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
    And the skies are oft foggy all day


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
    Need a new news feed? http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html


  11. #11
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    said...

    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:11:34 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Never got many buds off my lone artichoke plant and they didn't get
    >>larger than a table tennis ball Plant died off the second year and
    >>have never tried again.

    >
    > I think they do better on foggy coastlines, Ari.
    >
    > sf
    > where the artichokes grow
    >
    >



    sf,

    Have you been to the Artichoke Festival in Castroville? I've been meaning
    to attend for the longest time. Next year will be their 50th Annual.

    Best,

    Andy

  12. #12
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes



    sf wrote:
    >
    > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:11:34 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Never got many buds off my lone artichoke plant and they didn't get
    > >larger than a table tennis ball Plant died off the second year and
    > >have never tried again.

    >
    > I think they do better on foggy coastlines, Ari.
    >
    > sf
    > where the artichokes grow
    >
    >
    >


    LOL no doubt, but such things *are* on sale around here.
    Grew our own sweetcorn one year; all baby corn and no large ears.
    Potatoes turned out the size of large marbles...Squashes and beans do
    well here, as they have been grown here for centuries.
    Soil is quite shallow and poor, despite years of amendments. Water (and
    lack thereof) of course is an issue.

  13. #13
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:58:37 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Soil is quite shallow and poor, despite years of amendments. Water (and
    >lack thereof) of course is an issue.


    AHA! Wizard hat on.... I sense a new wine grape growing region!


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

  14. #14
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:45:26 -0700, sf wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:58:37 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Soil is quite shallow and poor, despite years of amendments. Water (and
    >>lack thereof) of course is an issue.

    >
    >AHA! Wizard hat on.... I sense a new wine grape growing region!


    If you are talking about New Mexico, it is actually the oldest wine
    grape growing region in the whole country. Vineyards have been here
    for hundreds of years..and New Mexico produces some award winning
    wines, especially champagne.

    http://www.vivanewmexico.com/wines.html

    Christine

  15. #15
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    > >
    > > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:11:34 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Never got many buds off my lone artichoke plant and they didn't get
    > > >larger than a table tennis ball Plant died off the second year and
    > > >have never tried again.

    > >
    > > I think they do better on foggy coastlines, Ari.
    > >
    > > sf
    > > where the artichokes grow
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    > LOL no doubt, but such things *are* on sale around here.
    > Grew our own sweetcorn one year; all baby corn and no large ears.
    > Potatoes turned out the size of large marbles...Squashes and beans do
    > well here, as they have been grown here for centuries.
    > Soil is quite shallow and poor, despite years of amendments. Water (and
    > lack thereof) of course is an issue.


    Two words: Raised Beds.
    --
    Peace! Om

    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

  16. #16
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes



    sf wrote:
    >
    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:58:37 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Soil is quite shallow and poor, despite years of amendments. Water (and
    > >lack thereof) of course is an issue.

    >
    > AHA! Wizard hat on.... I sense a new wine grape growing region!
    >



    It is indeed. Gruet wines are produced locally. My own grapevine is a
    Golden Muscat which does produce despite my neglect during the past 12
    months.

  17. #17
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes



    Omelet wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > sf wrote:
    > > >
    > > > On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:11:34 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > > >Never got many buds off my lone artichoke plant and they didn't get
    > > > >larger than a table tennis ball Plant died off the second year and
    > > > >have never tried again.
    > > >
    > > > I think they do better on foggy coastlines, Ari.
    > > >
    > > > sf
    > > > where the artichokes grow
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >

    > >
    > > LOL no doubt, but such things *are* on sale around here.
    > > Grew our own sweetcorn one year; all baby corn and no large ears.
    > > Potatoes turned out the size of large marbles...Squashes and beans do
    > > well here, as they have been grown here for centuries.
    > > Soil is quite shallow and poor, despite years of amendments. Water (and
    > > lack thereof) of course is an issue.

    >
    > Two words: Raised Beds.
    > --


    We have one and I practise dry land 'farming' such as it is LOL. Just
    didn't do anything last year and very little this year. Actually things
    do better here in trenches to catch whatever rain does fall.

  18. #18
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > We have one and I practise dry land 'farming' such as it is LOL. Just
    > didn't do anything last year and very little this year. Actually things
    > do better here in trenches to catch whatever rain does fall.


    Well, to really conserve water, there is always container growing...
    --
    Peace! Om

    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain

  19. #19
    Arri London Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes



    Omelet wrote:
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > We have one and I practise dry land 'farming' such as it is LOL. Just
    > > didn't do anything last year and very little this year. Actually things
    > > do better here in trenches to catch whatever rain does fall.

    >
    > Well, to really conserve water, there is always container growing...
    > --
    > Peace! Om
    >



    We do that too, especially for the herbs. Except for the rosemary, which
    gets too big!

  20. #20
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Defanged artichokes

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:28:44 -0600, Arri London <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >
    >Omelet wrote:
    >>
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Arri London <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > We have one and I practise dry land 'farming' such as it is LOL. Just
    >> > didn't do anything last year and very little this year. Actually things
    >> > do better here in trenches to catch whatever rain does fall.

    >>
    >> Well, to really conserve water, there is always container growing...
    >> --
    >> Peace! Om
    >>

    >
    >
    >We do that too, especially for the herbs. Except for the rosemary, which
    >gets too big!


    Your rosemary needs a "haircut" ari. Not kidding, prune it. You'll
    be surprised by how well it responds.


    --
    I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

    Mae West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32