Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Cuban roast pork for dinner

  1. #1
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Cuban roast pork for dinner

    Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:

    1 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/2 cup lime
    1/4 cup oregano
    1 head of garlic chopped
    1 tablespoon salt
    3 crushed bay leaves
    teaspoon pepper corns

    Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.

    My place smells like heaven.



  2. #2
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    Re: infuq6$828$[email protected]

    Paul M. Cook <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:
    >
    > 1 cup orange juice
    > 1/2 cup lemon juice
    > 1/2 cup lime
    > 1/4 cup oregano
    > 1 head of garlic chopped
    > 1 tablespoon salt
    > 3 crushed bay leaves
    > teaspoon pepper corns
    >
    > Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.
    >
    > My place smells like heaven.


    So with that long a marinade in acidic ingredients, it doesn't get mushy?
    Sounds delicious though, as any Carribean pork recipe usually does.

    What's your cooking method? Braise in the marinade?



  3. #3
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner


    "Nunya Bidnits" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:ing4j6$r6d$[email protected]..
    > Re: infuq6$828$[email protected]
    >
    > Paul M. Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:
    >>
    >> 1 cup orange juice
    >> 1/2 cup lemon juice
    >> 1/2 cup lime
    >> 1/4 cup oregano
    >> 1 head of garlic chopped
    >> 1 tablespoon salt
    >> 3 crushed bay leaves
    >> teaspoon pepper corns
    >>
    >> Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.
    >>
    >> My place smells like heaven.

    >
    > So with that long a marinade in acidic ingredients, it doesn't get mushy?
    > Sounds delicious though, as any Carribean pork recipe usually does.
    >


    We'll know in about 4 hours.

    > What's your cooking method? Braise in the marinade?


    Dry roast low and slow. I did not rinse off the pork. I may do a braise
    still as I could add the marinade to the pan and let it cook down. I am on
    a mission to develop my own recipe for this dish. I'll be eating a lot of
    pork in the weeks ahead.

    Paul



  4. #4
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner


    "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    > Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:
    >
    > 1 cup orange juice
    > 1/2 cup lemon juice
    > 1/2 cup lime
    > 1/4 cup oregano
    > 1 head of garlic chopped
    > 1 tablespoon salt
    > 3 crushed bay leaves
    > teaspoon pepper corns
    >
    > Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.
    >
    > My place smells like heaven.


    30 minutes to go. The black beans are filling my place with thick aromas of
    onions and cumin, garlic and lemon juice. I sliced off a piece of the
    roast. Tender as butter and rich with flavor - nonetheless it cries out for
    more. I am thinking of adding cumin to the marinade and some bitters,
    perhaps orange zest. Maybe onions as well.

    Stand by.

    Paul



  5. #5
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 18:39:23 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    >> Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:
    >>
    >> 1 cup orange juice
    >> 1/2 cup lemon juice
    >> 1/2 cup lime
    >> 1/4 cup oregano
    >> 1 head of garlic chopped
    >> 1 tablespoon salt
    >> 3 crushed bay leaves
    >> teaspoon pepper corns
    >>
    >> Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.
    >>
    >> My place smells like heaven.

    >
    >30 minutes to go. The black beans are filling my place with thick aromas of
    >onions and cumin, garlic and lemon juice. I sliced off a piece of the
    >roast. Tender as butter and rich with flavor - nonetheless it cries out for
    >more. I am thinking of adding cumin to the marinade and some bitters,
    >perhaps orange zest. Maybe onions as well.
    >
    >Stand by.
    >
    >Paul
    >


    I'll be interested to see what you think is missing. I am definitely
    not an expert, but as I read the recipe my tongue and brain says there
    is something missing. Perhaps a bit of sweetness? Or something with
    a rounder flavor?
    Janet

  6. #6
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner


    "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 18:39:23 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    >>> Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:
    >>>
    >>> 1 cup orange juice
    >>> 1/2 cup lemon juice
    >>> 1/2 cup lime
    >>> 1/4 cup oregano
    >>> 1 head of garlic chopped
    >>> 1 tablespoon salt
    >>> 3 crushed bay leaves
    >>> teaspoon pepper corns
    >>>
    >>> Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.
    >>>
    >>> My place smells like heaven.

    >>
    >>30 minutes to go. The black beans are filling my place with thick aromas
    >>of
    >>onions and cumin, garlic and lemon juice. I sliced off a piece of the
    >>roast. Tender as butter and rich with flavor - nonetheless it cries out
    >>for
    >>more. I am thinking of adding cumin to the marinade and some bitters,
    >>perhaps orange zest. Maybe onions as well.
    >>
    >>Stand by.
    >>
    >>Paul
    >>

    >
    > I'll be interested to see what you think is missing. I am definitely
    > not an expert, but as I read the recipe my tongue and brain says there
    > is something missing. Perhaps a bit of sweetness? Or something with
    > a rounder flavor?



    OK, this is good. First, the pork is not at all mushy. It has plenty of
    texture. The crust is divine. I think that is the best part. Janet is
    right, it needs something more. I think sweetness, yes. I will add a
    tablespoon of sugar to the next attempt. Also, a teaspoon of cumin. Cumin
    is definitely missing plus I will add more salt next time. I am close to
    the flavor I seek. More time in the marinade, too. Perhaps 18 hours next
    time. The crust is incredbibly good. I think just getting more flavor down
    deep into the meat will yield the result I am after.

    The beans are heaven. I took 2 cans of black beans and added them to a
    baking dish. I diced 1 green pepper, one red onion, 8 cloves of garlic,2
    teaspoons of cumin and a tablespoon of lemon juice plus a squeeze of lime.
    Cooked with 2 crumbled bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of oregano and a pinch of
    salt. Added that to the beans with the can water, heated to simmer then
    into the 250F oven for 2 hours. The beans are out of the park. Best ever.
    I think I will claim success on the beans. No improvemnet needed there.

    Paul



  7. #7
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    In article <ingmvf$n55$[email protected]>,
    "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OK, this is good. First, the pork is not at all mushy. It has plenty of
    > texture. The crust is divine. I think that is the best part. Janet is
    > right, it needs something more. I think sweetness, yes. I will add a
    > tablespoon of sugar to the next attempt. Also, a teaspoon of cumin. Cumin
    > is definitely missing plus I will add more salt next time. I am close to
    > the flavor I seek. More time in the marinade, too. Perhaps 18 hours next
    > time. The crust is incredbibly good. I think just getting more flavor down
    > deep into the meat will yield the result I am after.


    Would stabbing the roast allow more flavor inside?
    That is what I've done in the past with heavily garlic'd pork roasts.
    Stabbed them at regular intervals and stuck garlic slivers into the
    stabs, then topped with herbs. The herb flavors got deep into the meat
    thru the stabs I imagine.

    >
    > The beans are heaven. I took 2 cans of black beans and added them to a
    > baking dish. I diced 1 green pepper, one red onion, 8 cloves of garlic,2
    > teaspoons of cumin and a tablespoon of lemon juice plus a squeeze of lime.
    > Cooked with 2 crumbled bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of oregano and a pinch of
    > salt. Added that to the beans with the can water, heated to simmer then
    > into the 250F oven for 2 hours. The beans are out of the park. Best ever.
    > I think I will claim success on the beans. No improvemnet needed there.
    >
    > Paul


    Sounds tasty and creative. :-)
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
    --Robert Heinlien

  8. #8
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner


    "Omelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]..
    > In article <ingmvf$n55$[email protected]>,
    > "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, this is good. First, the pork is not at all mushy. It has plenty of
    >> texture. The crust is divine. I think that is the best part. Janet is
    >> right, it needs something more. I think sweetness, yes. I will add a
    >> tablespoon of sugar to the next attempt. Also, a teaspoon of cumin.
    >> Cumin
    >> is definitely missing plus I will add more salt next time. I am close to
    >> the flavor I seek. More time in the marinade, too. Perhaps 18 hours next
    >> time. The crust is incredbibly good. I think just getting more flavor
    >> down
    >> deep into the meat will yield the result I am after.

    >
    > Would stabbing the roast allow more flavor inside?


    Did that. I think I just need to marinate for a longer period of time.
    Next time I think just a teaspoon of sugar, not a tablespoon like I wrote.
    That would be way too sweet. If I can get sour oranges I think that would
    be even better. These oranges were a tad bland.

    > That is what I've done in the past with heavily garlic'd pork roasts.
    > Stabbed them at regular intervals and stuck garlic slivers into the
    > stabs, then topped with herbs. The herb flavors got deep into the meat
    > thru the stabs I imagine.
    >
    >>
    >> The beans are heaven. I took 2 cans of black beans and added them to a
    >> baking dish. I diced 1 green pepper, one red onion, 8 cloves of garlic,2
    >> teaspoons of cumin and a tablespoon of lemon juice plus a squeeze of
    >> lime.
    >> Cooked with 2 crumbled bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of oregano and a pinch of
    >> salt. Added that to the beans with the can water, heated to simmer then
    >> into the 250F oven for 2 hours. The beans are out of the park. Best
    >> ever.
    >> I think I will claim success on the beans. No improvemnet needed there.
    >>
    >> Paul

    >
    > Sounds tasty and creative. :-)


    Yeah, the beans are awesome. I'll be making them often this way.

    Paul



  9. #9
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    In article <ingvm9$j20$[email protected]>,
    "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Would stabbing the roast allow more flavor inside?

    >
    > Did that. I think I just need to marinate for a longer period of time.
    > Next time I think just a teaspoon of sugar, not a tablespoon like I wrote.
    > That would be way too sweet. If I can get sour oranges I think that would
    > be even better. These oranges were a tad bland.


    Or add a spice that adds sweetness, such as Nutmeg, Mace or Ginger?
    Fresh ginger and garlic together rock anyway. I cheat lately and
    purchase Ginger/Garlic paste from the Indian spice section at Fiesta. <g>
    It's very good!

    > > Sounds tasty and creative. :-)

    >
    > Yeah, the beans are awesome. I'll be making them often this way.
    >
    > Paul


    I just wish beans did not cause so much "wind". <sighs> I made some
    Boston Baked Beans using up 1/2 jar of that excess Molasses I had on
    hand and 2 cans of black beans. It was delicious but when one is going
    to job interviews, beans need to be left out of the diet for awhile. <g>
    Black Soy beans don't treat me that way and neither have ones that I've
    allowed to sprout before cooking using the 3 day soak with multiple
    water changes.

    These canned beans really caused some problems. I'll be avoiding them
    from here on out!
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
    --Robert Heinlien

  10. #10
    Giusi Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner


    "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    > Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:
    >
    > 1 cup orange juice
    > 1/2 cup lemon juice
    > 1/2 cup lime
    > 1/4 cup oregano
    > 1 head of garlic chopped
    > 1 tablespoon salt
    > 3 crushed bay leaves
    > teaspoon pepper corns
    >
    > Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.
    >
    > My place smells like heaven.


    I can smell it from here! Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2 cup of
    lime juice, though.



  11. #11
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner


    "Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >
    > "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    >> Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:
    >>
    >> 1 cup orange juice
    >> 1/2 cup lemon juice
    >> 1/2 cup lime
    >> 1/4 cup oregano
    >> 1 head of garlic chopped
    >> 1 tablespoon salt
    >> 3 crushed bay leaves
    >> teaspoon pepper corns
    >>
    >> Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.
    >>
    >> My place smells like heaven.

    >
    > I can smell it from here! Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2 cup
    > of lime juice, though.



    You'd think it would overpower the dish but in fact it didn't. I tried to
    reverse engineer the perfect recipe once before and I used much more timid
    amounts of lime juice. It didn't work out well. I tried the paste style
    marinades with only a few tablespoons of citric acid and it just did not
    work either. I could barely taste the citric juices.

    Next attempt will include cumin and sugar and a longer marinade time.
    Probably do that this weekend. This attempt was good but it can be a lot
    better. I am thinking my oranges just did not have much flavor. I think I
    will zest them next time.

    Paul



  12. #12
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 23:02:48 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >"Omelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news[email protected]..
    >> In article <ingmvf$n55$[email protected]>,
    >> "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK, this is good. First, the pork is not at all mushy. It has plenty of
    >>> texture. The crust is divine. I think that is the best part. Janet is
    >>> right, it needs something more. I think sweetness, yes. I will add a
    >>> tablespoon of sugar to the next attempt. Also, a teaspoon of cumin.
    >>> Cumin
    >>> is definitely missing plus I will add more salt next time. I am close to
    >>> the flavor I seek. More time in the marinade, too. Perhaps 18 hours next
    >>> time. The crust is incredbibly good. I think just getting more flavor
    >>> down
    >>> deep into the meat will yield the result I am after.

    >>
    >> Would stabbing the roast allow more flavor inside?

    >
    >Did that. I think I just need to marinate for a longer period of time.
    >Next time I think just a teaspoon of sugar, not a tablespoon like I wrote.
    >That would be way too sweet. If I can get sour oranges I think that would
    >be even better. These oranges were a tad bland.
    >

    snip
    >
    >Paul
    >


    There is a science behind marinades -- salt draws the moisture out of
    the meat, then there is an equalization process where moisture goes
    back into the meat drawing the flavorings in with the transfer.
    Perhaps you should do a little 'Net research and see what proportions
    will help you get the most flavors into the meat. I just don't know
    the salt/liquid ratio off hand. Good luck
    Janet

  13. #13
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    In article <inhcdb$r2j$[email protected]>,
    "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    > >
    > > "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > > news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    > >> Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:
    > >>
    > >> 1 cup orange juice
    > >> 1/2 cup lemon juice
    > >> 1/2 cup lime
    > >> 1/4 cup oregano
    > >> 1 head of garlic chopped
    > >> 1 tablespoon salt
    > >> 3 crushed bay leaves
    > >> teaspoon pepper corns
    > >>
    > >> Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.
    > >>
    > >> My place smells like heaven.

    > >
    > > I can smell it from here! Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2 cup
    > > of lime juice, though.

    >
    >
    > You'd think it would overpower the dish but in fact it didn't. I tried to
    > reverse engineer the perfect recipe once before and I used much more timid
    > amounts of lime juice. It didn't work out well. I tried the paste style
    > marinades with only a few tablespoons of citric acid and it just did not
    > work either. I could barely taste the citric juices.
    >
    > Next attempt will include cumin and sugar and a longer marinade time.
    > Probably do that this weekend. This attempt was good but it can be a lot
    > better. I am thinking my oranges just did not have much flavor. I think I
    > will zest them next time.
    >
    > Paul


    You could try Tangerine...
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
    --Robert Heinlien

  14. #14
    aem Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    On Apr 6, 2:39 am, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote:
    > "Giusi" <decob...@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]..
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > >news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    > >> Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:

    >
    > >> 1 cup orange juice
    > >> 1/2 cup lemon juice
    > >> 1/2 cup lime
    > >> 1/4 cup oregano
    > >> 1 head of garlic chopped
    > >> 1 tablespoon salt
    > >> 3 crushed bay leaves
    > >> teaspoon pepper corns

    >
    > >> Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.

    >
    > >> My place smells like heaven.

    >
    > > I can smell it from here! Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2 cup
    > > of lime juice, though.

    >
    > You'd think it would overpower the dish but in fact it didn't. I tried to
    > reverse engineer the perfect recipe once before and I used much more timid
    > amounts of lime juice. It didn't work out well. I tried the paste style
    > marinades with only a few tablespoons of citric acid and it just did not
    > work either. I could barely taste the citric juices.
    >
    > Next attempt will include cumin and sugar and a longer marinade time.
    > Probably do that this weekend. This attempt was good but it can be a lot
    > better. I am thinking my oranges just did not have much flavor. I think I
    > will zest them next time.
    >

    Orange zest would be good, sour oranges better. Look for sour orange
    juice in cans; if you find it you don't need the lime and lemon
    juices, though you can use them if you like. Cumin would be good,
    sugar doubtful. My experience assisting a Cuban friend with similar
    dishes says one head of garlic is not nearly enough. Increasing the
    marinade time would help flavorwise, don't know if it might threaten
    too much textural breakdown from the acid. My friend always marinates
    for a day or more. My version of Cuban-style black beans uses vinegar
    (cider) rather than lemon juice. -aem



  15. #15
    Paul M. Cook Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    OK, good. Yeah, more garlic. This is my next attempt: I'm reducing the
    lime and lemon. I'm going to try adding orange zest for bitterness and I
    will crush the peppercorns this time. I'm going to add a little sugar for
    this next run. I'm going to baste more often too.

    Marinate 5 pounds of shoulder for 18-24 hours in:

    1 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup lime
    1/4 cup oregano
    1 teaspoon cumin
    2 heads of garlic chopped
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    3 crushed bay leaves
    zest from the oranges
    1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper corns

    Cooking for 7 hours at 225F. Baste every hour.


    ----- Original Message -----

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Apr 6, 2:39 am, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote:
    >> "Giusi" <decob...@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> > "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> >news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    >> >> Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:

    >>
    >> >> 1 cup orange juice
    >> >> 1/2 cup lemon juice
    >> >> 1/2 cup lime
    >> >> 1/4 cup oregano
    >> >> 1 head of garlic chopped
    >> >> 1 tablespoon salt
    >> >> 3 crushed bay leaves
    >> >> teaspoon pepper corns

    >>
    >> >> Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.

    >>
    >> >> My place smells like heaven.

    >>
    >> > I can smell it from here! Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2
    >> > cup
    >> > of lime juice, though.

    >>
    >> You'd think it would overpower the dish but in fact it didn't. I tried
    >> to
    >> reverse engineer the perfect recipe once before and I used much more
    >> timid
    >> amounts of lime juice. It didn't work out well. I tried the paste style
    >> marinades with only a few tablespoons of citric acid and it just did not
    >> work either. I could barely taste the citric juices.
    >>
    >> Next attempt will include cumin and sugar and a longer marinade time.
    >> Probably do that this weekend. This attempt was good but it can be a
    >> lot
    >> better. I am thinking my oranges just did not have much flavor. I think
    >> I
    >> will zest them next time.
    >>

    > Orange zest would be good, sour oranges better. Look for sour orange
    > juice in cans; if you find it you don't need the lime and lemon
    > juices, though you can use them if you like. Cumin would be good,
    > sugar doubtful. My experience assisting a Cuban friend with similar
    > dishes says one head of garlic is not nearly enough. Increasing the
    > marinade time would help flavorwise, don't know if it might threaten
    > too much textural breakdown from the acid. My friend always marinates
    > for a day or more. My version of Cuban-style black beans uses vinegar
    > (cider) rather than lemon juice. -aem
    >
    >




  16. #16
    Ranée at Arabian Knits Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Paul M. Cook" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    > > Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:
    > >
    > > 1 cup orange juice
    > > 1/2 cup lemon juice
    > > 1/2 cup lime
    > > 1/4 cup oregano
    > > 1 head of garlic chopped
    > > 1 tablespoon salt
    > > 3 crushed bay leaves
    > > teaspoon pepper corns
    > >
    > > Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.
    > >
    > > My place smells like heaven.

    >
    > I can smell it from here! Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2 cup of
    > lime juice, though.


    Shortage? Allergy? ??

    Regards,
    Ranee @ Arabian Knits

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  17. #17
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    On Apr 6, 4:55*pm, Ran e at Arabian Knits <arabiankn...@gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > In article <902k0jF64...@mid.individual.net>,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > *"Giusi" <decob...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > >news:infuq6$828$[email protected]..
    > > > Marinated 5 pounds of shoulder for 12 hours in:

    >
    > > > 1 cup orange juice
    > > > 1/2 cup lemon juice
    > > > 1/2 cup lime
    > > > 1/4 cup oregano
    > > > 1 head of garlic chopped
    > > > 1 tablespoon salt
    > > > 3 crushed bay leaves
    > > > teaspoon pepper corns

    >
    > > > Cooking for 7 hours at 225F.

    >
    > > > My place smells like heaven.

    >
    > > I can smell it from here! *Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2cup of
    > > lime juice, though.

    >
    > * *Shortage? *Allergy? *??


    That's pretty much lime juice unless you're making fresh sweetened
    lime juice for cocktails. For one camping trip I squeezed a gallon of
    lime juice with my Little Pro Plus. I used 77 limes. I also boiled
    up a gallon of invert sugar syrup. Folks brought a lot of tequila
    too. Just yesterday, my nephew emailed me saying that he really
    missed that place, which is a creek out in the middle of nowhere.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ranee @ Arabian Knits


    --Bryan

  18. #18
    Giusi Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner


    "Ranée at Arabian Knits" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> I can smell it from here! Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2 cup
    >> of
    >> lime juice, though.

    >
    > Shortage? Allergy? ??


    Just very uncommon here.



  19. #19
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:28:46 +0200, "Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > "Ranée at Arabian Knits" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > >> I can smell it from here! Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2 cup
    > >> of
    > >> lime juice, though.

    > >
    > > Shortage? Allergy? ??

    >
    > Just very uncommon here.
    >

    The things we take for granted are vast....

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  20. #20
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Cuban roast pork for dinner

    In article <[email protected]>,
    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:28:46 +0200, "Giusi" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > "Ranée at Arabian Knits" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > > >> I can smell it from here! Can't think when I will ever again see 1/2
    > > >> cup
    > > >> of
    > > >> lime juice, though.
    > > >
    > > > Shortage? Allergy? ??

    > >
    > > Just very uncommon here.
    > >

    > The things we take for granted are vast....


    Indeed... At one point last summer, small juicy limes were 25 for $1.00
    at fiesta. And they are not Key Limes either! They shortly dropped to
    10 for $1.00 and held that price for awhile. Now out of season, limes
    are 3 for $1.00 in my area. Lemon prices vary but I've never seen them
    for less than 5 for $1.00.

    But they are both available all year round...
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    "One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
    --Robert Heinlien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32