Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 206

Thread: Creamed corn

  1. #1
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Creamed corn

    Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for? It's dead easy
    to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for recipes
    and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that uses
    onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds really good
    too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this up, unless I
    accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of the creamed
    stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!



  2. #2
    Polly Esther Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    "Julie Bove" <> Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for?
    It's dead easy
    > to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    > some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    > didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for
    > recipes and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that
    > uses onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds
    > really good too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this
    > up, unless I accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of
    > the creamed stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!

    You can make a good side corn dish that is decently close to fresh corn for
    scratch. Drain the creamed corn. Just dump the creamed corn in a
    strainer/sieve/something and let the excess watery stuff drain off. Mix it
    with a couple of different canned corns; try the tiny white and the big
    yellow kernels. Add a tablespoon of butter, a little sugar, salt and
    freshly ground pepper.
    It is not a stellar dish; won't impress the pretentious - but it is a
    good side dish. Folks come back for 2nds and it looks like you spent an
    hour cutting corn fresh from the field. I think the important step is to
    drain canned creamed corn; it is just too soupy to be useful as is. Polly




  3. #3
    Wayne Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On 6/27/2011 12:46 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
    > Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for? It's dead easy
    > to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    > some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    > didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for recipes
    > and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that uses
    > onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds really good
    > too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this up, unless I
    > accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of the creamed
    > stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!
    >
    >

    Try this one, a favorite in our house.

    > Wayne’s Mexican Cornbread
    >
    > 2 cups stone ground cornmeal (1 c white & 1 c yellow)
    > 1 cup Masa Harina or corn flower
    > 3 eggs, beaten
    > 1 cup buttermilk
    > 1 can 15 oz cream style corn
    > 1 can 7 oz diced green chilies
    > 8 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
    > 1 t0 2 diced and seeded jalapenos
    > 1 tsp. salt
    > 1 tbs. baking powder
    > 1 tsp. soda
    > 1/3 cup corn oil
    > 1 tbs sugar
    > 2 tbs butter
    >
    > Mix together eggs and milk, chilies, and corn in a medium-sized mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and cut in oil and cheese with pastry knife, stir into egg mixture. Put butter in a 10 in. cast iron skillet and heat in oven. Pour batter into hot skillet.
    > Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour, test for doneness.



  4. #4
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:42:24 -0500, "Polly Esther"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You can make a good side corn dish that is decently close to fresh corn for
    > scratch. Drain the creamed corn. Just dump the creamed corn in a
    > strainer/sieve/something and let the excess watery stuff drain off. Mix it
    > with a couple of different canned corns; try the tiny white and the big
    > yellow kernels. Add a tablespoon of butter, a little sugar, salt and
    > freshly ground pepper.
    > It is not a stellar dish; won't impress the pretentious - but it is a
    > good side dish. Folks come back for 2nds and it looks like you spent an
    > hour cutting corn fresh from the field. I think the important step is to
    > drain canned creamed corn; it is just too soupy to be useful as is. Polly
    >

    I love creamed corn and have mixed it with whole kernels in the past,
    but it's never occurred to me to drain it. I need to try that
    sometime; so thanks for the idea. I like learning little tricks other
    people use to make food tastier or life easier - minus the paper
    plates and microwave. (Do you line the sieve with a coffee filter?)


    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  5. #5
    Polly Esther Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn


    "sf" <> wrote

    > I love creamed corn and have mixed it with whole kernels in the past,
    > but it's never occurred to me to drain it. I need to try that
    > sometime; so thanks for the idea. I like learning little tricks other
    > people use to make food tastier or life easier - minus the paper
    > plates and microwave. (Do you line the sieve with a coffee filter?)


    No. No filter lining necessary. I just use the big strainer thing that
    looks like it's made from a screen door. Now there's a memory. Don't know
    when I last saw a screened door. Polly


  6. #6
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn


    Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    > Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for? It's dead easy
    > to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    > some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    > didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for recipes
    > and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that uses
    > onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds really good
    > too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this up, unless I
    > accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of the creamed
    > stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!


    Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.

  7. #7
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:07:08 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >Julie Bove wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for? It's dead easy
    >> to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    >> some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    >> didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for recipes
    >> and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that uses
    >> onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds really good
    >> too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this up, unless I
    >> accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of the creamed
    >> stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!

    >
    >Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    >an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.


    It's great in fritters. Hardly trailer park food. I didn't post a
    recipe because I'm sure Julie will come up with a reason she can't eat
    them.

    Lou

  8. #8
    Goomba Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    Pete C. wrote:

    > Julie Bove wrote:
    >> Do you like creamed corn?

    <clipped>

    > Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    > an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.


    Well here is one "trailer park recipe" we enjoy it in-


    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Ground Beef and Corn Pie

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beef Casseroles
    Main Dishes

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons chopped onion
    1 clove garlic -- minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 tablespoon chili powder -- (more if a mild chili powder)
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup milk
    dash hot sauce
    8 ounces creamed corn
    1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

    Combine meat, crumbs, ketchup, onion, garlic, salt, chili powder and sat
    and pepper. Mix till blended. Pat meat lightly and evenly over bottom and
    sides of 9 inch pan.
    Beat eggs with milk and hot sauce. Stir in corn and green pepper. Pour
    into center of pie.
    Bake uncovered, 375 degrees for aboutt 50 min till corn is set.
    Combine cheeses and sprinkle over pie.
    Bake for 5 min longer or till cheese melts.

  9. #9
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn


    Lou Decruss wrote:
    >
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:07:08 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >Julie Bove wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for? It's dead easy
    > >> to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    > >> some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    > >> didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for recipes
    > >> and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that uses
    > >> onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds really good
    > >> too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this up, unless I
    > >> accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of the creamed
    > >> stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!

    > >
    > >Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    > >an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.

    >
    > It's great in fritters. Hardly trailer park food. I didn't post a
    > recipe because I'm sure Julie will come up with a reason she can't eat
    > them.
    >
    > Lou


    I make corn fritters with regular frozen (defrosted) corn niblets, not
    creamed corn.

  10. #10
    James Post Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:07:08 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    >an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.


    First, I don't live in a trailer park. In fact, I never have. I do
    realize that literally millions of other people do, because of their
    personal financial situations. Assholes like you love to insult
    others. Well, here's a news flash for you, you little punk asshole,
    your comment makes you appear lower in class than many of the "trailer
    park people" you make your insults to. You're nothing more than a
    typical Internet punk who hides behind your keyboard and makes threats
    and insults. In real life, you're probably a little timid whiny ****
    eater working at a fast-food joint and living in a rooming house on
    skid row while typing on your PC and playing with your dick. I've read
    a lot of your insults here. All you're doing is projecting your own
    situation. Personally, I'd trust, like and consider anyone who lives
    in a trailer park, before doing so with a little ****ing asshole like
    you. What's the matter boy, your ass-packing boyfriend piss you off
    this morning? What a punk you are.

  11. #11
    James Post Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:20:42 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I make corn fritters with regular frozen (defrosted) corn niblets, not
    >creamed corn.


    Oh, well hell boy, packaged frozen corn is higher class to you than
    canned creamed corn huh? You're a ****ing idiot. Try getting out of
    McDonalds once in awhile you asswipe. Frozen corn my ass. How about if
    you pick some corn out of my **** and eat it, you punk.

  12. #12
    James Post Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:13:08 -0400, Goomba <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Pete C. wrote:
    >
    >> Julie Bove wrote:
    >>> Do you like creamed corn?

    ><clipped>
    >
    >> Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    >> an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.

    >
    >Well here is one "trailer park recipe" we enjoy it in-
    >
    >
    >* Exported from MasterCook *
    >
    > Ground Beef and Corn Pie

    <snip>

    Do you make a "bucket" of the meat, where meat is on 5 sides of the
    corn? Or is the meat only on the four outer sides?

  13. #13
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:20:42 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >Lou Decruss wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:07:08 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> >Julie Bove wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >> Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for? It's dead easy
    >> >> to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    >> >> some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    >> >> didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for recipes
    >> >> and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that uses
    >> >> onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds really good
    >> >> too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this up, unless I
    >> >> accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of the creamed
    >> >> stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!
    >> >
    >> >Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    >> >an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.

    >>
    >> It's great in fritters. Hardly trailer park food. I didn't post a
    >> recipe because I'm sure Julie will come up with a reason she can't eat
    >> them.
    >>
    >> Lou

    >
    >I make corn fritters with regular frozen (defrosted) corn niblets, not
    >creamed corn.


    That's fine and I'm sure they're good. Creamed corn adds a bit of
    sweetness to them that I like. There's a place in the Chicago burbs
    called "White Fence Farm" It's a chicken place and it's pretty famous
    around here. I've talked to them and they gave me the ingredients but
    not the recipe. I found a clone that had the proper ingredients and
    tried it. It's really good stuff and I'm positive it would be not as
    good with just niblets. I did post about this a couple years ago and
    tried different things and this is how I do it now.

    INGREDIENTS

    Vegetable oil for deep-frying

    2 large eggs, slightly beaten

    ¼ teaspoon salt

    1/8 teaspoon white pepper

    One 16-ounce can cream-style corn

    2 teaspoons baking powder

    1½ cup all-purpose flour

    Confectioner’s sugar for dusting

    PREPARATION

    Preheat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep fryer or a deep electric
    skillet. There should be at least 2 inches of oil.

    In a large bowl, beat the eggs, salt and pepper together. Add the
    corn and blend thoroughly. Add the baking powder and flour, but do
    not over stir; some of the flour should be visible. Drop the batter
    by tablespoons into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side,
    or until a light brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle
    immediately with sifted confectioner’s sugar. Serve with warmed maple
    syrup, if desired.

  14. #14
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On 27/06/2011 12:11 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:

    > It's great in fritters. Hardly trailer park food. I didn't post a
    > recipe because I'm sure Julie will come up with a reason she can't eat
    > them.



    ;-)
    I guess you have recognized the pattern too.

  15. #15
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn


    "Julie Bove" <juliebove@frontier[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:iu9cg0$lbd$[email protected]..
    > Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for?


    Canned
    As a base to use up extra grilled corn on the cob.

    Dimitri


  16. #16
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn


    Lou Decruss wrote:
    >
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:20:42 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >Lou Decruss wrote:
    > >>
    > >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:07:08 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    > >> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >
    > >> >Julie Bove wrote:
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for? It's dead easy
    > >> >> to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    > >> >> some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    > >> >> didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for recipes
    > >> >> and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that uses
    > >> >> onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds really good
    > >> >> too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this up, unless I
    > >> >> accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of the creamed
    > >> >> stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!
    > >> >
    > >> >Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    > >> >an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.
    > >>
    > >> It's great in fritters. Hardly trailer park food. I didn't post a
    > >> recipe because I'm sure Julie will come up with a reason she can't eat
    > >> them.
    > >>
    > >> Lou

    > >
    > >I make corn fritters with regular frozen (defrosted) corn niblets, not
    > >creamed corn.

    >
    > That's fine and I'm sure they're good. Creamed corn adds a bit of
    > sweetness to them that I like. There's a place in the Chicago burbs
    > called "White Fence Farm" It's a chicken place and it's pretty famous
    > around here. I've talked to them and they gave me the ingredients but
    > not the recipe. I found a clone that had the proper ingredients and
    > tried it. It's really good stuff and I'm positive it would be not as
    > good with just niblets. I did post about this a couple years ago and
    > tried different things and this is how I do it now.
    >
    > INGREDIENTS
    >
    > Vegetable oil for deep-frying
    >
    > 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
    >
    > ¼ teaspoon salt
    >
    > 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
    >
    > One 16-ounce can cream-style corn
    >
    > 2 teaspoons baking powder
    >
    > 1½ cup all-purpose flour
    >
    > Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
    >
    > PREPARATION
    >
    > Preheat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep fryer or a deep electric
    > skillet. There should be at least 2 inches of oil.
    >
    > In a large bowl, beat the eggs, salt and pepper together. Add the
    > corn and blend thoroughly. Add the baking powder and flour, but do
    > not over stir; some of the flour should be visible. Drop the batter
    > by tablespoons into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side,
    > or until a light brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle
    > immediately with sifted confectioner’s sugar. Serve with warmed maple
    > syrup, if desired.


    Sounds like it would be easy enough to do a double batch and compare
    side by side to assess the difference.

  17. #17
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 00:46:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for? It's dead easy
    >to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    >some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    >didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for recipes
    >and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that uses
    >onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds really good
    >too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this up, unless I
    >accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of the creamed
    >stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!


    I love canned creamed corn, I almost always eat it directly from the
    can as a snack... I don't add anything, not even s n'p because I have
    to share with Jilly... she goes first licking out as much as she can
    reach. Corn is Jilly's favorite, she can eat half an ear of corn, I
    cut it off the cob for her. It's amazing how cats can hear a can
    opener, even when asleep way at the other end of the house, Jilly will
    have her nose right there before I even make one turn with my
    Swing-A-Way. She likes the juice from canned spinach and canned
    aspargus too, she likes niblets, carrots, even garbanzos... Barb will
    be happy to hear that beets have never touched Jilly's lips. lol

  18. #18
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn


    James Post wrote:
    >
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:07:08 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    > >an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.

    >
    > First, I don't live in a trailer park. In fact, I never have. I do
    > realize that literally millions of other people do, because of their
    > personal financial situations. Assholes like you love to insult
    > others. Well, here's a news flash for you, you little punk asshole,
    > your comment makes you appear lower in class than many of the "trailer
    > park people" you make your insults to. You're nothing more than a
    > typical Internet punk who hides behind your keyboard and makes threats
    > and insults. In real life, you're probably a little timid whiny ****
    > eater working at a fast-food joint and living in a rooming house on
    > skid row while typing on your PC and playing with your dick. I've read
    > a lot of your insults here. All you're doing is projecting your own
    > situation. Personally, I'd trust, like and consider anyone who lives
    > in a trailer park, before doing so with a little ****ing asshole like
    > you. What's the matter boy, your ass-packing boyfriend piss you off
    > this morning? What a punk you are.


    Apparently you don't understand the whole "trailer trash" thing.
    "Trailer trash" is a behavioral thing, not a function of where you live.
    There is plenty of "trailer trash" living outside of trailer parks and
    you seem to be an example of such. As for me, I'm sitting at my home
    office desk in my nice house while working my six figure job.

  19. #19
    James Post Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:14:35 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    >James Post wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:07:08 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    >> >an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.

    >>
    >> First, I don't live in a trailer park. In fact, I never have. I do
    >> realize that literally millions of other people do, because of their
    >> personal financial situations. Assholes like you love to insult
    >> others. Well, here's a news flash for you, you little punk asshole,
    >> your comment makes you appear lower in class than many of the "trailer
    >> park people" you make your insults to. You're nothing more than a
    >> typical Internet punk who hides behind your keyboard and makes threats
    >> and insults. In real life, you're probably a little timid whiny ****
    >> eater working at a fast-food joint and living in a rooming house on
    >> skid row while typing on your PC and playing with your dick. I've read
    >> a lot of your insults here. All you're doing is projecting your own
    >> situation. Personally, I'd trust, like and consider anyone who lives
    >> in a trailer park, before doing so with a little ****ing asshole like
    >> you. What's the matter boy, your ass-packing boyfriend piss you off
    >> this morning? What a punk you are.

    >
    >Apparently you don't understand the whole "trailer trash" thing.
    >"Trailer trash" is a behavioral thing, not a function of where you live.
    >There is plenty of "trailer trash" living outside of trailer parks and
    >you seem to be an example of such. As for me, I'm sitting at my home
    >office desk in my nice house while working my six figure job.


    You are such a ****ing idiot. You use expressions you don't even
    understand. Then, you compound it by stressing how well off you are in
    relation to others. Again, you're a ****ing snob and an asshole. Take
    your six figure job and shove it up your ass, you insulting piece of
    ****. You sound just like a redneck talking about how "He don't mean
    no harm to black people when he says ******. ******s might be anyone!"
    You're a conceited, snobby, asshole with a superiority complex.
    "Trailer Trash" is considered by everyone who has their brain on as an
    insult to compare people to those who live in a trailer park or as an
    insult to those who do live in one. It's always made by someone who
    tries to appear superior to someone who has no choice but to live in
    what they can afford. You, asshole, are a snob. **** you and your six
    figure job.

  20. #20
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Creamed corn


    "Pete C." wrote:
    >
    > Lou Decruss wrote:
    > >
    > > On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:20:42 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >
    > > >Lou Decruss wrote:
    > > >>
    > > >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:07:08 -0500, "Pete C." <[email protected]>
    > > >> wrote:
    > > >>
    > > >> >
    > > >> >Julie Bove wrote:
    > > >> >>
    > > >> >> Do you like creamed corn? If so... What do you use it for? It's dead easy
    > > >> >> to make from scratch and I have done so, but... Some time back I bought
    > > >> >> some canned stuff. I used it in an enchilada casserole but daughter just
    > > >> >> didn't like it so I won't be making that again. I was searching for recipes
    > > >> >> and came across a couple for soup that sound good and another that uses
    > > >> >> onion, bacon and parmesan and is baked in the oven. That sounds really good
    > > >> >> too! It's not likely I'll be buying any more after I use this up, unless I
    > > >> >> accidentally buy it. Daughter loves corn but is not a fan of the creamed
    > > >> >> stuff. Seems a lot of people don't like it, but I do!
    > > >> >
    > > >> >Most of us just eat it as it was intended, rather than try to use it as
    > > >> >an ingredient in some trailer park recipe.
    > > >>
    > > >> It's great in fritters. Hardly trailer park food. I didn't post a
    > > >> recipe because I'm sure Julie will come up with a reason she can't eat
    > > >> them.
    > > >>
    > > >> Lou
    > > >
    > > >I make corn fritters with regular frozen (defrosted) corn niblets, not
    > > >creamed corn.

    > >
    > > That's fine and I'm sure they're good. Creamed corn adds a bit of
    > > sweetness to them that I like. There's a place in the Chicago burbs
    > > called "White Fence Farm" It's a chicken place and it's pretty famous
    > > around here. I've talked to them and they gave me the ingredients but
    > > not the recipe. I found a clone that had the proper ingredients and
    > > tried it. It's really good stuff and I'm positive it would be not as
    > > good with just niblets. I did post about this a couple years ago and
    > > tried different things and this is how I do it now.
    > >
    > > INGREDIENTS
    > >
    > > Vegetable oil for deep-frying
    > >
    > > 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
    > >
    > > ¼ teaspoon salt
    > >
    > > 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
    > >
    > > One 16-ounce can cream-style corn
    > >
    > > 2 teaspoons baking powder
    > >
    > > 1½ cup all-purpose flour
    > >
    > > Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
    > >
    > > PREPARATION
    > >
    > > Preheat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep fryer or a deep electric
    > > skillet. There should be at least 2 inches of oil.
    > >
    > > In a large bowl, beat the eggs, salt and pepper together. Add the
    > > corn and blend thoroughly. Add the baking powder and flour, but do
    > > not over stir; some of the flour should be visible. Drop the batter
    > > by tablespoons into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side,
    > > or until a light brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle
    > > immediately with sifted confectioner’s sugar. Serve with warmed maple
    > > syrup, if desired.

    >
    > Sounds like it would be easy enough to do a double batch and compare
    > side by side to assess the difference.


    BTW, you can add your corn to regular Bisquick pancake batter and avoid
    the deep fry mess and some of the fat, with a similar result.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32