Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

  1. #1
    notbob Guest

    Default Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being at
    7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker cooking
    and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in liquid!).
    Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor without adding
    a lot of other flavors. I'll try adding veggies after refining the
    beef-only essence. Thanx.

    nb

  2. #2
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    notbob said...

    > Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being
    > at 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker
    > cooking and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in
    > liquid!). Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor
    > without adding a lot of other flavors. I'll try adding veggies after
    > refining the beef-only essence. Thanx.
    >
    > nb



    Maybe a can or two of French onion soup?

    Andy

  3. #3
    Serene Vannoy Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    notbob wrote:
    > Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being at
    > 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker cooking
    > and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in liquid!).
    > Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor without adding
    > a lot of other flavors. I'll try adding veggies after refining the
    > beef-only essence. Thanx.


    I do mine in a pressure-cooker, and I usually just add a minimal amount
    of water, a generous amount of garlic, onions (fresh or dried -- no
    onion soup mix, thank you), salt, and pepper.

    Serene

    --
    42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
    http://42magazine.com

    "I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
    the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

  4. #4
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    On 2009-02-26, Serene Vannoy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I do mine in a pressure-cooker, and I usually just add a minimal amount
    > of water, a generous amount of garlic, onions (fresh or dried -- no
    > onion soup mix, thank you), salt, and pepper.


    Sounds like what I had in mind, Serene. Howzabout a dash of worchestershire?

    nb

  5. #5
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bobo_Bonobo=AE?= Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    On Feb 26, 9:39*am, Serene Vannoy <ser...@serenepages.org> wrote:
    > notbob wrote:
    > > Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. *Being at
    > > 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker cooking
    > > and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in liquid!)..
    > > Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor without adding
    > > a lot of other flavors. *I'll try adding veggies after refining the
    > > beef-only essence. *Thanx. *

    >
    > I do mine in a pressure-cooker, and I usually just add a minimal amount
    > of water, a generous amount of garlic, onions (fresh or dried -- no
    > onion soup mix, thank you), salt, and pepper.


    I bet you don't add ketchup either.
    >
    > Serene
    >
    > --
    > 42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!http://42magazine.com
    >
    > "I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
    > the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins


    Hehe.

    --Bryan

  6. #6
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    In article <ltypl.21201$[email protected]>,
    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being at
    > 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker cooking
    > and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in liquid!).
    > Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor without adding
    > a lot of other flavors. I'll try adding veggies after refining the
    > beef-only essence. Thanx.
    >
    > nb


    Chuck won't take long in a PC. I'd time it (personally) for 25 minutes
    after it comes up to pressure. Hard/root veggies can be cooked with it
    for a single "pot roast".
    --
    Peace! Om

    I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

  7. #7
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    Serene Vannoy wrote:
    > notbob wrote:
    >> Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being at
    >> 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both
    >> for quicker cooking and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for
    >> cooking meat in liquid!). Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that
    >> enhances beef flavor without adding a lot of other flavors. I'll
    >> try adding veggies after refining the beef-only essence. Thanx.

    >
    > I do mine in a pressure-cooker, and I usually just add a minimal
    > amount of water, a generous amount of garlic, onions (fresh or dried
    > -- no onion soup mix, thank you), salt, and pepper.
    >
    > Serene

    The only thing I do differently is to brown the onions and roast before
    putting it in the pressure cooker with water to about half way up the roast.
    Salt and pepper of course. After the meat is mostly done I add potatoes and
    carrots and let the whole thing cook without pressure -- takes maybe another
    20 minutes and avoids overcooking the veggies.
    Janet



  8. #8
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    On 2009-02-26, Janet Bostwick <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The only thing I do differently is to brown the onions and roast before
    > putting it in the pressure cooker.......


    At least the roast. Good catch.

    > with water to about half way up the roast.


    I'm gonna go with jes touch roast at top of off-bottom plate.

    > Salt and pepper of course. After the meat is mostly done I add potatoes and
    > carrots and let the whole thing cook without pressure -- takes maybe another
    > 20 minutes and avoids overcooking the veggies.


    Agreed. Maybe at half pressure for 10 mins. I'm still playing with this
    altitude thing. Very weird. My quiche tasted great, but took 50% more time
    and was a bit dry.

    nb



  9. #9
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    Omelet said...

    > In article <ltypl.21201$[email protected]>,
    > notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being
    >> at 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker
    >> cooking and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in
    >> liquid!). Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor
    >> without adding a lot of other flavors. I'll try adding veggies after
    >> refining the beef-only essence. Thanx.
    >>
    >> nb

    >
    > Chuck won't take long in a PC. I'd time it (personally) for 25 minutes
    > after it comes up to pressure. Hard/root veggies can be cooked with it
    > for a single "pot roast".



    Om,

    Is pot roast going to brown in a PC?

    Best,

    Andy

  10. #10
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    On 2009-02-26, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Is pot roast going to brown in a PC?


    Of course. Not gonna waste all that good fond.

    nb

  11. #11
    hahabogus Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    notbob <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:nwApl.21656$[email protected]:

    > On 2009-02-26, Janet Bostwick <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The only thing I do differently is to brown the onions and roast
    >> before putting it in the pressure cooker.......

    >
    > At least the roast. Good catch.
    >
    >> with water to about half way up the roast.

    >
    > I'm gonna go with jes touch roast at top of off-bottom plate.
    >
    >> Salt and pepper of course. After the meat is mostly done I add
    >> potatoes and carrots and let the whole thing cook without pressure --
    >> takes maybe another 20 minutes and avoids overcooking the veggies.

    >
    > Agreed. Maybe at half pressure for 10 mins. I'm still playing with
    > this altitude thing. Very weird. My quiche tasted great, but took
    > 50% more time and was a bit dry.
    >
    > nb
    >
    >
    >


    try using some beer instead of water, or try some beef consumee. Maggi
    Sauce has a nice 'beefy' flavor but is a tad high in salt.

    --

    The beet goes on -Alan




  12. #12
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    notbob wrote:
    > On 2009-02-26, Janet Bostwick <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The only thing I do differently is to brown the onions and roast
    >> before putting it in the pressure cooker.......

    >
    > At least the roast. Good catch.

    snip
    > nb


    Browning the onions adds flavor and color to the gravy. By the time you're
    done with pressuring, the onions are mostly dissolved. I do the same if I
    am cooking the pot roast the cook top slow way. Makes a big difference.
    Janet



  13. #13
    Theron Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker


    "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:ltypl.21201$[email protected]..
    > Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being at
    > 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker
    > cooking
    > and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in liquid!).
    > Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor without
    > adding
    > a lot of other flavors. I'll try adding veggies after refining the
    > beef-only essence. Thanx.
    >
    > nb


    I'd try making Boeuf Bourguignon. I'd simmer the wine on top of the stove
    for a bit to get rid of the alcohol components. We don't use burgundy
    because of its price. Use any fruity California red wine. An inexpensive
    Zinfandel, merlot, or cabernet works just fine. I'd set the pressure low
    enough to allow the chuck to slowly break down, as you do at sea level.
    Chuck needs time and a low temp to achieve the tenderness you want. Look at
    this recipe from Gourmet Magazine.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...guignon-104754

    Ed






  14. #14
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    In article <[email protected]>, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Omelet said...
    >
    > > In article <ltypl.21201$[email protected]>,
    > > notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being
    > >> at 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker
    > >> cooking and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in
    > >> liquid!). Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor
    > >> without adding a lot of other flavors. I'll try adding veggies after
    > >> refining the beef-only essence. Thanx.
    > >>
    > >> nb

    > >
    > > Chuck won't take long in a PC. I'd time it (personally) for 25 minutes
    > > after it comes up to pressure. Hard/root veggies can be cooked with it
    > > for a single "pot roast".

    >
    >
    > Om,
    >
    > Is pot roast going to brown in a PC?
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Andy


    Only if you brown it ahead of time before you START the PC.
    --
    Peace! Om

    I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

  15. #15
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    In article <[email protected]>,
    hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:

    > notbob <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:nwApl.21656$[email protected]:
    >
    > > On 2009-02-26, Janet Bostwick <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> The only thing I do differently is to brown the onions and roast
    > >> before putting it in the pressure cooker.......

    > >
    > > At least the roast. Good catch.
    > >
    > >> with water to about half way up the roast.

    > >
    > > I'm gonna go with jes touch roast at top of off-bottom plate.
    > >
    > >> Salt and pepper of course. After the meat is mostly done I add
    > >> potatoes and carrots and let the whole thing cook without pressure --
    > >> takes maybe another 20 minutes and avoids overcooking the veggies.

    > >
    > > Agreed. Maybe at half pressure for 10 mins. I'm still playing with
    > > this altitude thing. Very weird. My quiche tasted great, but took
    > > 50% more time and was a bit dry.
    > >
    > > nb
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    > try using some beer instead of water, or try some beef consumee. Maggi
    > Sauce has a nice 'beefy' flavor but is a tad high in salt.


    Try some leftover coffee.

    Seriously.
    --
    Peace! Om

    I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

  16. #16
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker


    "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:ltypl.21201$[email protected]..
    > Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being at
    > 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker
    > cooking
    > and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in liquid!).
    > Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor without
    > adding
    > a lot of other flavors. I'll try adding veggies after refining the
    > beef-only essence. Thanx.
    >
    > nb


    Add tomatoes and/or mushrooms as they are naturally high in glutamate -
    Glutamate is perceived as a beefy or meaty flavor.

    see Umami.

    Dimitri


  17. #17
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    On 2009-02-26, hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:

    > try using some beer instead of water, or try some beef consumee. Maggi
    > Sauce has a nice 'beefy' flavor but is a tad high in salt.


    I was gonna try some Better Than Boullion and reduce the salt.

    nb

  18. #18
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    On 2009-02-26, Omelet <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Try some leftover coffee.
    >
    > Seriously.


    I have no doubt. I've used coffee as a flavor component for years. Now
    that I have my espresso machine back up, I plan on resuming that good ol'
    dash o' joe. In fact, that reminds me of why my last few batches of
    notbob's beans have lacked that certain someting.

    nb

  19. #19
    Nexis Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker


    "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:ltypl.21201$[email protected]..
    > Local store has good sale on chuck, so I thought I'd experiment. Being at
    > 7200 ft elev, I figured I'd use my pressure cooker, both for quicker
    > cooking
    > and less liquid (you all know my abhorance for cooking meat in liquid!).
    > Anyway, anyone have a simple recipe that enhances beef flavor without
    > adding
    > a lot of other flavors. I'll try adding veggies after refining the
    > beef-only essence. Thanx.
    >
    > nb


    My uncle Jimmy makes the best pot roast I've had since Grandma Ma passed
    away...he does it in the pressure cooker with just a good cut of beef (a
    good chuck, 7 bone, etc), seasoned with salt & pepper, with quartered
    onions. It's always tender and tasty and the gravy's good too. I'll ask my
    mom if there's anything I'm missing but I think that's it.

    kimberly



  20. #20
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Chuck pot roast in pressurecooker

    On 2009-02-26, Theron <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'd try making Boeuf Bourguignon.


    I ran across this recipe earlier today, but thanks just the same. I'm
    definitely going to try it when I get a bottle of wine.

    > An inexpensive Zinfandel.....


    Not familiar with such an animal.

    nb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32