Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Chipotle Mayonaisse

  1. #1
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default Chipotle Mayonaisse

    My 15-year-old love the chipotle mayo they give out in little plastic
    container at the local take-out Mexican place - and so do I.

    So I asked, one time when I was there picking up an order, if they could
    tell me where to get chipotle mayo - the guy said they sell it at our
    local grocery store - so today, I looked, and even asked for help but no
    dice, they don't sell it.

    I broke down and ordered a few cans of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
    on the Internet

    http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Chipo...dobo-Sauce.asp

    I then looked up a "recipe" which was pretty funny - take 1/2 cup of
    mayo, 2 chipotle peppers, and 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce the
    peppers came in, put it all in a blender and mix it up. I think I
    probably could have figured that out for myself. Being a little
    sloppy getting the peppers out of the can probably yields a tablespoon
    of the sauce right there.

    Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for chipotle mayo?
    I'm guessing that more isn't necessary since the adobo sauce effectively
    provides whatever seasoning is needed.

    TIA.

    -S-



  2. #2
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > My 15-year-old love the chipotle mayo they give out in little plastic
    > container at the local take-out Mexican place - and so do I.
    >
    > So I asked, one time when I was there picking up an order, if they could
    > tell me where to get chipotle mayo - the guy said they sell it at our
    > local grocery store - so today, I looked, and even asked for help but no
    > dice, they don't sell it.
    >
    > I broke down and ordered a few cans of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
    > on the Internet
    >
    > http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Chipo...dobo-Sauce.asp
    >
    > I then looked up a "recipe" which was pretty funny - take 1/2 cup of
    > mayo, 2 chipotle peppers, and 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce the
    > peppers came in, put it all in a blender and mix it up. I think I
    > probably could have figured that out for myself. Being a little
    > sloppy getting the peppers out of the can probably yields a tablespoon
    > of the sauce right there.
    >
    > Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for chipotle mayo?
    > I'm guessing that more isn't necessary since the adobo sauce effectively
    > provides whatever seasoning is needed.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > -S-
    >
    >

    One often sees a bit of lime juice added to chipotle mayo.

    --

  3. #3
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    Jean B. wrote:
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >> My 15-year-old love the chipotle mayo they give out in little plastic
    >> container at the local take-out Mexican place - and so do I.
    >>
    >> So I asked, one time when I was there picking up an order, if they
    >> could tell me where to get chipotle mayo - the guy said they sell it
    >> at our local grocery store - so today, I looked, and even asked for
    >> help but no dice, they don't sell it.
    >>
    >> I broke down and ordered a few cans of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
    >> Sauce on the Internet
    >>
    >> http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Chipo...dobo-Sauce.asp
    >>
    >> I then looked up a "recipe" which was pretty funny - take 1/2 cup of
    >> mayo, 2 chipotle peppers, and 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce the
    >> peppers came in, put it all in a blender and mix it up. I think I
    >> probably could have figured that out for myself. Being a little
    >> sloppy getting the peppers out of the can probably yields a
    >> tablespoon of the sauce right there.
    >>
    >> Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for chipotle mayo?
    >> I'm guessing that more isn't necessary since the adobo sauce
    >> effectively provides whatever seasoning is needed.
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>
    >> -S-
    >>
    >>

    > One often sees a bit of lime juice added to chipotle mayo.


    We keep lime juice around - like it in iced tea - so we'll give that a
    try. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

    -S-



  4. #4
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for
    > chipotle mayo? I'm guessing that more isn't necessary since
    > the adobo sauce effectively provides whatever seasoning is
    > needed.



    Steve,

    Maybe an easier technique would be to separately puree the
    chipotle peppers in a coffee grinder. Use a wax paper plate
    instead of the clear plastic cap then upside down the it all
    over the paper plate and grind a few seconds more. That will
    allow the puree to spill onto the plate. Then add the mayo and
    adobo sauce to the plate and fork combine it all together.
    Then sweep it into the to-go micro resealable dipping tubs.

    How would I improvise the mayo, maybe add a measure of red
    onion to puree with the peppers.

    Or not.

    Best,

    Andy


    While a tad convoluted solution but less is left to waste in
    the food processor.

  5. #5
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    On 10/7/2012 1:35 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
    > Jean B. wrote:
    >> Steve Freides wrote:
    >>> My 15-year-old love the chipotle mayo they give out in little plastic
    >>> container at the local take-out Mexican place - and so do I.
    >>>
    >>> So I asked, one time when I was there picking up an order, if they
    >>> could tell me where to get chipotle mayo - the guy said they sell it
    >>> at our local grocery store - so today, I looked, and even asked for
    >>> help but no dice, they don't sell it.
    >>>
    >>> I broke down and ordered a few cans of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
    >>> Sauce on the Internet
    >>>
    >>> http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Chipo...dobo-Sauce.asp
    >>>
    >>> I then looked up a "recipe" which was pretty funny - take 1/2 cup of
    >>> mayo, 2 chipotle peppers, and 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce the
    >>> peppers came in, put it all in a blender and mix it up. I think I
    >>> probably could have figured that out for myself. Being a little
    >>> sloppy getting the peppers out of the can probably yields a
    >>> tablespoon of the sauce right there.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for chipotle mayo?
    >>> I'm guessing that more isn't necessary since the adobo sauce
    >>> effectively provides whatever seasoning is needed.
    >>>
    >>> TIA.
    >>>
    >>> -S-
    >>>
    >>>

    >> One often sees a bit of lime juice added to chipotle mayo.

    >
    > We keep lime juice around - like it in iced tea - so we'll give that a
    > try. Thanks very much for the suggestion.
    >
    > -S-
    >
    >

    I have a source of lime juice too, it's called fresh limes and they are
    relatively inexpensive.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

  6. #6
    jt august Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    In article <k4sbji$lbn$[email protected]>,
    "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for chipotle mayo?


    Not so much easier as simpler. Ground dried chipotle. Use a 1/4-1/2
    tsp per cup of mayo (vary heat to taste). Allow to set an marry for a
    few hours in the fridge.


    From here, a nice use for this mayo. Grill corn on the cob (there are
    several techniques to choose from). Peel the husk back, glaze with this
    chippy mayo, sprinkle with fine shredded parmesan cheese.

    jt

  7. #7
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse


    Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    > My 15-year-old love the chipotle mayo they give out in little plastic
    > container at the local take-out Mexican place - and so do I.
    >
    > So I asked, one time when I was there picking up an order, if they could
    > tell me where to get chipotle mayo - the guy said they sell it at our
    > local grocery store - so today, I looked, and even asked for help but no
    > dice, they don't sell it.
    >
    > I broke down and ordered a few cans of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
    > on the Internet
    >
    > http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Chipo...dobo-Sauce.asp
    >
    > I then looked up a "recipe" which was pretty funny - take 1/2 cup of
    > mayo, 2 chipotle peppers, and 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce the
    > peppers came in, put it all in a blender and mix it up. I think I
    > probably could have figured that out for myself. Being a little
    > sloppy getting the peppers out of the can probably yields a tablespoon
    > of the sauce right there.
    >
    > Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for chipotle mayo?
    > I'm guessing that more isn't necessary since the adobo sauce effectively
    > provides whatever seasoning is needed.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > -S-


    If you can find it there is a McCormick brand chipotle mayo (and
    jalapeno and lime varieties) from Mexico that is fantastic. The
    Albertson's around here carried it, but seem to have stopped so I need
    to find another source before I run out.

  8. #8
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 12:45:41 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:

    > I broke down and ordered a few cans of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
    > on the Internet
    >
    > http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Chipo...dobo-Sauce.asp


    You can't find chipotle peppers at a local grocery store? I would
    think they would be fairly available in any Pudunk, USA.

    Hellmans makes a chipotle mayo. It's in a squeeze bottle, not a jar.

    > I then looked up a "recipe" which was pretty funny - take 1/2 cup of
    > mayo, 2 chipotle peppers, and 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce the
    > peppers came in, put it all in a blender and mix it up. I think I
    > probably could have figured that out for myself. Being a little
    > sloppy getting the peppers out of the can probably yields a tablespoon
    > of the sauce right there.


    That sound potent. You may want to use at least a cup[ of mayo for
    that much chipotle.

    Try adding lime or orange juice concentrate.

    -sw

  9. #9
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 12:46:51 -0500, Andy wrote:

    > Maybe an easier technique would be to separately puree the
    > chipotle peppers in a coffee grinder.


    Is he dumb or just plain stupid?

    > Use a wax paper plate
    > instead of the clear plastic cap then upside down the it all
    > over the paper plate and grind a few seconds more. That will
    > allow the puree to spill onto the plate. Then add the mayo and
    > adobo sauce to the plate and fork combine it all together.


    Or you could just do like normal, intelligent people and use a STICK
    BLENDER.

    Duh!

    Tell us how you even manage to tie your shoes, Andy.

    -sw

  10. #10
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 12:45:41 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:

    > Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for chipotle mayo?
    > I'm guessing that more isn't necessary since the adobo sauce effectively
    > provides whatever seasoning is needed.


    Don't overlook sriracha mayo, either. It's even better than chipotle
    mayo, IMO.

    -sw

  11. #11
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You can't find chipotle peppers at a local grocery store? I would
    >think they would be fairly available in any Pudunk, USA.


    You can find the completely dried chipotles in 2- to 4-oz bags, in the
    same aisle as the dried New Mexico peppers, dried Chile Negro,
    dried arbol, etc. etc.

    What I haven't seen in stores is fresher, yet still smoked, chipotles.
    I would think for some purposes you would want the peppers still juicy.
    This is the sort of thing a restaurant, or motivated home chef,
    would be able to pull off.


    Steve

  12. #12
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 19:26:59 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

    > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>You can't find chipotle peppers at a local grocery store? I would
    >>think they would be fairly available in any Pudunk, USA.

    >
    > You can find the completely dried chipotles in 2- to 4-oz bags, in the
    > same aisle as the dried New Mexico peppers, dried Chile Negro,
    > dried arbol, etc. etc.


    Strangely enough, I have never seen dried chipotles in a Mexican
    market, only canned.

    > What I haven't seen in stores is fresher, yet still smoked, chipotles.
    > I would think for some purposes you would want the peppers still juicy.


    Those would have a pretty short shelf life. Farmers market fare.

    -sw

  13. #13
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 19:26:59 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:


    >> You can find the completely dried chipotles in 2- to 4-oz bags, in the
    >> same aisle as the dried New Mexico peppers, dried Chile Negro,
    >> dried arbol, etc. etc.


    >Strangely enough, I have never seen dried chipotles in a Mexican
    >market, only canned.


    Right, I forgot about the canned ones. They are not that great
    quality - a little slimy.

    Steve

  14. #14
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    Steve Pope wrote:

    > What I haven't seen in stores is fresher, yet still smoked, chipotles.
    > I would think for some purposes you would want the peppers still juicy.
    > This is the sort of thing a restaurant, or motivated home chef,
    > would be able to pull off.


    How about the tex-mex aisle? They come in cans around here, usually
    immersed in tomato sauce.



  15. #15
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 20:06:33 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

    > Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 19:26:59 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

    >
    >>> You can find the completely dried chipotles in 2- to 4-oz bags, in the
    >>> same aisle as the dried New Mexico peppers, dried Chile Negro,
    >>> dried arbol, etc. etc.

    >
    >>Strangely enough, I have never seen dried chipotles in a Mexican
    >>market, only canned.

    >
    > Right, I forgot about the canned ones. They are not that great
    > quality - a little slimy.


    Most of the cans are too tobaccoey for me. I still have a couple 2oz
    and 5oz cans in the pantry for marinades. What I really like is the
    San Marcos Brand Chipotle Sauce/salsa.

    http://www.amazon.com/Empacadora-San.../dp/B000H23Z2Q

    This **** rocks as a taco or burrito sauce. I always have 2-3 cans in
    the pantry.

    And I always have plenty of the dried tan colored "true" chipotles on
    hand (from the White boy market). Dirt cheap at $5.88/lb.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

    -sw

  16. #16
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    George M. Middius wrote:
    > Steve Pope wrote:
    >
    >> What I haven't seen in stores is fresher, yet still smoked,
    >> chipotles. I would think for some purposes you would want the
    >> peppers still juicy. This is the sort of thing a restaurant, or
    >> motivated home chef,
    >> would be able to pull off.

    >
    > How about the tex-mex aisle? They come in cans around here, usually
    > immersed in tomato sauce.


    I was in the ethnic hispanic section of the store, and where they keep
    the regular mayo, with a hispanic employee of the store who I've seen
    many times before, a nice, responsible adult. The chain was Stop 'N'
    Shop, one of the more popular grocery stores around here. They just
    don't carry it, neither the canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce nor
    chipotle mayo.

    -S-



  17. #17
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    James Silverton wrote:
    > On 10/7/2012 1:35 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
    >> Jean B. wrote:
    >>> Steve Freides wrote:
    >>>> My 15-year-old love the chipotle mayo they give out in little
    >>>> plastic container at the local take-out Mexican place - and so do
    >>>> I. So I asked, one time when I was there picking up an order, if
    >>>> they
    >>>> could tell me where to get chipotle mayo - the guy said they sell
    >>>> it at our local grocery store - so today, I looked, and even asked
    >>>> for help but no dice, they don't sell it.
    >>>>
    >>>> I broke down and ordered a few cans of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo
    >>>> Sauce on the Internet
    >>>>
    >>>> http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Chipo...dobo-Sauce.asp
    >>>>
    >>>> I then looked up a "recipe" which was pretty funny - take 1/2 cup
    >>>> of mayo, 2 chipotle peppers, and 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
    >>>> the peppers came in, put it all in a blender and mix it up. I
    >>>> think I probably could have figured that out for myself. Being
    >>>> a little sloppy getting the peppers out of the can probably yields
    >>>> a tablespoon of the sauce right there.
    >>>>
    >>>> Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for chipotle
    >>>> mayo? I'm guessing that more isn't necessary since the adobo sauce
    >>>> effectively provides whatever seasoning is needed.
    >>>>
    >>>> TIA.
    >>>>
    >>>> -S-
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> One often sees a bit of lime juice added to chipotle mayo.

    >>
    >> We keep lime juice around - like it in iced tea - so we'll give that
    >> a try. Thanks very much for the suggestion.
    >>
    >> -S-
    >>
    >>

    > I have a source of lime juice too, it's called fresh limes and they
    > are relatively inexpensive.


    I'm very happy for you. We generally go with fresh lemons but a jar of
    lime juice because we don't use lime juice that often and we just end up
    throwing them away.

    -S-



  18. #18
    Steve Freides Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    jt august wrote:
    > In article <k4sbji$lbn$[email protected]>,
    > "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone else do anything more interesting than that for chipotle mayo?

    >
    > Not so much easier as simpler. Ground dried chipotle. Use a 1/4-1/2
    > tsp per cup of mayo (vary heat to taste). Allow to set an marry for a
    > few hours in the fridge.
    >
    >
    > From here, a nice use for this mayo. Grill corn on the cob (there are
    > several techniques to choose from). Peel the husk back, glaze with
    > this chippy mayo, sprinkle with fine shredded parmesan cheese.
    >
    > jt


    Ground, dried chipotle - OK, I'll look for that, too.

    -S-



  19. #19
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    Steve Freides wrote:

    > Ground, dried chipotle - OK, I'll look for that, too.


    McCormick has one, but like all their products, it's overpriced.



  20. #20
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Chipotle Mayonaisse

    On Oct 7, 2:16*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 12:46:51 -0500, Andy wrote:
    > > Maybe an easier technique would be to separately puree the
    > > chipotle peppers in a coffee grinder.

    >
    > Is he dumb or just plain stupid?
    >
    > > Use a wax paper plate
    > > instead of the clear plastic cap then upside down the it all
    > > over the paper plate and grind a few seconds more. That will
    > > allow the puree to spill onto the plate. Then add the mayo and
    > > adobo sauce to the plate and fork combine it all together.

    >
    > Or you could just do like normal, intelligent people and use a STICK
    > BLENDER.
    >
    > Duh!
    >
    > Tell us how you even manage to tie your shoes, Andy.


    But when you start out with canned chipotles and jarred mayo, it
    doesn't matter much how you combine them.
    >
    > -sw


    --Bryan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32