Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:11:21 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:

    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:48:50 -0500, Sqwertz <swer[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>ObFood: Chinese chicken salad and hot and sour soup is on the menu
    >>for today.

    >
    > what is Chinese chicken salad? Preparation hints, please


    You been living under a rock?! :-)

    Shredded chicken, shredded lettuce, water chestnuts, green onions,
    toasted sesame seeds, fried chicken skins, and crispy fried bean
    thread noodles. All tossed with together with a sweet
    sesame-soy-ginger dressing.

    Shoot, I'm out of ginger. I planted the last of it! Ahh, but I have
    crystallized ginger...

    -sw

  2. #2
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >
    > what is Chinese chicken salad? Preparation hints, please


    Hah... there are many thousands of versions on the net. However I
    think the secret to a good Chinese salad is the dressing. I include
    apple cider vinegar, sunflower oil, sesame oil, peanut butter, hot
    oriental mustard, grated ginger, white pepper, red pepper flakes
    (optional), and soy sauce. All quantities to taste. For salad
    ingredients; cold roast chicken breast cubed, stir fried asparagus,
    shredded napa cabbage, diced red bell pepper, sliced scallions,
    julienned carrot, mandarin orange segments or pineapple chunks,
    peanuts or cashews... actually one can use any veggies/fruit. If you
    want instead of chicken use shrimp, heck use both. I like to serve
    this on a bed of cold ramen noodles. Don't forget Jello for dessert.


  3. #3
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:44:28 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:11:21 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:48:50 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>ObFood: Chinese chicken salad and hot and sour soup is on the menu
    >>>for today.

    >>
    >> what is Chinese chicken salad? Preparation hints, please

    >
    >You been living under a rock?! :-)

    yes

    >-sw

    I've never had any, known anyone who makes it, or seen it anywhere.
    The only place I may have heard of it is on an old Paula Deen show and
    that isn't exactly a recommendation.
    Janet US

  4. #4
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    On 30/09/2012 6:20 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

    >>
    >> You been living under a rock?! :-)

    > yes
    >
    >> -sw

    > I've never had any, known anyone who makes it, or seen it anywhere.
    > The only place I may have heard of it is on an old Paula Deen show and
    > that isn't exactly a recommendation.
    > Janet US
    >



    Ditto. I have never heard of it until now. I Googled it. The recipes are
    foreign to me. I looked at some photos.... never saw anything like it. I
    have been to many Chinese restaurants and never saw it on the menu... or
    any other salad.

    Ahh... it has soy sauce..... ah so... it is Chinese.

  5. #5
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:20:27 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:

    > I've never had any, known anyone who makes it, or seen it anywhere.
    > The only place I may have heard of it is on an old Paula Deen show and
    > that isn't exactly a recommendation.


    I guess you don't see it on very many menus, but it's a popular
    pre-made salad or kit at the grocery stores.

    Here's today's rendition:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

    Shredded lettuce, shredded chicken breast, green onions, fried chicken
    skins, fried crispy bean thread noodles, julienned carrot, cilantro,
    diced water chestnuts, toasted sesame seeds, and crushed cashews.

    Dressing is rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, water, peanut oil, toasted
    black sesame oil, black vinegar, grated ginger (I did have some),
    mustard powder, minced Thai bird chiles, and white pepper.

    Nearly carbless and fat free (you don't really need oil or sugar in
    the dressing), and very tasty. ^That was the first of two bowls for
    me.

    -sw

  6. #6
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:27:38 -0400, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 30/09/2012 6:20 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >
    > >>
    > >> You been living under a rock?! :-)

    > > yes
    > >
    > >> -sw

    > > I've never had any, known anyone who makes it, or seen it anywhere.
    > > The only place I may have heard of it is on an old Paula Deen show and
    > > that isn't exactly a recommendation.
    > > Janet US
    > >

    >
    >
    > Ditto. I have never heard of it until now. I Googled it. The recipes are
    > foreign to me. I looked at some photos.... never saw anything like it. I
    > have been to many Chinese restaurants and never saw it on the menu... or
    > any other salad.
    >
    > Ahh... it has soy sauce..... ah so... it is Chinese.


    Food and Wine has a pretty good explanation of Chinese Chicken Salad.
    http://www.theworldwidewine.com/Wine...cken_Salad.php
    It's not Chinese and is perpetrated by places like California Pizza
    Kitchen. It's actually pretty good stuff, if somewhat passe. Don't
    forget to puff up some rice noodles to use as a garnish if you decide
    to make it. Please don't use ramen or anything like it.



    --
    I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

  7. #7
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:11:37 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:20:27 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >
    >> I've never had any, known anyone who makes it, or seen it anywhere.
    >> The only place I may have heard of it is on an old Paula Deen show and
    >> that isn't exactly a recommendation.

    >
    >I guess you don't see it on very many menus, but it's a popular
    >pre-made salad or kit at the grocery stores.
    >
    >Here's today's rendition:
    >
    >http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
    >
    >Shredded lettuce, shredded chicken breast, green onions, fried chicken
    >skins, fried crispy bean thread noodles, julienned carrot, cilantro,
    >diced water chestnuts, toasted sesame seeds, and crushed cashews.
    >
    >Dressing is rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, water, peanut oil, toasted
    >black sesame oil, black vinegar, grated ginger (I did have some),
    >mustard powder, minced Thai bird chiles, and white pepper.
    >
    >Nearly carbless and fat free (you don't really need oil or sugar in
    >the dressing), and very tasty. ^That was the first of two bowls for
    >me.
    >
    >-sw


    O.k., that looks good. . .I'll have to try it.
    Thanks
    Janet US

  8. #8
    Roy Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad

    On Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:11:32 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 16:20:27 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > I've never had any, known anyone who makes it, or seen it anywhere.

    >
    > > The only place I may have heard of it is on an old Paula Deen show and

    >
    > > that isn't exactly a recommendation.

    >
    >
    >
    > I guess you don't see it on very many menus, but it's a popular
    >
    > pre-made salad or kit at the grocery stores.
    >
    >
    >
    > Here's today's rendition:
    >
    >
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
    >
    >
    >
    > Shredded lettuce, shredded chicken breast, green onions, fried chicken
    >
    > skins, fried crispy bean thread noodles, julienned carrot, cilantro,
    >
    > diced water chestnuts, toasted sesame seeds, and crushed cashews.
    >
    >
    >
    > Dressing is rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, water, peanut oil, toasted
    >
    > black sesame oil, black vinegar, grated ginger (I did have some),
    >
    > mustard powder, minced Thai bird chiles, and white pepper.
    >
    >
    >
    > Nearly carbless and fat free (you don't really need oil or sugar in
    >
    > the dressing), and very tasty. ^That was the first of two bowls for
    >
    > me.
    >
    >
    >
    > -sw


    Only an oinker would eat that much salad at a sitting.

  9. #9
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    On 9/30/2012 1:16 PM, sf wrote:
    > Food and Wine has a pretty good explanation of Chinese Chicken Salad.
    > http://www.theworldwidewine.com/Wine...cken_Salad.php
    > It's not Chinese and is perpetrated by places like California Pizza
    > Kitchen. It's actually pretty good stuff, if somewhat passe. Don't
    > forget to puff up some rice noodles to use as a garnish if you decide
    > to make it. Please don't use ramen or anything like it.


    That salad is served in most restaurants here. I don't care much for
    salads but most places serve it with won ton pi strips which is
    available already made in stores here.

  10. #10
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad

    On 9/30/2012 8:41 PM, Roy wrote:

    > On Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:11:32 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:



    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    Shredded lettuce, shredded chicken breast, green onions, fried chicken
    >>
    >> skins, fried crispy bean thread noodles, julienned carrot,
    >> cilantro,
    >>
    >> diced water chestnuts, toasted sesame seeds, and crushed cashews.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Dressing is rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, water, peanut oil,
    >> toasted
    >>
    >> black sesame oil, black vinegar, grated ginger (I did have some),
    >>
    >> mustard powder, minced Thai bird chiles, and white pepper.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Nearly carbless and fat free (you don't really need oil or sugar
    >> in
    >>
    >> the dressing), and very tasty. ^That was the first of two bowls
    >> for
    >>
    >> me.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > Only an oinker would eat that much salad at a sitting.
    >


    What exactly do you have to gauge the size of that? The only thing I
    can see to gauge size is on cashew and based on that, it doesn't look
    huge. But even if it is, that's a healthy way to fill yourself up.

    Quoting your posts is really ugly. Why so many spaces between each line?

  11. #11
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:11:21 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:48:50 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> ObFood: Chinese chicken salad and hot and sour soup is on the menu
    >>> for today.

    >>
    >> what is Chinese chicken salad? Preparation hints, please

    >
    > You been living under a rock?! :-)
    >
    > Shredded chicken, shredded lettuce, water chestnuts, green onions,
    > toasted sesame seeds, fried chicken skins, and crispy fried bean
    > thread noodles. All tossed with together with a sweet
    > sesame-soy-ginger dressing.
    >
    > Shoot, I'm out of ginger. I planted the last of it! Ahh, but I have
    > crystallized ginger...
    >
    > -sw


    Where does one find Chinese chickens?



  12. #12
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    Nunya Bidnits <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Where does one find Chinese chickens?


    Parts of Honolulu would seem a safe bet.


    Steve

  13. #13
    George Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    On 9/30/2012 6:27 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
    > On 30/09/2012 6:20 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >
    >>>
    >>> You been living under a rock?! :-)

    >> yes
    >>
    >>> -sw

    >> I've never had any, known anyone who makes it, or seen it anywhere.
    >> The only place I may have heard of it is on an old Paula Deen show and
    >> that isn't exactly a recommendation.
    >> Janet US
    >>

    >
    >
    > Ditto. I have never heard of it until now. I Googled it. The recipes are
    > foreign to me. I looked at some photos.... never saw anything like it. I
    > have been to many Chinese restaurants and never saw it on the menu... or
    > any other salad.
    >
    > Ahh... it has soy sauce..... ah so... it is Chinese.


    Well some folks think those hard taco shells that are used in school
    cafeterias and found in "taco kits" are Mexican.

  14. #14
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    George wrote:

    > Well some folks think those hard taco shells that are used in school
    > cafeterias and found in "taco kits" are Mexican.


    Are you saying fried corn tortillas are purely American?



  15. #15
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)


    "George M. Middius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > George wrote:
    >
    >> Well some folks think those hard taco shells that are used in school
    >> cafeterias and found in "taco kits" are Mexican.

    >
    > Are you saying fried corn tortillas are purely American?


    Corn tortillas are not. But the hard taco shells are. In Mexico the tacos
    are soft.



  16. #16
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 23:06:51 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:11:21 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 13:48:50 -0500, Sqwertz <[email protected]>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> ObFood: Chinese chicken salad and hot and sour soup is on the menu
    >>>> for today.
    >>>
    >>> what is Chinese chicken salad? Preparation hints, please

    >>
    >> You been living under a rock?! :-)
    >>
    >> Shredded chicken, shredded lettuce, water chestnuts, green onions,
    >> toasted sesame seeds, fried chicken skins, and crispy fried bean
    >> thread noodles. All tossed with together with a sweet
    >> sesame-soy-ginger dressing.
    >>
    >> Shoot, I'm out of ginger. I planted the last of it! Ahh, but I have
    >> crystallized ginger...
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    >Where does one find Chinese chickens?


    Next to the Chinese apples.

    Or just go to any chinky stupidmarket. Ah So!

  17. #17
    George Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    On 10/1/2012 11:25 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
    > George wrote:
    >
    >> Well some folks think those hard taco shells that are used in school
    >> cafeterias and found in "taco kits" are Mexican.

    >
    > Are you saying fried corn tortillas are purely American?
    >
    >

    US invention, here is a good article:

    http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/201...ispy_tacos.php

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3aomxs6

  18. #18
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    "George M. Middius" wrote:
    >
    > George wrote:
    >
    > > Well some folks think those hard taco shells that are used in school
    > > cafeterias and found in "taco kits" are Mexican.

    >
    > Are you saying fried corn tortillas are purely American?


    Whatever, I like them and use for tacos.

    G.

  19. #19
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    > "George M. Middius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    > > George wrote:
    > >
    > >> Well some folks think those hard taco shells that are used in school
    > >> cafeterias and found in "taco kits" are Mexican.

    > >
    > > Are you saying fried corn tortillas are purely American?

    >
    > Corn tortillas are not. But the hard taco shells are. In Mexico the tacos
    > are soft.


    But most of us are not in Mexico. Who cares about them?

    G.

  20. #20
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Chinese Chicken Salad (was: Gee)

    "George M. Middius" wrote:

    > Are you saying fried corn tortillas are purely American?


    They almost have to be. Corn is from America, and I've never
    seen tortillas (as we know them, fried or otherwise) in Europe or Asia.
    The word "tortilla" has a different meaning elsewhere in the world.


    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32