Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: chat?

  1. #1
    Andy Guest

    Default chat?

    chat?

    #rec.food.cooking

    The mostly harmless irc!

    Andy

  2. #2
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On 2010-05-05 17:19:59 -0700, Andy said:

    > chat?
    >
    > #rec.food.cooking
    >
    > The mostly harmless irc!
    >
    > Andy


    I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about
    6 years go for good.

    Don: Hi!
    Peg: Hi!
    Don: Back in a minute!
    Peg: Rehi!
    Don: What's up?
    Peg: I'm busy!
    Don: Really?
    Peg: Oh yeah!
    Dave: re-Hi!
    Don: Hi Dave!
    Peg: What's up, Dave!
    Jill: Back again! I"m done with work!
    Dave: Hi, Jill!
    Jill: Hi
    Don: Hi Jill!
    Dave: Don, I didn't see you were here!
    Peg: Back in a minute!
    Jill: Hi, Peg!
    Jill: See you Later!
    Jim: Hi everybody!
    Don: Hi, Jim!
    Dave: Hi, Jim!
    Peg: Hi Jim
    Jill: Peg I thought you were leaving!
    Jim: Hi Peg!
    --
    If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
    find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll


  3. #3
    Janet Baraclough Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    The message <2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz>
    from gtr <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about
    > 6 years go for good.



    Does ANYBODY ever want to be in a chatroom with the likes of Andy?

    Janet

  4. #4
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On 2010-05-06, Janet Baraclough <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does ANYBODY ever want to be in a chatroom with the likes of Andy?


    He's actually quite civil when chatting live.

    nb

  5. #5
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    Janet Baraclough <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The message <2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz>
    > from gtr <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up

    about
    >> 6 years go for good.

    >
    >
    > Does ANYBODY ever want to be in a chatroom with the likes of Andy?
    >
    > Janet



    I'm very polite and considerate of others in chat.

    What's your problem?

    Andy

  6. #6
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    "gtr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz...
    > On 2010-05-05 17:19:59 -0700, Andy said:
    >
    >> chat?
    >>
    >> #rec.food.cooking
    >>
    >> The mostly harmless irc!
    >>
    >> Andy

    >
    > I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about 6
    > years go for good.
    >
    > Don: Hi!
    > Peg: Hi!
    > Don: Back in a minute!
    > Peg: Rehi!
    > Don: What's up?
    > Peg: I'm busy!
    > Don: Really?
    > Peg: Oh yeah!
    > Dave: re-Hi!
    > Don: Hi Dave!
    > Peg: What's up, Dave!
    > Jill: Back again! I"m done with work!
    > Dave: Hi, Jill!
    > Jill: Hi
    > Don: Hi Jill!
    > Dave: Don, I didn't see you were here!
    > Peg: Back in a minute!
    > Jill: Hi, Peg!
    > Jill: See you Later!
    > Jim: Hi everybody!
    > Don: Hi, Jim!
    > Dave: Hi, Jim!
    > Peg: Hi Jim
    > Jill: Peg I thought you were leaving!
    > Jim: Hi Peg!
    > --
    > If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly find
    > fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll
    >



    Why did you insert my name when I never chatted with "Don", "Peg" or "Jim"?
    I have no idea who those people are.

    More often than not the only creatures there are the bots inserted by
    whoever re-created the rfc channel, sky and someone named Triolus who stays
    signed in but usually isn't really there. Chat isn't fun like it used to
    be. Back in the day a bunch of us had long lively chats that kept us
    laughing for hours.

    Jill


  7. #7
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On 2010-05-06 07:47:31 -0700, jmcquown said:

    > "gtr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz...
    >> On 2010-05-05 17:19:59 -0700, Andy said:
    >>
    >>> chat?
    >>>
    >>> #rec.food.cooking
    >>>
    >>> The mostly harmless irc!
    >>>
    >>> Andy

    >>
    >> I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about
    >> 6 years go for good.
    >>
    >> Don: Hi!
    >> Peg: Hi!
    >> Don: Back in a minute!
    >> Peg: Rehi!
    >> Don: What's up?
    >> Peg: I'm busy!
    >> Don: Really?
    >> Peg: Oh yeah!
    >> Dave: re-Hi!
    >> Don: Hi Dave!
    >> Peg: What's up, Dave!
    >> Jill: Back again! I"m done with work!
    >> Dave: Hi, Jill!
    >> Jill: Hi
    >> Don: Hi Jill!
    >> Dave: Don, I didn't see you were here!
    >> Peg: Back in a minute!
    >> Jill: Hi, Peg!
    >> Jill: See you Later!
    >> Jim: Hi everybody!
    >> Don: Hi, Jim!
    >> Dave: Hi, Jim!
    >> Peg: Hi Jim
    >> Jill: Peg I thought you were leaving!
    >> Jim: Hi Peg!

    >
    > Why did you insert my name when I never chatted with "Don", "Peg" or
    > "Jim"? I have no idea who those people are.


    I selected "Jill" at random to give an idea of what irc looks like.
    Please substitute "Clem" instead for a less confusing idea.

    > More often than not the only creatures there are the bots inserted by
    > whoever re-created the rfc channel, sky and someone named Triolus who
    > stays signed in but usually isn't really there. Chat isn't fun like it
    > used to be. Back in the day a bunch of us had long lively chats that
    > kept us laughing for hours.


    I've never experienced that. It would undoubtedly help if one went
    there with people who were friends prior to "chatting" via irc, I
    suppose. One of the things that bores me (other than the example of
    non-dialogue above), is that everybody is such a slow typist that it
    takes 30 minutes to have the most rudimentary "discussion". And all of
    it constantly interrupted by the "helloing and goodbying" of it all.
    --
    If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
    find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll


  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:57:24 -0700, gtr <[email protected]> wrote:

    > One of the things that bores me (other than the example of
    > non-dialogue above), is that everybody is such a slow typist that it
    > takes 30 minutes to have the most rudimentary "discussion". And all of
    > it constantly interrupted by the "helloing and goodbying" of it all.


    rfc chatters are fast typists, if that's a real issue for you.

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  9. #9
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On Thu, 06 May 2010 14:36:12 -0700, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:57:24 -0700, gtr <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> One of the things that bores me (other than the example of
    >> non-dialogue above), is that everybody is such a slow typist that it
    >> takes 30 minutes to have the most rudimentary "discussion". And all of
    >> it constantly interrupted by the "helloing and goodbying" of it all.

    >
    >rfc chatters are fast typists, if that's a real issue for you.


    Just consider yooseselves lucky I'm a slooow typist. LOL

  10. #10
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    Janet Baraclough wrote:
    > The message <2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz>
    > from gtr <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about
    >> 6 years go for good.

    >
    >
    > Does ANYBODY ever want to be in a chatroom with the likes of Andy?


    MIRC has an ignore function.

  11. #11
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On Thu, 06 May 2010 18:46:10 -0400, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Janet Baraclough wrote:
    >> The message <2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz>
    >> from gtr <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >>
    >>> I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about
    >>> 6 years go for good.

    >>
    >>
    >> Does ANYBODY ever want to be in a chatroom with the likes of Andy?

    >
    >MIRC has an ignore function.


    Is that like a killfile... why do folks need an electronic frontal
    lobotomy to ignore someone???

  12. #12
    gtr Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On 2010-05-06 16:01:45 -0700, brooklyn1 said:

    > On Thu, 06 May 2010 18:46:10 -0400, Dave Smith
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Janet Baraclough wrote:
    >>> The message <2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz>
    >>> from gtr <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >>>
    >>>> I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about
    >>>> 6 years go for good.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Does ANYBODY ever want to be in a chatroom with the likes of Andy?

    >>
    >> MIRC has an ignore function.

    >
    > Is that like a killfile... why do folks need an electronic frontal
    > lobotomy to ignore someone???


    Some think that taking simple steps to rid themselves of environamental
    noise is some kind of "weakness".
    --
    If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly
    find fault with, you will not do much. -- Lewis Carroll


  13. #13
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    brooklyn1 wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 May 2010 18:46:10 -0400, Dave Smith
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Janet Baraclough wrote:
    >>> The message <2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz>
    >>> from gtr <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >>>
    >>>> I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about
    >>>> 6 years go for good.
    >>>
    >>> Does ANYBODY ever want to be in a chatroom with the likes of Andy?

    >> MIRC has an ignore function.

    >
    > Is that like a killfile... why do folks need an electronic frontal
    > lobotomy to ignore someone???



    Perhaps to avoid stooping to your level?

  14. #14
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On Thu, 6 May 2010 12:58:17 +0100, Janet Baraclough
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The message <2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz>
    >from gtr <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    >> I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about
    >> 6 years go for good.

    >
    >
    > Does ANYBODY ever want to be in a chatroom with the likes of Andy?


    He'd try to convince everyone to convert to the shot-glass measuring
    system. It would be horrible!

    Lou

  15. #15
    atec7 7 Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    Lou Decruss wrote:
    > On Thu, 6 May 2010 12:58:17 +0100, Janet Baraclough
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The message <2010050518410874368-xxx@yyyzzz>
    >>from gtr <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >>> I've tried irc every couple of years since about 1993. I gave up about
    >>> 6 years go for good.

    >>
    >> Does ANYBODY ever want to be in a chatroom with the likes of Andy?

    >
    > He'd try to convince everyone to convert to the shot-glass measuring
    > system. It would be horrible!
    >
    > Lou

    I simply put him in the idiot ignore file after 30 seconds of conversation
    some people are not worth it

  16. #16
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:47:31 -0400, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:


    >More often than not the only creatures there are the bots inserted by
    >whoever re-created the rfc channel, sky and someone named Triolus who stays
    >signed in but usually isn't really there. Chat isn't fun like it used to
    >be. Back in the day a bunch of us had long lively chats that kept us
    >laughing for hours.
    >
    >Jill


    Well..when I peek in, to see if anyone is there, there is usually no
    one there. If someone would be in there, I would come on in.

    Don't have much time right now to chat though....

    Christine

  17. #17
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: chat?

    On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:57:24 -0700, gtr <[email protected]> wrote:



    >I've never experienced that. It would undoubtedly help if one went
    >there with people who were friends prior to "chatting" via irc, I
    >suppose. One of the things that bores me (other than the example of
    >non-dialogue above), is that everybody is such a slow typist that it
    >takes 30 minutes to have the most rudimentary "discussion". And all of
    >it constantly interrupted by the "helloing and goodbying" of it all.


    Well.you should try an rfc chat sometime. Not like that at all...if a
    few of us are there. It can be very lively...and most are decent
    typists. Some folks have a hard time keeping up with the rest of
    us..cause we type so fast...

    And we talk about everything under the sun...food, you name it.

    Christine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32