Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Caramel Apple Cookies

  1. #1
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Caramel Apple Cookies


    I mentioned these a year or three ago but had no recipe or pictures.
    We got it together this year and the Cookie Queen did a good job. We
    were gifted 12 pounds of cashews so that's what was used. Peanuts are
    fine too.

    The balls ready to bake:

    http://i53.tinypic.com/2lnjtbc.jpg

    Baked and ready to coat:

    http://i56.tinypic.com/24ymdsm.jpg

    Finished. There's a few nuts that didn't get chopped enough but
    O-well.

    http://i55.tinypic.com/2ccqd1i.jpg

    Caramel Apple Cookies

    lb butter 1 bag Kraft caramels
    2 egg yolks cup milk
    cup powdered sugar 2 cups chopped nuts
    2 cups flour

    Cream room temperature butter, yolks and powdered sugar together in
    large bowl. Add flour and mix well. Roll dough into little balls,
    about the diameter of a quarter. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for
    15 minutes at 375 degrees. Bottoms will be slightly browned.
    Immediately put round toothpick in center of each ball. You must do
    this when they are still hot or cookies will split. Let cookies cool
    completely while you melt the caramels.

    Melt caramels in a double boiler with the milk until liquid. Stir
    often. When cookies are cool, dip in the caramel and swish back and
    forth once to fully cover the cookie. Let excess caramel drip off,
    then roll in chopped nuts to look like a caramel apple. The cooler
    the caramel is, (but not stiff) the better the nuts will stick. Put
    each one in a candy paper cup. It takes a little practice to get the
    caramel on the right thickness and temperature. Nuts need to be
    finely chopped or they will not stick, the finer they are the better
    they will stick.



  2. #2
    Ema Nymton Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On 1/2/2011 3:42 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
    > The balls ready to bake:
    >
    > http://i53.tinypic.com/2lnjtbc.jpg
    >
    > Baked and ready to coat:
    >
    > http://i56.tinypic.com/24ymdsm.jpg
    >
    > Finished. There's a few nuts that didn't get chopped enough but
    > O-well.
    >
    > http://i55.tinypic.com/2ccqd1i.jpg
    >
    > Caramel Apple Cookies
    >
    > lb butter 1 bag Kraft caramels
    > 2 egg yolks cup milk
    > cup powdered sugar 2 cups chopped nuts
    > 2 cups flour
    >
    > Cream room temperature butter, yolks and powdered sugar together in
    > large bowl. Add flour and mix well. Roll dough into little balls,
    > about the diameter of a quarter. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for
    > 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Bottoms will be slightly browned.
    > Immediately put round toothpick in center of each ball. You must do
    > this when they are still hot or cookies will split. Let cookies cool
    > completely while you melt the caramels.
    >
    > Melt caramels in a double boiler with the milk until liquid. Stir
    > often. When cookies are cool, dip in the caramel and swish back and
    > forth once to fully cover the cookie. Let excess caramel drip off,
    > then roll in chopped nuts to look like a caramel apple. The cooler
    > the caramel is, (but not stiff) the better the nuts will stick. Put
    > each one in a candy paper cup. It takes a little practice to get the
    > caramel on the right thickness and temperature. Nuts need to be
    > finely chopped or they will not stick, the finer they are the better
    > they will stick.


    Remind me of these cookies next year, I would like to try them. They
    look great.

    Becca

  3. #3
    ravenlynne Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On 1/2/2011 4:42 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
    >
    > I mentioned these a year or three ago but had no recipe or pictures.
    > We got it together this year and the Cookie Queen did a good job. We
    > were gifted 12 pounds of cashews so that's what was used. Peanuts are
    > fine too.
    >
    > The balls ready to bake:
    >
    > http://i53.tinypic.com/2lnjtbc.jpg
    >
    > Baked and ready to coat:
    >
    > http://i56.tinypic.com/24ymdsm.jpg
    >
    > Finished. There's a few nuts that didn't get chopped enough but
    > O-well.
    >
    > http://i55.tinypic.com/2ccqd1i.jpg
    >
    > Caramel Apple Cookies
    >
    > lb butter 1 bag Kraft caramels
    > 2 egg yolks cup milk
    > cup powdered sugar 2 cups chopped nuts
    > 2 cups flour
    >
    > Cream room temperature butter, yolks and powdered sugar together in
    > large bowl. Add flour and mix well. Roll dough into little balls,
    > about the diameter of a quarter. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for
    > 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Bottoms will be slightly browned.
    > Immediately put round toothpick in center of each ball. You must do
    > this when they are still hot or cookies will split. Let cookies cool
    > completely while you melt the caramels.
    >
    > Melt caramels in a double boiler with the milk until liquid. Stir
    > often. When cookies are cool, dip in the caramel and swish back and
    > forth once to fully cover the cookie. Let excess caramel drip off,
    > then roll in chopped nuts to look like a caramel apple. The cooler
    > the caramel is, (but not stiff) the better the nuts will stick. Put
    > each one in a candy paper cup. It takes a little practice to get the
    > caramel on the right thickness and temperature. Nuts need to be
    > finely chopped or they will not stick, the finer they are the better
    > they will stick.
    >
    >


    Those are adorable! I have to try!

    --
    Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold

  4. #4
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:10:25 -0600, Ema Nymton <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Remind me of these cookies next year, I would like to try them. They
    > look great.


    You still have Valentine's Day to bake, Becca!

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  5. #5
    JeanineAlyse Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On Jan 2, 1:42*pm, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:
    > I mentioned these a year or three ago but had no recipe or pictures.
    > We got it together this year and the Cookie Queen did a good job. *We
    > were gifted 12 pounds of cashews so that's what was used. *Peanuts are
    > fine too....

    Lou, the Carmel Apple Cookies are really cute, thanks for sharing. I
    have printed both the recipe and the finished photo for trying these
    out on my ever faithful "test group" at work. I am sure to be making
    them for our Christmas boxes this year, adding Apple Flavoring to the
    batter....Picky

  6. #6
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On 1/2/2011 4:42 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
    >
    > I mentioned these a year or three ago but had no recipe or pictures.
    > We got it together this year and the Cookie Queen did a good job. We
    > were gifted 12 pounds of cashews so that's what was used. Peanuts are
    > fine too.
    >
    > The balls ready to bake:
    >
    > http://i53.tinypic.com/2lnjtbc.jpg
    >
    > Baked and ready to coat:
    >
    > http://i56.tinypic.com/24ymdsm.jpg
    >
    > Finished. There's a few nuts that didn't get chopped enough but
    > O-well.
    >
    > http://i55.tinypic.com/2ccqd1i.jpg
    >


    They look delicious! Thanks for the recipe and the pics!

  7. #7
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    Lou Decruss wrote:
    > I mentioned these a year or three ago but had no recipe or pictures.
    > We got it together this year and the Cookie Queen did a good job. We
    > were gifted 12 pounds of cashews so that's what was used. Peanuts are
    > fine too.
    >
    > The balls ready to bake:
    >
    > http://i53.tinypic.com/2lnjtbc.jpg
    >
    > Baked and ready to coat:
    >
    > http://i56.tinypic.com/24ymdsm.jpg
    >
    > Finished. There's a few nuts that didn't get chopped enough but
    > O-well.
    >
    > http://i55.tinypic.com/2ccqd1i.jpg


    Holy crow, those are the cutest cookies ever!! I have to make
    them. Thanks, Lou.

  8. #8
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 15:42:00 -0600, Lou Decruss
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >I mentioned these a year or three ago but had no recipe or pictures.
    >We got it together this year and the Cookie Queen did a good job. We
    >were gifted 12 pounds of cashews so that's what was used. Peanuts are
    >fine too.
    >
    >The balls ready to bake:
    >
    >http://i53.tinypic.com/2lnjtbc.jpg
    >
    >Baked and ready to coat:
    >
    >http://i56.tinypic.com/24ymdsm.jpg
    >
    >Finished. There's a few nuts that didn't get chopped enough but
    >O-well.
    >
    >http://i55.tinypic.com/2ccqd1i.jpg
    >
    >Caramel Apple Cookies


    snippage

    Dang Lou, those are great.
    Thanks for the photos and recipe.

    koko
    --
    Food is our common ground, a universal experience
    James Beard

    www.kokoscornerblog.com
    Updated 1/01/11

    Natural Watkins Spices
    www.apinchofspices.com

  9. #9
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:10:25 -0600, Ema Nymton <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 1/2/2011 3:42 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
    >> The balls ready to bake:
    >>
    >> http://i53.tinypic.com/2lnjtbc.jpg
    >>
    >> Baked and ready to coat:
    >>
    >> http://i56.tinypic.com/24ymdsm.jpg
    >>
    >> Finished. There's a few nuts that didn't get chopped enough but
    >> O-well.
    >>
    >> http://i55.tinypic.com/2ccqd1i.jpg
    >>
    >> Caramel Apple Cookies
    >>
    >> lb butter 1 bag Kraft caramels
    >> 2 egg yolks cup milk
    >> cup powdered sugar 2 cups chopped nuts
    >> 2 cups flour
    >>
    >> Cream room temperature butter, yolks and powdered sugar together in
    >> large bowl. Add flour and mix well. Roll dough into little balls,
    >> about the diameter of a quarter. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for
    >> 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Bottoms will be slightly browned.
    >> Immediately put round toothpick in center of each ball. You must do
    >> this when they are still hot or cookies will split. Let cookies cool
    >> completely while you melt the caramels.
    >>
    >> Melt caramels in a double boiler with the milk until liquid. Stir
    >> often. When cookies are cool, dip in the caramel and swish back and
    >> forth once to fully cover the cookie. Let excess caramel drip off,
    >> then roll in chopped nuts to look like a caramel apple. The cooler
    >> the caramel is, (but not stiff) the better the nuts will stick. Put
    >> each one in a candy paper cup. It takes a little practice to get the
    >> caramel on the right thickness and temperature. Nuts need to be
    >> finely chopped or they will not stick, the finer they are the better
    >> they will stick.

    >
    >Remind me of these cookies next year, I would like to try them. They
    >look great.
    >
    >Becca


    Chances of me remembering aren't too good but I'll try.

    Lou

  10. #10
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 17:53:44 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Jan 2, 1:42*pm, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:
    >> I mentioned these a year or three ago but had no recipe or pictures.
    >> We got it together this year and the Cookie Queen did a good job. *We
    >> were gifted 12 pounds of cashews so that's what was used. *Peanuts are
    >> fine too....

    >Lou, the Carmel Apple Cookies are really cute, thanks for sharing. I
    >have printed both the recipe and the finished photo for trying these
    >out on my ever faithful "test group" at work. I am sure to be making
    >them for our Christmas boxes this year, adding Apple Flavoring to the
    >batter....Picky


    What's apple flavoring?

    Lou

  11. #11
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 21:14:42 -0500, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Lou Decruss wrote:
    >> I mentioned these a year or three ago but had no recipe or pictures.
    >> We got it together this year and the Cookie Queen did a good job. We
    >> were gifted 12 pounds of cashews so that's what was used. Peanuts are
    >> fine too.
    >>
    >> The balls ready to bake:
    >>
    >> http://i53.tinypic.com/2lnjtbc.jpg
    >>
    >> Baked and ready to coat:
    >>
    >> http://i56.tinypic.com/24ymdsm.jpg
    >>
    >> Finished. There's a few nuts that didn't get chopped enough but
    >> O-well.
    >>
    >> http://i55.tinypic.com/2ccqd1i.jpg

    >
    >Holy crow, those are the cutest cookies ever!! I have to make
    >them. Thanks, Lou.


    They are pretty fun and actually taste good too.

    Lou

  12. #12
    JeanineAlyse Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On Jan 3, 7:03*am, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:
    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 17:53:44 -0800 (PST), JeanineAlyse
    > >Lou, the Carmel Apple Cookies are really cute, thanks for sharing. *I
    > >have printed both the recipe and the finished photo for trying these
    > >out on my ever faithful "test group" at work. *I am sure to be making
    > >them for our Christmas boxes this year, adding Apple Flavoring to the
    > >batter....Picky

    >
    > What's apple flavoring?

    It's a little bottle of flavoring, and used in the same manner as
    vanilla extract is. I get all sorts of flavorings through www.kingarthurflour.com
    and most of them are by (sp?) LoriAnne. I only discovered these
    flavorings in 2009 and have about a dozen different ones now. I've
    not yet used any of the Apple, but all others have proven to be
    exceptional flavor enhancements. My favorite is Vanilla Butternut,
    which I used in place of plain ole vanilla for a few things at
    Christmas.
    ....Picky



  13. #13
    Ema Nymton Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On 1/2/2011 4:45 PM, sf wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:10:25 -0600, Ema Nymton<[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Remind me of these cookies next year, I would like to try them. They
    >> look great.

    > You still have Valentine's Day to bake, Becca!


    We are cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse for Valentine's Day, but I
    could make them for my brother and sister's grandchildren. One of these
    days I hope to have my own grandkids instead of borrowing theirs. lol

    Becca


  14. #14
    Ema Nymton Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On 1/3/2011 9:03 AM, Lou Decruss wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:10:25 -0600, Ema Nymton<[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Remind me of these cookies next year, I would like to try them. They
    >> look great.
    >>
    >> Becca

    > Chances of me remembering aren't too good but I'll try.
    >
    > Lou


    Unfortunately, I understand that.

    Becca

  15. #15
    Mr. Bill Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 11:52:13 -0600, Ema Nymton <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >We are cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse for Valentine's Day,


    He does treat you GOOD! Lucky you.

    Join me....a little fun, some ramblings and good recipes

    http://whstoneman.blogspot.com

  16. #16
    Ema Nymton Guest

    Default Re: Caramel Apple Cookies

    On 1/3/2011 2:30 PM, Mr. Bill wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 11:52:13 -0600, Ema Nymton<[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> We are cruising on the Celebrity Eclipse for Valentine's Day,

    > He does treat you GOOD! Lucky you.


    Heh, I keep telling him he's lucky to have me. <wink> But seriously, we
    are escorting a group of 210 people, so I will be working a little. Not
    too hard, though.

    Becca


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32