Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Cantaloupe uses ??

  1. #1
    Sky Guest

    Default Cantaloupe uses ??

    I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.

    The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    figured I'd ask here instead

    Sky, who's curious

    --

    Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
    Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

  2. #2
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    On 28/02/2012 5:00 PM, Sky wrote:
    > I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    > into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >
    > The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    > (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    > or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    > figured I'd ask here instead
    >
    > Sky, who's curious
    >


    Does proscutto and melon count as raw? It is a great flavour and texture
    combination.

    I always thought of cantaloupe as one of those things that is darned
    near perfect as is and there is not much you can do with it that would
    be an improvement. That being said..... I bet it would make a good
    sherbet. Watermelon certainly does.

  3. #3
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    Sky wrote:

    >The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw?


    What's TINC?

    Other than just cutting up and forking it in, I like to make fruit
    salad with other fresh fruits. Mango and pineapple go well, or
    strawberries, stone fruits, grapes, etc. Even blueberries if you like
    them. Not so much bananas or oranges though. I toss the diced fruit
    with pom or cherry juice and maybe some liqueur.



  4. #4
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:00:42 -0600, Sky <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    >into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >
    >The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    >or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    >figured I'd ask here instead
    >
    >Sky, who's curious


    Make a fruit kabob with other fruits and grill it. Stone fruits are
    especially good grilled.

    koko
    --
    Food is our common ground, a universal experience
    James Beard

    www.kokoscornerblog.com

    Natural Watkins Spices
    www.apinchofspices.com

  5. #5
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:17:12 -0500, George M. Middius
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sky wrote:
    >
    >>The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >>(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw?

    >
    >What's TINC?


    There Is No Cabal (YTI)


    >
    >Other than just cutting up and forking it in, I like to make fruit
    >salad with other fresh fruits. Mango and pineapple go well, or
    >strawberries, stone fruits, grapes, etc. Even blueberries if you like
    >them. Not so much bananas or oranges though. I toss the diced fruit
    >with pom or cherry juice and maybe some liqueur.
    >

    koko
    --
    Food is our common ground, a universal experience
    James Beard

    www.kokoscornerblog.com

    Natural Watkins Spices
    www.apinchofspices.com

  6. #6
    I'm back on the laptop Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    Sky <[email protected]> wrote in news:9r514pF23dU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    > I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    > into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >
    > The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    > (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    > or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    > figured I'd ask here instead
    >
    > Sky, who's curious
    >




    Over this way we call them 'Rock Melons' and I've only ever had them 'raw',
    cold straight out of the fridge is great. Mixed in with fruit salad....
    rockmelon smoothie?? Hmmmmmmm, maybe if it was 'smoothied' with ice cream?

    They also go great on a cheese platter.



    --
    Peter
    Tasmania
    Australia

  7. #7
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    Sky wrote:
    >
    >I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    >into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >
    >The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    >or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    >figured I'd ask here instead
    >
    >Sky, who's curious


    If they're ripe I like halves filled with cottage cheese, otherwise
    cubed maserated in the fridge with sugar for a day or two, add other
    fruit too; berries, citrus, apples, other melons... naturally
    cantaloupe makes great smoothies, think vanilla ice cream and rum.

  8. #8
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:00:42 -0600, Sky wrote:

    > The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    > (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    > or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    > figured I'd ask here instead



    I don't prepare it, but I like to get cantaloupe juice at the taqueria
    or fruteria when in season. I love melon juices.

    -sw

  9. #9
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    Sqwertz wrote:
    >Sky wrote:
    >
    >> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    >> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    >> figured I'd ask here instead

    >
    >I don't prepare it, but I like to get cantaloupe juice at the taqueria
    >or fruteria when in season. I love melon juices.


    Whadaya know, a protégé!

  10. #10
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:09:31 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:00:42 -0600, Sky <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    >>into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >>
    >>The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >>(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    >>or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    >>figured I'd ask here instead
    >>
    >>Sky, who's curious

    >
    > Make a fruit kabob with other fruits and grill it. Stone fruits are
    > especially good grilled.


    I have a durian and a pineapple. I was thinking of grilling the
    pineapple tomorrow, but it seems like a waste to fire up the grill for
    just that. Anybody ever tried to grill durian? (over fire, not in a
    pan). I need to do this OUTSIDE.

    -sw

  11. #11
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    Sky wrote:

    > I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    > into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >
    > The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    > (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    > or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    > figured I'd ask here instead


    Salsa, cold soup, and ice cream/gelato are some of my favorite ways to
    use cantaloupe. It's also good as a kind of relish/salad with cucumbers,
    lime juice, salt, and powdered chile de árbol .

    Bob

  12. #12
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does proscutto and melon count as raw?


    If it's prosciutto crudo, sure.

    Actually, raw food types are not in total agreement on the
    definition of "raw".



    Steve

  13. #13
    Zz Yzx Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:00:42 -0600, Sky <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    >into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >
    >The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >(TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    >or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    >figured I'd ask here instead
    >
    >Sky, who's curious

    I just searched Epicurious for cantalope soup, there's 5-6 listed.
    Mostly cold.

    -Zz

  14. #14
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:09:31 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:00:42 -0600, Sky <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    >>> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >>>
    >>> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >>> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    >>> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    >>> figured I'd ask here instead
    >>>
    >>> Sky, who's curious

    >> Make a fruit kabob with other fruits and grill it. Stone fruits are
    >> especially good grilled.

    >
    > I have a durian and a pineapple. I was thinking of grilling the
    > pineapple tomorrow, but it seems like a waste to fire up the grill for
    > just that. Anybody ever tried to grill durian? (over fire, not in a
    > pan). I need to do this OUTSIDE.
    >
    > -sw


    Oh, gee. Don't you have neighbors?

    --
    Jean B.

  15. #15
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 23:42:05 -0500, Jean B. wrote:

    > Sqwertz wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:09:31 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:00:42 -0600, Sky <[email protected]>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    >>>> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >>>>
    >>>> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >>>> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    >>>> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    >>>> figured I'd ask here instead
    >>>>
    >>>> Sky, who's curious
    >>> Make a fruit kabob with other fruits and grill it. Stone fruits are
    >>> especially good grilled.

    >>
    >> I have a durian and a pineapple. I was thinking of grilling the
    >> pineapple tomorrow, but it seems like a waste to fire up the grill for
    >> just that. Anybody ever tried to grill durian? (over fire, not in a
    >> pan). I need to do this OUTSIDE.

    >
    > Oh, gee. Don't you have neighbors?


    Screw them. I only have one right now and their dog ****s in my yard.
    So if the durian doesn't work out, then I throw it in their yard -
    smear it on their front porch.

    Actually, I didn't grill it. I just grilled the pineapple and chicken
    wings. The durian was much too fragile to grill on a grate over fire.
    I also made some Salted, fermented, fish fried rice:

    Durian:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...3386/lightbox/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...3464/lightbox/

    Pineapple:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...7039/lightbox/

    Dinner Plate:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...3820/lightbox/

    -sw

  16. #16
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 23:42:05 -0500, Jean B. wrote:
    >
    >> Sqwertz wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 15:09:31 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:00:42 -0600, Sky <[email protected]>
    >>>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    >>>>> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >>>>> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    >>>>> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    >>>>> figured I'd ask here instead
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Sky, who's curious
    >>>> Make a fruit kabob with other fruits and grill it. Stone fruits are
    >>>> especially good grilled.
    >>> I have a durian and a pineapple. I was thinking of grilling the
    >>> pineapple tomorrow, but it seems like a waste to fire up the grill for
    >>> just that. Anybody ever tried to grill durian? (over fire, not in a
    >>> pan). I need to do this OUTSIDE.

    >> Oh, gee. Don't you have neighbors?

    >
    > Screw them. I only have one right now and their dog ****s in my yard.
    > So if the durian doesn't work out, then I throw it in their yard -
    > smear it on their front porch.
    >
    > Actually, I didn't grill it. I just grilled the pineapple and chicken
    > wings. The durian was much too fragile to grill on a grate over fire.
    > I also made some Salted, fermented, fish fried rice:
    >
    > Durian:
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...3386/lightbox/
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...3464/lightbox/
    >
    > Pineapple:
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...7039/lightbox/
    >
    > Dinner Plate:
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...3820/lightbox/
    >
    > -sw


    OMG! Your meals are so drool-provoking. I should be ashamed of
    myself. I didn't cook all those Asian mushrooms because my
    daughter had other plans. I need to cook for my own pleasure
    more, like I used to all the time--and like you obviously do.

    --
    Jean B.

  17. #17
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sky <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    > into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >
    > The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    > (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    > or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    > figured I'd ask here instead
    >
    > Sky, who's curious


    I've made a conserve (Peach-Cantaloupe) with it, though not in about the
    last 30 years.
    --
    Barb,
    http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011

  18. #18
    Lou Decruss Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:12:00 -0500, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 28/02/2012 5:00 PM, Sky wrote:
    >> I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    >> into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >>
    >> The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    >> (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    >> or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    >> figured I'd ask here instead
    >>
    >> Sky, who's curious
    >>

    >
    >Does proscutto and melon count as raw? It is a great flavour and texture
    >combination.
    >
    >I always thought of cantaloupe as one of those things that is darned
    >near perfect as is and there is not much you can do with it that would
    >be an improvement.


    I agree with this. We went to a seminar last Saturday morning that
    had a fruit tray that included cantaloupe. I hardly ever eat in the
    morning but I left stuffed.

    Lou





  19. #19
    Frank Warner Guest

    Default Re: Cantaloupe uses ??

    In article <[email protected]>, Sky
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I recently purchased a nice cantaloupe, which I cut into pieces and put
    > into the fridge to eat at leisure for the next few days.
    >
    > The only way I've ever had cantaloupe is raw. How does the RFC cabal
    > (TINC) like to prepare cantaloupe other than raw? Perhaps as a smoothie
    > or soup of some sorts? Any recipes to share? Yeah-yeah, GIMF, but I
    > figured I'd ask here instead
    >
    > Sky, who's curious


    Texas Melon Soup:

    http://busycooks.about.com/od/coldso...smelonsoup.htm

    Frank

    --
    Here's some of my work:
    http://www.sharpbywarner.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32