Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Canned broccoli?

  1. #1
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Canned broccoli?

    It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
    canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I came up
    with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.

    Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
    canning or something? Or have I just missed them?



  2. #2
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On Mar 8, 10:07*pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >
    > It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. *I don't think I haveseen
    > canned cauliflower either. *I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    > had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. *Oh the many ways I came up
    > with to dispose of that! *And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    > because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    > didn't come from a can. *She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    > that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    >
    > Does canned broccoli exist? *What about cauliflower? *Do they not hold up to
    > canning or something? *Or have I just missed them?
    >
    >

    I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
    nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.


  3. #3
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:07:40 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

    > Does canned broccoli exist?


    "It turns into mush and smells like hell", according to USDA sources.

    -sw

  4. #4
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:07:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
    >canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    >had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I came up
    >with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    >because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    >didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    >that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    >
    >Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
    >canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
    >

    Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
    and mustard pickles.
    Janet US

  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mar 8, 10:07*pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. *I don't think I have seen
    > > canned cauliflower either. *I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    > > had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. *Oh the many ways I came up
    > > with to dispose of that! *And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    > > because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    > > didn't come from a can. *She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    > > that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    > >
    > > Does canned broccoli exist? *What about cauliflower? *Do they not hold up to
    > > canning or something? *Or have I just missed them?
    > >
    > >

    > I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
    > nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.


    Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  6. #6
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    [email protected] wrote:
    > On Mar 8, 10:07 pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I
    >> have seen canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to
    >> exist because we had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh
    >> the many ways I came up with to dispose of that! And I think there
    >> were canned Brussel Sprouts because we had those as a kid and my mom
    >> rarely fixed any vegetables that didn't come from a can. She did do
    >> real potatoes, carrots and celery but that was about it except for
    >> the few years we had a garden.
    >>
    >> Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold
    >> up to canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
    >>
    >>

    > I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
    > nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.


    I speak from experience that canned asparagus is disgusting.



  7. #7
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:07:40 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    >> Does canned broccoli exist?

    >
    > "It turns into mush and smells like hell", according to USDA sources.


    Heh. Thanks!



  8. #8
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:07:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I
    >> have seen canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used
    >> to exist because we had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid.
    >> Oh the many ways I came up with to dispose of that! And I think
    >> there were canned Brussel Sprouts because we had those as a kid and
    >> my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that didn't come from a can. She
    >> did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but that was about it
    >> except for the few years we had a garden.
    >>
    >> Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not
    >> hold up to canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
    >>

    > Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
    > and mustard pickles.
    > Janet US


    Oh yes. I have seen that.



  9. #9
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On 2012-03-09, Janet Bostwick <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
    > and mustard pickles.


    Bingo!

    Thanks fer bringing this thread back to reality, Janet.

    Canned (usually in jars) cauliflower and other veggies DO exist,
    mostly in pickled form. Pickled asparagus is to die for! I wish I
    could afford that Texas brand on our mkt shelves more often. I'm sure
    Barb has the details on how to do it yerself. If they can do
    cauliflower and watermelon, why not brocs? Back in Cali, a local
    Mexican resto chain usta have a fresh carrot and jalapeno pickle on
    every table. Again, to die for.

    nb

    --
    Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
    Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
    http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
    vi --the heart of evil!

  10. #10
    Jim Elbrecht Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "[email protected]"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    -snip-
    >> >

    >> I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
    >> nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.

    >
    >Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.


    And when we have asparagus fresh from the garden, I heat up a can for
    my wife so the rest of us can eat it 'the right way'.<g>

    Jim

  11. #11
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On 9 Mar 2012 06:50:57 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2012-03-09, Janet Bostwick <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
    >> and mustard pickles.

    >
    >Bingo!
    >
    >Thanks fer bringing this thread back to reality, Janet.
    >
    >Canned (usually in jars) cauliflower and other veggies DO exist,
    >mostly in pickled form. Pickled asparagus is to die for! I wish I
    >could afford that Texas brand on our mkt shelves more often. I'm sure
    >Barb has the details on how to do it yerself. If they can do
    >cauliflower and watermelon, why not brocs? Back in Cali, a local
    >Mexican resto chain usta have a fresh carrot and jalapeno pickle on
    >every table. Again, to die for.
    >
    >nb

    The broccoli is a toughie. I can't think of anything with preserved
    broccoli. Broccoli is a very strong tasting vegetable and the two
    separate parts wouldn't handle well together in processing.
    Janet US

  12. #12
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:50:55 -0800, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "[email protected]"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mar 8, 10:07*pm, "Julie Bove" <julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. *I don't think I have seen
    >> > canned cauliflower either. *I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    >> > had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. *Oh the many ways I came up
    >> > with to dispose of that! *And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    >> > because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    >> > didn't come from a can. *She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    >> > that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    >> >
    >> > Does canned broccoli exist? *What about cauliflower? *Do they not hold up to
    >> > canning or something? *Or have I just missed them?
    >> >
    >> >

    >> I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
    >> nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.

    >
    >Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.


    I like it as well as the fresh. Just something we ate years ago.
    Janet US

  13. #13
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 21:49:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:07:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
    >>canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    >>had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I came up
    >>with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    >>because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    >>didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    >>that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    >>
    >>Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
    >>canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
    >>

    >Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
    >and mustard pickles.
    >Janet US


    And some brands of pickle relish is actually pickled cauliflower
    rather than pickled cucumber... I think the pickled cauliflower relish
    has a better texture.

  14. #14
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On 3/9/2012 10:50 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:50:55 -0800, sf<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "[email protected]"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mar 8, 10:07 pm, "Julie Bove"<julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
    >>>> canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    >>>> had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I came up
    >>>> with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    >>>> because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    >>>> didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    >>>> that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    >>>>
    >>>> Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
    >>>> canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
    >>> nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.

    >>
    >> Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.

    >
    > I like it as well as the fresh. Just something we ate years ago.
    > Janet US


    I've tried canned asparagus and it's not bad if usually overcooked and
    relatively expensive. Generally, I don't eat asparagus unless the stalks
    are pencil thin and the cost under $2.50 a pound.

    --
    Jim Silverton

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

  15. #15
    Bull Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2012-03-09, Janet Bostwick <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Cauliflower is found 'canned' so to speak in pickled mixed vegetables
    > > and mustard pickles.

    >
    > Bingo!
    >
    > Thanks fer bringing this thread back to reality, Janet.
    >
    > Canned (usually in jars) cauliflower and other veggies DO exist,
    > mostly in pickled form. Pickled asparagus is to die for! I wish I
    > could afford that Texas brand on our mkt shelves more often. I'm sure
    > Barb has the details on how to do it yerself. If they can do
    > cauliflower and watermelon, why not brocs? Back in Cali, a local
    > Mexican resto chain usta have a fresh carrot and jalapeno pickle on
    > every table. Again, to die for.
    >
    > nb


    I don't know of a Texas brand of pickled asparagus? Rockin L-H pickled
    asparagus that is sold in and around Texas is made in OK. Talk O' Texas
    pickles OKRA ~ 6 dollars 16oz jar is sold nation wide. Rockin L-H
    asparagus sells for about 10$ a jar ~16oz.

    BULL

  16. #16
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:07:24 -0500, James Silverton
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 3/9/2012 10:50 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:50:55 -0800, sf<[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "[email protected]"
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Mar 8, 10:07 pm, "Julie Bove"<julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
    >>>>> canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    >>>>> had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I came up
    >>>>> with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    >>>>> because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    >>>>> didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    >>>>> that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
    >>>>> canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
    >>>> nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.

    >>
    >> I like it as well as the fresh. Just something we ate years ago.
    >> Janet US

    >
    >I've tried canned asparagus and it's not bad if usually overcooked and
    >relatively expensive. Generally, I don't eat asparagus unless the stalks
    >are pencil thin and the cost under $2.50 a pound.


    I think frozen asparagus is awful. Neither fish nor fowl. The
    texture is not good and the flavor is marginal. Still, all these
    preservation methods serve a purpose for those that need them.
    I read or heard within the last couple of weeks that the early thin
    stalks of asparagus are nutritionally poor compared to the later fat
    stalks.
    Janet US

  17. #17
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On Mar 9, 8:30*am, Janet Bostwick <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:07:24 -0500, James Silverton
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > <jim.silver...@verizon.net> wrote:
    > >On 3/9/2012 10:50 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > >> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:50:55 -0800, sf<s...@geemail.com> *wrote:

    >
    > >>> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "itsjoannotjo...@webtv.net"
    > >>> <itsjoannotjo...@webtv.net> *wrote:

    >
    > >>>> On Mar 8, 10:07 pm, "Julie Bove"<julieb...@frontier.com> *wrote:

    >
    > >>>>> It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. *I don't think I have seen
    > >>>>> canned cauliflower either. *I know canned asparagus used to existbecause we
    > >>>>> had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. *Oh the many waysI came up
    > >>>>> with to dispose of that! *And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    > >>>>> because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    > >>>>> didn't come from a can. *She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    > >>>>> that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.

    >
    > >>>>> Does canned broccoli exist? *What about cauliflower? *Do they not hold up to
    > >>>>> canning or something? *Or have I just missed them?

    >
    > >>>> I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
    > >>>> nor broccoli. *All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.

    >
    > >>> Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.

    >
    > >> I like it as well as the fresh. *Just something we ate years ago.
    > >> Janet US

    >
    > >I've tried canned asparagus and it's not bad if usually overcooked and
    > >relatively expensive. Generally, I don't eat asparagus unless the stalks
    > >are pencil thin and the cost under $2.50 a pound.

    >
    > I think frozen asparagus is awful. *Neither fish nor fowl. *The
    > texture is not good and the flavor is marginal. *Still, all these
    > preservation methods serve a purpose for those that need them.
    > I read or heard within the last couple of weeks that the early thin
    > stalks of asparagus are nutritionally poor compared to the later fat
    > stalks.
    > Janet US


    I remember freezing a bunch of asparagus one year, and I recall it
    coming out pretty good- much better than canned!

  18. #18
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On 3/9/2012 11:30 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:07:24 -0500, James Silverton
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 3/9/2012 10:50 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 20:50:55 -0800, sf<[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:16:28 -0800 (PST), "[email protected]"
    >>>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Mar 8, 10:07 pm, "Julie Bove"<julieb...@frontier.com> wrote:
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
    >>>>>> canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    >>>>>> had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I came up
    >>>>>> with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    >>>>>> because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    >>>>>> didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    >>>>>> that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
    >>>>>> canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> I've never seen canned cauliflower, brussel sprouts (bitter cabbages),
    >>>>> nor broccoli. All sound disgusting as does canned asparagus.
    >>>>
    >>>> Unfortunatelyy, canned asparagus exists.
    >>>
    >>> I like it as well as the fresh. Just something we ate years ago.
    >>> Janet US

    >>
    >> I've tried canned asparagus and it's not bad if usually overcooked and
    >> relatively expensive. Generally, I don't eat asparagus unless the stalks
    >> are pencil thin and the cost under $2.50 a pound.

    >
    > I think frozen asparagus is awful. Neither fish nor fowl. The
    > texture is not good and the flavor is marginal. Still, all these
    > preservation methods serve a purpose for those that need them.
    > I read or heard within the last couple of weeks that the early thin
    > stalks of asparagus are nutritionally poor compared to the later fat
    > stalks.
    > Janet US


    Nutrition is not the first thing in my mind when I eat asparagus :-) I
    have to admit that I have pleasant memories of asparagus feasts at
    German restaurants with a large Weiner Schnitzel and about a pound of
    asparagus! I don't really like the thicker forms especially the immense
    "Jumbo Asparagus".

    --
    Jim Silverton

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

  19. #19
    The Cook Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:07:40 -0800, "Julie Bove"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
    >canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    >had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid. Oh the many ways I came up
    >with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    >because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    >didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    >that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    >
    >Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
    >canning or something? Or have I just missed them?
    >


    Try boiling broccoli for 30 minutes and see if it is anything you
    would want to eat. Canning low acid foods takes at least that long
    and in a pressure canner. Can you say mush?
    --
    Susan N.

    "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
    48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
    Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

  20. #20
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Canned broccoli?

    On 08/03/2012 11:07 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
    > It just occurred to me that I have never seen it. I don't think I have seen
    > canned cauliflower either. I know canned asparagus used to exist because we
    > had to eat it once in a while when I was a kid.


    I still see jars of asparagus, but I have not seen it in cans in at
    least 30 years.

    There are that many canned products any more. When I was a kid there
    weren't many households with chest freezer and the refrigerator freezer
    was too small to hold much more than one or two ice cube trays and maybe
    a half gallon of ice cream. Everything was canned. A lot of people did
    their own canning, putting up fresh produce from their garden in Mason
    jars. Everyone else bought their canned goods at the grocery store, and
    just about everything came canned. Grocery stores had aisles and aisles
    and aisles full of canned goods. I noted this morning that the canned
    vegetable section of our local grocery store is only about 10 feed long,
    and the canned fruit section is a little smaller. In years past, each
    one would have been an entire aisle.






    Oh the many ways I came up
    > with to dispose of that! And I think there were canned Brussel Sprouts
    > because we had those as a kid and my mom rarely fixed any vegetables that
    > didn't come from a can. She did do real potatoes, carrots and celery but
    > that was about it except for the few years we had a garden.
    >
    > Does canned broccoli exist? What about cauliflower? Do they not hold up to
    > canning or something? Or have I just missed them?



    I have never seen it and I can't imagine it being good..... Google is
    your friend. Yes, it does exist.



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32