Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Burgers @ Breakfast

  1. #21
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On 10/13/2012 8:19 AM, merryb wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 4:41 am, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:
    >> Burgers @ Breakfast
    >>
    >> A box (6-pack) of White Castle cheeseburgers with sides of
    >> mustard, guac and pesto for dipping.
    >>
    >> Ooh-lah-lah x 6.
    >>
    >> Washed down by a tall glass of water.
    >>
    >> I'm not trying to set any burger world record but still a
    >> valiant effort at today's kitchen table.
    >>
    >> You?
    >>
    >> Andy

    >
    > If you are in the mood to make your own, I have a recipe that comes
    > pretty close. The burgers are basically steamed on a bed of onions-
    > let me know if you're interested...
    >


    My guess is that the liver flavoring of White Castle's sliders comes
    from the dehydrated onions that steams the meat. The last time I had a
    burger, I rolled balls of the meat in dehydrated onions and then
    flattened it out on the grill. I love that stuff and most times don't
    bother rehydrating the onions. It's better that way.

  2. #22
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On Oct 13, 5:27*pm, Bryan <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 1:19*pm, merryb <msg...@juno.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Oct 13, 4:41*am, Andy <a...@b.c> wrote:

    >
    > > > Burgers @ Breakfast

    >
    > > > A box (6-pack) of White Castle cheeseburgers with sides of
    > > > mustard, guac and pesto for dipping.

    >
    > > > Ooh-lah-lah x 6.

    >
    > > > Washed down by a tall glass of water.

    >
    > > > I'm not trying to set any burger world record but still a
    > > > valiant effort at today's kitchen table.

    >
    > > > You?

    >
    > > > Andy

    >
    > > If you are in the mood to make your own, I have a recipe that comes
    > > pretty close. The burgers are basically steamed on a bed of onions-
    > > let me know if you're interested...

    >
    > If the recipe does not use dehydrated chopped onions, then it will be
    > nothing like White Castle.
    >
    > --Bryan


    No, they are fresh. I guess they might be better!

  3. #23
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On Oct 13, 4:58*pm, Cheryl <jlhsha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > On 10/13/2012 2:19 PM, merryb wrote:
    >
    > > If you are in the mood to make your own, I have a recipe that comes
    > > pretty close. The burgers are basically steamed on a bed of onions-
    > > let me know if you're interested...

    >
    > I'm interested please!! *


    Ok- let me see if I can find the link- it was off of Serious Eats...

  4. #24
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On Oct 13, 4:58*pm, Cheryl <jlhsha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > On 10/13/2012 2:19 PM, merryb wrote:
    >
    > > If you are in the mood to make your own, I have a recipe that comes
    > > pretty close. The burgers are basically steamed on a bed of onions-
    > > let me know if you're interested...

    >
    > I'm interested please!! *


    Ok, if you google ultimate sliders the recipe should be #1- by Kenji
    at Serious Eats. Seriously good!

  5. #25
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On Oct 13, 7:53*pm, merryb <msg...@juno.com> wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 4:58*pm, Cheryl <jlhsha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On 10/13/2012 2:19 PM, merryb wrote:

    >
    > > > If you are in the mood to make your own, I have a recipe that comes
    > > > pretty close. The burgers are basically steamed on a bed of onions-
    > > > let me know if you're interested...

    >
    > > I'm interested please!! *

    >
    > Ok- let me see if I can find the link- it was off of Serious Eats...


    If you mean this:
    http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...-white-ka.html
    that's not going to give you anything like a White Castle, and love
    them or hate them, their buns are unique. Instead of trying to home
    cook a knock off, just make sure that when you visit a city that has
    White Castle, that you go there. I'd recommend that you order nothing
    other than the hamburgers, as their fries are crappy crinkle cut
    junk. I order mine with extra pickle and extra onion. If you have
    never tried them before--and especially if you order them with extra
    onion--I'd suggest that you take a double dose of Beano, unless you
    want to risk having the worst attack of flatulence in your life. If
    you like process cheese, you could get the cheeseburgers. More than
    likely, if you didn't grow up eating them, you'll think once is
    enough. Since I gave up cigarettes, their appeal has faded. They are
    so strongly flavored that they cut through the flavor-dumbing of
    tobacco, and back when I smoked I used to eat there a lot. You might
    want to try a packet of their horseradish mustard too. Their fish
    sandwiches are decent, and also unique because of the buns.

    It's funny, typing about White Castle while listening to our STL
    Symphony on the radio, playing Debussy's La Mer.

    --Bryan

  6. #26
    Steve Pope Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    Bryan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >White Castle hamburgers do not, and have never, contained liver.


    Back in my carnivore days, I used to enjoy chopped liver on
    a burger, or on a pastrami, or.... no wonder I developed gout!


    Steve

  7. #27
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On Oct 13, 8:06*pm, Bryan <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 7:53*pm, merryb <msg...@juno.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 13, 4:58*pm, Cheryl <jlhsha...@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >
    > > > On 10/13/2012 2:19 PM, merryb wrote:

    >
    > > > > If you are in the mood to make your own, I have a recipe that comes
    > > > > pretty close. The burgers are basically steamed on a bed of onions-
    > > > > let me know if you're interested...

    >
    > > > I'm interested please!! *

    >
    > > Ok- let me see if I can find the link- it was off of Serious Eats...

    >
    > If you mean this:http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...-white-ka.html
    > that's not going to give you anything like a White Castle, and love
    > them or hate them, their buns are unique. *Instead of trying to home
    > cook a knock off, just make sure that when you visit a city that has
    > White Castle, that you go there. *I'd recommend that you order nothing
    > other than the hamburgers, as their fries are crappy crinkle cut
    > junk. *I order mine with extra pickle and extra onion. *If you have
    > never tried them before--and especially if you order them with extra
    > onion--I'd suggest that you take a double dose of Beano, unless you
    > want to risk having the worst attack of flatulence in your life. *If
    > you like process cheese, you could get the cheeseburgers. *More than
    > likely, if you didn't grow up eating them, you'll think once is
    > enough. *Since I gave up cigarettes, their appeal has faded. *They are
    > so strongly flavored that they cut through the flavor-dumbing of
    > tobacco, and back when I smoked I used to eat there a lot. *You might
    > want to try a packet of their horseradish mustard too. *Their fish
    > sandwiches are decent, and also unique because of the buns.
    >
    > It's funny, typing about White Castle while listening to our STL
    > Symphony on the radio, playing Debussy's La Mer.
    >
    > --Bryan


    Nope, not that one- they were called Ultimate Sliders...

  8. #28
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On 10/14/2012 2:13 PM, merryb wrote:

    > Nope, not that one- they were called Ultimate Sliders...


    Found it and I'm going to give it a try. When I was a teenager, I
    remember some place in my town that had sliders as a specialty but it
    wasn't White Castle. Some knock off I guess but they sold them the same
    way, in a sack. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the
    place but I remember where they were. Now that I've fixed up my Now
    You're Cooking database, I got to save it.

    I lost my entire hard drive a couple of months ago and all of my usual
    ways to recover didn't work because I dropped the laptop on the floor
    (soon after surgery one and I was weak) and the hard drive had damage.
    Had to pay plenty to recover it, but I just didn't see any choice given
    everything I had on there and no backup. I know, bad IT person. LOL I
    now have a TB external drive and a backup schedule to prevent this from
    happening again. *sigh*

  9. #29
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On 10/13/2012 8:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:
    >
    > My guess is that the liver flavoring of White Castle's sliders comes
    > from the dehydrated onions that steams the meat. The last time I had a
    > burger, I rolled balls of the meat in dehydrated onions and then
    > flattened it out on the grill. I love that stuff and most times don't
    > bother rehydrating the onions. It's better that way.


    Are dehydrated onions the same thing sold as minced onion?

  10. #30
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On Oct 14, 5:05*pm, Cheryl <jlhsha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > On 10/14/2012 2:13 PM, merryb wrote:
    >
    > > Nope, not that one- they were called Ultimate Sliders...

    >
    > Found it and I'm going to give it a try. *When I was a teenager, I
    > remember some place in my town that had sliders as a specialty but it
    > wasn't White Castle. *Some knock off I guess but they sold them the same
    > way, in a sack. *For the life of me I can't remember the name of the
    > place but I remember where they were. *Now that I've fixed up my Now
    > You're Cooking database, I got to save it.
    >
    > I lost my entire hard drive a couple of months ago and all of my usual
    > ways to recover didn't work because I dropped the laptop on the floor
    > (soon after surgery one and I was weak) and the hard drive had damage.
    > Had to pay plenty to recover it, but I just didn't see any choice given
    > everything I had on there and no backup. *I know, bad IT person. *LOL*I
    > now have a TB external drive and a backup schedule to prevent this from
    > happening again. **sigh*


    I have to admit these are pretty good- the 15 year old son requests
    them often.

  11. #31
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On 10/14/2012 2:05 PM, Cheryl wrote:
    > On 10/13/2012 8:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:
    >>
    >> My guess is that the liver flavoring of White Castle's sliders comes
    >> from the dehydrated onions that steams the meat. The last time I had a
    >> burger, I rolled balls of the meat in dehydrated onions and then
    >> flattened it out on the grill. I love that stuff and most times don't
    >> bother rehydrating the onions. It's better that way.

    >
    > Are dehydrated onions the same thing sold as minced onion?


    I think so. It's dried onion flakes. I wouldn't the the small bottles of
    the stuff. I buy the big containers from the warehouse club. The
    dehydrated onions sold as chopped and minced onion appear to be the
    same. It's good stuff.

  12. #32
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast


    "dsi1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:k5gjtn$280$[email protected]..
    > On 10/14/2012 2:05 PM, Cheryl wrote:
    >> On 10/13/2012 8:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> My guess is that the liver flavoring of White Castle's sliders comes
    >>> from the dehydrated onions that steams the meat. The last time I had a
    >>> burger, I rolled balls of the meat in dehydrated onions and then
    >>> flattened it out on the grill. I love that stuff and most times don't
    >>> bother rehydrating the onions. It's better that way.

    >>
    >> Are dehydrated onions the same thing sold as minced onion?

    >
    > I think so. It's dried onion flakes. I wouldn't the the small bottles of
    > the stuff. I buy the big containers from the warehouse club. The
    > dehydrated onions sold as chopped and minced onion appear to be the same.
    > It's good stuff.


    I prefer the freeze dried ones from Just Tomatoes. Although they can be
    hard to find. They rehydrate almost instantly. You don't need to soak them
    in water or cook for a longer period of time like you do with those ordinary
    ones.



  13. #33
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast


    On 15-Oct-2012, dsi1 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >
    > > Are dehydrated onions the same thing sold as minced onion?

    >
    > I think so. It's dried onion flakes. I wouldn't the the small bottles of
    > the stuff. I buy the big containers from the warehouse club. The
    > dehydrated onions sold as chopped and minced onion appear to be the
    > same. It's good stuff.


    The dehydrated onions, as used by WC, are chopped not minced before
    dehydration. As I recall, the chopped onions are about a 3/8" dice after
    rehydration. There will be some difference in the end product when
    duplicating a WC; but, using rehydrated minced is a better choice than fresh
    diced.

    When WC makes their burgers, or as they did years ago when I knew their
    process well, they make sure to get a lot of the rehydration water on the
    grill. The steam coming off the onion/onion-water rises through the holes
    in the meat and cooks it through, avoiding the need to flip the meat. As
    the hydration water turns to steam, it leaves behind more onion flavor than
    you would get using drained rehydrated onions.
    --

    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  14. #34
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On 10/15/2012 4:11 AM, l, not -l wrote:
    > On 15-Oct-2012, dsi1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>>
    >>> Are dehydrated onions the same thing sold as minced onion?

    >>
    >> I think so. It's dried onion flakes. I wouldn't the the small bottles of
    >> the stuff. I buy the big containers from the warehouse club. The
    >> dehydrated onions sold as chopped and minced onion appear to be the
    >> same. It's good stuff.

    >
    > The dehydrated onions, as used by WC, are chopped not minced before
    > dehydration. As I recall, the chopped onions are about a 3/8" dice after
    > rehydration. There will be some difference in the end product when
    > duplicating a WC; but, using rehydrated minced is a better choice than fresh
    > diced.
    >
    > When WC makes their burgers, or as they did years ago when I knew their
    > process well, they make sure to get a lot of the rehydration water on the
    > grill. The steam coming off the onion/onion-water rises through the holes
    > in the meat and cooks it through, avoiding the need to flip the meat. As
    > the hydration water turns to steam, it leaves behind more onion flavor than
    > you would get using drained rehydrated onions.
    >


    Oops, I sent the reply to the wrong place. Damn you T-bird upgrades!
    Sorry about that!

  15. #35
    dsi1 Guest

    Default Re: Burgers @ Breakfast

    On 10/15/2012 12:02 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
    > "dsi1" <dsi1@eternal-september.inv[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:k5gjtn$280$[email protected]..
    >> On 10/14/2012 2:05 PM, Cheryl wrote:
    >>> On 10/13/2012 8:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> My guess is that the liver flavoring of White Castle's sliders comes
    >>>> from the dehydrated onions that steams the meat. The last time I had a
    >>>> burger, I rolled balls of the meat in dehydrated onions and then
    >>>> flattened it out on the grill. I love that stuff and most times don't
    >>>> bother rehydrating the onions. It's better that way.
    >>>
    >>> Are dehydrated onions the same thing sold as minced onion?

    >>
    >> I think so. It's dried onion flakes. I wouldn't the the small bottles of
    >> the stuff. I buy the big containers from the warehouse club. The
    >> dehydrated onions sold as chopped and minced onion appear to be the same.
    >> It's good stuff.

    >
    > I prefer the freeze dried ones from Just Tomatoes. Although they can be
    > hard to find. They rehydrate almost instantly. You don't need to soak them
    > in water or cook for a longer period of time like you do with those ordinary
    > ones.
    >
    >


    I've never seen freeze dried onions. That sounds interesting but
    expensive. I don't re-hydrate the onions if I can help it. I don't like
    waiting around to plump up and that onion water left over is plain nasty.

    I'm probably going to fry up some ahi burgers on the contact grill for
    dinner tonight. It'll take about 3 minutes. I can either serve it with
    mayo/Siriacha or a tartar sauce. I can make the tartar sauce in a few
    seconds. It's mayo with dehydrated onions and some green herb stuff in a
    tube. Don't bother to rehydrate the onions - it's tasty!


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32