Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

  1. #1
    Stu Guest

    Default Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?


    Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    considering it to be a southern or regional thing.


    --

    Stu

    Recipe of the week "Caramel Custard"
    http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html

    Foodforu's Christmas for your Family
    http://foodforu.ca/christmas/


  2. #2
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:32:43 -0600, Stu <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.


    I think the consensus here in rfc by those who've eaten it was that
    it's awful.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  3. #3
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On Nov 27, 11:40*am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:32:43 -0600, Stu <s...@foodforu.ca> wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.

    >
    > I think the consensus here in rfc by those who've eaten it was that
    > it's awful.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Never trust a dog to watch your food.


    I'm betting Andy has tried it.

  4. #4
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:52:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > I'm betting Andy has tried it.


    I wish you four would just kill each other.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  5. #5
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Stu <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Stu
    >
    > Recipe of the week "Caramel Custard"
    > http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html
    >
    > Foodforu's Christmas for your Family
    > http://foodforu.ca/christmas/


    Did you miss the memo??? ;-)
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
    no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Omelet Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    In article
    <ec10c093-5eaa-4c9e-85e7-12ddb32b[email protected]>,
    Chemo the Clown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Nov 27, 11:40*am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 13:32:43 -0600, Stu <s...@foodforu.ca> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > > > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > > > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.

    > >
    > > I think the consensus here in rfc by those who've eaten it was that
    > > it's awful.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Never trust a dog to watch your food.

    >
    > I'm betting Andy has tried it.


    <snork> ;-D
    --
    Peace! Om

    Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
    *Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or
    no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Chemo the Clown Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On Nov 27, 11:56*am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:52:46 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
    >
    > <bhansen1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm betting Andy has tried it.

    >
    > I wish you four would just kill each other.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Never trust a dog to watch your food.


    Believe me...we've been trying.

  8. #8
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    "Stu" wrote

    > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.


    Nevr heard of it and if it's southern at all, it's no part I've ever lived
    in. At best it may be a poor folks depression era dish from the 30's.


  9. #9
    Whirled Peas Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On 11/27/2010 11:32 AM, Stu wrote:
    >
    > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.


    Kinda depends on what kind of gravy you're talking about. If it's mostly
    seasoned broth thickened with cornstarch, then it doesn't appeal.
    However, it was traditional in my family to have giblet gravy, which
    included ALL the pieces in the paper sack inside. Everything but the
    liver was simmered for a couple of hours, then the meat was removed from
    the neck bones. The meat and everything else (including the liver) was
    diced and put back in the pot with the simmering liquid. A milk/flour
    slurry was added, seasoned and simmered for another hour or so. The
    liver dissolved in the gravy by this time. Just before serving, a couple
    of hard-boiled eggs were diced small and stirred in. Longer simmering
    will toughen the eggs. Don't know if this is suthrun or not, but it's
    the way my family made it for decades. I really like it.

  10. #10
    Michael O'Connor Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    I live in SC (although originally from the other side of the Mason
    Dixon line) and it is definitely a southern thing. I never cared for
    diced up hard boiled eggs in gravy, but here they also put diced hard
    boiled egg in their stuffing/dressing, which I don't care for either.

  11. #11
    Dan Abel Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Stu <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.


    I think that might be the rec.food.cooking "forum". Have you ever heard
    of that one?

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...ad/thread/bbb1
    2bed7e65ab04/993a20f82cedd686?hl=en&q=egg+turkey+gravy+group:re c.food.coo
    king#993a20f82cedd686

    --
    Dan Abel
    Petaluma, California USA
    [email protected]

  12. #12
    Terry Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 15:06:31 -0500, "cshenk" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Stu" wrote
    >
    >> Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    >> one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    >> considering it to be a southern or regional thing.

    >
    >Nevr heard of it and if it's southern at all, it's no part I've ever lived
    >in. At best it may be a poor folks depression era dish from the 30's.


    I had never heard of it until last year's departmental Thanksgiving
    potluck. We had the turkey, dressing, and gravy prepared by a local
    grocery store/deli, and the gravy contained chunks of hard boiled
    eggs. No thankee sai, I will pass...
    --
    Best -- Terry

  13. #13
    ravenlynne Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On 11/27/2010 2:32 PM, Stu wrote:
    >
    > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Stu


    >


    Well, I've learned, from reading this ng the past month, that apparently
    you can put boiled eggs in anything. :-/

    --
    Currently reading: The Chalice by Phil Rickman and The Walking Dead vol 3

  14. #14
    itsjoannotjoann Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On Nov 27, 2:50*pm, Whirled Peas <ft...@fog42gy.42net> wrote:
    > On 11/27/2010 11:32 AM, Stu wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.

    >
    > Kinda depends on what kind of gravy you're talking about. If it's mostly
    > seasoned broth thickened with cornstarch, then it doesn't appeal.
    > However, it was traditional in my family to have giblet gravy, which
    > included ALL the pieces in the paper sack inside. Everything but the
    > liver was simmered for a couple of hours, then the meat was removed from
    > the neck bones. The meat and everything else (including the liver) was
    > diced and put back in the pot with the simmering liquid. A milk/flour
    > slurry was added, seasoned and simmered for another hour or so. The
    > liver dissolved in the gravy by this time. Just before serving, a couple
    > of hard-boiled eggs were diced small and stirred in. Longer simmering
    > will toughen the eggs. Don't know if this is suthrun or not, but it's
    > the way my family made it for decades. I really like it.


    >
    >

    Peas is correct. They are added right before serving and I like them,
    too. I don't recall the chopped boiled eggs adding particular flavor,
    though.

  15. #15
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?


    On 27-Nov-2010, Stu <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.


    While I haven't seen such in decades, I recall my grandmother used to put
    chopped hard-boiled eggs in giblet gravy on occasion. This would have been
    in western Kentucky, which is southern, in the '50s.

    Perhaps the reason I haven't seen it since is, we moved north 5 decades ago
    and my grandmother passed away about 40 years ago. 8-(
    --
    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  16. #16
    l, not -l Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?


    On 27-Nov-2010, ravenlynne <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, I've learned, from reading this ng the past month, that apparently
    > you can put boiled eggs in anything. :-/


    They're pretty good sliced, on toast, smothered in sausage gravy. Then
    again, what isn't good smothered in sausage gravy? 8-)
    --
    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  17. #17
    ravenlynne Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On 11/27/2010 6:41 PM, l, not -l wrote:
    > On 27-Nov-2010, ravenlynne<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Well, I've learned, from reading this ng the past month, that apparently
    >> you can put boiled eggs in anything. :-/

    >
    > They're pretty good sliced, on toast, smothered in sausage gravy. Then
    > again, what isn't good smothered in sausage gravy? 8-)


    Chocolate. :-D

    --
    Currently reading: The Chalice by Phil Rickman and The Walking Dead vol 3

  18. #18
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On Nov 27, 2:45*pm, itsjoannotjoann <itsjoannotjo...@webtv.net> wrote:
    > On Nov 27, 2:50*pm, Whirled Peas <ft...@fog42gy.42net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 11/27/2010 11:32 AM, Stu wrote:

    >
    > > > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > > > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > > > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.

    >
    > > Kinda depends on what kind of gravy you're talking about. If it's mostly
    > > seasoned broth thickened with cornstarch, then it doesn't appeal.
    > > However, it was traditional in my family to have giblet gravy, which
    > > included ALL the pieces in the paper sack inside. Everything but the
    > > liver was simmered for a couple of hours, then the meat was removed from
    > > the neck bones. The meat and everything else (including the liver) was
    > > diced and put back in the pot with the simmering liquid. A milk/flour
    > > slurry was added, seasoned and simmered for another hour or so. The
    > > liver dissolved in the gravy by this time. Just before serving, a couple
    > > of hard-boiled eggs were diced small and stirred in. Longer simmering
    > > will toughen the eggs. Don't know if this is suthrun or not, but it's
    > > the way my family made it for decades. I really like it.

    >
    > Peas is correct. *They are added right before serving and I like them,
    > too. *I don't recall the chopped boiled eggs adding particular flavor,
    > though.


    Yup, that's the way my Mother's whole family made giblet gravy. I
    grew up on it. Loved it too. I haven't made it that
    way for 30 years or so since I'm not living in that part of the South
    any longer and none of my friends understand it or will eat it.

    I also love to make sliced boiled eggs on toast covered with breakfast
    cream gravy. It's yummy.


  19. #19
    Sky Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On 11/27/2010 1:32 PM, Stu wrote:
    >
    > Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    > one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    > considering it to be a southern or regional thing.


    I hadn't heard of hard-boiled eggs in turkey gravy until I experienced
    my first holiday dinner at the former MIL's home decades ago. Talk
    about peculiar, IME! They lived in the Panhandle of Texas <--- not sure
    if that's "southern" (?). However, having spent many years and
    countless holidays in "Dixieland" down south, never once have I seen any
    gravy there that included hard-boiled eggs.

    Sky

    --

    Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
    Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

  20. #20
    Stu Guest

    Default Re: Boiled eggs in turkey gravy?

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:41:06 -0500, ravenlynne
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 11/27/2010 2:32 PM, Stu wrote:
    >>
    >> Has anyone ever seen, eaten, heard of boiled eggs in turkey gravy? In
    >> one of the forums we belong to someone mentioned it, and they are
    >> considering it to be a southern or regional thing.
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Stu

    >
    >>

    >
    >Well, I've learned, from reading this ng the past month, that apparently
    >you can put boiled eggs in anything. :-/


    a filler of sorts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32