Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Black cartilage in potato

  1. #1
    Tom Del Rosso Guest

    Default Black cartilage in potato


    Cutting open a baked potato, I found a long strip of black cartilagenous
    material through the center. It had a Y-shaped cross section like the
    cartilage on the breast bone of a chicken, and was almost as hard.

    This potato had no sprouts of marks on the outside.

    What was that?


    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
    zero, and remove the last word.



  2. #2
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato

    On Jan 30, 11:02*am, "Tom Del Rosso" <td...@verizon.net.invalid>
    wrote:
    > Cutting open a baked potato, I found a long strip of black cartilagenous
    > material through the center. *It had a Y-shaped cross section like the
    > cartilage on the breast bone of a chicken, and was almost as hard.
    >
    > This potato had no sprouts of marks on the outside.
    >
    > What was that?


    It was not cartilage, I can tell you that!

    John Kuthe...

  3. #3
    Tom Del Rosso Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato


    John Kuthe wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 11:02 am, "Tom Del Rosso" <td...@verizon.net.invalid>
    > wrote:
    > > Cutting open a baked potato, I found a long strip of black
    > > cartilagenous material through the center. It had a Y-shaped cross
    > > section like the cartilage on the breast bone of a chicken, and was
    > > almost as hard.
    > >
    > > This potato had no sprouts of marks on the outside.
    > >
    > > What was that?

    >
    > It was not cartilage, I can tell you that!


    It was too solid to be a mold. Maybe some kind of in-grown skin.


    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
    zero, and remove the last word.



  4. #4
    Janet Bostwick Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:02:55 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
    <td_03@ver[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >Cutting open a baked potato, I found a long strip of black cartilagenous
    >material through the center. It had a Y-shaped cross section like the
    >cartilage on the breast bone of a chicken, and was almost as hard.
    >
    >This potato had no sprouts of marks on the outside.
    >
    >What was that?


    see here
    http://nu-distance.unl.edu/homer/dis...o/PoBlHrt.html
    Janet us

  5. #5
    Tom Del Rosso Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato


    Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >
    > see here
    > http://nu-distance.unl.edu/homer/dis...o/PoBlHrt.html


    Thanks.


    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
    zero, and remove the last word.



  6. #6
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato

    On Jan 30, 11:30*am, Janet Bostwick <nos...@cableone.net> wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:02:55 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
    >
    > <td...@verizon.net.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > >Cutting open a baked potato, I found a long strip of black cartilagenous
    > >material through the center. *It had a Y-shaped cross section like the
    > >cartilage on the breast bone of a chicken, and was almost as hard.

    >
    > >This potato had no sprouts of marks on the outside.

    >
    > >What was that?

    >
    > see herehttp://nu-distance.unl.edu/homer/disease/agron/Potato/PoBlHrt.html
    > Janet us


    There ya go, I told you it was not cartilage!

    Thanks Janet! Now we all know. :-)

    John Kuthe...

  7. #7
    A Moose in Love Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato

    On Jan 30, 12:02*pm, "Tom Del Rosso" <td...@verizon.net.invalid>
    wrote:
    > Cutting open a baked potato, I found a long strip of black cartilagenous
    > material through the center. *It had a Y-shaped cross section like the
    > cartilage on the breast bone of a chicken, and was almost as hard.
    >
    > This potato had no sprouts of marks on the outside.
    >
    > What was that?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
    > zero, and remove the last word.


    cancer

  8. #8
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato

    On Jan 30, 12:01*pm, A Moose in Love <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
    wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 12:02*pm, "Tom Del Rosso" <td...@verizon.net.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Cutting open a baked potato, I found a long strip of black cartilagenous
    > > material through the center. *It had a Y-shaped cross section like the
    > > cartilage on the breast bone of a chicken, and was almost as hard.

    >
    > > This potato had no sprouts of marks on the outside.

    >
    > > What was that?

    >
    > > --

    >
    > > Reply in group, but if emailing add one more
    > > zero, and remove the last word.

    >
    > cancer


    Not really, since cancer is your own cells mutated and misbehaving.

    John Kuthe...

  9. #9
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:36:34 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >>
    >> see here
    >> http://nu-distance.unl.edu/homer/dis...o/PoBlHrt.html

    >
    >Thanks.


    Thanks Tom for asking and thanks Janet for answering. Yesterday I had
    a potato just like that, now I know what it is.

    koko
    --
    Food is our common ground, a universal experience
    James Beard

    www.kokoscornerblog.com

    Natural Watkins Spices
    www.apinchofspices.com

  10. #10
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato

    On 1/30/2012 7:25 PM, [email protected] wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:36:34 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Janet Bostwick wrote:
    >>>
    >>> see here
    >>> http://nu-distance.unl.edu/homer/dis...o/PoBlHrt.html

    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >
    > Thanks Tom for asking and thanks Janet for answering. Yesterday I had
    > a potato just like that, now I know what it is.


    Same here. I just thought it was simply rot.


  11. #11
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Black cartilage in potato

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:30:03 -0700, Janet Bostwick
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:02:55 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >Cutting open a baked potato, I found a long strip of black cartilagenous
    > >material through the center. It had a Y-shaped cross section like the
    > >cartilage on the breast bone of a chicken, and was almost as hard.
    > >
    > >This potato had no sprouts of marks on the outside.
    > >
    > >What was that?

    >
    > see here
    > http://nu-distance.unl.edu/homer/dis...o/PoBlHrt.html


    Thanks. I've always just sucked it up and haven't complained to the
    store, but it looks like part of the problem is preventable so maybe I
    should. They could certainly spot check for the problem and reject
    shipments if they find enough of it. The blight isn't just a random
    potato here or there, I often have an entire bag full of potatoes with
    it.


    --

    Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
    https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32