Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 125

Thread: Big 10 inch

  1. #1
    notbob Guest

    Default Big 10 inch

    Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

    Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
    8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
    hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
    freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
    handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
    these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
    side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.

    Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
    dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
    the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
    cutting boards, of any size. Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
    maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
    12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
    tire chock? DIY duck press?

    Anyway, I gotta 9lb watermelon with my knife's name on it!

    nb

  2. #2
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch


    "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!


    Is it the "Classic" line?

    >
    > Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
    > maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
    > 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!?


    They have a specific purpose. It is to impress the neighbors when they drop
    by.

    I make my cutting boards 12 1/2" wide because I have a 13" planer they have
    to go through. But I usually make them only about 3/4" thick.


  3. #3
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On 2010-08-08, Ed Pawlowski <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

    >
    > Is it the "Classic" line?


    Yep.

    > I make my cutting boards 12 1/2" wide because I have a 13" planer they have
    > to go through. But I usually make them only about 3/4" thick.


    Sounds perfect, Ed, but I need some room. I got this knife to make
    short work of stuff like a whole cabbage when I do cole slaw. Plus, I
    finally got off my high horse and will settle for a polyethylene
    board. I've used them and they work fine. If I run across a good
    maple board for a reasonable price, I'll get it, but I can buy a
    15x20x3/4" NSF poly board for under $20. Good enough for me.

    nb

  4. #4
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > What the Hell do I want a
    > 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
    > tire chock? DIY duck press?


    To absorb the shock of the meat cleaver and allow for
    sanding/refinishing.

    -sw

  5. #5
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 02:37:40 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sounds perfect, Ed, but I need some room. I got this knife to make
    > short work of stuff like a whole cabbage when I do cole slaw. Plus, I
    > finally got off my high horse and will settle for a polyethylene
    > board. I've used them and they work fine. If I run across a good
    > maple board for a reasonable price, I'll get it, but I can buy a
    > 15x20x3/4" NSF poly board for under $20. Good enough for me.


    You have options... when is your DD coming for a visit? Ask her to
    bring one with her.

    --

    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  6. #6
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:nuk7o.44484$[email protected]..
    > Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!
    >
    > Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
    > 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
    > hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
    > freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
    > handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
    > these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
    > side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.
    >
    > Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
    > dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
    > the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
    > cutting boards, of any size. Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
    > maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
    > 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
    > tire chock? DIY duck press?
    >
    > Anyway, I gotta 9lb watermelon with my knife's name on it!
    >
    > nb


    >

    nb... I don't know about your knife but I have a 2-1/2" thick 12X14 board.
    The reason I like it is it will easily handle that watermelon. Use a
    cleaver, it won't break the board. I use mine for chopping hard shelled
    winter squashes (butternut, acorn) in half. They aren't exactly easy to
    crack, but the board can handle it.

    Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare flank
    steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime rib) au
    jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the juices just
    run all over the counter. The extra thick boards work well for cutting up
    chicken., too.

    I wouldn't pay $70 for one. I don't recall what I paid for mine but $20
    sounds about right. You seem to be stuck on name brands so maybe that's a
    problem. I sure wouldn't waste my money on polyethylene. I don't care what
    the guy at the knife shop told you... that stuff will dull the blade. But
    then again, he probably just wants to sell you another knife

    Jill


  7. #7
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1gi2ig1lupue4$.[email protected]..
    > On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:
    >
    >> What the Hell do I want a
    >> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
    >> tire chock? DIY duck press?

    >
    > To absorb the shock of the meat cleaver and allow for
    > sanding/refinishing.
    >
    > -sw




    Exactly! I can't imagine using a plastic (polyetheline) cutting board. I
    can't think of a faster way to dull a knife.

    Jill


  8. #8
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On 2010-08-08, jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > nb... I don't know about your knife but I have a 2-1/2" thick 12X14 board.


    What's that sucker weigh? More than I care to deal with, I'm sure.

    > Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare flank
    > steak the juices need somewhere to go.


    It's not the concept of a groove or gutter or whatever it's called,
    it's the fact they put them on boards that are way too small. Having
    jes done a flank steak, I can definitely see the need, jes not on a
    8x10" board.

    > You seem to be stuck on name brands so maybe that's a
    > problem.


    How do you figure? I bought a great knife. Should I have called it,
    "that really sharp knife from Japan"? Would you know what I was
    talking about? Same with the Wusthof board. That's who made it. I
    jes mentioned it. It wasn't an endorsement.

    > I sure wouldn't waste my money on polyethylene. I don't care what
    > the guy at the knife shop told you... that stuff will dull the
    > blade.


    You have documented proof of this?

    > But
    > then again, he probably just wants to sell you another knife


    The knife I bought recommends poly boards, among others. They also
    offer to resharpen their knife for free, should it need it. I doubt
    they would purposely recommend something that creates unnecessary
    work/cost for themselves.

    nb


  9. #9
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:

    >
    > Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
    > dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
    > the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
    > cutting boards, of any size.


    i'm not surprised. they're hell on the knife edge.

    your pal,
    blake

  10. #10
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    "jmcquown" wrote:

    >"notbob" wrote:
    >>
    >> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
    >> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
    >> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless.


    Those holes make it easier to lift the board from a wet countertop,
    helps break the vacuum. 8"X11" is kind of small, my favorate plastic
    board is 9"X14"... minus 2" for the hole. I have lots of larger
    boards but I tend to choose the smallest board that does the job. I've
    seen too many people use a huge heavy board just to slice a
    sandwhich... I've seen where people leave the same hunk of tree out on
    their counter for who knows how long and never clean it other than a
    swipe with a dirty schmatah.

    >Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare flank
    >steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime rib) au
    >jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the juices just
    >run all over the counter.


    Isn't that what jelly roll pans are for? Even when I carve a large
    roast I place my large BooS carving board inside a roasting pan - can
    carve right at the table on good linen with no mess. When I defrost
    meat in the fridge the package goes into some piece of bakeware, I
    hate opening my fridge first thing in the morning to find puddles of
    blood running all over even down into and under the veggie bins, don't
    tell me yoose never... it's much easier to wash a small pan than the
    entire fridge. I have plastic planter dishes that serve as coasters
    that fit 2 qt milk and juice cartons. With cats I have enough
    cleaning, I don't want to clean stupid unneccesary drips.

  11. #11
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On 2010-08-08, brooklyn1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > helps break the vacuum. 8"X11" is kind of small, my favorate plastic
    > board is 9"X14"... minus 2" for the hole.


    My go-to board was a 10"x10" maple. I wish I could find another.

    nb

  12. #12
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    Jill wrote:

    >> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
    >> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
    >> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
    >> freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
    >> handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
    >> these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
    >> side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.

    >
    > Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare flank
    > steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime rib) au
    > jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the juices
    > just run all over the counter.


    He didn't say anything bad about the *concept* of the blood groove, just
    saying that it's silly to put one on a board which is tiny, because you're
    not going to use a tiny board like that to cut up anything large enough for
    the blood groove to make a difference.

    Bob




  13. #13
    gloria.p Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    Sqwertz wrote:
    > On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:
    >
    >> What the Hell do I want a
    >> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
    >> tire chock? DIY duck press?

    >
    > To absorb the shock of the meat cleaver and allow for
    > sanding/refinishing.
    >
    > -sw



    Don't thicker boards resist warping better?

    gloria p

  14. #14
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 11:10:15 -0400, blake murphy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:45:55 GMT, notbob wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
    >> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
    >> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
    >> cutting boards, of any size.


    Because they're inexpensive so they can't make much profit on them.

    >i'm not surprised. they're hell on the knife edge.


    Nonsense. Wood is more abrasive, especially hardwoods... next your
    finger nails are too long scratch your head.

  15. #15
    brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:48:16 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2010-08-08, brooklyn1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> helps break the vacuum. 8"X11" is kind of small, my favorate plastic
    >> board is 9"X14"... minus 2" for the hole.

    >
    >My go-to board was a 10"x10" maple. I wish I could find another.
    >
    >nb


    Most any lumber yard... even Lowes sells various hardwoods.

  16. #16
    J. Clarke Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On 8/8/2010 10:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
    > "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:nuk7o.44484$[email protected]..
    >> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!
    >>
    >> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
    >> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
    >> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
    >> freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
    >> handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
    >> these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
    >> side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.
    >>
    >> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
    >> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
    >> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
    >> cutting boards, of any size. Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
    >> maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
    >> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
    >> tire chock? DIY duck press?
    >>
    >> Anyway, I gotta 9lb watermelon with my knife's name on it!
    >>
    >> nb

    >
    >>

    > nb... I don't know about your knife but I have a 2-1/2" thick 12X14
    > board. The reason I like it is it will easily handle that watermelon.
    > Use a cleaver, it won't break the board. I use mine for chopping hard
    > shelled winter squashes (butternut, acorn) in half. They aren't exactly
    > easy to crack, but the board can handle it.
    >
    > Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare
    > flank steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime
    > rib) au jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the
    > juices just run all over the counter. The extra thick boards work well
    > for cutting up chicken., too.
    >
    > I wouldn't pay $70 for one. I don't recall what I paid for mine but $20
    > sounds about right. You seem to be stuck on name brands so maybe that's
    > a problem. I sure wouldn't waste my money on polyethylene. I don't care
    > what the guy at the knife shop told you... that stuff will dull the
    > blade. But then again, he probably just wants to sell you another knife


    Maple will dull your knife too. The only way to keep from dulling your
    knife is to not use it. Learn to put an edge on it and don't worry
    about it.

    As for cutting boards, if you don't like what you see in stores, go to
    <http://www.mcmaster.com> and find whatever strikes your fancy. They
    have FDA approved polyethylene sheet from 6x12x1/32 to 4'x8'x4".

    For 25 bucks you can get a 1 foot by 2 foot by 5/8 sheet of FDA-approved
    translucent low density polyethylene that should make a dandy cutting
    board. For 35 you can get the same size in white high density.




  17. #17
    Roy Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On Aug 8, 11:31*am, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...@cox.net> wrote:
    > On 8/8/2010 10:30 AM, jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > "notbob" <not...@nothome.com> wrote in message
    > >news:nuk7o.44484$[email protected]..
    > >> Bought it! Got it! It's a Shun. Bound to be fun!

    >
    > >> Now, jes need a 10" or larger cutting board, mine being only
    > >> 8"X9-3/4". Actually, it's an 8"X11", but the damn carrying handle
    > >> hole makes 1-1/4 inches of it completely useless. Who are these
    > >> freakin' morons who think an 8"X11" cutting board needs a damn carry
    > >> handle? I've seen 'em on boards even smaller. Likewise, many of
    > >> these mini-boards (wood) have a blood groove around the edge on one
    > >> side, like I'm gonna slice up a goose or prime rib on an 8"X10" board.

    >
    > >> Evidently, people buy the damn things, cuz a) ppl are essentially
    > >> dumber than dust, b) there's no other alternative. I was shocked that
    > >> the knife shop where I jes got my new knife had zero polyethylene
    > >> cutting boards, of any size. Sure, they had some really nice Wusthof
    > >> maple cutting boards ....2-1/2" thick!! What the Hell do I want a
    > >> 12"X14" by 2-1/2"thk $70 cutting board for!? World's most expensive
    > >> tire chock? DIY duck press?

    >
    > >> Anyway, I gotta 9lb watermelon with my knife's name on it!

    >
    > >> nb

    >
    > > nb... I don't know about your knife but I have a 2-1/2" thick 12X14
    > > board. The reason I like it is it will easily handle that watermelon.
    > > Use a cleaver, it won't break the board. I use mine for chopping hard
    > > shelled winter squashes (butternut, acorn) in half. They aren't exactly
    > > easy to crack, but the board can handle it.

    >
    > > Oh, and that "blood groove" you mentioned? Yes, when I slice a rare
    > > flank steak the juices need somewhere to go. Sure, serve it (or prime
    > > rib) au jus... but if you don't have the groove in the cutting board the
    > > juices just run all over the counter. The extra thick boards work well
    > > for cutting up chicken., too.

    >
    > > I wouldn't pay $70 for one. I don't recall what I paid for mine but $20
    > > sounds about right. You seem to be stuck on name brands so maybe that's
    > > a problem. I sure wouldn't waste my money on polyethylene. I don't care
    > > what the guy at the knife shop told you... that stuff will dull the
    > > blade. But then again, he probably just wants to sell you another knife

    >
    > Maple will dull your knife too. *The only way to keep from dulling your
    > knife is to not use it. *Learn to put an edge on it and don't worry
    > about it.
    >
    > As for cutting boards, if you don't like what you see in stores, go to
    > <http://www.mcmaster.com> and find whatever strikes your fancy. *They
    > have FDA approved polyethylene sheet from 6x12x1/32 to 4'x8'x4".
    >
    > For 25 bucks you can get a 1 foot by 2 foot by 5/8 sheet of FDA-approved
    > translucent low density polyethylene that should make a dandy cutting
    > board. *For 35 you can get the same size in white high density.


    ==
    Way to go. Wooden butcher blocks or cutting boards are no longer
    approved. Wood is porous and hard to sanitize.
    ==


  18. #18
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    In article <4lA7o.20291$[email protected]>,
    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2010-08-08, brooklyn1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > helps break the vacuum. 8"X11" is kind of small, my favorate plastic
    > > board is 9"X14"... minus 2" for the hole.

    >
    > My go-to board was a 10"x10" maple. I wish I could find another.
    >
    > nb


    Like this?
    http://www.servu-online.com/Cutlery-...ers/Serv-U-Pro
    ducts-JNBZ-2156.asp


    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
    St. Pectina of Jella
    "Always in a jam, never in a stew;
    sometimes in a pickle."
    Where are my pearls, Honey?

  19. #19
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch


    "gloria.p" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >
    > Don't thicker boards resist warping better?
    >
    > gloria p



    Yes, depending on how they are made.

  20. #20
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Big 10 inch

    On 2010-08-08, Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Like this?
    > http://www.servu-online.com/Cutlery-...ers/Serv-U-Pro
    > ducts-JNBZ-2156.asp


    Jinkies, Barb! Thank you so much. I looked and looked about a year
    ago and found nothing. I'll give 'em a call, tomorrow. w00t!

    nb

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32