Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Best Panettone?

  1. #1
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Best Panettone?

    Hi, we had our special breakfast of panettone--this year it was
    made by Perbellini. We liked it, but now I am wondering whether
    any company has a reputation for making the best one.

    The first year I tried this, I had Whole Food's deluxe one, which
    was nice. The second year, WF only had one offering, and all I
    could taste was the vanillin. I don't think this year's offering
    contains that, but I wanted to try the best one I could find.
    --
    Jean B.

  2. #2
    Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    "Jean B." wrote:
    > we had our special breakfast of panettone--this year it was
    > made by Perbellini. �We liked it, but now I am wondering whether
    > any company has a reputation for making the best one.
    >
    > The first year I tried this, I had Whole Food's deluxe one, which
    > was nice. �The second year, WF only had one offering, and all I
    > could taste was the vanillin. �I don't think this year's offering
    > contains that, but I wanted to try the best one I could find.


    Best is what tastes best to you... were there really a panettone on
    the planet that everyone agreed was the best there would be no other
    panettone... keep trying the various versions of panettone until you
    narrow it down to the one that tastes best to you. Or since you're
    fussy/picky you can bake your own to suit. Personally I don't think
    panettone is something of any value as a food, it's an awful creation
    that's much more about appearance, that's why those ornate pans. If
    in fact you actually find a panettone you think is the greatest all
    that proves is that you have TIAD.

  3. #3
    Giusi Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    "Jean B." ha scritto nel messaggio > Hi, we had our special breakfast of
    panettone--this year it was
    > made by Perbellini. We liked it, but now I am wondering whether any
    > company has a reputation for making the best one.
    >
    > The first year I tried this, I had Whole Food's deluxe one, which was
    > nice. The second year, WF only had one offering, and all I could taste
    > was the vanillin. I don't think this year's offering contains that, but I
    > wanted to try the best one I could find.
    > --
    > Jean B.


    If you buy one made in Italy, it by law will have no fake ingredients. The
    recipe for panettone is protected. That said, they do vary an awful lot!
    One friend like this one, the other likes that one. Eh.
    Most Italians agree that if you can afford it, the product of a fine local
    bakery is probably always better than anything that comes in a printed box.

    You can make it yourself, but the secret is the extremely long rise and
    that's not easy to accomplish. People who do them homemade also buy those
    paper cases in which they are baked.

    Sheldon has mixed up panettone with pandoro which has a fancy shape.
    Pandoro is less a bread and more a cake and loaded with butter-- always real
    by law.



  4. #4
    Sheldon Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    On Dec 26, 5:11�am, "Giusi" <decobabe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > "Jean B." �ha scritto nel messaggio > Hi, we had our special breakfast of
    > panettone--this year it was
    >
    > > made by Perbellini. �We liked it, but now I am wondering whether any
    > > company has a reputation for making the best one.

    >
    > > The first year I tried this, I had Whole Food's deluxe one, which was
    > > nice. �The second year, WF only had one offering, and all I could taste
    > > was the vanillin. �I don't think this year's offering contains that, but I
    > > wanted to try the best one I could find.
    > > --
    > > Jean B.

    >
    >
    > Sheldon has mixed up panettone with pandoro which has a fancy shape.



    Nonsense, both are made in fancy pans, the pandoro in a star shaped
    pan, the pannetone in a fluted pan. Often both are made in straight
    sided molds.

    http://www.fantes.com/panettone-pandoro.html

    Both of these are awful, flavorless, and the texture of very stale
    cake.... guinea fruit cake... usually dry, mealy and tastless. The
    fancy shapes are to fool the eye into thinking it's something special,
    NOT! Most Italian baked goods are awful, baking is not something
    where Italians excel, the surrounding countries to the north do far
    better. Italians mostly do fried doughs like one finds at gypsy
    carnivals. In fact culinarily the Italians are still at the point
    where 60 years ago a product said Made in Japan... unlike the Japanese
    the Italians will never improve.... most of the world even had pasta
    thousands of years before Italy saw it's first noodle... its one claim
    to fame, extrusion... leave it to the guineas to come up with
    extruding pasta, but it figures, just like *assholes* the guineas
    would be experts in extrusion. LOL

  5. #5
    ravenlynne Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    Giusi wrote:
    > "Jean B." ha scritto nel messaggio > Hi, we had our special breakfast of
    > panettone--this year it was
    >> made by Perbellini. We liked it, but now I am wondering whether any
    >> company has a reputation for making the best one.
    >>
    >> The first year I tried this, I had Whole Food's deluxe one, which was
    >> nice. The second year, WF only had one offering, and all I could taste
    >> was the vanillin. I don't think this year's offering contains that, but I
    >> wanted to try the best one I could find.
    >> --
    >> Jean B.

    >
    > If you buy one made in Italy, it by law will have no fake ingredients. The
    > recipe for panettone is protected. That said, they do vary an awful lot!
    > One friend like this one, the other likes that one. Eh.
    > Most Italians agree that if you can afford it, the product of a fine local
    > bakery is probably always better than anything that comes in a printed box.
    >
    > You can make it yourself, but the secret is the extremely long rise and
    > that's not easy to accomplish. People who do them homemade also buy those
    > paper cases in which they are baked.
    >
    > Sheldon has mixed up panettone with pandoro which has a fancy shape.
    > Pandoro is less a bread and more a cake and loaded with butter-- always real
    > by law.
    >
    >


    I pass the pandoro by..don't like it. We have a Sapori Panettone
    Classico on our counter...I make a trifle that DH likes with part of it.

  6. #6
    Vilco Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    Giusi wrote

    >> made by Perbellini.


    > If you buy one made in Italy, it by law will have no fake
    > ingredients. The recipe for panettone is protected. That said,

    they
    > do vary an awful lot! One friend like this one, the other likes that
    > one. Eh.
    > Most Italians agree that if you can afford it, the product of a fine
    > local bakery is probably always better than anything that comes in a
    > printed box.


    Yes, but... she wrote "Perbellini". That's one helluva bakery, the
    attached restaurant is one of the only three italian restaurants who
    havescore almost every year the three stars on the michelin guide. I
    knopw many people have different opinions on guides, but it was just
    to give an idea of what level Perbellini has reached. His Panettone
    and Offella, a similar local cake, are between the best one can find
    around, both in printed boxes and in local bakeries.
    I think Jean has tried one of the best ones, it would be hard to find
    soemthing better also here in Italy.
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'



  7. #7
    Giusi Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    "Vilco" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Giusi wrote
    >
    >>> made by Perbellini.

    >
    >> If you buy one made in Italy, it by law will have no fake
    >> ingredients. The recipe for panettone is protected. That said,

    > they>> do vary an awful lot!


    > Yes, but... she wrote "Perbellini". That's one helluva bakery, the
    > attached restaurant is one of the only three italian restaurants who
    > havescore almost every year the three stars on the michelin guide.


    snippage

    His Panettone> and Offella, a similar local cake, are between the best one
    can find> around, both in printed boxes and in local bakeries.
    > I think Jean has tried one of the best ones, it would be hard to find
    > soemthing better also here in Italy.
    > --
    > Vilco


    I completely retire behind your much better acquaintance with the two
    holiday sweets! I can count on two hands the ones I have tried personally.
    I haven't the hollow leg that seems to allow Italians to eat these
    confections daily for a month!

    I did watch some years back a docum,entary on the process in which it was
    stated that there is an official recipe and no fake ingredients allowed. It
    was a very interesting show, too.

    Have you ever seen a fluted Panettone? I have never.



  8. #8
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    Sheldon wrote:
    > "Jean B." wrote:
    >> we had our special breakfast of panettone--this year it was
    >> made by Perbellini. �We liked it, but now I am wondering whether
    >> any company has a reputation for making the best one.
    >>
    >> The first year I tried this, I had Whole Food's deluxe one, which
    >> was nice. �The second year, WF only had one offering, and all I
    >> could taste was the vanillin. �I don't think this year's offering
    >> contains that, but I wanted to try the best one I could find.

    >
    > Best is what tastes best to you... were there really a panettone on
    > the planet that everyone agreed was the best there would be no other
    > panettone... keep trying the various versions of panettone until you
    > narrow it down to the one that tastes best to you. Or since you're
    > fussy/picky you can bake your own to suit. Personally I don't think
    > panettone is something of any value as a food, it's an awful creation
    > that's much more about appearance, that's why those ornate pans. If
    > in fact you actually find a panettone you think is the greatest all
    > that proves is that you have TIAD.


    Thanks. Of course, you are right. "Best" is subjective. I just
    feel I have no point of comparison. I think I like this because
    they remind me of something my mom used to make--not quite the
    same, but similarly studded with bits of fruit. (I have not been
    into bread baking for three-plus decades! I suppose if I ever
    have counter space in the kitchen, I might experiment again.)

    --
    Jean B.

  9. #9
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    Giusi wrote:
    > "Jean B." ha scritto nel messaggio > Hi, we had our special breakfast of
    > panettone--this year it was
    >> made by Perbellini. We liked it, but now I am wondering whether any
    >> company has a reputation for making the best one.
    >>
    >> The first year I tried this, I had Whole Food's deluxe one, which was
    >> nice. The second year, WF only had one offering, and all I could taste
    >> was the vanillin. I don't think this year's offering contains that, but I
    >> wanted to try the best one I could find.
    >> --
    >> Jean B.

    >
    > If you buy one made in Italy, it by law will have no fake ingredients. The
    > recipe for panettone is protected. That said, they do vary an awful lot!
    > One friend like this one, the other likes that one. Eh.
    > Most Italians agree that if you can afford it, the product of a fine local
    > bakery is probably always better than anything that comes in a printed box.
    >
    > You can make it yourself, but the secret is the extremely long rise and
    > that's not easy to accomplish. People who do them homemade also buy those
    > paper cases in which they are baked.
    >
    > Sheldon has mixed up panettone with pandoro which has a fancy shape.
    > Pandoro is less a bread and more a cake and loaded with butter-- always real
    > by law.
    >
    >

    Heh! I haven't made yeast breads for decades, so it is even less
    likely that I might attempt this at home. It just occurred to me
    that I don't even know what might be considered good or wonderful
    by those in the know.

    My daughter and I both like this one though. I did a bit of
    searching and saw folks also seem to like ones from
    Williams-Sonoma (which they may not have offered this year?) and
    even Costco!

    --
    Jean B.

  10. #10
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    ravenlynne wrote:
    > I pass the pandoro by..don't like it. We have a Sapori Panettone
    > Classico on our counter...I make a trifle that DH likes with part of it.


    How is that brand? I guess, especially if one is looking locally,
    that it becomes a function of what one can find.

    --
    Jean B.

  11. #11
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    Vilco wrote:
    > Giusi wrote
    >
    >>> made by Perbellini.

    >
    >> If you buy one made in Italy, it by law will have no fake
    >> ingredients. The recipe for panettone is protected. That said,

    > they
    >> do vary an awful lot! One friend like this one, the other likes that
    >> one. Eh.
    >> Most Italians agree that if you can afford it, the product of a fine
    >> local bakery is probably always better than anything that comes in a
    >> printed box.

    >
    > Yes, but... she wrote "Perbellini". That's one helluva bakery, the
    > attached restaurant is one of the only three italian restaurants who
    > havescore almost every year the three stars on the michelin guide. I
    > knopw many people have different opinions on guides, but it was just
    > to give an idea of what level Perbellini has reached. His Panettone
    > and Offella, a similar local cake, are between the best one can find
    > around, both in printed boxes and in local bakeries.
    > I think Jean has tried one of the best ones, it would be hard to find
    > soemthing better also here in Italy.


    Thanks. That is good to know--and helps me to understand what
    Panettone should be like. I now feel fortunate to have found this
    in a local gourmet shop. Given its other offerings, I suspected
    this one was supposed to be very good, but my knowledge base is so
    small. I only discovered panettone three years ago!

    There was another offering by the Perbellini. Maybe I should go
    back and see whether it is still there!!!!

    --
    Jean B.

  12. #12
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    Giusi wrote:
    > "Vilco" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Giusi wrote
    >>
    >>>> made by Perbellini.
    >>> If you buy one made in Italy, it by law will have no fake
    >>> ingredients. The recipe for panettone is protected. That said,

    >> they>> do vary an awful lot!

    >
    >> Yes, but... she wrote "Perbellini". That's one helluva bakery, the
    >> attached restaurant is one of the only three italian restaurants who
    >> havescore almost every year the three stars on the michelin guide.

    >
    > snippage
    >
    > His Panettone> and Offella, a similar local cake, are between the best one
    > can find> around, both in printed boxes and in local bakeries.
    >> I think Jean has tried one of the best ones, it would be hard to find
    >> soemthing better also here in Italy.
    >> --
    >> Vilco

    >
    > I completely retire behind your much better acquaintance with the two
    > holiday sweets! I can count on two hands the ones I have tried personally.
    > I haven't the hollow leg that seems to allow Italians to eat these
    > confections daily for a month!
    >
    > I did watch some years back a docum,entary on the process in which it was
    > stated that there is an official recipe and no fake ingredients allowed. It
    > was a very interesting show, too.
    >
    > Have you ever seen a fluted Panettone? I have never.
    >
    >

    This one isn't fluted. Given your comment, you might understand
    why I said that I am now sick of food. Good time to start
    dieting--although I still need to get past New Year's Eve!

    --
    Jean B.

  13. #13
    ravenlynne Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    Jean B. wrote:
    > ravenlynne wrote:
    >> I pass the pandoro by..don't like it. We have a Sapori Panettone
    >> Classico on our counter...I make a trifle that DH likes with part of it.

    >
    > How is that brand? I guess, especially if one is looking locally, that
    > it becomes a function of what one can find.
    >


    It's pretty good...i'm not a huge fan of any panettone...my dh likes
    it..it's not local to naples, it's from Siena..

  14. #14
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    ravenlynne wrote:
    > Jean B. wrote:
    >> ravenlynne wrote:
    >>> I pass the pandoro by..don't like it. We have a Sapori Panettone
    >>> Classico on our counter...I make a trifle that DH likes with part of it.

    >>
    >> How is that brand? I guess, especially if one is looking locally,
    >> that it becomes a function of what one can find.
    >>

    >
    > It's pretty good...i'm not a huge fan of any panettone...my dh likes
    > it..it's not local to naples, it's from Siena..


    My curiosity is mounting. I might get one of the tiny ones from
    Whole Foods. Interestingly, last year, I saw them shedding their
    Christmassy packaging and being sold for other occasions for quite
    a while. I should take a peek at the original expiration dates!

    --
    Jean B.

  15. #15
    Boron Elgar Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:34:14 +0100, ravenlynne
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jean B. wrote:
    >> ravenlynne wrote:
    >>> I pass the pandoro by..don't like it. We have a Sapori Panettone
    >>> Classico on our counter...I make a trifle that DH likes with part of it.

    >>
    >> How is that brand? I guess, especially if one is looking locally, that
    >> it becomes a function of what one can find.
    >>

    >
    >It's pretty good...i'm not a huge fan of any panettone...my dh likes
    >it..it's not local to naples, it's from Siena..



    I made panforte a couple of days ago. It was the first time I tried it
    and it is pretty good, if I do say so myself.

    I've half a panettone I made in the freezer, but it is the adapted KA
    recipe, not quite traditional.

    Boron

  16. #16
    Lass Chance_2 Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    A few years ago, somebody gave me one that had chocolate swirled thru
    it. I dont remember who made it, tho.

    I love to slice and toast Panitone.
    One of the TV chefs made a bread pudding with it...sounds wonderful.

    Lass


  17. #17
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: Best Panettone?

    Lass Chance_2 wrote:
    > A few years ago, somebody gave me one that had chocolate swirled thru
    > it. I dont remember who made it, tho.
    >
    > I love to slice and toast Panitone.
    > One of the TV chefs made a bread pudding with it...sounds wonderful.
    >
    > Lass
    >


    Chocolate? Swoon. I am thinking I might freeze the rest of this,
    since I need to stop eating such things for at least a while and
    preferably more than a while.

    --
    Jean B.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32