Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Best food processor

  1. #1
    notbob Guest

    Default Best food processor

    I'm in the market. I gave my ancient 1st gen Cuisinart to my daughter
    when I moved. Didn't do as much real cooking as I thought, so never used
    it much. Now, I plan on doing more and know how much an FP can save time
    and effort, not to mention provide results even the best chefs knife
    cannot (screw off, shel! .

    While Cuisinart no longer has a lifetime warranty on the motor, it's
    down to 10 yrs, which is still better than most. I'd also like to
    know which model has the best prices per size for attachments. The
    older one I had was a 10 cup and was apperently a freak model.
    Replacement parts were insanely expensive or non-existent. What's a
    good Cuizzy model with good parts availability?

    I don't need it for making bread, having a perfectly good orbital
    mixer for that. Also, must have a non-safety commercial style top
    available as an option. I hate chiclet buttons, but understand their
    advantage, so will accept. Must have full on AND pulse functions.
    Actually, a simple on/off switch will do.

    nb

  2. #2
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On Sep 27, 2:59*pm, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
    > I'm in the market. *I gave my ancient 1st gen Cuisinart to my daughter
    > when I moved. *Didn't do as much real cooking as I thought, so never used
    > it much. *Now, I plan on doing more and know how much an FP can save time
    > and effort, not to mention provide results even the best chefs knife
    > cannot (screw off, shel! . *
    >
    > While Cuisinart no longer has a lifetime warranty on the motor, it's
    > down to 10 yrs, which is still better than most. *I'd also like to
    > know which model has the best prices per size for attachments. *The
    > older one I had was a 10 cup and was apperently a freak model.
    > Replacement parts were insanely expensive or non-existent. *What's a
    > good Cuizzy model with good parts availability?
    >
    > I don't need it for making bread, having a perfectly good orbital
    > mixer for that. *Also, must have a non-safety commercial style top
    > available as an option. *I hate chiclet buttons, but understand their
    > advantage, so will accept. *Must have full on AND pulse functions.
    > Actually, a simple on/off switch will do.
    >
    > nb *


    I have the plain vanilla one like this and it works perfectly for
    anything I need.
    I don't think you need all the bells and whistles either. Check the
    specs.

    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFQQ8wIwAg#

  3. #3
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 21:59:54 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..
    >While Cuisinart no longer has a lifetime warranty on the motor, it's
    >down to 10 yrs, which is still better than most. I'd also like to
    >know which model has the best prices per size for attachments. The
    >older one I had was a 10 cup and was apperently a freak model.
    >Replacement parts were insanely expensive or non-existent. What's a
    >good Cuizzy model with good parts availability?

    I don't know what the current models are, but there is a fantastic
    place to get replacement parts. I am talking about the place that
    used to be called Culinary Parts Unlimited. It is now known as The
    Gourmet Depot.
    http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/store/

    I have a 20 + year old DLC-7 SuperPro Cusinart. The bowl finally gave
    up the ghost last year. I got replacement bowls and the tops with
    both the flat top and the regular feeder chute...plus a new blade for
    it. The service was terrific, and they have all the parts I need,
    and more..

    I do hear that Cuisinart now has a setup sort of like the KA models,
    with the smaller insert bowls. I think if I were getting one these
    days, I might go for that. But I have no experience with their newer
    models.
    >
    >I don't need it for making bread, having a perfectly good orbital
    >mixer for that. Also, must have a non-safety commercial style top
    >available as an option. I hate chiclet buttons, but understand their
    >advantage, so will accept. Must have full on AND pulse functions.
    >Actually, a simple on/off switch will do.


    Maybe someone else knows about the various features of the newer
    models. My old one is still going strong, with the motor that has a
    lifetime warranty. I did eventually get a KA Pro Line food
    processor, with the nesting bowls.. I take that one traveling with me.
    It works well, but I can understand you wanting a Cuisinart.

    Christine
    ..
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  4. #4
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On 2010-09-27, ImStillMags <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > I have the plain vanilla one like this and it works perfectly for
    > anything I need.


    It looks suspiciously like the one I gave my daughter. Even the size
    sounds more like what I really had. Problem was, since it was a
    unusually smaller size, prices on replacement parts were insane. A
    new replacement bowl cost more than the original unit. Shredding
    blades were no longer even available (I needed the coarse one).

    nb

  5. #5
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On 2010-09-27, Christine Dabney <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a 20 + year old DLC-7 SuperPro Cusinart.


    See my reply to Imstillmags.

    I may jes buy back my old one from my daughter!

    nb

  6. #6
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:37:32 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2010-09-27, ImStillMags <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> I have the plain vanilla one like this and it works perfectly for
    >> anything I need.

    >
    >It looks suspiciously like the one I gave my daughter. Even the size
    >sounds more like what I really had. Problem was, since it was a
    >unusually smaller size, prices on replacement parts were insane. A
    >new replacement bowl cost more than the original unit. Shredding
    >blades were no longer even available (I needed the coarse one).
    >


    Did you check the site I mentioned, for replacement parts?

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Wayne Boatwright Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On Mon 27 Sep 2010 02:59:54p, notbob told us...

    > I'm in the market. I gave my ancient 1st gen Cuisinart to my
    > daughter when I moved. Didn't do as much real cooking as I
    > thought, so never used it much. Now, I plan on doing more and
    > know how much an FP can save time and effort, not to mention
    > provide results even the best chefs knife cannot (screw off, shel!
    > .
    >
    > While Cuisinart no longer has a lifetime warranty on the motor,
    > it's down to 10 yrs, which is still better than most. I'd also
    > like to know which model has the best prices per size for
    > attachments. The older one I had was a 10 cup and was apperently
    > a freak model. Replacement parts were insanely expensive or
    > non-existent. What's a good Cuizzy model with good parts
    > availability?
    >
    > I don't need it for making bread, having a perfectly good orbital
    > mixer for that. Also, must have a non-safety commercial style top
    > available as an option. I hate chiclet buttons, but understand
    > their advantage, so will accept. Must have full on AND pulse
    > functions. Actually, a simple on/off switch will do.
    >
    > nb


    I have the precursor to this model:

    http://www.cuisinart.com/products/fo...dfp-14bcn.html

    It has many blade options and accessorires, and also has a lid
    available with no chute. However, all the models I know of have the
    safety switch mechanism built into the bowl. I think you'd have to
    buy a commercial model to get one that doesn't. You might look at
    Robo-Coupé, which was the original manufacturer of the Cuisinart.
    They still make commercial models, but are rather pricey.

    Replacement parts are certainly available, but no matter what
    "discount" price you find, they're still not cheap.

    --

    ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

    ~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

    ************************************************** ********

    Wayne Boatwright


  8. #8
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On 2010-09-27, Christine Dabney <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Did you check the site I mentioned, for replacement parts?


    jes did. looks good. thanks

    nb

  9. #9
    Charlotte L. Blackmer Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Christine Dabney <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:37:32 GMT, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2010-09-27, ImStillMags <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have the plain vanilla one like this and it works perfectly for
    >>> anything I need.

    >>
    >>It looks suspiciously like the one I gave my daughter. Even the size
    >>sounds more like what I really had. Problem was, since it was a
    >>unusually smaller size, prices on replacement parts were insane. A
    >>new replacement bowl cost more than the original unit. Shredding
    >>blades were no longer even available (I needed the coarse one).
    >>

    >
    >Did you check the site I mentioned, for replacement parts?


    Sorry, I missed that. I need a new bowl for my Kitchenaid Duo. Could you
    send or repost the link?

    Charlotte
    --

  10. #10
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:ut8oo.17074$[email protected]..
    > I'm in the market. I gave my ancient 1st gen Cuisinart to my daughter
    > when I moved. Didn't do as much real cooking as I thought, so never used
    > it much. Now, I plan on doing more and know how much an FP can save time
    > and effort, not to mention provide results even the best chefs knife
    > cannot (screw off, shel! .
    >
    > While Cuisinart no longer has a lifetime warranty on the motor, it's
    > down to 10 yrs, which is still better than most. I'd also like to
    > know which model has the best prices per size for attachments. The
    > older one I had was a 10 cup and was apperently a freak model.
    > Replacement parts were insanely expensive or non-existent. What's a
    > good Cuizzy model with good parts availability?
    >
    > I don't need it for making bread, having a perfectly good orbital
    > mixer for that. Also, must have a non-safety commercial style top
    > available as an option. I hate chiclet buttons, but understand their
    > advantage, so will accept. Must have full on AND pulse functions.
    > Actually, a simple on/off switch will do.
    >
    > nb



    I am still pissed at Cusinart for not backing their product - On my 11 cup
    processor the plastic shaft that covers the motor shaft split in 2. - their
    answer, "buy a new one your model is too old." So much for the motor
    lifetime guarantee.

    I guess the logic is the shaft is not part of the motor.

    Now I sit with a bunch of useless blades.

    Dimitri


  11. #11
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On 2010-09-28, Dimitri <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am still pissed at Cusinart for not backing their product - On my 11 cup
    > processor the plastic shaft that covers the motor shaft split in 2. - their
    > answer, "buy a new one your model is too old." So much for the motor
    > lifetime guarantee.
    >
    > I guess the logic is the shaft is not part of the motor.
    >
    > Now I sit with a bunch of useless blades.


    Isn't it infuriating?

    I'm not surprised. The last resto I worked in had a $500-700 Robot
    Coupe commercial immersion blender. You'd think it would be bullet
    proof at that price. Nope!! Plastic handle broke when dropped and
    warranty didn't cover it. The damn thing hadda be patched with duct
    tape.

    nb

  12. #12
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On Sep 27, 5:08*pm, "Dimitri" <Dimitr...@prodigy.net> wrote:

    >
    > I am still pissed at Cusinart for not backing their product - On *my 11cup
    > processor the plastic shaft that covers the motor shaft split in 2. *- their
    > answer, "buy a new one your model is too old." So much for the motor
    > lifetime guarantee.
    >
    > *I guess the logic is the shaft is not part of the motor.
    >
    > Now I sit with a bunch of useless blades.
    >
    > Dimitri


    Dimitri....check out this company. I bet you can find it there.

    http://www.culinaryparts.com/culinaryparts.htm

  13. #13
    Christine Dabney Guest

  14. #14
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:43:52 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..
    >Dimitri....check out this company. I bet you can find it there.
    >
    >http://www.culinaryparts.com/culinaryparts.htm


    That's the place I posted the link to. It has merged with The Gourmet
    Depot now..and the newest link is:
    http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/store/

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  15. #15
    j h Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    Thanks (!!) for the link to a source for parts. My Cuisinart (1979) is
    working well but wear and tear has to catch up sometime. With this model
    each blade has its own shaft. Takes up more storage space but seems to
    be stronger. Also have a mini Cuisinart, maybe 10-15 years newer, which
    is terrific for mincing garlic and making salad dressings, crumbs and
    anything in really small batches. jan


  16. #16
    Giusi Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor


    "notbob" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > I gave my ancient 1st gen Cuisinart to my daughter> when I moved.


    Mine of the same generation is sitting in the garage wrapped up in a plastic
    bag. I need the feed tube that switches it on, and that part is available
    in the USA but not in Europe. Strangely, our generation of Cuisinart was
    manufactured in France. A lifetime guarantee on a motor is meaningless if
    you cannot turn it on.



  17. #17
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On 2010-09-28, Giusi <[email protected]> wrote:
    > in the USA but not in Europe. Strangely, our generation of Cuisinart was
    > manufactured in France.


    Perhaps mine is not 1st gen. My motor was made in Japan, but this
    back before Japan discovered, "Hai! ...clap sell jes rike gewd stuf!"

    nb

  18. #18
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:27:06 +0200, "Giusi" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >
    > "notbob" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > > I gave my ancient 1st gen Cuisinart to my daughter> when I moved.

    >
    > Mine of the same generation is sitting in the garage wrapped up in a plastic
    > bag. I need the feed tube that switches it on, and that part is available
    > in the USA but not in Europe. Strangely, our generation of Cuisinart was
    > manufactured in France. A lifetime guarantee on a motor is meaningless if
    > you cannot turn it on.
    >


    DLC 8? My first one was French made too and I loved it until it
    virtually fell apart... but the motor was still going strong. I wish
    more things were built to last as long as that Cuisinart did. I also
    wish I could find a domed top for dough (like I had on that one) for
    the current models.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

  19. #19
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:08:54 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:ut8oo.17074$[email protected]..
    >> I'm in the market. I gave my ancient 1st gen Cuisinart to my daughter
    >> when I moved. Didn't do as much real cooking as I thought, so never used
    >> it much. Now, I plan on doing more and know how much an FP can save time
    >> and effort, not to mention provide results even the best chefs knife
    >> cannot (screw off, shel! .
    >>
    >> While Cuisinart no longer has a lifetime warranty on the motor, it's
    >> down to 10 yrs, which is still better than most. I'd also like to
    >> know which model has the best prices per size for attachments. The
    >> older one I had was a 10 cup and was apperently a freak model.
    >> Replacement parts were insanely expensive or non-existent. What's a
    >> good Cuizzy model with good parts availability?
    >>
    >> I don't need it for making bread, having a perfectly good orbital
    >> mixer for that. Also, must have a non-safety commercial style top
    >> available as an option. I hate chiclet buttons, but understand their
    >> advantage, so will accept. Must have full on AND pulse functions.
    >> Actually, a simple on/off switch will do.
    >>
    >> nb

    >
    >
    >I am still pissed at Cusinart for not backing their product - On my 11 cup
    >processor the plastic shaft that covers the motor shaft split in 2. - their
    >answer, "buy a new one your model is too old." So much for the motor
    >lifetime guarantee.
    >
    > I guess the logic is the shaft is not part of the motor.
    >
    >Now I sit with a bunch of useless blades.
    >
    >Dimitri


    Better to treat yourself to a nice new chefs knife, a blade that will
    never go out of style.

    The ONLY purpose for a home style food processor it to occupy space on
    a kitchen counter so that all who see it will be impressed with it's
    shineyness, that its color matches your curtains, and think you really
    know how to cook... NOT! So many people's thinking is that nobody
    knew how to prepare food before electricity and foodtv. LOL-LOL
    Chinese cooking requires probably more knife work than all other
    cusines combined yet I've never seen a food processor in a Chinese
    restaurant kitchen, and I've viewed a lot of them. Home style food
    processors do only one thing well, they turn perfectly good food into
    hog slop. Commercial food processors are amazing but no home cook
    needs to produce slaw by the ton, no restaurant either... if you
    needed a concrete driveway you wouldn't buy a cement truck.

  20. #20
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Best food processor

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:08:54 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I am still pissed at Cusinart for not backing their product - On my 11 cup
    > processor the plastic shaft that covers the motor shaft split in 2. - their
    > answer, "buy a new one your model is too old." So much for the motor
    > lifetime guarantee.
    >
    > I guess the logic is the shaft is not part of the motor.
    >
    > Now I sit with a bunch of useless blades.


    That's *exactly* what happened to my DLC 8. It had a long and useful
    life, but the plastic housing over the shaft came off completely. I
    didn't mind buying a new model, because I needed a larger capacity
    anyway and what I bought came with all the disks I would ever use
    (plus a mini-Cuisinart, which I gave away as a bridal shower gift).
    But I have never been able to replace the domed lid and no matter how
    large a replacement bowl I get, I'll always be looking for one of
    those.

    --

    Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32