Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 117

Thread: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

  1. #41
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    In article <i0518l$og8$[email protected]>,
    "James Silverton" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > the fridge. I have found that a jar of sauce can be frozen and (gently)
    > softened in the microwave, so that I can remove enough to heat up.


    Can you pour it into a freezer-weight Ziploc-type bag? Frozen flat, it
    might fit your space better. OTOH, if it's only in there for a week or
    three, maybe that doesn't matter.


    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    On June 25, celebrating 65 years of joy and wonder. I got the joy
    while everyone else wondered.
    Shop early and shop often. Good gin and cheap chocolate preferred.
    Or cash. :-)

  2. #42
    Melba's Jammin' Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    In article <i0556c$pkc$[email protected]>,
    "Jinx Minx" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > to waste problem. I think switching to freezing sauce has been my single
    > most effective kitchen saver in terms of time, prep, cupboard space and
    > always having something good on hand for days with chaotic schedules or
    > impromptu guests.
    >
    > Jinx


    Amen!


    --
    Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
    On June 25, celebrating 65 years of joy and wonder. I got the joy
    while everyone else wondered.
    Shop early and shop often. Good gin and cheap chocolate preferred.
    Or cash. :-)

  3. #43
    Jinx Minx Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces


    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:04:12 -0500, "Jinx Minx" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:03:01 -0500, "Jinx Minx" <[email protected]>
    >> > wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> I think switching to freezing sauce has been my single
    >> >> most effective kitchen saver in terms of time, prep, cupboard space
    >> >> and
    >> >> always having something good on hand for days with chaotic schedules
    >> >> or
    >> >> impromptu guests.
    >> >
    >> > Do you have a stand alone freezer or just the one that came with your
    >> > refrigerator.
    >> >

    >>
    >>
    >> Just the one in the refrigerator, but I've cotemplated buying a smaller
    >> standalone. I've really switched how I do things over the past few
    >> years,
    >> though, so I'm not sure an additional freezer is essential at this point.
    >>

    > I didn't replace my stand alone freezer when it died of old age. The
    > refrigerator freezer only concept keeps me from over buying, but it
    > also keeps me from making the large quantities of stock that I used to
    > make. I make tomato sauce on an as needed basis and not in mass
    > quantities, but I sure miss all the stock I used to have. It was
    > really nice to be able to just thaw out a quart to make a rich soup on
    > the spur of the moment. I've let strawberry season pretty much run
    > it's course and haven't made any freezer jam either.
    >
    > --
    > Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.


    Same here. I used to stock up on meat when it was on sale, only to end up
    throwing half of it out because it'd get too old or freezerburnt before I'd
    use it up. I really wasn't a good meal pre-planner, so I'd find that I'd
    end up going to buy fresh meat at the last minute instead of thawing out
    something I had frozen. I also cut back/stopped buying pre-packaged frozen
    things mostly because I was always disappointed in them. It just wasn't
    worth it to devote any more space (or money) to them. So now I have a ton
    more space to devote to freezing things I actually will use often, like
    spaghetti sauce. My stocks I still make fresh. Honestly I've never really
    given much thought of making them to freeze for later, but I might have to
    try that soon. In fact, making chicken stock is on the agenda for this
    afternoon for my mom's chicken noodle soup I haven't made in awhile
    (assuming I'll be able to find the right noodles at the store). It's
    generally a winter thing, but with all the storms we've had lately and more
    predicted for this evening, I'm in the mood for it.

    Jinx



  4. #44
    J. Clarke Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On 6/26/2010 10:01 AM, James Silverton wrote:
    > Melba's wrote on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:16:20 -0500:
    >
    >>> They come in cans, not jars. Del Monte and Hunts, to be
    >>> specific, and they only cost $.99 - $1.32 for a 24oz (26?)
    >>> can.

    >
    >> I think Cook's Illustrated came to the Hunt's conclusion
    >> several years ago. I try to keep a couple cans at hand in
    >> case I need to stretch my homemade stuff. It's hard to beat
    >> the price, that's for sure.

    >
    > I rather like Trader Joe's various varieties if I can't raise the very
    > small amount of energy to make Marinara sauce. The only problem is that
    > I often cook for myself and bottled sauces tend to develop mold even in
    > the fridge. I have found that a jar of sauce can be frozen and (gently)
    > softened in the microwave, so that I can remove enough to heat up.


    Have you tried freezing it in an ice cube tray then dumping out and
    bagging the cubes? Can give you easier portion control.



  5. #45
    Sqwertz Guest

  6. #46
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:57:11 -0400, brooklyn1 wrote:

    > Sqwertz wrote:
    >> They come in cans, not jars. Del Monte and Hunts, to be specific,
    >> and they only cost $.99 - $1.32 for a 24oz (26?) can.

    >
    > Those are crap. And price has nothing to do with it, ALL
    > jarred/canned pasta sauces are crap.


    How do you feel about canned meat?

    -sw

  7. #47
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:01:57 -0400, "James Silverton"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I rather like Trader Joe's various varieties if I can't raise the very
    >small amount of energy to make Marinara sauce.


    I think the make a decent marinara sauce, for when you are in a pinch.
    I usually like to keep one on hand for those times.

    Christine
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  8. #48
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:49:52 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <i0518l$og8$[email protected]>,
    > "James Silverton" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> the fridge. I have found that a jar of sauce can be frozen and (gently)
    >> softened in the microwave, so that I can remove enough to heat up.

    >
    >Can you pour it into a freezer-weight Ziploc-type bag? Frozen flat, it
    >might fit your space better. OTOH, if it's only in there for a week or
    >three, maybe that doesn't matter.


    I would think that would work well.

    For those that complain that they don't have freezer space for stock,
    it is really easy to reduce it down and freeze it in muffin cups, or
    in ice cube trays. Doesn't take up much room at all...and you can
    have fresh stock on tap...

    Christine
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  9. #49
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:53:40 -0500, "Jinx Minx" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > In fact, making chicken stock is on the agenda for this
    > afternoon for my mom's chicken noodle soup I haven't made in awhile
    > (assuming I'll be able to find the right noodles at the store). It's
    > generally a winter thing, but with all the storms we've had lately and more
    > predicted for this evening, I'm in the mood for it.


    I can sympathize, we've had unusually cool weather for this time of
    year so I've been making Fall/Winter dishes too.

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  10. #50
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:57:38 -0600, Pennyaline wrote:

    > On 6/26/2010 05:29, Food SnobŪ wrote:
    >> There's nothing
    >> particularly wrong with Del Monte and Hunts though.

    >
    > Except the sodium content, which is astronomical.


    I just picked one Hunts (garlic and onion) and one Ragu (Old World
    Traditional). Hunts came in 10% lower.

    Or was that your general Bobo imitation?

    -sw

  11. #51
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:53:40 -0500, Becca wrote:

    > When Consumer Reports tested jarred sauces, Preggo was their top pic,
    > but their "value" choice was Hunt's.


    My faith in CR just dropped 20 points. They are not culinary
    experts at all. They should stick to gizmos that can be measured
    scientifically.

    -sw

  12. #52
    Pete C. Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces


    "J. Clarke" wrote:
    >
    > On 6/26/2010 10:01 AM, James Silverton wrote:
    > > Melba's wrote on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:16:20 -0500:
    > >
    > >>> They come in cans, not jars. Del Monte and Hunts, to be
    > >>> specific, and they only cost $.99 - $1.32 for a 24oz (26?)
    > >>> can.

    > >
    > >> I think Cook's Illustrated came to the Hunt's conclusion
    > >> several years ago. I try to keep a couple cans at hand in
    > >> case I need to stretch my homemade stuff. It's hard to beat
    > >> the price, that's for sure.

    > >
    > > I rather like Trader Joe's various varieties if I can't raise the very
    > > small amount of energy to make Marinara sauce. The only problem is that
    > > I often cook for myself and bottled sauces tend to develop mold even in
    > > the fridge. I have found that a jar of sauce can be frozen and (gently)
    > > softened in the microwave, so that I can remove enough to heat up.

    >
    > Have you tried freezing it in an ice cube tray then dumping out and
    > bagging the cubes? Can give you easier portion control.


    Ice cube trays are a bit small for freezing something like spaghetti
    sauce. The semi-disposable plastic containers are available in sizes in
    the 1-2 cup range and are probably a better choice.

  13. #53
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    J. wrote on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:54:12 -0400:

    > On 6/26/2010 10:01 AM, James Silverton wrote:
    >> Melba's wrote on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:16:20 -0500:
    >>
    >>>> They come in cans, not jars. Del Monte and Hunts, to be
    >>>> specific, and they only cost $.99 - $1.32 for a 24oz (26?)
    >>>> can.

    >>
    >>> I think Cook's Illustrated came to the Hunt's conclusion
    >>> several years ago. I try to keep a couple cans at hand in
    >>> case I need to stretch my homemade stuff. It's hard to beat
    >>> the price, that's for sure.

    >>
    >> I rather like Trader Joe's various varieties if I can't raise
    >> the very small amount of energy to make Marinara sauce. The
    >> only problem is that I often cook for myself and bottled
    >> sauces tend to develop mold even in the fridge. I have found that a
    >> jar of sauce can be frozen and (gently) softened in
    >> the microwave, so that I can remove enough to heat up.


    Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I'm sure I saw some extra cube
    trays recently.

    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  14. #54
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:53:40 -0500, Becca wrote:

    > On 6/26/2010 8:16 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >> I think Cook's Illustrated came to the Hunt's conclusion several years
    >> ago. I try to keep a couple cans at hand in case I need to stretch my
    >> homemade stuff. It's hard to beat the price, that's for sure.
    >>

    >
    > When Consumer Reports tested jarred sauces, Preggo was their top pic,
    > but their "value" choice was Hunt's.


    I suspected something might be wrong here, and this drastically
    contradicts that. Rago and Prego didn't even place in the top
    three categories according to this info:

    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/289165

    -sw

  15. #55
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:41:48 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

    > I'll have to try them at some point. Personally I've found the Classico
    > line of jar sauces to be quite good.


    I buy their non-tomato sauces sometimes. But I like the
    simplicity of the Hunts and Del Monte. There wqas something about
    one of the Calssico tomato sauces like (tasted burned, or too
    chunky, or something)

    -sw

  16. #56
    Jinx Minx Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces


    "Pete C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4c263e2a$0$11503$[email protected] ster.com...
    >
    > "J. Clarke" wrote:
    >>
    >> On 6/26/2010 10:01 AM, James Silverton wrote:
    >> > Melba's wrote on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:16:20 -0500:
    >> >
    >> >>> They come in cans, not jars. Del Monte and Hunts, to be
    >> >>> specific, and they only cost $.99 - $1.32 for a 24oz (26?)
    >> >>> can.
    >> >
    >> >> I think Cook's Illustrated came to the Hunt's conclusion
    >> >> several years ago. I try to keep a couple cans at hand in
    >> >> case I need to stretch my homemade stuff. It's hard to beat
    >> >> the price, that's for sure.
    >> >
    >> > I rather like Trader Joe's various varieties if I can't raise the very
    >> > small amount of energy to make Marinara sauce. The only problem is that
    >> > I often cook for myself and bottled sauces tend to develop mold even in
    >> > the fridge. I have found that a jar of sauce can be frozen and (gently)
    >> > softened in the microwave, so that I can remove enough to heat up.

    >>
    >> Have you tried freezing it in an ice cube tray then dumping out and
    >> bagging the cubes? Can give you easier portion control.

    >
    > Ice cube trays are a bit small for freezing something like spaghetti
    > sauce. The semi-disposable plastic containers are available in sizes in
    > the 1-2 cup range and are probably a better choice.


    Seriously, quart sized freezer ziplocs work the best. Lay them flat to
    freeze and then you can stick them in small cracks between other frozen
    items. Laying them flat to freeze was the best tip I ever picked up
    ere -- definitely one of those Duh Why Didn't I Think of That moments.

    Jinx



  17. #57
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:44:39 -0400, cshenk wrote:

    > I'm generally with Classico or Bertoli but there's another one (I'm out now
    > and forgot the name) from BJ's that I get when I see it. Less known name
    > brand but good taste and lower sodium.


    The Mezetta Napa Bistro line is sold at CostCo, maybe BJ's too.
    It's great stuff.

    -sw

  18. #58
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    "Sqwertz" wrote
    > Pennyaline wrote:


    >> Except the sodium content, which is astronomical.


    > I just picked one Hunts (garlic and onion) and one Ragu (Old World
    > Traditional). Hunts came in 10% lower.


    Both are still too high for my husband's needs. When I do a real pot (as
    opposed to a fast fix) I use red-gold tomatoes in a can or some of the other
    canned types that are low in sodium.


  19. #59
    cshenk Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    "Sqwertz" wrote
    > cshenk wrote:


    >> I'm generally with Classico or Bertoli but there's another one (I'm out
    >> now
    >> and forgot the name) from BJ's that I get when I see it. Less known name
    >> brand but good taste and lower sodium.


    > The Mezetta Napa Bistro line is sold at CostCo, maybe BJ's too.
    > It's great stuff.


    That does sound familiar. I don't BTW keep eveything low sodium. I just
    keep an eye on it and look for acceptable tasting lower items as a standard
    here. Don has salt reactive high blood pressure.


  20. #60
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Best Commercial Spaghetti Sauces

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:21:39 -0700, Christine Dabney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > For those that complain that they don't have freezer space for stock,
    > it is really easy to reduce it down and freeze it in muffin cups, or
    > in ice cube trays. Doesn't take up much room at all...and you can
    > have fresh stock on tap...


    Sounds like a ducky idea, but isn't. You need something flat to
    freeze those bags on and space to put it while you're freezing
    them.... unless you have all the space in the world and if you do, you
    don't need to use the bags.

    --
    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32