Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

  1. #1
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    One of my coworkers has a brother who is a cattle rancher in South Dakota.
    My coworker bought an entire slaughtered steer from him and drove all the
    meat back to California this last weekend. Sorting through the stuff, his
    wife told him that she refused to cook the heart, the tongue, and the liver,
    so he's giving it to me.

    I think I'll cut the heart into half-inch cubes and use it for my Super Bowl
    Sunday chili. I'll have to check out how much the liver weighs before I
    decide what to do with it, but the Bouchon recipe for liver with bacon,
    onions, and wine-poached figs looms large. That leaves the tongue.

    Last time I bought a beef tongue I simmered it, pulled off the skin and
    gristle, had some of it in sandwiches and the rest in a caldo. This time
    around I'd like to try something different. I plan to use some of the tongue
    to make tacos de lengua, but that'll probably only use about a third of the
    tongue. For some of the rest, I'm leaning toward a kind of ma po tofu
    preparation, with cubed beef tongue taking the place of the ground pork; I
    think the texture of the beef tongue might be interesting with the texture
    of the tofu. I'm also considering using some of it in a tagine -- Lin's just
    itching to take more tagine photos!

    Any favorite tongue recipes out there, or great ideas for beef liver which
    might supplant that Bouchon recipe?

    Bob


  2. #2
    ima@azzhol Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 03:10:14 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >One of my coworkers has a brother who is a cattle rancher in South Dakota.
    >My coworker bought an entire slaughtered steer from him and drove all the
    >meat back to California this last weekend. Sorting through the stuff, his
    >wife told him that she refused to cook the heart, the tongue, and the liver,
    >so he's giving it to me.
    >
    >I think I'll cut the heart into half-inch cubes and use it for my Super Bowl
    >Sunday chili. I'll have to check out how much the liver weighs before I
    >decide what to do with it, but the Bouchon recipe for liver with bacon,
    >onions, and wine-poached figs looms large. That leaves the tongue.
    >
    >Last time I bought a beef tongue I simmered it, pulled off the skin and
    >gristle, had some of it in sandwiches and the rest in a caldo. This time
    >around I'd like to try something different. I plan to use some of the tongue
    >to make tacos de lengua, but that'll probably only use about a third of the
    >tongue. For some of the rest, I'm leaning toward a kind of ma po tofu
    >preparation, with cubed beef tongue taking the place of the ground pork; I
    >think the texture of the beef tongue might be interesting with the texture
    >of the tofu. I'm also considering using some of it in a tagine -- Lin's just
    >itching to take more tagine photos!
    >
    >Any favorite tongue recipes out there, or great ideas for beef liver which
    >might supplant that Bouchon recipe?
    >
    >Bob


    Try smoking the tongue. Boil in a brine of spices to your liking then
    slow smoke it. Delicious!

  3. #3
    Bob Terwilliger Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    "ima" wrote:

    > Try smoking the tongue. Boil in a brine of spices to your liking then slow
    > smoke it. Delicious!


    That does sound pretty good. Once it's smoked, do you slice it and serve it
    hot? Are there any favorite condiments or other accompaniments? I want more
    than just sandwiches.

    Bob


  4. #4
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:14:33 -0800, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >"ima" wrote:
    >
    >> Try smoking the tongue. Boil in a brine of spices to your liking then slow
    >> smoke it. Delicious!

    >
    >That does sound pretty good. Once it's smoked, do you slice it and serve it
    >hot? Are there any favorite condiments or other accompaniments? I want more
    >than just sandwiches.
    >
    >Bob


    Here are some reposts from some time ago on the BBQ newsgroup and some
    links to check out. Have fun!

    Google results:
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...ed-tongue.html


    http://www.barbecuen.com/tongue.htm

    http://barbecuebob.podomatic.com/ent...21_50_10-07_00

    Repost of Graeme's Response from some time back:

    "My finest hour with the smoker happened earlier this year with an ox
    tongue. The tongue I smoked was just under 2 kilos in weight. As you
    indicated you have to get rid of the membrane. I assume you bought a
    fresh tongue (they are also sold salted in the UK).

    I boiled the tongue for 2 hours with a couple of onions. (Keep the
    stock. Excellent base for soup) Let it cool and chill. The membrane
    peels off easily. You can also trim the "root" if desired. Its a
    little fatty. The tongue is almost, but not quite cooked at this
    point.

    I smoked it at 235 degrees for 3 hours 45 minutes. I halved the tongue
    length ways prior to smoking as I thought it was too thick to smoke in
    one piece.

    I smoked it using oak chippings over lump. The bark was truly
    wonderful and the inner meat remained really moist. It also freezes
    well. Slice as thinly as possible. It should go a long way."

  5. #5
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    You lost me at "liver".

    Heart = muscle (meat)
    Tongue = muscle (meat)

    but liver = guts (gross!)

    John Kuthe...


  6. #6
    --Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Jan 7, 10:12*am, John Kuthe <johnku...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > You lost me at "liver".
    >
    > Heart = muscle (meat)
    > Tongue = muscle (meat)
    >
    > but liver = guts (gross!)


    Sounds offal to me too.
    >
    > John Kuthe...


    --Bryan

  7. #7
    jay Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    In article <00feda1d$0$6703$[email protected]>,
    "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > or great ideas for beef liver which
    > might supplant that Bouchon recipe?


    Fresh liver cooked over a wood or lump coal fire is very good.

    jay

  8. #8
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:50:30 -0600, jay wrote:

    > In article <00feda1d$0$6703$[email protected]>,
    > "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
    >
    >> or great ideas for beef liver which
    >> might supplant that Bouchon recipe?

    >
    > Fresh liver cooked over a wood or lump coal fire is very good.


    Only a moron like you would grill over lumps of coal.

    -sw

  9. #9
    --Bryan Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Jan 7, 11:29*am, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:50:30 -0600, jay wrote:
    > > In article <00feda1d$0$6703$c3e8...@news.astraweb.com>,
    > > *"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >
    > >> or great ideas for beef liver which
    > >> might supplant that Bouchon recipe?

    >
    > > Fresh liver cooked over a wood or lump coal fire is very good. *

    >
    > Only a moron like you would grill over lumps of coal.


    You think he got it in his Christmas stocking?
    >
    > -sw


    --Bryan

  10. #10
    aem Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Jan 7, 3:10 am, "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz>
    wrote:
    >
    > Any favorite tongue recipes out there, or great ideas for beef liver which
    > might supplant that Bouchon recipe?
    >

    I posted this pirated copy of Julia Child's tongue in madeira sauce in
    1999:

    Julia Child's "The French Chef" gives a recipe for braising it
    after you've boiled it. First boil it slowly, uncovered or
    partially covered, for 2 hours. Peel it, remove fat and little
    bones. Slice it as uniformly as possible about 3/8" thick. Then
    (or while tongue is simmering) make a sauce:

    Slowly cook 1/2 C. each, diced carrots, onions and celery in
    butter (or olive oil nowadays?), covered, ten minutes.

    Add 3 C. beef stock, 1 TB tomato paste, 1/2 tsp. thyme, 1 bay
    leaf, simmer 30 minutes, then remove from heat.

    Stir together 2 TB arrowroot and 1/4 C. dry Madeira (or dry
    sherry, but the Madeira is more special) and beat this mixture
    into the hot sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken the sauce.
    Taste for s & p (depending on your beef stock and tomato paste,
    it may not need salt.)

    Now arrange the sliced tongue in a heavy casserole or
    electric skillet, pour the sauce over, cover and simmer for 30 to
    40 minutes, or until tongue is tender enough to pierce with a
    fork.

    Serve with mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.

    It takes time, but not that much work, and the various stages
    can be done in advance and reheated. -aem


  11. #11
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Jan 7, 10:50*am, jay <u...@example.net> wrote:
    > In article <00feda1d$0$6703$c3e8...@news.astraweb.com>,
    > *"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
    >
    > > or great ideas for beef liver which
    > > might supplant that Bouchon recipe?

    >
    > Fresh liver cooked over a wood or lump coal fire is very good. *
    >
    > jay


    If you like eating the large organ that's the first toxin filtration
    site of all blood leaving the digestive system before it gets pumped
    to the rest of the body.

    Not me buddy! I took A&P I and II, Microbiology and Pathophysiology,
    and I know what the liver does!

    John Kuthe...


  12. #12
    Zeppo Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver



    "John Kuthe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > You lost me at "liver".
    >
    > Heart = muscle (meat)
    > Tongue = muscle (meat)
    >
    > but liver = guts (gross!)
    >
    > John Kuthe...


    He lost me at tongue. Heart and liver I can do, but tongue was one of the
    only foods from my childhood I could get used to eating. Just grossed me out
    too much.

    Jon


  13. #13
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Jan 7, 3:21*pm, "Zeppo" <ze...@hotmail.org> wrote:
    > "John Kuthe" <johnku...@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]..
    >
    > > You lost me at "liver".

    >
    > > Heart = muscle (meat)
    > > Tongue = muscle (meat)

    >
    > > but liver = guts (gross!)

    >
    > > John Kuthe...

    >
    > He lost me at tongue. Heart and liver I can do, but tongue was one of the
    > only foods from my childhood I could get used to eating. Just grossed me out
    > too much.


    Pure muscle tissue, no bones even!

    YUM to TONGUE!

    :-)

    John Kuthe...

  14. #14
    JonquilJan Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver



    "John Kuthe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    On Jan 7, 3:21 pm, "Zeppo" <ze...@hotmail.org> wrote:
    > "John Kuthe" <johnku...@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]..
    >
    > > You lost me at "liver".

    >
    > > Heart = muscle (meat)
    > > Tongue = muscle (meat)

    >
    > > but liver = guts (gross!)

    >
    > > John Kuthe...

    >
    > He lost me at tongue. Heart and liver I can do, but tongue was one of the
    > only foods from my childhood I could get used to eating. Just grossed me
    > out
    > too much.


    Pure muscle tissue, no bones even!

    YUM to TONGUE!

    :-)

    John Kuthe...

    YUM indeed. Haven't been able to get beef tongue for years. Closest I can
    get is tounge souse at the Amish foods store. Once, when I was getting
    some, a woman beside me said she couldn't imagine eating something that was
    in a cow's mouth. I though of asking her if she ate eggs - but I didn't.

    JonquilJan

    Learn something new every day
    As long as you are learning, you are living
    When you stop learning, you start dying



  15. #15
    Victor Sack Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    Bob Terwilliger <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > Any favorite tongue recipes out there


    There is a great recipe for red-braised tongue in Yan-kit So's
    _Classical Chinese Cookbook_. I have the German edition, but will
    translate the recipe back into English if you want.

    Also, here is a suggestion to prepare a Caucasian-style tongue from a
    Russian cookbook I have here: brown large slices of boiled or simmered
    tongue with onions, cover with two cups of broth or stock, place potato
    slices, as large as the tongue ones, on top and let braise for 30-40
    minutes. After 15-20 minutes, add 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1
    tablespoon of coriander leaves (cilantro), 3 minced garlic cloves, and 2
    tablespoons of crushed walnuts.

    Victor

  16. #16
    Doug Freyburger Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    >
    > One of my coworkers has a brother who is a cattle rancher in South Dakota.
    > My coworker bought an entire slaughtered steer from him and drove all the
    > meat back to California this last weekend. Sorting through the stuff, his
    > wife told him that she refused to cook the heart, the tongue, and the liver,
    > so he's giving it to me.


    Older relatives used to make wonderful pickled heart and tongue. Any
    deer killed while hunting the heart and tongue got pickled. The spice
    mixture in the pickling was the one from a "bread and butter pickle"
    recipe as far as I could tell.

    I like liver cooked various ways. Sliced very thin and sauteed with
    onions. Steamed to soften and mash into a pate'. Older relatives also
    used to get the livers from any deer killed while hunting to make liver
    dumplings for soup.

    German liver dumpling soup is pretty similar to Hispanic Albongidas soup
    except for the tomatoes.

  17. #17
    John Kane Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Jan 7, 6:10*am, "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz>
    wrote:
    > One of my coworkers has a brother who is a cattle rancher in South Dakota..
    > My coworker bought an entire slaughtered steer from him and drove all the
    > meat back to California this last weekend. Sorting through the stuff, his
    > wife told him that she refused to cook the heart, the tongue, and the liver,
    > so he's giving it to me.
    >
    > I think I'll cut the heart into half-inch cubes and use it for my Super Bowl Sunday chili.


    Ack what a waste!

    My family's tradition is to stuff it with a bread dressing as one
    would a chicken and roast/bake it. Very good albeit a bit rich.

    It tends to be fatty so must be served hot (very hot?) but it's
    delicious. It also makes not bad sandwiches the next day.

    Chili sounds like such a waste for a good heart.


    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

  18. #18
    John Kane Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Jan 7, 11:50*am, jay <u...@example.net> wrote:
    > In article <00feda1d$0$6703$c3e8...@news.astraweb.com>,
    > *"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
    >
    > > or great ideas for beef liver which
    > > might supplant that Bouchon recipe?

    >
    > Fresh liver cooked over a wood or lump coal fire is very good. *
    >
    > jay


    Heck, I can even recommend my local pub. Excellent liver, bacon and
    onions and gravy with mashed potatoes and peas.

    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

  19. #19
    John Kane Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    On Jan 7, 2:06*pm, John Kuthe <johnku...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Jan 7, 10:50*am, jay <u...@example.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <00feda1d$0$6703$c3e8...@news.astraweb.com>,
    > > *"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >
    > > > or great ideas for beef liver which
    > > > might supplant that Bouchon recipe?

    >
    > > Fresh liver cooked over a wood or lump coal fire is very good. *

    >
    > > jay

    >
    > If you like eating the large organ that's the first toxin filtration
    > site of all blood leaving the digestive system before it gets pumped
    > to the rest of the body.
    >
    > Not me buddy! I took A&P I and II, Microbiology and Pathophysiology,
    > and I know what the liver does!
    >
    > John Kuthe...


    Housemaid's knee?

    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

  20. #20
    Phred Guest

    Default Re: Beef Heart, Tongue, and Liver

    In article <1jbz3eh.1wpjqcb1vvmqauN%azazell[email protected]>, [email protected] (Victor Sack) wrote:
    >Bob Terwilliger <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:
    >
    >> Any favorite tongue recipes out there

    >
    >There is a great recipe for red-braised tongue in Yan-kit So's
    >_Classical Chinese Cookbook_. I have the German edition, but will
    >translate the recipe back into English if you want.


    G'day Victor,

    I just *knew* you would have some interesting ideas on this topic! :-)

    And I would be very interested to see the English translation of the
    Chinese recipe you mention if it doesn't put you to too much trouble.

    But what about the liver? I love lamb's fry and bacon (and no one
    does it as well as the dining car on Qld Rail did 50 years ago :-) but
    I've always been a bit put off by the sheer size of Ox liver for this
    combination.

    >Also, here is a suggestion to prepare a Caucasian-style tongue from a
    >Russian cookbook I have here: brown large slices of boiled or simmered
    >tongue with onions, cover with two cups of broth or stock, place potato
    >slices, as large as the tongue ones, on top and let braise for 30-40
    >minutes. After 15-20 minutes, add 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1
    >tablespoon of coriander leaves (cilantro), 3 minced garlic cloves, and 2
    >tablespoons of crushed walnuts.


    TIA and Happy New Year to you! Hope you're keeping warm.

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]D


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32