Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: anyone play this cooking game

  1. #1
    pamjd Guest

    Default anyone play this cooking game

    I ran accross this game on craigslist and was curious so I googled
    it. Seems it comes in 3 cusines. I thought I would check and see if
    anyone attened any such game. I think with the right people
    ( probably not invite hard core food snobs) but with some adult
    beverages it could be a hoot.
    http://www.funagain.com/control/prod...duct_id=000923 any
    experience????

  2. #2
    sf Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 04:17:57 -0700 (PDT), pamjd <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I ran accross this game on craigslist and was curious so I googled
    > it. Seems it comes in 3 cusines. I thought I would check and see if
    > anyone attened any such game. I think with the right people
    > ( probably not invite hard core food snobs) but with some adult
    > beverages it could be a hoot.
    > http://www.funagain.com/control/prod...duct_id=000923 any
    > experience????


    No and I don't know anyone who does things like that. The people I
    know may cook together in the kitchen, but they don't make a
    competition out of it. It doesn't sound like fun to me... but I don't
    like cooking competitions, I don't even enjoy watching them on TV.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  3. #3
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game


    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 04:17:57 -0700 (PDT), pamjd <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I ran accross this game on craigslist and was curious so I googled
    >> it. Seems it comes in 3 cusines. I thought I would check and see if
    >> anyone attened any such game. I think with the right people
    >> ( probably not invite hard core food snobs) but with some adult
    >> beverages it could be a hoot.
    >> http://www.funagain.com/control/prod...duct_id=000923 any
    >> experience????

    >
    > No and I don't know anyone who does things like that. The people I
    > know may cook together in the kitchen, but they don't make a
    > competition out of it. It doesn't sound like fun to me... but I don't
    > like cooking competitions, I don't even enjoy watching them on TV.
    >

    I don't like cooking competitions, either. I used to like watching Hell's
    Kitchen but that was years ago. I won't invite people into my house to
    cook. I don't care how many adult beverages they drink. I've been to some
    cookouts and that's fine. But turning it into a cooking game, nope.
    Teaming up to cook where *I* pay for all the ingredients is a no go.

    Jill


  4. #4
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 12:03:36 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

    > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 04:17:57 -0700 (PDT), pamjd <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I ran accross this game on craigslist and was curious so I googled
    >>> it. Seems it comes in 3 cusines. I thought I would check and see if
    >>> anyone attened any such game. I think with the right people
    >>> ( probably not invite hard core food snobs) but with some adult
    >>> beverages it could be a hoot.
    >>> http://www.funagain.com/control/prod...duct_id=000923 any
    >>> experience????

    >>
    >> No and I don't know anyone who does things like that. The people I
    >> know may cook together in the kitchen, but they don't make a
    >> competition out of it. It doesn't sound like fun to me... but I don't
    >> like cooking competitions, I don't even enjoy watching them on TV.
    >>

    > I don't like cooking competitions, either. I used to like watching Hell's
    > Kitchen but that was years ago. I won't invite people into my house to
    > cook. I don't care how many adult beverages they drink. I've been to some
    > cookouts and that's fine. But turning it into a cooking game, nope.
    > Teaming up to cook where *I* pay for all the ingredients is a no go.


    Talk about self-centered, sheesh.

    I don't see the game as practical unless you somebody distribute the
    ingredient more evenly. I see one team ending up with all the meat,
    another team ending up with all the veggies, and then another with all
    the spices/condiments.

    -sw

  5. #5
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    > I don't see the game as practical unless you somebody distribute the
    > ingredient more evenly. I see one team ending up with all the meat,
    > another team ending up with all the veggies, and then another with all
    > the spices/condiments.
    >
    > -sw


    This is exactly why I like the show "Chopped" on the Food Network. Each
    person gets the same exact ingredients to start with. That's the only way
    for a fair competition.

    And I find it interesting to see what they all do with the (usually) strange
    combination of 3-4 ingredients.

    G.

  6. #6
    Cheryl Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    On 7/3/2012 4:41 PM, Gary wrote:
    > Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't see the game as practical unless you somebody distribute the
    >> ingredient more evenly. I see one team ending up with all the meat,
    >> another team ending up with all the veggies, and then another with all
    >> the spices/condiments.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > This is exactly why I like the show "Chopped" on the Food Network. Each
    > person gets the same exact ingredients to start with. That's the only way
    > for a fair competition.
    >
    > And I find it interesting to see what they all do with the (usually) strange
    > combination of 3-4 ingredients.
    >


    I like the cooking competition shows. My whole family does. Not sure
    why, but we all love FN. My sister one day bragged about her cooking,
    then an hour or so later made some remark about knowing when her food
    was finished by when the smoke detector went off. Her kids agreed and
    added more comments. Lots of laughter about her cooking after that one.


  7. #7
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:lic4g8jun7m9$.[email protected]..
    > On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 12:03:36 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Teaming up to cook where *I* pay for all the ingredients is a no go.

    >
    > Talk about self-centered, sheesh.
    >

    There's nothing self-centered about it. If you want to use my kitchen, my
    pots and pans and utensils, the least you can do is chip in for some of the
    ingredients.

    > I don't see the game as practical unless you somebody distribute the
    > ingredient more evenly. I see one team ending up with all the meat,
    > another team ending up with all the veggies, and then another with all
    > the spices/condiments.
    >

    You're absolutely right, the distribution of ingredients is not practical.
    This game is described as being about cooking an "Oriental appetizer, entree
    and side dish". I, for one, don't really enjoy cooking Asian food. I do
    have a killer recipe for Thai steamed dumplings. The recipe is on the RFC
    web site but just for grins I'll post it again:

    Kahnom Jeep (Thai Dumplings)

    3 oz. flaked crabmeat
    6 oz ground pork
    6 large shrimp, minced*
    1 Tbsp water
    1/4 tsp garlic salt (I use minced garlic and add some salt to the mix)
    1-1/2 - 2-1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
    1 egg
    1-1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce
    1 Tbsp peanut oil
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 pkg wonton wrappers

    *Since I rarely just have 6 large shrimp lying around, I buy a bag of small
    frozen "salad shrimp" and measure out what I need... no need to mince those,
    either! Place shrimp, crabmeat and pork in mixing bowl. Blend in remaining
    ingredients except wonton wrappers and mix together until firm (add a little
    more cornstarch if mixture is too wet). Hold a wonton wrapper in one hand.
    Place 1 Tbsp filling in the center. Fold the corners in to meet in the
    middle, squeezing to close the top. Moisten fingers with water and gently
    seal (I noticed last night they look like small whole heads of garlic when
    done!). Place in a lightly oiled steamer basket. Steam (covered) over
    simmering water about 25 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce (below).

    Serves 4

    Dipping sauce (or use whatever you like):
    4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
    2 Tbsp hot water
    1 tsp sugar
    2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
    2 Tbsp thinly sliced ginger root

    Blend all ingredients together. Let sit at least 30 minutes. Use as a
    dipping sauce for dumplings.

    Jill


  8. #8
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 18:28:37 -0400, Cheryl <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 7/3/2012 4:41 PM, Gary wrote:
    >> Sqwertz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I don't see the game as practical unless you somebody distribute the
    >>> ingredient more evenly. I see one team ending up with all the meat,
    >>> another team ending up with all the veggies, and then another with all
    >>> the spices/condiments.
    >>>
    >>> -sw

    >>
    >> This is exactly why I like the show "Chopped" on the Food Network. Each
    >> person gets the same exact ingredients to start with. That's the only way
    >> for a fair competition.
    >>
    >> And I find it interesting to see what they all do with the (usually) strange
    >> combination of 3-4 ingredients.
    >>

    >
    >I like the cooking competition shows. My whole family does. Not sure
    >why, but we all love FN. My sister one day bragged about her cooking,
    >then an hour or so later made some remark about knowing when her food
    >was finished by when the smoke detector went off. Her kids agreed and
    >added more comments. Lots of laughter about her cooking after that one.


    I bet sis has a smoke detector in her bedroom... what're the comments
    when she sets that one off?

  9. #9
    Earl Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    jmcquown wrote:
    >
    > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 04:17:57 -0700 (PDT), pamjd <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I ran accross this game on craigslist and was curious so I googled
    >>> it. Seems it comes in 3 cusines. I thought I would check and see if
    >>> anyone attened any such game. I think with the right people
    >>> ( probably not invite hard core food snobs) but with some adult
    >>> beverages it could be a hoot.
    >>> http://www.funagain.com/control/prod...duct_id=000923 any
    >>> experience????

    >>
    >> No and I don't know anyone who does things like that. The people I
    >> know may cook together in the kitchen, but they don't make a
    >> competition out of it. It doesn't sound like fun to me... but I don't
    >> like cooking competitions, I don't even enjoy watching them on TV.
    >>

    > I don't like cooking competitions, either. I used to like watching
    > Hell's Kitchen but that was years ago. I won't invite people into my
    > house to cook. I don't care how many adult beverages they drink.
    > I've been to some cookouts and that's fine. But turning it into a
    > cooking game, nope. Teaming up to cook where *I* pay for all the
    > ingredients is a no go.
    >
    > Jill

    "I" 4
    "I've" 1
    "*I*"1
    "my" 1

    The score is 7 in the Jill loves herself too much game! What a narcissist!




  10. #10
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 19:03:54 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

    > "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:lic4g8jun7m9$.[email protected]..
    >> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 12:03:36 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >>> Teaming up to cook where *I* pay for all the ingredients is a no go.

    >>
    >> Talk about self-centered, sheesh.
    >>

    > There's nothing self-centered about it. If you want to use my kitchen, my
    > pots and pans and utensils, the least you can do is chip in for some of the
    > ingredients.


    It's a _dinner party_ game, ferchristsakes. Do you invite people to a
    dinner party and ask them to buy the food? Your obviously not the
    sociable type to hold a dinner party so none of this applied to you
    anyway.

    But there's also the 80% chance you are one of the invited guests and
    not the host. But you failed to take that into consideration when you
    assumed the burden was all about "me, me, me". The discussion is
    about the idea of game itself. Your greedily personalized it to
    nitpick about how *you* don't want to have to pay for ingredients.

    I repeat: Sheesh

    > You're absolutely right, the distribution of ingredients is not practical.
    > This game is described as being about cooking an "Oriental appetizer, entree
    > and side dish". I, for one, don't really enjoy cooking Asian food.


    And if you pulled your head out of you ass for just a second, you
    would have seen there are different cuisines available - it was
    mentioned in the original post.

    ObGame: It's interesting to note that the game is 16 years old -
    before most of the televised cooking competitions became the rage.
    But supposing you do find someplace to buy the game, keep in mind the
    instructions come on a cassette tape only.

    -sw

  11. #11
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game


    "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]..
    > Sqwertz wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't see the game as practical unless you somebody distribute the
    >> ingredient more evenly. I see one team ending up with all the meat,
    >> another team ending up with all the veggies, and then another with all
    >> the spices/condiments.
    >>
    >> -sw

    >
    > This is exactly why I like the show "Chopped" on the Food Network. Each
    > person gets the same exact ingredients to start with. That's the only way
    > for a fair competition.
    >
    > And I find it interesting to see what they all do with the (usually)
    > strange
    > combination of 3-4 ingredients.


    Yes in the beginning. But then they will do something unfair like leaving
    only enough eggs for one person.



  12. #12
    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 21:45:10 -0700, "Julie Bove"
    <[email protected]> wrote:


    >>
    >> This is exactly why I like the show "Chopped" on the Food Network. Each
    >> person gets the same exact ingredients to start with. That's the only way
    >> for a fair competition.
    >>
    >> And I find it interesting to see what they all do with the (usually)
    >> strange
    >> combination of 3-4 ingredients.

    >
    >Yes in the beginning. But then they will do something unfair like leaving
    >only enough eggs for one person.
    >


    Often, one of the contestants takes all of one ingredient as a
    strategic move. Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires.

  13. #13
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    jmcquown wrote:
    >
    > "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:lic4g8jun7m9$.[email protected]..
    >> On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 12:03:36 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >>> Teaming up to cook where *I* pay for all the ingredients is a no go.

    >>
    >> Talk about self-centered, sheesh.
    >>

    > There's nothing self-centered about it. If you want to use my kitchen,
    > my pots and pans and utensils, the least you can do is chip in for some
    > of the ingredients.
    >
    >> I don't see the game as practical unless you somebody distribute the
    >> ingredient more evenly. I see one team ending up with all the meat,
    >> another team ending up with all the veggies, and then another with all
    >> the spices/condiments.
    >>

    > You're absolutely right, the distribution of ingredients is not
    > practical. This game is described as being about cooking an "Oriental
    > appetizer, entree and side dish". I, for one, don't really enjoy
    > cooking Asian food. I do have a killer recipe for Thai steamed
    > dumplings. The recipe is on the RFC web site but just for grins I'll
    > post it again:
    >
    > Kahnom Jeep (Thai Dumplings)
    >
    > 3 oz. flaked crabmeat
    > 6 oz ground pork
    > 6 large shrimp, minced*
    > 1 Tbsp water
    > 1/4 tsp garlic salt (I use minced garlic and add some salt to the mix)
    > 1-1/2 - 2-1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
    > 1 egg
    > 1-1/2 Tbsp light soy sauce
    > 1 Tbsp peanut oil
    > 1/2 tsp pepper
    > 1 pkg wonton wrappers
    >
    > *Since I rarely just have 6 large shrimp lying around, I buy a bag of
    > small frozen "salad shrimp" and measure out what I need... no need to
    > mince those, either! Place shrimp, crabmeat and pork in mixing bowl.
    > Blend in remaining ingredients except wonton wrappers and mix together
    > until firm (add a little more cornstarch if mixture is too wet). Hold a
    > wonton wrapper in one hand. Place 1 Tbsp filling in the center. Fold the
    > corners in to meet in the middle, squeezing to close the top. Moisten
    > fingers with water and gently seal (I noticed last night they look like
    > small whole heads of garlic when done!). Place in a lightly oiled
    > steamer basket. Steam (covered) over simmering water about 25 minutes.
    > Serve with dipping sauce (below).
    >
    > Serves 4
    >
    > Dipping sauce (or use whatever you like):
    > 4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
    > 2 Tbsp hot water
    > 1 tsp sugar
    > 2 Tbsp dark soy sauce
    > 2 Tbsp thinly sliced ginger root
    >
    > Blend all ingredients together. Let sit at least 30 minutes. Use as a
    > dipping sauce for dumplings.
    >
    > Jill


    Sounds good to me! I've been thinking I could stuff mushrooms
    with such mixtures.

    --
    Jean B.

  14. #14
    sf Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 22:23:10 -0400, "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Sounds good to me! I've been thinking I could stuff mushrooms
    > with such mixtures.


    It would be delicious. You don't even need to use the crab. Pork and
    shrimp is a great combination... but you already know that.

    --
    Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

  15. #15
    Jean B. Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game

    sf wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 22:23:10 -0400, "Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds good to me! I've been thinking I could stuff mushrooms
    >> with such mixtures.

    >
    > It would be delicious. You don't even need to use the crab. Pork and
    > shrimp is a great combination... but you already know that.
    >

    Yup. I am thinking of dim sum fillings and all sorts of other
    things that could be done that way.

    --
    Jean B.

  16. #16
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game


  17. #17
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game


  18. #18
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Re: anyone play this cooking game


  19. #19
    jmcquown Guest

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32