Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

  1. #1
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    Got to chatting with some r.f.c.-ers in the r.f.c. IRC channel this
    morning (my time) and we were talking about some of the virtual
    cook-alongs that have been held in the past and what 'themes' we've
    already had and what other themes we might go for in the future...

    Anyway, the subject of outdoor grilling came up and I was
    um, 'volunteered' <evil grin in Christine Dabney's direction> to 'host'
    a "grill-along" in the chat channel so I could share with any other
    interested r.f.c.-ers what people in South Africa love to cook at what
    we call a "braai"[*]. e.g. boerewors, sosaties and 'mielie pap en
    sous'. Links to what the heck these are and/or recipes for them are
    available on request. ;-)

    Those that are interested could all grill meats/poultry/veggies - on a
    given date - and maybe some people would even like to try to prepare
    and grill some of the South African favorites (and make sides to go
    with it)?

    So... is anybody interested? If so, how does the weekend of 28/29
    August, 2010 sound? What day would be better? Saturday or Sunday - or
    should it just be a 'grill any time over that weekend' thing? Then any
    interested parties could log into the r.f.c. chat channel (on a
    day/time that suits them over that weekend) and/or post about it right
    here?

    (I suspect that the end of August may be a bit 'late in the season' for
    some northern hemisphere r.f.c-ers, but it won't be outdoor grilling
    weather over here much before then - dammit.)
    [*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braai

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  2. #2
    Ophelia Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?



    "ChattyCathy" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:fjF%n.36323$YX3.27852[email protected]..

    e.g. boerewors, sosaties and 'mielie pap en
    > sous'. Links to what the heck these are and/or recipes for them are
    > available on request. ;-)


    I am requesting both please. Either here, or my email is good



    --
    --
    https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

  3. #3
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    Ophelia wrote:
    >
    > "ChattyCathy" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message
    > news:fjF%n.36323$[email protected]..
    >
    > e.g. boerewors, sosaties and 'mielie pap en
    >> sous'. Links to what the heck these are and/or recipes for them are
    >> available on request. ;-)

    >
    > I am requesting both please. Either here, or my email is good


    Might as well post them here - other folks don't have to click on the
    links if they don't want to ;-)

    Boerewors:
    http://www.africhef.com/Boerewors-Recipe.html

    Mielie pap en sous:
    http://www.phuthu.co.za/2009/10/23/pap-en-sous-recipe/

    Sosaties a.k.a. kabobs/kebabs
    http://www.rainbownation.com/recipes...p?type=2&id=11

    NB: in this recipe 'curry powder' refers to a pre-mixed blend of ground
    spices and chili peppers which is readily available in supermarkets
    here (in a variety of combinations and/or 'hotness') and is made by
    quite a few local spice companies. Common mixtures often contain the
    following ground spices: coriander/cilantro root, cumin, garlic,
    ginger, black pepper corns, turmeric, mustard seeds, caraway seeds,
    cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon and - depending how 'hot' you like your
    sosaties - ground chili peppers of choice....

    Oh - and 'green peppers' are what are also known as 'bell peppers' in
    other parts of the world.
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  4. #4
    Zeppo Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?



    "ChattyCathy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:fjF%n.36323$[email protected]..
    > Got to chatting with some r.f.c.-ers in the r.f.c. IRC channel this
    > morning (my time) and we were talking about some of the virtual
    > cook-alongs that have been held in the past and what 'themes' we've
    > already had and what other themes we might go for in the future...
    >
    > Anyway, the subject of outdoor grilling came up and I was
    > um, 'volunteered' <evil grin in Christine Dabney's direction> to 'host'
    > a "grill-along" in the chat channel so I could share with any other
    > interested r.f.c.-ers what people in South Africa love to cook at what
    > we call a "braai"[*]. e.g. boerewors, sosaties and 'mielie pap en
    > sous'. Links to what the heck these are and/or recipes for them are
    > available on request. ;-)
    >
    > Those that are interested could all grill meats/poultry/veggies - on a
    > given date - and maybe some people would even like to try to prepare
    > and grill some of the South African favorites (and make sides to go
    > with it)?
    >
    > So... is anybody interested? If so, how does the weekend of 28/29
    > August, 2010 sound? What day would be better? Saturday or Sunday - or
    > should it just be a 'grill any time over that weekend' thing? Then any
    > interested parties could log into the r.f.c. chat channel (on a
    > day/time that suits them over that weekend) and/or post about it right
    > here?
    >
    > (I suspect that the end of August may be a bit 'late in the season' for
    > some northern hemisphere r.f.c-ers, but it won't be outdoor grilling
    > weather over here much before then - dammit.)
    >
    >[*] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braai
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Chatty Cathy


    I thought Braai was fried Matzoh!?

    A grill-along would be fun.
    I could invite a friend who was born in Johannesburg to my place for the
    event (and some expert advice). I'd have to source a second grill for him as
    he has gone over to the dark side and is now a vegetarian.

    I'm usually grilling right into early December at least.
    Jon


  5. #5
    Food SnobŪ Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    On Jul 15, 9:54*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
    > Got to chatting with some r.f.c.-ers in the r.f.c. IRC channel this
    > morning (my time) and we were talking about some of the virtual
    > cook-alongs that have been held in the past and what 'themes' we've
    > already had and what other themes we might go for in the future...
    >
    > Anyway, the subject of outdoor grilling came up and I was
    > um, 'volunteered' <evil grin in Christine Dabney's direction> to 'host'
    > a "grill-along" in the chat channel so I could share with any other
    > interested r.f.c.-ers what people in South Africa love to cook at what
    > we call a "braai"[*]. e.g. boerewors


    I'm familiar with the Boer Wars, but what the heck are boerewors?
    >
    > (I suspect that the end of August may be a bit 'late in the season' for
    > some northern hemisphere r.f.c-ers, but it won't be outdoor grilling
    > weather over here much before then - dammit.)


    Not late in the season at all. August is the hottest month here.
    Usually even worse than July.

    You know, I was thinking the other day about all of the folks who were
    suggesting the use of canned tomatoes, even in salsas, and why they'd
    do such a thing. Then I thought, well, maybe they're being
    considerate to the folks here who dwell on the other side of the
    equator. That's the only thing that made sense.
    >
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Chatty Cathy


    --Bryan

  6. #6
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    ChattyCathy wrote:

    > So... is anybody interested? If so, how does the weekend of 28/29
    > August, 2010 sound? What day would be better? Saturday or Sunday - or
    > should it just be a 'grill any time over that weekend' thing? Then any
    > interested parties could log into the r.f.c. chat channel (on a
    > day/time that suits them over that weekend) and/or post about it right
    > here?


    I'll be grilling along. Don't know what to make, just yet.

    nancy

  7. #7
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    Food SnobŪ wrote:

    > On Jul 15, 9:54*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:


    >> Anyway, the subject of outdoor grilling came up and I was
    >> um, 'volunteered' <evil grin in Christine Dabney's direction> to
    >> 'host' a "grill-along" in the chat channel so I could share with any
    >> other interested r.f.c.-ers what people in South Africa love to cook
    >> at what we call a "braai"[*]. e.g. boerewors

    >
    > I'm familiar with the Boer Wars, but what the heck are boerewors?


    Boerewors:
    http://www.africhef.com/Boerewors-Recipe.html

    >>
    >> (I suspect that the end of August may be a bit 'late in the season'
    >> for some northern hemisphere r.f.c-ers, but it won't be outdoor
    >> grilling weather over here much before then - dammit.)

    >
    > Not late in the season at all. August is the hottest month here.
    > Usually even worse than July.


    Ah. Good to know...

    >
    > You know, I was thinking the other day about all of the folks who were
    > suggesting the use of canned tomatoes, even in salsas, and why they'd
    > do such a thing. Then I thought, well, maybe they're being
    > considerate to the folks here who dwell on the other side of the
    > equator. That's the only thing that made sense.


    Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser. Do canned tomatoes contain trans-fats in
    your neck of the woods?
    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  8. #8
    Doug Freyburger Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    ChattyCathy wrote:
    >
    > Oh - and 'green peppers' are what are also known as 'bell peppers' in
    > other parts of the world.


    Yup. Green peppers come in several colors. Green, yellow, red and
    occasionally even purple. When I first said to someone "So it's red.
    That doesn't change the fact that it's a green pepper. The green is a
    part of the name not a physical description". It took a while for that
    to settle in and then I came to understand the value of naming them bell
    peppers instead.

    It's like saying I'm from New York State. Folks think it refers to some
    city comewhere. Or like my wife saying she's from Wahington State.
    Folks think of the city that's a continent away. Poorly chosen names
    cause problems. A green pepper having the word green in its name is
    like it was first patented by a horticulturist named Green with no
    reference to its allowed colors.

    There's some chemical in hot peppers that tastes good to me and is hot.
    There's some chemical in pimento/paprika peppers that only tastes hot to
    people with a lot of Hungarian blood and is mild to most. There's some
    chemical in bell peppers that tastes absolutely revolting to me and a
    minority of other people that tastes good to most. I wonder if the
    chemicals in question are variations of each other. Probably.

  9. #9
    Food SnobŪ Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    On Jul 15, 2:48*pm, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
    > Food SnobŪ wrote:
    > > On Jul 15, 9:54*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
    > >> Anyway, the subject of outdoor grilling came up and I was
    > >> um, 'volunteered' <evil grin in Christine Dabney's direction> to
    > >> 'host' a "grill-along" in the chat channel so I could share with any
    > >> other interested r.f.c.-ers what people in South Africa love to cook
    > >> at what we call a "braai"[*]. e.g. boerewors

    >
    > > I'm familiar with the Boer Wars, but what the heck are boerewors?

    >
    > Boerewors:http://www.africhef.com/Boerewors-Recipe.html
    >
    >
    >
    > >> (I suspect that the end of August may be a bit 'late in the season'
    > >> for some northern hemisphere r.f.c-ers, but it won't be outdoor
    > >> grilling weather over here much before then - dammit.)

    >
    > > Not late in the season at all. * August is the hottest month here.
    > > Usually even worse than July.

    >
    > Ah. Good to know...
    >
    >
    >
    > > You know, I was thinking the other day about all of the folks who were
    > > suggesting the use of canned tomatoes, even in salsas, and why they'd
    > > do such a thing. *Then I thought, well, maybe they're being
    > > considerate to the folks here who dwell on the other side of the
    > > equator. *That's the only thing that made sense.

    >
    > Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser. Do canned tomatoes contain trans-fats in
    > your neck of the woods?


    Of course not. There's nothing unhealthy about them, and during times
    of the year where good fresh tomatoes are either unavailable or
    prohibitively expensive, I understand, but I'm about as likely to make
    a salsa with canned tomatoes in the middle of the summer as I am to
    play in traffic.
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Chatty Cathy


    --Bryan

  10. #10
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    On Jul 15, 7:54*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
    <snip>
    >
    > Those that are interested could all grill meats/poultry/veggies - on a
    > given date - and maybe some people would even like to try to prepare
    > and grill some of the South African favorites (and make sides to go
    > with it)? *


    I made a variation of the chicken grill I posted a few days ago and it
    was *great*. Hubby definitely wants a redo of the entire meal which
    included Trader Joes Wild Rice Mix and grilled vegetables, so this
    will be good if I can find stone fruit in season.
    >
    > So... is anybody interested? If so, how does the weekend of 28/29
    > August, 2010 sound? What day would be better? Saturday or Sunday - or
    > should it just be a 'grill any time over that weekend' thing? Then any
    > interested parties could log into the r.f.c. chat channel (on a
    > day/time that suits them over that weekend) and/or post about it right
    > here?


    That date works for me... at least for now (maybe blake can be
    persuaded to recreate his booze-along on grilling day too).

    >
    > (I suspect that the end of August may be a bit 'late in the season' for
    > some northern hemisphere r.f.c-ers, but it won't be outdoor grilling
    > weather over here much before then - dammit.)
    >

    Not to worry, August is still grilling weather here. It's pretty hot
    in most places.


  11. #11
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    sf wrote:

    > On Jul 15, 7:54*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:


    >>
    >> So... is anybody interested? If so, how does the weekend of 28/29
    >> August, 2010 sound? What day would be better? Saturday or Sunday - or
    >> should it just be a 'grill any time over that weekend' thing? Then
    >> any interested parties could log into the r.f.c. chat channel (on a
    >> day/time that suits them over that weekend) and/or post about it
    >> right here?

    >
    > That date works for me... at least for now


    Cool. Any preference for Saturday or Sunday, or do you think
    the 'anytime over the weekend' would be better?

    > (maybe blake can be
    > persuaded to recreate his booze-along on grilling day too).


    <g> We'll have to drop some more hints to blake.

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  12. #12
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > ChattyCathy wrote:
    >
    >> So... is anybody interested? If so, how does the weekend of 28/29
    >> August, 2010 sound? What day would be better? Saturday or Sunday - or
    >> should it just be a 'grill any time over that weekend' thing? Then
    >> any interested parties could log into the r.f.c. chat channel (on a
    >> day/time that suits them over that weekend) and/or post about it
    >> right here?

    >
    > I'll be grilling along. Don't know what to make, just yet.


    Glad to hear it

    Which reminds me; I should have asked if any of the shutterbug folks
    would be interested in taking some photos and allow me to put them up
    on the RFC website... and if I can get the hang of using the kidlette's
    fancy-fandangled camera (ours kinda died from old age) I might take a
    pic or two myself - or just ask her to do it for me <grin>

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  13. #13
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    Zeppo wrote:


    > I thought Braai was fried Matzoh!?


    <g>
    >
    > A grill-along would be fun.


    I have to agree, hope to "see" you there?

    > I could invite a friend who was born in Johannesburg to my place for
    > the event (and some expert advice). I'd have to source a second grill
    > for him as he has gone over to the dark side and is now a vegetarian.
    >


    Well, grilled veggies are pretty good too ;-)


    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  14. #14
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    Food SnobŪ wrote:

    > On Jul 15, 2:48*pm, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
    >> Food SnobŪ wrote:


    >> > You know, I was thinking the other day about all of the folks who
    >> > were suggesting the use of canned tomatoes, even in salsas, and why
    >> > they'd do such a thing. *Then I thought, well, maybe they're being
    >> > considerate to the folks here who dwell on the other side of the
    >> > equator. *That's the only thing that made sense.

    >>
    >> Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser. Do canned tomatoes contain trans-fats
    >> in your neck of the woods?

    >
    > Of course not. There's nothing unhealthy about them, and during times
    > of the year where good fresh tomatoes are either unavailable or
    > prohibitively expensive, I understand, but I'm about as likely to make
    > a salsa with canned tomatoes in the middle of the summer as I am to
    > play in traffic.


    OK, think I get it now (sorry - I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes).
    You were referring to homemade 'raw' salsas; yes, in that case fresh
    tomatoes (which are available from the various markets all year round
    here) would be much better - assuming they are not contaminated with E.
    coli, of course ;-)

    But I was thinking about 'sous' which involves cooked tomatoes/onions
    etc... sometimes I've made it with fresh tomatoes and sometimes with
    canned - and the difference in taste/texture of the finished sous is
    imperceptible to me.

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  15. #15
    ChattyCathy Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    Doug Freyburger wrote:

    > ChattyCathy wrote:
    >>
    >> Oh - and 'green peppers' are what are also known as 'bell peppers' in
    >> other parts of the world.

    >
    > Yup. Green peppers come in several colors. Green, yellow, red and
    > occasionally even purple. When I first said to someone "So it's red.
    > That doesn't change the fact that it's a green pepper. The green is a
    > part of the name not a physical description". It took a while for
    > that to settle in and then I came to understand the value of naming
    > them bell peppers instead.
    >
    > It's like saying I'm from New York State. Folks think it refers to
    > some city comewhere. Or like my wife saying she's from Wahington
    > State. Folks think of the city that's a continent away. Poorly chosen
    > names cause problems. A green pepper having the word green in its
    > name is like it was first patented by a horticulturist named Green
    > with no reference to its allowed colors.


    Yabut, in my neck of the woods we don't call them bell peppers <lol>
    even though they are the same thing... And they also come in green,
    red, yellow and even orange too (haven't seen the purple cultivar
    tho') - but we refer to them as green peppers, red peppers, yellow
    peppers and (you guessed it) orange peppers.... so the author of the
    recipe in the link I posted *really* meant a green colored one. However
    IMHO, they taste very similar - admittedly the yellow and red one's are
    usually slightly sweeter than the green - so I often just substitute
    one 'color' for another, depending on what I have at hand.

    >
    > There's some chemical in hot peppers that tastes good to me and is
    > hot. There's some chemical in pimento/paprika peppers that only tastes
    > hot to people with a lot of Hungarian blood and is mild to most.


    Now that's a new one on me. You got a cite for that?

    > There's
    > some chemical in bell peppers that tastes absolutely revolting to me
    > and a minority of other people that tastes good to most. I wonder if
    > the chemicals in question are variations of each other. Probably.


    Heh, whatever the 'chemical(s)' you speak of may be - if you don't like
    the taste of bell peppers nothing is going to change that - unless
    technology becomes so advanced that one could have a 'chemical
    transplant' or some such ;-)

    --
    Cheers
    Chatty Cathy

  16. #16
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:09:05 +0200, ChattyCathy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 15, 7:54*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:

    >
    > >>
    > >> So... is anybody interested? If so, how does the weekend of 28/29
    > >> August, 2010 sound? What day would be better? Saturday or Sunday - or
    > >> should it just be a 'grill any time over that weekend' thing? Then
    > >> any interested parties could log into the r.f.c. chat channel (on a
    > >> day/time that suits them over that weekend) and/or post about it
    > >> right here?

    > >
    > > That date works for me... at least for now

    >
    > Cool. Any preference for Saturday or Sunday,


    I'm fine with either at this point.

    > or do you think
    > the 'anytime over the weekend' would be better?


    Considering our world's are inverted (I'm getting up as you're winding
    down, I'm winding down as you're getting up) and there is everyone in
    between (and Australia)... plus cooking times and styles vary. Some
    people will bbq on the grill, but I bet others will go the slow route
    and do a southern style barbecue. So, for purposes of posting to rfc
    maybe we should do it when we can. You man the chat room when you
    can, some of us will pop in when we can and the rest will post here.

    Did you see that Om, Wayne and all the other rfc chat room chickens?
    You don't have to be in the chat room to participate in a cook-along,
    post here! Real time chat happens in the chat room, but it's not
    required for a cook-along. BTW: it would be fun if those with a
    camera took a picture or two of what they are doing and the final
    result. Personally, I think even a cell phone picture is fine. BTDT
    Again, it's not required, but fun - then maybe cathy will post them
    (along with a recipe or method) here
    http://www.recfoodcooking.com/cookalongs.html Cathy, can people who
    think their photographs are horrible just submit a recipe to be posted
    under the cook-along?
    >
    > > (maybe blake can be
    > > persuaded to recreate his booze-along on grilling day too).

    >
    > <g> We'll have to drop some more hints to blake.


    OK, I'll go first. H-opefully
    i-nterested
    n-ext
    t-ime
    !

    Now I'll beg: Pretty please with sugar on top????

    --

    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

  17. #17
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 21:48:25 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

    > Food SnobŪ wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 15, 9:54*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:

    >
    >>> Anyway, the subject of outdoor grilling came up and I was
    >>> um, 'volunteered' <evil grin in Christine Dabney's direction> to
    >>> 'host' a "grill-along" in the chat channel so I could share with any
    >>> other interested r.f.c.-ers what people in South Africa love to cook
    >>> at what we call a "braai"[*]. e.g. boerewors

    >>
    >> I'm familiar with the Boer Wars, but what the heck are boerewors?

    >
    > Boerewors:
    > http://www.africhef.com/Boerewors-Recipe.html
    >
    >>>
    >>> (I suspect that the end of August may be a bit 'late in the season'
    >>> for some northern hemisphere r.f.c-ers, but it won't be outdoor
    >>> grilling weather over here much before then - dammit.)

    >>
    >> Not late in the season at all. August is the hottest month here.
    >> Usually even worse than July.

    >
    > Ah. Good to know...
    >
    >>
    >> You know, I was thinking the other day about all of the folks who were
    >> suggesting the use of canned tomatoes, even in salsas, and why they'd
    >> do such a thing. Then I thought, well, maybe they're being
    >> considerate to the folks here who dwell on the other side of the
    >> equator. That's the only thing that made sense.

    >
    > Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser. Do canned tomatoes contain trans-fats in
    > your neck of the woods?


    <snort>

    your pal,
    blake

  18. #18
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:09:05 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

    > sf wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 15, 7:54*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:

    >
    >>>
    >>> So... is anybody interested? If so, how does the weekend of 28/29
    >>> August, 2010 sound? What day would be better? Saturday or Sunday - or
    >>> should it just be a 'grill any time over that weekend' thing? Then
    >>> any interested parties could log into the r.f.c. chat channel (on a
    >>> day/time that suits them over that weekend) and/or post about it
    >>> right here?

    >>
    >> That date works for me... at least for now

    >
    > Cool. Any preference for Saturday or Sunday, or do you think
    > the 'anytime over the weekend' would be better?
    >
    >> (maybe blake can be
    >> persuaded to recreate his booze-along on grilling day too).

    >
    > <g> We'll have to drop some more hints to blake.


    i might go along for the ride. any grilling will be the indoors variety,
    though.

    i did just buy this gizmo few weeks ago:

    <http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-HPS-SG2-Barbeque-120-Square-Inch-Nonstick/dp/B00176P77C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279307620&sr=8-1>

    it seems promising. i cooked a flank steak that was looking pretty good on
    the outside but was too rare. my other indoor grill makes the steak too
    well done before the outside is right. could be pretty good with a little
    time adjustment. the korean broiled meat and vegetables may be next.

    your pal,
    blake


  19. #19
    sueb Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    On Jul 16, 6:38*am, ChattyCathy <cathy1...@mailinator.com> wrote:
    > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > > ChattyCathy wrote:

    >
    > >> Oh - and 'green peppers' are what are also known as 'bell peppers' in
    > >> other parts of the world.

    >
    > > Yup. *Green peppers come in several colors. *Green, yellow, red and
    > > occasionally even purple. * When I first said to someone "So it's red..
    > > That doesn't change the fact that it's a green pepper. *The green is a
    > > part of the name not a physical description". *It took a while for
    > > that to settle in and then I came to understand the value of naming
    > > them bell peppers instead.

    >
    > > It's like saying I'm from New York State. *Folks think it refers to
    > > some *city comewhere. *Or like my wife saying she's from Wahington
    > > State. Folks think of the city that's a continent away. *Poorly chosen
    > > names cause problems. *A green pepper having the word green in its
    > > name is like it was first patented by a horticulturist named Green
    > > with no reference to its allowed colors.

    >
    > Yabut, in my neck of the woods we don't call them bell peppers <lol>
    > even though they are the same thing... And they also come in green,
    > red, yellow and even orange too (haven't seen the purple cultivar
    > tho') - but we refer to them as green peppers, red peppers, yellow
    > peppers and (you guessed it) orange peppers.... so the author of the
    > recipe in the link I posted *really* meant a green colored one. However
    > IMHO, they taste very similar - admittedly the yellow and red one's are
    > usually slightly sweeter than the green - so I often just substitute
    > one 'color' for another, depending on what I have at hand.
    >


    Whatever you call them, most of the not-green ones, actually started
    out green and then turned that other color. So it is important to say
    that you want to use a green bell pepper, because the red, yellow, and
    purple ones are much sweeter than the greens.

    If you leave a green pepper on the plant, eventually as it matures, it
    will change color. The color it changes into depends on the
    particular cultivar that you are growing.

    It's like tomatoes, they all start out green, but some turn red, and
    some yellow or orange.

    Susan B.

  20. #20
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Anybody up for a "grill-along"?

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:19:51 -0400, blake murphy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > i might go along for the ride. any grilling will be the indoors variety,
    > though.


    Mine will be too. I don't enjoy hiking up and down stairs to check
    the bbq.

    >
    > i did just buy this gizmo few weeks ago:
    >
    > <http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-HPS-SG2-Barbeque-120-Square-Inch-Nonstick/dp/B00176P77C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279307620&sr=8-1>
    >

    I like it!

    > it seems promising. i cooked a flank steak that was looking pretty good on
    > the outside but was too rare.


    It would probably be just right for me. I like rare meat, but I want
    it charred on the outside.

    > my other indoor grill makes the steak too
    > well done before the outside is right. could be pretty good with a little
    > time adjustment. the korean broiled meat and vegetables may be next.


    Sounds good to me, you could make it during the cook along.

    --

    Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32