Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 99

Thread: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

  1. #1
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Another Winner from Food network (OT)


  2. #2
    Boron Elgar Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:57:54 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...ke-wish-2011-3
    >
    >BITCH!
    >
    >Dimitri



    Your and the blogger's condemnation are idiotic. No celebrity has the
    responsibility to accept every charity request made. Each is entitled
    to put efforts where ever they choose or even nowhere at all.

    The bitch is the one who wrote the article, which is truly
    Twitter-worthy only, followed by its cheerleaders.

    Boron


  3. #3
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]..
    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:57:54 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...ke-wish-2011-3
    >>
    >>BITCH!
    >>
    >>Dimitri

    >
    >
    > Your and the blogger's condemnation are idiotic. No celebrity has the
    > responsibility to accept every charity request made. Each is entitled
    > to put efforts where ever they choose or even nowhere at all.
    >
    > The bitch is the one who wrote the article, which is truly
    > Twitter-worthy only, followed by its cheerleaders.
    >
    > Boron


    Without question I disagree.

    Certainly EVERY request is unreasonable but I think a few minutes with a
    child with a life threatening illness is a different story. Especially when
    you understand the M-A-W foundation takes care of ALL the details and the
    only involvement for the celebrity is a little of their precious time.

    Dimitri



  4. #4
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:57:54 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...ke-wish-2011-3
    >
    > BITCH!
    >


    I wouldn't go that far, but Uh-Oh! Damage control is right. I do say
    "gag me with a spoon" when those other celebrity chefs have kids on
    their shows - Paula and her grandchildren, Sandra Lee and her nephews
    & nieces, Giada with her DD +friends & children. No thanks. Ina can
    cook with the little guy, but please don't make a tv episode out of
    it.

    There's no way she'd be requested by a six year old anyway. She's not
    animated and entertaining enough for children that young. Now Martin
    Yan... now he's one that I can visualize a little kid wanting to cook
    with. Even Anne Burrell might be a good fit although her humor would
    probably fly right over their heads; but at least she's animated and
    entertaining enough to catch their attention. Definitely *not* Ina.
    I think she made a good choice no matter how much grief she'll get for
    it.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  5. #5
    Dimitri Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:sscso6dihb4ifammi[email protected]..
    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:57:54 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...ke-wish-2011-3
    >>
    >> BITCH!
    >>

    >
    > I wouldn't go that far, but Uh-Oh! Damage control is right. I do say
    > "gag me with a spoon" when those other celebrity chefs have kids on
    > their shows - Paula and her grandchildren, Sandra Lee and her nephews
    > & nieces, Giada with her DD +friends & children. No thanks. Ina can
    > cook with the little guy, but please don't make a tv episode out of
    > it.
    >
    > There's no way she'd be requested by a six year old anyway. She's not
    > animated and entertaining enough for children that young. Now Martin
    > Yan... now he's one that I can visualize a little kid wanting to cook
    > with. Even Anne Burrell might be a good fit although her humor would
    > probably fly right over their heads; but at least she's animated and
    > entertaining enough to catch their attention. Definitely *not* Ina.
    > I think she made a good choice no matter how much grief she'll get for
    > it.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.




    If the child is Ill and does spend a great deal of time watching TV it is
    conceivable she is a hero to the child.

    The MAW foundation sends out a representative who talks to the parents and
    "interviews" the child for their MAW trip/Dream.

    I do not believe the child mentioned anything about cooking on TV but just
    to meet & cook with the celebrity. Of course any child is greatly influenced
    by their parent(s) it may in face be the mothers dream - I do not know all
    of the circumstances of this case but I am very familiar with the MAW people
    and how they operate.

    Take a look here: http://www.gktw.org/

    The MAW trips cover a myriad of wishes they Endeavour to make come true

    As example:
    http://news.google.com/news/search?a...&q=make+a+wish


    Dimitri


  6. #6
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On 26/03/2011 1:57 PM, Dimitri wrote:
    > http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...ke-wish-2011-3
    >
    >
    > BITCH!
    >


    I am not a great fanny of the Barefoot Contessa, but I have no problem
    with her turning down request like that. You can't expect everyone
    with a TV show to allow any Tom Dick or Harry on their show to make that
    guest feel good about themselves.

    FWIW.... we are having a fund raising dance and silent auction for my
    charity organization tonight. I went to just about every store and
    business in the area looking for donations for the auction and less than
    10% donated. I am not saying that they are cheap and don`t donate to
    any charity but I guess they were supporting other charities.

  7. #7
    jmcquown Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)


    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:TWrjp.22211$[email protected] m...
    > On 26/03/2011 1:57 PM, Dimitri wrote:
    >> http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...ke-wish-2011-3
    >>
    >>
    >> BITCH!
    >>

    >
    > I am not a great fanny of the Barefoot Contessa, but I have no problem
    > with her turning down request like that. You can't expect everyone with
    > a TV show to allow any Tom Dick or Harry on their show to make that guest
    > feel good about themselves.
    >

    (snippage and wishing you well on your fund drive)

    I agree, Dave. I'm not Ina Garten but I get calls all the time from
    people/causes asking for money. I have some specific charities I give
    donations to. The rest of them just have to accept it when I say sorry, but
    no. It doesn't make Twitter or Facebook or whatever. Being a celebrity
    apparently makes you even more of a target, and if you (or your publicist or
    whatever) says no it's "news". I don't think that's fair.

    Jill


  8. #8
    sf Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:33:15 -0700, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I do not believe the child mentioned anything about cooking on TV but just
    > to meet & cook with the celebrity. Of course any child is greatly influenced
    > by their parent(s) it may in face be the mothers dream - I do not know all
    > of the circumstances of this case but I am very familiar with the MAW people
    > and how they operate.


    I am very familiar with the organization. I just don't think she
    needs to be raked over the coals for it. There is no way *she* would
    be a top choice for a six year old. Sounded to me like he was heavily
    influenced by his mother.

    --

    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

  9. #9
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On 2011-03-26, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > be a top choice for a six year old. Sounded to me like he was heavily
    > influenced by his mother.


    Looks like she's heavily influenced by gravity!



  10. #10
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On 26/03/2011 4:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:

    >> I am not a great fanny of the Barefoot Contessa, but I have no problem
    >> with her turning down request like that. You can't expect everyone
    >> with a TV show to allow any Tom Dick or Harry on their show to make
    >> that guest feel good about themselves.
    >>

    > (snippage and wishing you well on your fund drive)
    >
    > I agree, Dave. I'm not Ina Garten but I get calls all the time from
    > people/causes asking for money. I have some specific charities I give
    > donations to. The rest of them just have to accept it when I say sorry,
    > but no. It doesn't make Twitter or Facebook or whatever. Being a
    > celebrity apparently makes you even more of a target, and if you (or
    > your publicist or whatever) says no it's "news". I don't think that's fair.




    FWIW, I have been volunteering for a local charity organization that I
    think it is worthwhile. In fact, I joined the board last year in order
    to take an even more active role in it. We have a therapeutic riding
    school and teach mentally and physically disabled children and adults to
    ride. During the summer I spend 2-3 hours a night three nights a week
    and sometimes daytime sessions. I am also involved in our fund raising
    activities, like the dinner dance and silent auction that we had last night.

    There are causes that do not interest me but to which I might donate
    small amounts of money. There is the constant barrage of beg letters. I
    donate money to the Cancer Society. My wife and I sell daffodils fro
    them Cancer Society. But then I end up getting beg letters from
    variations of cancer societies fro every organ int he body. breast
    cancer, brain cancer, liver cancer, skin cancer..... Then there is the
    Heart an Stroke Society, Leukemia...... come on... overkill.


    There are charities with which I disagree with. I think some of them are
    ridiculous and will not bother saying which because someone is bound to
    get offended. There is one exception.... a local branch of Community
    Living, an organization for the care and housing of developmentally
    disabled. I made a legitimate complaint to them and instead of
    thanking me and acting on it, they lied to me.

    I used to deal with some of their group homes when I was working. I
    came to recognize their staff, their clients and their vehicles. I
    started see them at the gym at my local YMCA and observed that rather
    than the workers supervising the clients while they did their exercise
    regimes, it was the workers who were working out and ignoring their
    charges. In one case, one of the lower functioning clients was sat down
    on a bench while her worker was on a stationary bike. When the girl
    started acting up and walking around the worker yelled at her to sit
    down and be quiet.

    That was the last straw for me. I wrote to them to tell them what I had
    seen. I told them the date and time and described the people. Someone
    wrote back to tell me that they logged in at the Y and checked their
    records and their people were not there that day. They lied. I know
    they were Community Living staff and clients. I even heard on of the
    workers telling a friend that he worked for them. This was a guy
    working out and talking with his buddy after having left one of his
    disabled clients to fend for himself.

    I was upset enough with the way the staff were neglecting their clients.
    I was even more upset that they would lie to me when I reported a
    legitimate beef.




  11. #11
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On 26/03/2011 4:49 PM, sf wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 12:33:15 -0700, "Dimitri"<[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I do not believe the child mentioned anything about cooking on TV but just
    >> to meet& cook with the celebrity. Of course any child is greatly influenced
    >> by their parent(s) it may in face be the mothers dream - I do not know all
    >> of the circumstances of this case but I am very familiar with the MAW people
    >> and how they operate.

    >
    > I am very familiar with the organization. I just don't think she
    > needs to be raked over the coals for it. There is no way *she* would
    > be a top choice for a six year old. Sounded to me like he was heavily
    > influenced by his mother.
    >


    I bet you are right on that. It beats me that she would be the first
    choice for a six yer old boy. I don't understand why she even has a
    show. I can think of lots of other FN hosts that would be more
    interesting to meet.

    FWIW.... the Wikipedia article on her says that she guards her personal
    life very carefully and does not participate in FN activities and
    charities. While her husband and friends sometimes appear on her show
    you don't see or hear anything of any of the rest of the family.

  12. #12
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    Re: iml9ep$2k3$[email protected]

    Dimitri <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...ke-wish-2011-3
    >
    > BITCH!
    >
    > Dimitri


    I think the sin is in not being mindful of who was turned down. Call me
    cynical, but I realize that most celebrities simply cannot respond to every
    request made of them. I'm also not saying humanitarian decisions should be
    made solely on PR grounds, but in this case turning down Make A Wish is
    quite the public blunder.



  13. #13
    Ranée at Arabian Knits Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    In article <imqkh5$51o$[email protected]>,
    "Nunya Bidnits" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Re: iml9ep$2k3$[email protected]
    >
    > Dimitri <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...t-contessa-mak
    > > e-wish-2011-3
    > >
    > > BITCH!
    > >
    > > Dimitri

    >
    > I think the sin is in not being mindful of who was turned down. Call me
    > cynical, but I realize that most celebrities simply cannot respond to every
    > request made of them. I'm also not saying humanitarian decisions should be
    > made solely on PR grounds, but in this case turning down Make A Wish is
    > quite the public blunder.


    Exactly. She is a public figure and she does other charitable work
    quite publicly. Turning down a six year old from Make a Wish is a bad
    idea from a PR standpoint, if nothing else. It's possible the request
    never even made it to her, but at the very least a PR person needs to be
    fired.

    Regards,
    Ranee @ Arabian Knits

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  14. #14
    Boron Elgar Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:12:12 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <imqkh5$51o$[email protected]>,
    > "Nunya Bidnits" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Re: iml9ep$2k3$[email protected]
    >>
    >> Dimitri <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...t-contessa-mak
    >> > e-wish-2011-3
    >> >
    >> > BITCH!
    >> >
    >> > Dimitri

    >>
    >> I think the sin is in not being mindful of who was turned down. Call me
    >> cynical, but I realize that most celebrities simply cannot respond to every
    >> request made of them. I'm also not saying humanitarian decisions should be
    >> made solely on PR grounds, but in this case turning down Make A Wish is
    >> quite the public blunder.

    >
    > Exactly. She is a public figure and she does other charitable work
    >quite publicly. Turning down a six year old from Make a Wish is a bad
    >idea from a PR standpoint, if nothing else. It's possible the request
    >never even made it to her, but at the very least a PR person needs to be
    >fired.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Ranee @ Arabian Knits
    >
    >"She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
    >
    >http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/


    Assuming she was the one to make a decision or her staff made it with
    her knowledge and permission, she has every right to turn down any
    charitable request whatsoever, whether it is from a dying child,
    Mother Theresa (even as ghost), some patriotic cause, the
    disease-of-the-day or anything else

    The obligation for any celebrity to unequivocally participate in one
    particular charity is untenable.

    Blogs, Twitter and TMZ have made this microscopic molehill into a
    massive mountain range. Really, half the Middle East is under fire
    these days and Japan is in such dire straights...this is utter
    nonsense to occupy front pages.

    Boron



  15. #15
    projectile vomit chick Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On Mar 26, 12:57*pm, "Dimitri" <Dimitr...@prodigy.net> wrote:
    > http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...barefoot-conte...
    >
    > BITCH!


    Why does that make her a "bitch"?

  16. #16
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On 28/03/2011 2:37 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    > Re: iml9ep$2k3$[email protected]
    >
    > Dimitri<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.businessinsider.com/food-...ke-wish-2011-3
    >>
    >> BITCH!
    >>
    >> Dimitri

    >
    > I think the sin is in not being mindful of who was turned down. Call me
    > cynical, but I realize that most celebrities simply cannot respond to every
    > request made of them. I'm also not saying humanitarian decisions should be
    > made solely on PR grounds, but in this case turning down Make A Wish is
    > quite the public blunder.




    Horse pucky. Make A Wish has no right to make demands on any
    organization, any business, any celebrity or any individual. They were
    turned down once, apparently graciously. The could have taken a hint,
    but then they tried again. Then they did the unpardonable, IMO, but
    releasing the information that Ina had turned them down.

    When I was working at our fundraiser silent auction on the weekend I
    made a point of telling people who had donated various items. I most
    definitely did not tell any of our guests who had refused to donate and
    I strongly disapprove of charities outing celebrities who fail to
    support them.

  17. #17
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On 28/03/2011 3:12 PM, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

    > Exactly. She is a public figure and she does other charitable work
    > quite publicly. Turning down a six year old from Make a Wish is a bad
    > idea from a PR standpoint, if nothing else.


    From my point of view....... the PR failure is on the part of Make A
    Wish for trying to embarass her for not indulging their charity.


    What if it were an organization that helped women getting abortions, or
    one that tried to prevent abortions. While some celebrities are
    outspoken enough that they would be willing to step in and help, I am
    sure than most would rather not get involved and not have to deal with
    the PR fallout.



    > It's possible the request
    > never even made it to her, but at the very least a PR person needs to be
    > fired.



    The one who needs to be fired is the person at Make A Wish who outed her
    for not helping them. Charity is not about making a big deal about what
    you do.

    >


  18. #18
    Dave Smith Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On 28/03/2011 9:24 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
    > Dave Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> Horse pucky. Make A Wish has no right to make demands on any
    >> organization, any business, any celebrity or any individual.

    >
    > True, but from a practical point-of-view she erred
    > by not knuckling under to the shakedown.



    Nuts to that. No one should be expected knuckle under to shakedown.

    it's one thing for make a wish to arrange for drips to Disneyland,or
    some other kid tourist spot, a business that would benefit from such a
    jester, but even then it should be within reason. There are lots of kid
    dying and they might have trouble coping with large numbers of them
    arriving.

    In this case, they targetted an individual. She i a celebrity, but sill
    an individual. I have to admit that I question whether it was really the
    kid's choice but that is irrelevant to my disgust over their outing her
    for not indulging them. While some people are threatening to boycott
    her for not indulging Make A Wish, my reaction is quite different. I
    would never support a charity that acts like that.

  19. #19
    Christine Dabney Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:37:42 -0400, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 28/03/2011 9:24 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
    >> Dave Smith wrote:


    >Nuts to that. No one should be expected knuckle under to shakedown.


    New developments:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dail...gest-fans.html

    Christine
    --
    http://nightstirrings.blogspot.com

  20. #20
    Ranée at Arabian Knits Guest

    Default Re: Another Winner from Food network (OT)

    In article <%Q6kp.17322$[email protected]> ,
    Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What if it were an organization that helped women getting abortions, or
    > one that tried to prevent abortions. While some celebrities are
    > outspoken enough that they would be willing to step in and help, I am
    > sure than most would rather not get involved and not have to deal with
    > the PR fallout.


    And if that were the case, I'd expect them to explain that they
    weren't looking for that kind of publicity when the organization put
    them on a list of people who wouldn't help (both sides do this) or
    firmly put their support behind the other side, if it was ideologically
    driven.

    She can't get many requests from six year olds. Especially those
    with leukemia. She or her PR folks couldn't clear an afternoon?

    Regards,
    Ranee @ Arabian Knits

    "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32