Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Accidental gourd

  1. #1
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Accidental gourd

    A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    was just another volunteer cucumber.

    http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg

    I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.

    nancy

  2. #2
    ImStillMags Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On Sep 13, 10:11*am, Nancy Young <rjynlynos...@vverizon.net> wrote:
    > A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    > have to buy one this year. *All this time, I thought this vine
    > was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >
    > http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >
    > I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.
    >
    > nancy


    Must be good compost cause that gourd certainly looks healthy !!

  3. #3
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On 9/13/2012 2:33 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
    > On Sep 13, 10:11 am, Nancy Young <rjynlynos...@vverizon.net> wrote:
    >> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>
    >> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>
    >> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.


    > Must be good compost cause that gourd certainly looks healthy !!


    Doesn't it? Heh. My flower beds get a lot of compost and
    manure.

    Truth be told, I thought there was some intervention with those
    goose neck gourds, that the farmer would make sure it grew
    bent to look more goose-like. Now I know.

    nancy


  4. #4
    Ema Nymton Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On 9/13/2012 12:11 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
    > A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    > have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    > was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >
    > http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >
    > I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.
    >
    > nancy



    You grew a nice gourd, Nancy.

    Becca

  5. #5
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On 9/13/2012 4:18 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
    > On 9/13/2012 12:11 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
    >> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>
    >> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>
    >> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.


    > You grew a nice gourd, Nancy.


    Who knew, right? (laugh) What's today, Sept 13th, took me til now
    to notice I had a gourd plant.

    nancy


  6. #6
    Nunya Bidnits Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    Nancy Young <[email protected]> wrote:
    > A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    > have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    > was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >
    > http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >
    > I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.
    >
    > nancy


    What? 4 hours and still no anatomical references from Sheldon? Is he sick
    today?

    MartyB



  7. #7
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:11:09 -0400, Nancy Young
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >
    >http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >
    >I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.


    That is one lascivious guard. LOL

  8. #8
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On 9/13/2012 6:08 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:11:09 -0400, Nancy Young
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>
    >> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>
    >> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.

    >
    > That is one lascivious guard. LOL
    >

    (laugh) I've been avoiding the inuendo.

    nancy

  9. #9
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >Nancy Young wrote:
    >> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>
    >> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>
    >> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.

    >
    >What? 4 hours and still no anatomical references from Sheldon? Is he sick
    >today?


    I've been busy, unlike you I have a life. This morning I had an appt
    at the dentist to get my choppers cleaned. Then while I was in town I
    did some shopping, bought a lovely center cut pork roast, was on sale
    at $1.99/lb:
    http://i46.tinypic.com/nfjfhi.jpg
    Then when I got home I headed out to my back field and finished the
    last of my mowing:
    http://i48.tinypic.com/fmiky.jpg
    Noticed I have a tree to remove, looks like a lightening strike:
    http://i50.tinypic.com/24cf7sy.jpg
    Afterwards I checked out my vegetable garden, I have lots of
    cantaloupe, they're late as the weather wasn't cooperative but better
    late than never:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/4r9c88.jpg
    And I have a perfect Charlie Brown Halloween punkin... has a higher IQ
    than you, noneya nutz:
    http://i50.tinypic.com/ou7292.jpg





  10. #10
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:30:07 -0400, Nancy Young
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 9/13/2012 6:08 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:11:09 -0400, Nancy Young
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >>> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >>> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>>
    >>> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.

    >>
    >> That is one lascivious guard. LOL
    >>

    >(laugh) I've been avoiding the inuendo.


    Inuendo... hehe

  11. #11
    gloria p Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd


    >> On Sep 13, 10:11 am, Nancy Young <rjynlynos...@vverizon.net> wrote:
    >>> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >>> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >>> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>>
    >>> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.



    Compost piles breed some interesting melons, squash, and gourds, mostly
    cross-pollinated so they aren't very palatable. It must be the heat and
    humidity in the pile.

    gloria p


  12. #12
    JBurns Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:54:15 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:30:07 -0400, Nancy Young
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 9/13/2012 6:08 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:11:09 -0400, Nancy Young
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >>>> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >>>> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>>>
    >>>> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.
    >>>
    >>> That is one lascivious guard. LOL
    >>>

    >>(laugh) I've been avoiding the inuendo.

    >
    >Inuendo... hehe


    An Italian suppository.

    JB


  13. #13
    JBurns Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:54:15 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:30:07 -0400, Nancy Young
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 9/13/2012 6:08 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 13:11:09 -0400, Nancy Young
    >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >>>> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >>>> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>>>
    >>>> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.
    >>>
    >>> That is one lascivious guard. LOL
    >>>

    >>(laugh) I've been avoiding the inuendo.

    >
    >Inuendo... hehe


    An Italian suppository.

    JB


  14. #14
    Nancy Young Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On 9/13/2012 9:20 PM, gloria p wrote:
    >
    >>> On Sep 13, 10:11 am, Nancy Young <rjynlynos...@vverizon.net> wrote:
    >>>> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >>>> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >>>> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>>>
    >>>> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>>>
    >>>> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.

    >
    >
    > Compost piles breed some interesting melons, squash, and gourds, mostly
    > cross-pollinated so they aren't very palatable. It must be the heat and
    > humidity in the pile.


    I also wound up with cherry tomatoes, not quite the grape shaped
    tomatoes I put in the pile last summer. Also the aforementioned
    cucumber plants all over my flower beds. Somehow it all looked nice
    anyway.

    Too bad I didn't get a gooseneck crossed with watermelon seeds, it
    could have been a huge decoration. Hee.

    nancy


  15. #15
    Ema Nymton Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On 9/13/2012 8:20 PM, gloria p wrote:

    > Compost piles breed some interesting melons, squash, and gourds, mostly
    > cross-pollinated so they aren't very palatable. It must be the heat and
    > humidity in the pile.
    >
    > gloria p



    Did not know that, Gloria. Tomatoes and onions have sprouted out of my
    compost heap, but no gourds. I do not have one right now, so I am
    missing out.

    Becca


  16. #16
    Krypsis Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On 14/09/2012 8:46 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
    > Nunya Bidnits wrote:
    >> Nancy Young wrote:
    >>> A gift from last year's ornamental gooseneck gourd, I don't
    >>> have to buy one this year. All this time, I thought this vine
    >>> was just another volunteer cucumber.
    >>>
    >>> http://i45.tinypic.com/2rcqqm9.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I guess I need to cook my compost pile better.

    >>
    >> What? 4 hours and still no anatomical references from Sheldon? Is he sick
    >> today?

    >
    > I've been busy, unlike you I have a life.


    Could have fooled me!

    <snip>


    --

    Krypsis

  17. #17
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    gloria p wrote:
    >
    > Compost piles breed some interesting melons, squash, and gourds, mostly
    > cross-pollinated so they aren't very palatable. It must be the heat and
    > humidity in the pile.


    More often those volunteer plant seeds were in critter poop.

  18. #18
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On Sep 14, 9:21*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > gloria p wrote:
    >
    > > Compost piles breed some interesting melons, squash, and gourds, mostly
    > > cross-pollinated so they aren't very palatable. It must be the heat and
    > > humidity in the pile.

    >
    > More often those volunteer plant seeds were in critter poop.


    We had a beautiful pink poppy plant show up in our yard a few weeks
    ago. Never had one anywhere here before, and it was only one. I think
    a bird must have dropped it off...

  19. #19
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 12:08:19 -0700 (PDT), merryb <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sep 14, 9:21*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >> gloria p wrote:
    >>
    >> > Compost piles breed some interesting melons, squash, and gourds, mostly
    >> > cross-pollinated so they aren't very palatable. It must be the heat and
    >> > humidity in the pile.

    >>
    >> More often those volunteer plant seeds were in critter poop.

    >
    >We had a beautiful pink poppy plant show up in our yard a few weeks
    >ago. Never had one anywhere here before, and it was only one. I think
    >a bird must have dropped it off...


    A bird that was flying high...

  20. #20
    Andy Guest

    Default Re: Accidental gourd

    Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 12:08:19 -0700 (PDT), merryb
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sep 14, 9:21*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >>> gloria p wrote:
    >>>
    >>> > Compost piles breed some interesting melons, squash,
    >>> > and gourds, mostly cross-pollinated so they aren't very
    >>> > palatable. It must be the heat and humidity in the
    >>> > pile.
    >>>
    >>> More often those volunteer plant seeds were in critter
    >>> poop.

    >>
    >>We had a beautiful pink poppy plant show up in our yard a
    >>few weeks ago. Never had one anywhere here before, and it
    >>was only one. I think a bird must have dropped it off...

    >
    > A bird that was flying high...




    That's how James Mitchner's "HAWAII" novel started!

    A must re-read classic!

    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32