Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

  1. #1
    Somebody Guest

    Default 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"

    Harvest before frost? Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warms up?
    Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... Even if it's close to frost
    though, that can't be good?



  2. #2
    Chemo Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the restof my tomatoes?

    On Oct 10, 2:53*pm, "Somebody" <e...@mail.au> wrote:
    > NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"
    >
    > Harvest before frost? *Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warmsup?
    > Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... *Even if it's close to frost
    > though, that can't be good?


    You're the farmer...you should know.

  3. #3
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the restof my tomatoes?

    On Oct 10, 2:53*pm, "Somebody" <e...@mail.au> wrote:
    > NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"
    >
    > Harvest before frost? *Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warmsup?
    > Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... *Even if it's close to frost
    > though, that can't be good?


    I'd pick them- they will probably get ripe. I picked a bunch at my
    Mom's a few weeks ago- she had at least 30 plants. I put them in my
    kitchen window- some ripened, some kinda rotted. My chickens like the
    bad ones, so no big loss.

  4. #4
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:05:36 -0700 (PDT), merryb <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Oct 10, 2:53*pm, "Somebody" <e...@mail.au> wrote:
    >> NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"
    >>
    >> Harvest before frost? *Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warms up?
    >> Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... *Even if it's close to frost
    >> though, that can't be good?

    >
    >I'd pick them- they will probably get ripe. I picked a bunch at my
    >Mom's a few weeks ago- she had at least 30 plants. I put them in my
    >kitchen window- some ripened, some kinda rotted. My chickens like the
    >bad ones, so no big loss.


    Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.
    http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...o-pickles.html

  5. #5
    Ema Nymton Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest therest of my tomatoes?

    On 10/10/2012 4:53 PM, Somebody wrote:
    > NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"
    >
    > Harvest before frost? Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warms up?
    > Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... Even if it's close to frost
    > though, that can't be good?


    The only thing I had to harvest last year, were lemons. It will be 90+
    here all week, so the lemons are safe, for now.

    Becca

  6. #6
    Bryan Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the restof my tomatoes?

    On Oct 10, 5:05*pm, merryb <msg...@juno.com> wrote:
    > On Oct 10, 2:53*pm, "Somebody" <e...@mail.au> wrote:
    >
    > > NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"

    >
    > > Harvest before frost? *Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warms up?
    > > Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... *Even if it's close to frost
    > > though, that can't be good?

    >
    > I'd pick them- they will probably get ripe. I picked a bunch at my
    > Mom's a few weeks ago- she had at least 30 plants. I put them in my
    > kitchen window- some ripened, some kinda rotted. My chickens like the
    > bad ones, so no big loss.


    Harvest the ones that are starting to turn pink, and cover the plants.

    --Bryan

  7. #7
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the restof my tomatoes?

    On Oct 10, 4:30*pm, Bryan <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Oct 10, 5:05*pm, merryb <msg...@juno.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 10, 2:53*pm, "Somebody" <e...@mail.au> wrote:

    >
    > > > NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"

    >
    > > > Harvest before frost? *Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warms up?
    > > > Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... *Even if it's close tofrost
    > > > though, that can't be good?

    >
    > > I'd pick them- they will probably get ripe. I picked a bunch at my
    > > Mom's a few weeks ago- she had at least 30 plants. I put them in my
    > > kitchen window- some ripened, some kinda rotted. My chickens like the
    > > bad ones, so no big loss.

    >
    > Harvest the ones that are starting to turn pink, and cover the plants.
    >
    > --Bryan


    Depending on the variety, even some of the green ones will ripen.
    Covering here in the PNW doesn't work with all the rain we usually
    get- just better to yank them out.

  8. #8
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the restof my tomatoes?

    On Oct 10, 3:46*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:05:36 -0700 (PDT), merryb <msg...@juno.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Oct 10, 2:53 pm, "Somebody" <e...@mail.au> wrote:
    > >> NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"

    >
    > >> Harvest before frost? Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warmsup?
    > >> Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... Even if it's close to frost
    > >> though, that can't be good?

    >
    > >I'd pick them- they will probably get ripe. I picked a bunch at my
    > >Mom's a few weeks ago- she had at least 30 plants. I put them in my
    > >kitchen window- some ripened, some kinda rotted. My chickens like the
    > >bad ones, so no big loss.

    >
    > Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...


    Thanks for the recipe- if she hasn't pulled the plants out yet, she
    would love this!

  9. #9
    Helpful person Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the restof my tomatoes?

    On Oct 10, 3:46*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >
    > Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...


    Except the green tomatoes that are good fried are green when they are
    ripe, not unripe red ones.

    http://www.richardfisher.com


  10. #10
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:39:49 -0700 (PDT), merryb <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Oct 10, 3:46*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:05:36 -0700 (PDT), merryb <msg...@juno.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >On Oct 10, 2:53 pm, "Somebody" <e...@mail.au> wrote:
    >> >> NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"

    >>
    >> >> Harvest before frost? Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warms up?
    >> >> Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... Even if it's close to frost
    >> >> though, that can't be good?

    >>
    >> >I'd pick them- they will probably get ripe. I picked a bunch at my
    >> >Mom's a few weeks ago- she had at least 30 plants. I put them in my
    >> >kitchen window- some ripened, some kinda rotted. My chickens like the
    >> >bad ones, so no big loss.

    >>
    >> Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.
    >> http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...

    >
    >Thanks for the recipe- if she hasn't pulled the plants out yet, she
    >would love this!


    They'e very easy to make, no special recipe for seasoning but follow
    the brine sloution strength carefully. Also it's best not to use a
    metal cap on the container, make a wooden disk and place a stone on it
    to weigh it down so all the tomatoes are fully submerged.

  11. #11
    merryb Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the restof my tomatoes?

    On Oct 10, 4:57*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:39:49 -0700 (PDT), merryb <msg...@juno.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >On Oct 10, 3:46 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > >> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 15:05:36 -0700 (PDT), merryb <msg...@juno.com>
    > >> wrote:

    >
    > >> >On Oct 10, 2:53 pm, "Somebody" <e...@mail.au> wrote:
    > >> >> NWS says "areas of frost after 3am"

    >
    > >> >> Harvest before frost? Leave them and let them maybe grow when it warms up?
    > >> >> Maybe it won't frost here, being the city... Even if it's close to frost
    > >> >> though, that can't be good?

    >
    > >> >I'd pick them- they will probably get ripe. I picked a bunch at my
    > >> >Mom's a few weeks ago- she had at least 30 plants. I put them in my
    > >> >kitchen window- some ripened, some kinda rotted. My chickens like the
    > >> >bad ones, so no big loss.

    >
    > >> Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.
    > >>http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick....

    >
    > >Thanks for the recipe- if she hasn't pulled the plants out yet, she
    > >would love this!

    >
    > They'e very easy to make, no special recipe for seasoning but follow
    > the brine sloution strength carefully. *Also it's best not to use a
    > metal cap on the container, make a wooden disk and place a stone on it
    > to weigh it down so all the tomatoes are fully submerged.


    I sent her the recipe, and I have 2 different crocks available if the
    tomatoes still are. We are expecting rain here on Friday- it has not
    rained here for about 80 days!

  12. #12
    Somebody Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    "Chemo" <bhansen[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..

    You're the farmer...you should know.

    ---

    I'm not a farmer... but I have gone on holiday by mistake.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD2P9Px3enI



  13. #13
    Somebody Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    "Helpful person" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    On Oct 10, 3:46 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >
    > Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent
    > pickled.http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...


    Except the green tomatoes that are good fried are green when they are
    ripe, not unripe red ones.
    ---

    I remember my dad picking them when I was growing up, and he'd put them in
    the basement, and the green ones would eventually turn red.





  14. #14
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    Helpful person wrote:
    >Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>
    >> Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.
    >> http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...

    >
    >Except the green tomatoes that are good fried are green when they are
    >ripe, not unripe red ones.


    Idiot.

  15. #15
    projectile vomit chick Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the restof my tomatoes?

    On Oct 10, 6:56*pm, Helpful person <rrl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > On Oct 10, 3:46*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...

    >
    > Except the green tomatoes that are good fried are green when they are
    > ripe, not unripe red ones.


    Huh?

  16. #16
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    projectile vomit chick wrote:
    >Helpful Asshole wrote:
    >>Brooklyn1 wrote:
    >>
    >> > Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...

    >>
    >> Except the green tomatoes that are good fried are green when they are
    >> ripe, not unripe red ones.

    >
    >Huh?


    What to expect from a Helpful Asshole... green miasma flatulence!

  17. #17
    George M. Middius Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    Shoulda Coulda wrote:

    > projectile vomit chick wrote:
    > What to expect from a Helpful Asshole... green miasma flatulence!


    She calls herself a "chick", Shells. Why aren't you demanding proof
    that she is a "she"? If she's boobying under false pretenses, you
    should have her liquidated.



  18. #18
    sf Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:56:21 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Oct 10, 6:56*pm, Helpful person <rrl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > On Oct 10, 3:46*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > > Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...

    > >
    > > Except the green tomatoes that are good fried are green when they are
    > > ripe, not unripe red ones.

    >
    > Huh?


    Someone else (or maybe it was HP) has said the same thing here in the
    past and that was my reaction too.

    --
    I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

  19. #19
    Gary Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest ofmy tomatoes?

    sf wrote:
    >
    > On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:56:21 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 10, 6:56 pm, Helpful person <rrl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > > On Oct 10, 3:46 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > > Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...
    > > >
    > > > Except the green tomatoes that are good fried are green when they are
    > > > ripe, not unripe red ones.

    > >
    > > Huh?

    >
    > Someone else (or maybe it was HP) has said the same thing here in the
    > past and that was my reaction too.
    >


    That's not true. I've cooked "fried green tomatoes" before. They were
    unripened red ones at end of season. Sliced thick, battered and fried they
    were delicious and just like doing that with any squash.

    G.

  20. #20
    Brooklyn1 Guest

    Default Re: 35 degrees tonight-frost likely... When should I harvest the rest of my tomatoes?

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 17:37:38 -0400, Gary <[email protected]> wrote:

    >sf wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:56:21 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > On Oct 10, 6:56 pm, Helpful person <rrl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> > > On Oct 10, 3:46 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
    >> > >
    >> > >
    >> > >
    >> > > > Green tomatoes are very good fried... also excellent pickled.http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...en-tomato-pick...
    >> > >
    >> > > Except the green tomatoes that are good fried are green when they are
    >> > > ripe, not unripe red ones.
    >> >
    >> > Huh?

    >>
    >> Someone else (or maybe it was HP) has said the same thing here in the
    >> past and that was my reaction too.
    >>

    >
    >That's not true. I've cooked "fried green tomatoes" before. They were
    >unripened red ones at end of season. Sliced thick, battered and fried they
    >were delicious and just like doing that with any squash.
    >
    >G.


    Typically breaded with cornmeal but any kind of batter or just
    seasoned bread crumbs. There do exist tomatoes that ripen green, and
    all sorts of colors (brown, purple, orange, yellow, etc.), but fried
    tomatoes and pickled tomatoes require unripened tomatoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32