Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: 10lbs of Chitterlings

  1. #1
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default 10lbs of Chitterlings

    Now what?

    -sw

  2. #2
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:56:29 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    > Now what?


    Boil in bleach? Ewww. Are they serious? Can't I just eat them
    raw?!?

  3. #3
    Pinstripe Sniper Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Now what?
    >-sw


    Wow, that's a lot of chit!


    PsS

    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    A fictional account of how to drastically reform the financial world...
    More at http://PinstripeSniper.blogspot.com and if that gets banned, check
    www.PinstripeSniper.com

  4. #4
    Food SnobŪ Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Aug 5, 8:22*am, veryso...@nocando.com (Pinstripe Sniper) wrote:
    > Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > >Now what?
    > >-sw

    >
    > Wow, that's a lot of chit!


    I'd almost say, "Full of chit." Think about what they used to be full
    of. Bon appetit.
    >
    > PsS
    >


    --Bryan

  5. #5
    notbob Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On 2010-08-05, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Now what?


    Ya' clean 'em!!

    Seriously, I learned from an Alabama gal. You let them defrost,
    setting them aside a couple HOURS/DAYs till completely defrosted.
    Then you start cleaning.

    This is a pig's asspipe we're talkin' 'bout, so you gotta be thorough.
    Get ALL the poopy out, scraped off by yer own bitten-to-the-quick
    fingernails if necessary. I'd toss the actual sphincter (a couple per
    bucket), they being jes too hard to get completely clean. Let it all
    soak in cold running water, the "before", "during", and "after"
    asspipe cleaning. When you think you have it clean enough ....about
    an hour's work per 5lbs.... and have gone outside to breath some
    uncontaminated air, get ready to cook.

    Cooking is brain dead simple. Big pot, 10qt min, and lotsa water.
    Open all windows in the house. It won't make much difference in the
    smell, but will allow the necessary exchange of oxygen you need to
    survive the long cooking process. Peel two big onions and halve them
    and add a couple cloves of garlic. Throw the whole mess in the pot
    and simmer for 3-4 hrs. Salt as needed.

    When done, even if you have cleaned them chitlin's to a chrome clean
    brightness, the house will reek! Not quite straight **** smell, but a
    kinda bizarre unknown garlicy/onion essence of pig poopy smell. Never
    mind. Comes with the territory. No matter. Ladle out a drained
    serving of the cooked chitlins on a plate and serve with some good hot
    sauce like Tobasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce and some collard greens.
    Sure, you'll think you are gonna swoon from the reeking stench of
    boiled doody, but wait!.... what great texture. Very chewy and meaty
    like. What a great taste! Very pork like. Hey, damn!!... this is
    freakin' great!

    Truth be told, if you enjoy food, you'll be fighting over that last
    serving in the bottom of the pot with some other crazed chitlin'
    freak. "It's mine! I cleaned 'em!" "No me, I have a gun" ....etc.

    An old Southern saying is, you know the one's you really trust.
    You'll eat their chitlins.

    Enjoy =D
    nb




  6. #6
    The Ranger Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    notbob <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:PbB6o.57900$[email protected]..
    > On 2010-08-05, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Now what?

    >
    > Ya' clean 'em!!
    >
    > Seriously, I learned from an Alabama gal. You let them defrost,
    > setting them aside a couple HOURS/DAYs till completely defrosted.
    > Then you start cleaning.
    >
    > This is a pig's asspipe we're talkin' 'bout, so you gotta be thorough.
    > Get ALL the poopy out, scraped off by yer own bitten-to-the-quick
    > fingernails if necessary. I'd toss the actual sphincter (a couple per
    > bucket), they being jes too hard to get completely clean. Let it all
    > soak in cold running water, the "before", "during", and "after"
    > asspipe cleaning. When you think you have it clean enough ....about
    > an hour's work per 5lbs.... and have gone outside to breath some
    > uncontaminated air, get ready to cook.
    >
    > Cooking is brain dead simple. Big pot, 10qt min, and lotsa water.
    > Open all windows in the house. It won't make much difference in the
    > smell, but will allow the necessary exchange of oxygen you need to
    > survive the long cooking process. Peel two big onions and halve them
    > and add a couple cloves of garlic. Throw the whole mess in the pot
    > and simmer for 3-4 hrs. Salt as needed.
    >
    > When done, even if you have cleaned them chitlin's to a chrome clean
    > brightness, the house will reek! Not quite straight **** smell, but a
    > kinda bizarre unknown garlicy/onion essence of pig poopy smell. Never
    > mind. Comes with the territory. No matter. Ladle out a drained
    > serving of the cooked chitlins on a plate and serve with some good hot
    > sauce like Tobasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce and some collard greens.
    > Sure, you'll think you are gonna swoon from the reeking stench of
    > boiled doody, but wait!.... what great texture. Very chewy and meaty
    > like. What a great taste! Very pork like. Hey, damn!!... this is
    > freakin' great!
    >
    > Truth be told, if you enjoy food, you'll be fighting over that last
    > serving in the bottom of the pot with some other crazed chitlin'
    > freak. "It's mine! I cleaned 'em!" "No me, I have a gun" ....etc.
    >
    > An old Southern saying is, you know the one's you really trust.
    > You'll eat their chitlins.


    Nice summation! I'll be keeping this for a good read every time I need a
    long, belly-achin' laugh.

    Thanks, nb.

    The Ranger



  7. #7
    blake murphy Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:56:29 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    > Now what?
    >
    > -sw


    probably lots of gut-washing.

    your pal,
    blake

  8. #8
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 15:57:35 GMT, notbob wrote:

    > On 2010-08-05, Sqwertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Now what?

    >
    > Ya' clean 'em!!
    >
    > Seriously, I learned from an Alabama gal. You let them defrost,
    > setting them aside a couple HOURS/DAYs till completely defrosted.
    > Then you start cleaning.
    >
    > This is a pig's asspipe we're talkin' 'bout, so you gotta be thorough.
    > Get ALL the poopy out, scraped off by yer own bitten-to-the-quick
    > fingernails if necessary. I'd toss the actual sphincter (a couple per
    > bucket), they being jes too hard to get completely clean. Let it all
    > soak in cold running water, the "before", "during", and "after"
    > asspipe cleaning. When you think you have it clean enough ....about
    > an hour's work per 5lbs.... and have gone outside to breath some
    > uncontaminated air, get ready to cook.
    >
    > Cooking is brain dead simple. Big pot, 10qt min, and lotsa water.
    > Open all windows in the house. It won't make much difference in the
    > smell, but will allow the necessary exchange of oxygen you need to
    > survive the long cooking process. Peel two big onions and halve them
    > and add a couple cloves of garlic. Throw the whole mess in the pot
    > and simmer for 3-4 hrs. Salt as needed.
    >
    > When done, even if you have cleaned them chitlin's to a chrome clean
    > brightness, the house will reek! Not quite straight **** smell, but a
    > kinda bizarre unknown garlicy/onion essence of pig poopy smell. Never
    > mind. Comes with the territory. No matter. Ladle out a drained
    > serving of the cooked chitlins on a plate and serve with some good hot
    > sauce like Tobasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce and some collard greens.
    > Sure, you'll think you are gonna swoon from the reeking stench of
    > boiled doody, but wait!.... what great texture. Very chewy and meaty
    > like. What a great taste! Very pork like. Hey, damn!!... this is
    > freakin' great!
    >
    > Truth be told, if you enjoy food, you'll be fighting over that last
    > serving in the bottom of the pot with some other crazed chitlin'
    > freak. "It's mine! I cleaned 'em!" "No me, I have a gun" ....etc.
    >
    > An old Southern saying is, you know the one's you really trust.
    > You'll eat their chitlins.


    Thanks for the vivid description. I've never seen pig ****, but
    assuming it's brown just like all the other **** I've seen and not
    transparent, then these appear to be pretty clean already. and
    there's a lot of water in the package indicating that they may
    have had a pressure washer up the ass (I probably paid for 2lbs of
    frozen water judging by the package).

    Does it smell worse than beef tripe?

    I don't see anything thick and hard in the package indicating bung
    material. The package is about 1" thick x 12" square. It's hard
    to tell what shape they're in - they don't appear to be
    cut/chopped. Could they be used as sausage casings? I have seen
    something that appears to be whole intestines used as sausage
    casings in Vietnamese delis (The infamous "Naturally Stuffed
    Sausages" from ba.food).

    See:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/ba.food/browse_thread/thread/13cfc738d860bc1f/89805cf250c145dc>

    -sw

  9. #9
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:19:01 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    > these appear to be pretty clean already. and
    > there's a lot of water in the package indicating that they may
    > have had a pressure washer up the ass (I probably paid for 2lbs of
    > frozen water judging by the package).


    I should also note that these say "Ready to cook", if that means
    anything. They cost 6.96. Looks like they may only be 5lbs (only
    half the smell of 10lbs worth). Without going downstairs, thats
    probably right.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/23748404@N00/73025009/
    (Not my photo)

    "No bleaches, additives, preservatives". So much for a free Teeth
    Whitening treatment.

    -sw

  10. #10
    Roy Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Aug 5, 12:25*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:19:01 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    > > these appear to be pretty clean already. *and
    > > there's a lot of water in the package indicating that they may
    > > have had a pressure washer up the ass (I probably paid for 2lbs of
    > > frozen water judging by the package).

    >
    > I should also note that these say "Ready to cook", if that means
    > anything. *They cost 6.96. *Looks like they may only be 5lbs (only
    > half the smell of 10lbs worth). *Without going downstairs, thats
    > probably right.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/23748404@N00/73025009/
    > (Not my photo)
    >
    > "No bleaches, additives, preservatives". *So much for a free Teeth
    > Whitening treatment.
    >
    > -sw


    ==
    If you search via Yahoo, you will find out all about "chitterlings". I
    worked at a packing plant once and worked in the "casings room". Very
    educational...mostly women worked there but a few men as well. Hot
    steamy and odoriferous conditions...when you finished your shift you
    had to shower before venturing forth or people would avoid you like
    the plague. Most of the production where I worked was geared to
    producing casings mainly for export to Europe and for the smaller
    domestic market as well.
    ==

  11. #11
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:56:29 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

    > Now what?



    I did it. I posted a "before" photo in alt.binaries.food, but here's the
    followup post.

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:52:55 +0200, Gerardus wrote:

    > Nice start !


    How would you know? You eat these things? That's gross!

    I'll spare y'all the after photos. For now at least - I still have half a
    serving left which I'll try pan frying in butter.

    They weren't bad. I certainly wouldn't buy them uncleaned. The 5lb bag
    ($6.50) cooks down to less than a pound.

    <http://blog.wfmu.org/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/23/chitterlings.jpg>

    "Super clean, just rinse (a zillion times), cook, and eat."
    (My bag says "Cleaned 3 Times" instead of "superclean").

    After simmering for 3 hours, I just drained and tossed half the portion
    with Pure Labuyo, salt, and a little "cajun seasoning" and ate. Nice
    texture, but no taste. I think I used half the bottle of labayo.

    Would I do it again? Nah. I would rather have cow muscles for that price.
    But I'd certainly eat them on a double dog dare, and maybe even if I saw
    them on the menu someplace.

    -sw

  12. #12
    itsjoannotjoann Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Aug 13, 2:21*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:56:29 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    > *
    >
    > Would I do it again? *Nah. *I would rather have cow muscles for that price.
    > But I'd certainly eat them on a double dog dare, and maybe even if I saw
    > them on the menu someplace.
    >
    > -sw
    >
    >

    I tasted them _once_ and that was enough for 5 lifetimes. After
    hearing the blacks at work getting excited and smacking their lips
    over pig guts I asked one to bring me a small, verrrrrrrry small
    container of these. I drowned them, as advised by one, in Louisiana
    hot sauce; they were swimming in the stuff. Did n-o-t help in the
    least, nothing can kill that **** taste.

    Cooking, they smell like very ripe roadkill.


  13. #13
    Peterl. Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    itsjoannotjoann <[email protected]> wrote in news:06ca7a47-b330-4108-
    [email protected]:

    > I tasted them _once_ and that was enough for 5 lifetimes. After
    > hearing the blacks at work getting excited and smacking their lips
    > over pig guts I asked one to bring me a small, verrrrrrrry small
    > container of these. I drowned them, as advised by one, in Louisiana
    > hot sauce; they were swimming in the stuff. Did n-o-t help in the
    > least, nothing can kill that **** taste.
    >




    Yep, that sounds exactly like something spurtz would enjoy.


    --
    Peter Lucas
    Brisbane
    Australia

    Fact of Life:

    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says... W T F ?

  14. #14
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:39:22 -0700 (PDT), itsjoannotjoann wrote:

    > Cooking, they smell like very ripe roadkill.


    I didn't think that at all. And they didn't taste like they smelled.

    If they smelled like ripe roadkill, then maybe they were and these guys
    just had a good laugh at your expense.

    -sw

  15. #15
    Michael \(piedmont\) Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings


    "Sqwertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:56:29 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
    >
    >> Now what?

    >
    >
    > I did it. I posted a "before" photo in alt.binaries.food, but here's the
    > followup post.
    >
    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:52:55 +0200, Gerardus wrote:
    >
    >> Nice start !

    >
    > How would you know? You eat these things? That's gross!
    >
    > I'll spare y'all the after photos. For now at least - I still have half a
    > serving left which I'll try pan frying in butter.
    >
    > They weren't bad. I certainly wouldn't buy them uncleaned. The 5lb bag
    > ($6.50) cooks down to less than a pound.
    >
    > <http://blog.wfmu.org/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/23/chitterlings.jpg>
    >
    > "Super clean, just rinse (a zillion times), cook, and eat."
    > (My bag says "Cleaned 3 Times" instead of "superclean").
    >
    > After simmering for 3 hours, I just drained and tossed half the portion
    > with Pure Labuyo, salt, and a little "cajun seasoning" and ate. Nice
    > texture, but no taste. I think I used half the bottle of labayo.
    >
    > Would I do it again? Nah. I would rather have cow muscles for that
    > price.
    > But I'd certainly eat them on a double dog dare, and maybe even if I saw
    > them on the menu someplace.
    >
    > -sw


    I've gone to the Chitlin Strut Festival in Salley SC, just once and they had
    traditional chitlins as well as deep fried. The fried were bland and I think
    they missed a great chance to spice them up. Deep fried are a little less
    objectionable to eat.

    http://www.chitlinstrut.com/

    Michael (piedmont)


  16. #16
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Aug 5, 9:13*am, Food SnobŪ <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 8:22*am, veryso...@nocando.com (Pinstripe Sniper) wrote:
    >
    > > Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > > >Now what?
    > > >-sw

    >
    > > Wow, that's a lot of chit!

    >
    > I'd almost say, "Full of chit." *Think about what they used to be full
    > of. *Bon appetit.
    >
    >
    >
    > > PsS

    >
    > --Bryan


    Chitterlings are NOT FOOD, they are garbage. Edible garbage, but
    garbage nonetheless.

    John Kuthe...

  17. #17
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:18:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:

    > On Aug 5, 9:13*am, Food SnobŪ <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> On Aug 5, 8:22*am, veryso...@nocando.com (Pinstripe Sniper) wrote:
    >>
    >> I'd almost say, "Full of chit." *Think about what they used to be full
    >> of. *Bon appetit.

    >
    > Chitterlings are NOT FOOD, they are garbage. Edible garbage, but
    > garbage nonetheless.


    Is there any class of people left that you haven't insulted with your
    childish food prejudices? Probably neither of you have ever tasted them.

    How does it make you feel that you (and all the animals you eat) are
    powered by ****?

    -sw

  18. #18
    itsjoannotjoann Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Aug 13, 5:30*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:39:22 -0700 (PDT), itsjoannotjoann wrote:
    > > Cooking, they smell like very ripe roadkill.

    >
    > I didn't think that at all. *And they didn't taste like they smelled.
    >
    > If they smelled like ripe roadkill, then maybe they were and these guys
    > just had a good laugh at your expense.
    >
    > -sw


    >
    >

    After I spit that tiny bit out one of the girls took the small dish
    from me and finished off the guts. She said they were delicious and
    complimented the other girl on how tasty they were.

  19. #19
    John Kuthe Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Aug 14, 4:32*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:18:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:
    > > On Aug 5, 9:13*am, Food SnobŪ <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >> On Aug 5, 8:22*am, veryso...@nocando.com (Pinstripe Sniper) wrote:

    >
    > >> I'd almost say, "Full of chit." *Think about what they used to be full
    > >> of. *Bon appetit.

    >
    > > Chitterlings are NOT FOOD, they are garbage. Edible garbage, but
    > > garbage nonetheless.

    > Is there any class of people left that you haven't insulted with your
    > childish food prejudices? *Probably neither of you have ever tasted them.
    >
    > How does it make you feel that you (and all the animals you eat) are
    > powered by ****?


    Shows how much you know. Animals are not "powered by ****" as you say.
    They (we?) are powered primarily by glucose. Feces or "****" is the
    waste products of food digestion.

    I like eating nice clean muscle tissue, not organ meats. Especially
    not liver (I know what the liver does!) and I'm not particularly fond
    of any other organ meats. Hearts are muscle, albeit tough. And brains
    are right out! Too much FAT!

    Of course if I were starving, I'd eat all but the hair, nails/claws/
    hoofs and bone! But I'm not starving.

    John Kuthe..

  20. #20
    Sqwertz Guest

    Default Re: 10lbs of Chitterlings

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 19:19:49 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:

    > On Aug 14, 4:32*pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
    >
    >> How does it make you feel that you (and all the animals you eat) are
    >> powered by ****?

    >
    > Shows how much you know. Animals are not "powered by ****" as you say.
    > They (we?) are powered primarily by glucose. Feces or "****" is the
    > waste products of food digestion.


    OK, let me put it this way, then: You two are made out of ****.

    That food is being digested and further "harvested" for nutrients all the
    way until it gets to the toilet bowl. So at what point does it become
    ****?

    > Hearts are muscle, albeit tough.


    Hearts are organs made out of muscle tissue. And they're the best eating
    organ out there, cook low and slow wrapped in foil or in broth and they're
    tender, dense, and very meaty tasting.

    -sw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32