Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: TN 2 more 1971s: Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese and EitelsbacherKarthausershofberger BA

  1. #1
    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Default TN 2 more 1971s: Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese and EitelsbacherKarthausershofberger BA

    Both wines had been stored properly since shortly after release, had
    high fills, and had no cork or other issues.

    The Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese 1971, Reichgraf von Kesselstat,
    A.P. Nr. 3561 077-9-73 was a bright medium yellow in color. It had a
    bit of old Riesling petrol character. The fruit and bouquet were
    fairly intense and complex with traces of mineral and citric
    character. Although this is a very good 1971 auslese that is still
    holding very well, it was not in the class of the 1971 Wehlener
    Sonnenuhr long gold capsule from J.J. Prum - but that hardly is a fair
    comparison.

    The Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger Beerenauslese 1971 (Werner
    Tyrell), A.P. Nr. 3561 303/14/72, was intense gold in color and had
    extreme intensity of bouquet and taste. There was a bit of old
    Riesling petrol character. The fruit was a very complex mixture of
    white fruits. The bouquet had hints of honey, flowers, and herbs.
    There was a bit of mineral character. The wine has great sweetness,
    but it is well balanced by acid and intense bouquet and taste. Ruwers
    sometimes are described as light and delicate, but there is nothing
    light or delicate about this wine. Tasted blind, I likely would agree
    with you if you said it was a TBA.


  2. #2
    DaleW Guest

    Default Re: TN 2 more 1971s: Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese andEitelsbacher Karthausershofberger BA

    On Apr 12, 2:03*am, cwdjrxyz <spamtr...@cwdjr.info> wrote:
    > Both wines had been stored properly since shortly after release, had
    > high fills, and had no cork or other issues.
    >
    > The Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese 1971, Reichgraf *von Kesselstat,
    > A.P. Nr. 3561 077-9-73 was a bright medium yellow in color. It had a
    > bit of old Riesling petrol character. The fruit and bouquet were
    > fairly intense and complex with traces of mineral and citric
    > character. Although this is a very good 1971 auslese that is still
    > holding very well, it was not in the class of the 1971 Wehlener
    > Sonnenuhr long gold capsule from J.J. Prum - but that hardly is a fair
    > comparison.
    >
    > The Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger Beerenauslese 1971 (Werner
    > Tyrell), A.P. Nr. 3561 303/14/72, was intense gold in color and had
    > extreme intensity of bouquet and taste. There was a bit of old
    > Riesling petrol character. The fruit was a very complex mixture of
    > white fruits. The bouquet had hints of honey, flowers, and herbs.
    > There was a bit of mineral character. The wine has great sweetness,
    > but it is well balanced by acid and intense bouquet and taste. Ruwers
    > sometimes are described as light and delicate, but there is nothing
    > light or delicate about this wine. Tasted blind, I likely would agree
    > with you if you said it was a TBA.


    Thanks as always for notes. Tyrell is new producer to me.

  3. #3
    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Default Re: TN 2 more 1971s: Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese andEitelsbacher Karthausershofberger BA

    On Apr 12, 12:09*pm, DaleW <Dwmi...@aol.com> wrote:
    > On Apr 12, 2:03*am, cwdjrxyz <spamtr...@cwdjr.info> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Both wines had been stored properly since shortly after release, had
    > > high fills, and had no cork or other issues.

    >
    > > The Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese 1971, Reichgraf *von Kesselstat,
    > > A.P. Nr. 3561 077-9-73 was a bright medium yellow in color. It had a
    > > bit of old Riesling petrol character. The fruit and bouquet were
    > > fairly intense and complex with traces of mineral and citric
    > > character. Although this is a very good 1971 auslese that is still
    > > holding very well, it was not in the class of the 1971 Wehlener
    > > Sonnenuhr long gold capsule from J.J. Prum - but that hardly is a fair
    > > comparison.

    >
    > > The Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger Beerenauslese 1971 (Werner
    > > Tyrell), A.P. Nr. 3561 303/14/72, was intense gold in color and had
    > > extreme intensity of bouquet and taste. There was a bit of old
    > > Riesling petrol character. The fruit was a very complex mixture of
    > > white fruits. The bouquet had hints of honey, flowers, and herbs.
    > > There was a bit of mineral character. The wine has great sweetness,
    > > but it is well balanced by acid and intense bouquet and taste. Ruwers
    > > sometimes are described as light and delicate, but there is nothing
    > > light or delicate about this wine. Tasted blind, I likely would agree
    > > with you if you said it was a TBA.

    >
    > Thanks as always for notes. Tyrell is new producer to me


    Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger is a monopoly site of the Tyrell
    family. Thus, unless the estate has changed hands since about 1998
    when my reference book was published, all of this wine is from the
    Tyrell family, and often people do not bother to list the owner just
    as in the case of Schloss Johannisberger. Werner Tyrell was listed on
    the label of my wine. I don't know if Werner Tyrell is still alive and
    active in the business of the estate.


  4. #4
    Mark Lipton Guest

    Default Re: TN 2 more 1971s: Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese and EitelsbacherKarthausershofberger BA

    On 4/12/10 1:28 PM, cwdjrxyz wrote:

    > Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger is a monopoly site of the Tyrell
    > family. Thus, unless the estate has changed hands since about 1998
    > when my reference book was published, all of this wine is from the
    > Tyrell family, and often people do not bother to list the owner just
    > as in the case of Schloss Johannisberger. Werner Tyrell was listed on
    > the label of my wine. I don't know if Werner Tyrell is still alive and
    > active in the business of the estate.


    It is still in the Tyrell family, but has been run by Werner's son
    Christoph since 1986. I don't know if Werner is still alive and active
    or not. More information can be had here:

    http://www.thewinedoctor.com/germany...auserhof.shtml

    BTW, they also run a B&B at their estate:

    http://www.karthaeuserhof-tyrell.de/

    Mark Lipton

    --
    alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

  5. #5
    Anders TÝrneskog Guest

    Default Re: TN 2 more 1971s: Piesporter Goldtropfchen Auslese and Eitelsbacher Karthausershofberger BA


    "Mark Lipton" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:hpvp8r$qe2$[email protected]..
    > It is still in the Tyrell family, but has been run by Werner's son
    > Christoph since 1986. I don't know if Werner is still alive and active or
    > not. More information can be had here:
    >
    > http://www.thewinedoctor.com/germany...auserhof.shtml
    >

    What is less well known today is that Werner Tyrell had to step down as
    honorary president of the German Winemakers association and that the estate
    was expelled from VDP for a few years, due to his part in the wine forgeries
    scandals of the 1970'ies (illegal adding of sugars). Over 2000 wineries
    were involved with these unlawful practices during that time...

    And this is why Christoph took over - to save the estate - and he did a good
    job. (I seem to recall that he is/was a lawyer by profession)

    I've had the feeling, however, that the quality has suffered somewhat
    lately. 2002 and 2003 were uniformly good, later vintages more uneven.

    Anders



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32