Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Spitting

  1. #1
    [email protected] Guest

    Default Spitting

    I have to curtail my alcohol intake for health reasons. But I still
    love the taste of wine. Is it ever permissible to spit (into a
    separate glass, of course) in a fine restaurant? I seem to recall a
    couple decades ago seeing a Japanese guy at John Ash in Napa doing
    this. Can I do this at Per Se in NY?

  2. #2
    DaleW Guest

    Default Re: Spitting

    On Jun 18, 8:42*am, "nickra...@gmail.com" <nickr...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I have to curtail my alcohol intake for health reasons. But I still
    > love the taste of wine. Is it ever permissible to spit (into a
    > separate glass, of course) in a fine restaurant? I seem to recall a
    > couple decades ago seeing a Japanese guy at John Ash in Napa doing
    > this. Can I do this at Per Se in NY?


    I'd just quietly say to waiter " I need to limit my intake, but wish
    to taste the wines. Could I please have an empty coffeecup or mug
    please?"
    Easy to quietly spit (and ceramic is better than glass, you don't want
    a glass of foamy ex-wine on table).
    Enjoy your meal!

  3. #3
    Steve Slatcher Guest

    Default Re: Spitting

    On 18/06/2010 13:52, DaleW wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 8:42 am, "nickra...@gmail.com"<nickr...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I have to curtail my alcohol intake for health reasons. But I still
    >> love the taste of wine. Is it ever permissible to spit (into a
    >> separate glass, of course) in a fine restaurant? I seem to recall a
    >> couple decades ago seeing a Japanese guy at John Ash in Napa doing
    >> this. Can I do this at Per Se in NY?

    >
    > I'd just quietly say to waiter " I need to limit my intake, but wish
    > to taste the wines. Could I please have an empty coffeecup or mug
    > please?"
    > Easy to quietly spit (and ceramic is better than glass, you don't want
    > a glass of foamy ex-wine on table).
    > Enjoy your meal!


    Or you could take your own spitton. You can get small plastics ones:
    http://www.barparts.com/Wine-Tasting...oons-P443.aspx
    Not a gopd idea to spit into anything made of glass.

    As to how acceptable it is... I am not sure. I think the only think to
    do is to ask when you book.

    --
    www.winenous.co.uk

  4. #4
    Dick N Guest

    Default Re: Spitting

    On Jun 18, 8:42*am, "nickra...@gmail.com" <nickr...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I have to curtail my alcohol intake for health reasons. But I still
    > love the taste of wine. Is it ever permissible to spit (into a
    > separate glass, of course) in a fine restaurant? I seem to recall a
    > couple decades ago seeing a Japanese guy at John Ash in Napa doing
    > this. Can I do this at Per Se in NY?


    If they are the type of establishment that has a spitoon for chewing
    tobacco its ok. Otherwise, NOT!

  5. #5
    Retta Guest

    Default Re: Spitting

    On Jun 18, 5:42*am, "nickra...@gmail.com" <nickr...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I have to curtail my alcohol intake for health reasons. But I still
    > love the taste of wine. Is it ever permissible to spit (into a
    > separate glass, of course) in a fine restaurant? I seem to recall a
    > couple decades ago seeing a Japanese guy at John Ash in Napa doing
    > this. Can I do this at Per Se in NY?


    Do you have to ELIMINATE alcohol, or just LIMIT? If you just need to
    limit, would it not be acceptable to SAVOR one glass of wine with
    dinner? I think that would be way more acceptable than spitting.

    http://cabernetvineyards.org/categor...erve-cabernet/

  6. #6
    Mike Tommasi Guest

    Default Re: Spitting

    On 04/07/2010 0:54, Retta wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 5:42 am, "nickra...@gmail.com"<nickr...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I have to curtail my alcohol intake for health reasons. But I still
    >> love the taste of wine. Is it ever permissible to spit (into a
    >> separate glass, of course) in a fine restaurant? I seem to recall a
    >> couple decades ago seeing a Japanese guy at John Ash in Napa doing
    >> this. Can I do this at Per Se in NY?

    >
    > Do you have to ELIMINATE alcohol, or just LIMIT? If you just need to
    > limit, would it not be acceptable to SAVOR one glass of wine with
    > dinner? I think that would be way more acceptable than spitting.
    >


    Why not just smell the wine? Even without drinking or sipping, you are
    getting at least 60% of the wine's sensations, all the rest is pretty
    well "transport" layer stuff, to use a telecommunications analogy.

    --
    Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
    email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

  7. #7
    Mark Lipton Guest

    Default Re: Spitting

    On 7/4/10 2:33 AM, Mike Tommasi wrote:

    > Why not just smell the wine? Even without drinking or sipping, you are
    > getting at least 60% of the wine's sensations, all the rest is pretty
    > well "transport" layer stuff, to use a telecommunications analogy.
    >


    Hmmm... can you come up with an OSI model for wine, Mike? :P

    Mark Lipton


    --
    alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

  8. #8
    DaleW Guest

    Default Re: Spitting

    On Jul 4, 2:33*am, Mike Tommasi <nob...@tommasi.org> wrote:
    > On 04/07/2010 0:54, Retta wrote:
    >
    > > On Jun 18, 5:42 am, "nickra...@gmail.com"<nickr...@gmail.com> *wrote:
    > >> I have to curtail my alcohol intake for health reasons. But I still
    > >> love the taste of wine. Is it ever permissible to spit (into a
    > >> separate glass, of course) in a fine restaurant? I seem to recall a
    > >> couple decades ago seeing a Japanese guy at John Ash in Napa doing
    > >> this. Can I do this at Per Se in NY?

    >
    > > Do you have to ELIMINATE alcohol, or just LIMIT? *If you just need to
    > > limit, would it not be acceptable to SAVOR one glass of wine with
    > > dinner? *I think that would be way more acceptable than spitting.

    >
    > Why not just smell the wine? Even without drinking or sipping, you are
    > getting at least 60% of the wine's sensations, all the rest is pretty
    > well "transport" layer stuff, to use a telecommunications analogy.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
    > email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail


    While most of wine's sensations are smelled rather than tasted, one
    experiences retronasal smells differently than sniffing, so personally
    I've found just sniffing not really satisfactory.

    As to acceptablilty, my city group has dined at lots of upper end
    places and there is always someone spitting discretely. No problems at
    Gotham, BLT, Triomphe, Montrachet (RIP),DB, Bouley, etc. They always
    been fine with it (and us returning). Of course one doesn't spit
    directly in a bucket as at a tasting room (hence my coffee cup
    suggestion).

    of course, it's always best not to use the word spit:
    http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_s...tn_347014.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32