Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Historical XIXth century wine

  1. #1
    Yves Guest

    Default Historical XIXth century wine

    Dear all,

    while strolling through the wine department in a major supermarket, I
    noticed a wooden case containing "Historical XIXth Century wine", sold for a
    whopping 169,00 EUR/bottle.

    It was a non-vintage "vin de pays" (!), with a label resembling Château
    Palmer's bottlings. In fact, it is "made by Palmer".

    I found out that Palmer had decided to produce a few hundred cases of wines
    made like in the 19th century... by adding 13% Syrah (Hermitage...) to the
    usual Cab/Merlot blend. The grapes were apparently from the 2004 vintage.

    While this is most certainly a curiosity for wealthy trophy hunters, I just
    wanted to ask if any of you ever tasted this wine and what your impressions
    were, especially vs. a "regular" Ch. Palmer?

    Regards

    Yves



  2. #2
    James Silverton Guest

    Default Re: Historical XIXth century wine

    Yves wrote on Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:48:03 +0100:

    > while strolling through the wine department in a major
    > supermarket, I noticed a wooden case containing "Historical
    > XIXth Century wine", sold for a whopping 169,00 EUR/bottle.


    > It was a non-vintage "vin de pays" (!), with a label
    > resembling Château Palmer's bottlings. In fact, it is "made by
    > Palmer".


    > I found out that Palmer had decided to produce a few hundred
    > cases of wines made like in the 19th century... by adding 13% Syrah
    > (Hermitage...) to the usual Cab/Merlot blend. The grapes
    > were apparently from the 2004 vintage.


    Time travel perhaps? Otherwise, it's a massive fraud :-)

    I wish I could compare a 19th century wine in good condition with a
    21st. I don't suppose any 20th century wines are being preserved in
    cryo-storage for future generations are they?


    > While this is most certainly a curiosity for wealthy trophy
    > hunters, I just wanted to ask if any of you ever tasted this
    > wine and what your impressions were, especially vs. a
    > "regular" Ch. Palmer?


    > Regards




    --

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not


  3. #3
    Mark Lipton Guest

    Default Re: Historical XIXth century wine

    On 11/19/10 3:48 AM, Yves wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > while strolling through the wine department in a major supermarket, I
    > noticed a wooden case containing "Historical XIXth Century wine", sold for a
    > whopping 169,00 EUR/bottle.
    >
    > It was a non-vintage "vin de pays" (!), with a label resembling Château
    > Palmer's bottlings. In fact, it is "made by Palmer".
    >
    > I found out that Palmer had decided to produce a few hundred cases of wines
    > made like in the 19th century... by adding 13% Syrah (Hermitage...) to the
    > usual Cab/Merlot blend. The grapes were apparently from the 2004 vintage.
    >
    > While this is most certainly a curiosity for wealthy trophy hunters, I just
    > wanted to ask if any of you ever tasted this wine and what your impressions
    > were, especially vs. a "regular" Ch. Palmer?


    Yves,
    I have not had the wine in question, but others have. See, for example:

    http://wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34325

    Mark Lipton

    --
    alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

  4. #4
    Mark Lipton Guest

    Default Re: Historical XIXth century wine

    On 11/19/10 10:20 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:

    > Yves,
    > I have not had the wine in question, but others have. See, for example:
    >
    > http://wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34325


    There are also plenty of notes on it on Cellartracker:

    http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=470097

    Mark Lipton

    --
    alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

  5. #5
    DaleW Guest

    Default Re: Historical XIXth century wine

    On Nov 19, 10:22*am, Mark Lipton <not...@eudrup.ude> wrote:
    > On 11/19/10 10:20 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
    >
    > > Yves,
    > > * I have not had the wine in question, but others have. *See, for example:

    >
    > >http://wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34325

    >
    > There are also plenty of notes on it on Cellartracker:
    >
    > http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=470097
    >
    > Mark Lipton
    >
    > --
    > alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net


    there's even a brief note on it here,
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...781831f96f3d8b

    I think the one I had was L2004 (it's NV as the Syrah makes it VdT), I
    think there's been a newer release

  6. #6
    Mark Lipton Guest

    Default Re: Historical XIXth century wine

    DaleW wrote:

    > there's even a brief note on it here,
    > http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...781831f96f3d8b
    >
    > I think the one I had was L2004 (it's NV as the Syrah makes it VdT), I
    > think there's been a newer release


    D'Oh! How soon they forget, Dale. And that note comes with far better
    provenance than the ones I posted ;-)

    Mark Lipton

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32