Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

  1. #1
    lleichtman Guest

    Default Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

    Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
    includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

  2. #2
    Mark Lipton Guest

    Default Re: Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

    lleichtman wrote:
    > Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
    > includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.


    No experience, Larry, but if you list the wineries, I (and St. H. among
    others) can give you some feedback. The Hunter isn't a very large place
    and there aren't that many wineries there.

    Mark Lipton

  3. #3
    Joseph Coulter Guest

    Default Re: Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

    Tay does a good job. I have taken their tour. From clients feedback
    you might look at Three fat Blokes in Pokolbin. or talk to a
    professional :-)On Wed, 30 May 2012 22:50:43 -0400, Mark Lipton
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >lleichtman wrote:
    >> Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
    >> includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

    >
    >No experience, Larry, but if you list the wineries, I (and St. H. among
    >others) can give you some feedback. The Hunter isn't a very large place
    >and there aren't that many wineries there.
    >
    >Mark Lipton

    Joseph Coulter
    J&B Journeys
    www.josephcoulter.com
    [email protected]
    904 685 5317

  4. #4
    Joseph Coulter Guest

    Default Re: Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

    On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:46:23 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
    >includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

    Larry, really I do know the Hunter area (and NSW in general) If I
    don't have an answer I know the people who do. As far as wine tours
    since the only people who pay commission these days arethe big bus
    tour guys, and I do not advocate for their use, I am not really giving
    away the staoreas my wife puts it when giving advice on these
    matters, so I do not rally have an agenda.

    As Mark said the area isn't large, but I would still advise a guide if
    for no other reason that it is someone to drive in a rural area with
    poorly marked roads (If you do drive get a GPS)

    Since you are looking at Ray Andrews Boutique Wine you must be staying
    in Sydney. In that case it is a longish day. I would prefer myself to
    spend some tme in the Hunter. There is a nice botanical garden there
    and by getting out of the city you have a chance to encounter the
    world famous wildlife of Australia first hand. I have seen parrot type
    birds wild in Sydney but not so much the kangaroo and wallaby(unless
    you count dthe excellent Taronga Zoo as "wild".
    Joseph Coulter
    J&B Journeys
    www.jandbjourneys.com
    [email protected]
    904 685 5317

  5. #5
    lleichtman Guest

    Default Re: Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

    On Jun 1, 5:58*am, Joseph Coulter <see...@below.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:46:23 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
    >
    > <larryleicht...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
    > >includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

    >
    > Larry, really I do know the Hunter area (and NSW in general) If I
    > don't have an answer I know the people who do. As far as wine tours
    > since the only people who pay commission these days arethe big bus
    > tour guys, and I do not advocate for their use, I am not really giving
    > away the staoreas my wife puts it when giving advice *on these
    > matters, so I do not rally have an agenda.
    >
    > As Mark said the area isn't large, but I would still advise a guide if
    > for no other reason that it is someone to drive in a rural area with
    > poorly marked roads (If you do drive get a GPS)
    >
    > Since you are looking at Ray Andrews Boutique Wine you must be staying
    > in Sydney. In that case it is a longish day. I would prefer myself to
    > spend some tme in the Hunter. There is a nice botanical garden there
    > and by getting out of the city you have a chance to encounter the
    > world famous wildlife of Australia first hand. I have seen parrot type
    > birds wild in Sydney but not so much the kangaroo and wallaby(unless
    > you count dthe excellent Taronga Zoo as "wild".
    > Joseph Coulter
    > J&B Journeyswww.jandbjourneys.com
    > j...@jandbjourneys.com
    > 904 685 5317


    Two fat blokes looked great but, other than driving, I don't know how
    to get to Hunter Valley.

  6. #6
    Joseph Coulter Guest

    Default Re: Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

    On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 08:18:34 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Jun 1, 5:58*am, Joseph Coulter <see...@below.com> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:46:23 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
    >>
    >> <larryleicht...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> >Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
    >> >includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

    >>
    >> Larry, really I do know the Hunter area (and NSW in general) If I
    >> don't have an answer I know the people who do. As far as wine tours
    >> since the only people who pay commission these days arethe big bus
    >> tour guys, and I do not advocate for their use, I am not really giving
    >> away the staoreas my wife puts it when giving advice *on these
    >> matters, so I do not rally have an agenda.
    >>
    >> As Mark said the area isn't large, but I would still advise a guide if
    >> for no other reason that it is someone to drive in a rural area with
    >> poorly marked roads (If you do drive get a GPS)
    >>
    >> Since you are looking at Ray Andrews Boutique Wine you must be staying
    >> in Sydney. In that case it is a longish day. I would prefer myself to
    >> spend some tme in the Hunter. There is a nice botanical garden there
    >> and by getting out of the city you have a chance to encounter the
    >> world famous wildlife of Australia first hand. I have seen parrot type
    >> birds wild in Sydney but not so much the kangaroo and wallaby(unless
    >> you count dthe excellent Taronga Zoo as "wild".
    >> Joseph Coulter
    >> J&B Journeyswww.jandbjourneys.com
    >> j...@jandbjourneys.com
    >> 904 685 5317

    >
    >Two fat blokes looked great but, other than driving, I don't know how
    >to get to Hunter Valley.


    Two fat blokes not three, sorry miscounted in the early morning :-)

    the driveing thing is why Ray is the answer for you. Boutique will
    tailor the experience for you if you let them know. (esp if you are on
    a private tour, but even if it is semi private the driver will see
    what everyones expereience and knowledge level is which works well
    most of the time . . . (You can take the tain to Maitland but it is a
    long and expensive cab ride from there, might as well use the tour co.
    or hire a car)

  7. #7
    lleichtman Guest

    Default Re: Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

    On Jun 1, 1:11*pm, Joseph Coulter <see...@below.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 08:18:34 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > <larryleicht...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >On Jun 1, 5:58*am, Joseph Coulter <see...@below.com> wrote:
    > >> On Wed, 30 May 2012 18:46:23 -0700 (PDT), lleichtman

    >
    > >> <larryleicht...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >> >Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
    > >> >includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

    >
    > >> Larry, really I do know the Hunter area (and NSW in general) If I
    > >> don't have an answer I know the people who do. As far as wine tours
    > >> since the only people who pay commission these days arethe big bus
    > >> tour guys, and I do not advocate for their use, I am not really giving
    > >> away the staoreas my wife puts it when giving advice *on these
    > >> matters, so I do not rally have an agenda.

    >
    > >> As Mark said the area isn't large, but I would still advise a guide if
    > >> for no other reason that it is someone to drive in a rural area with
    > >> poorly marked roads (If you do drive get a GPS)

    >
    > >> Since you are looking at Ray Andrews Boutique Wine you must be staying
    > >> in Sydney. In that case it is a longish day. I would prefer myself to
    > >> spend some tme in the Hunter. There is a nice botanical garden there
    > >> and by getting out of the city you have a chance to encounter the
    > >> world famous wildlife of Australia first hand. I have seen parrot type
    > >> birds wild in Sydney but not so much the kangaroo and wallaby(unless
    > >> you count dthe excellent Taronga Zoo as "wild".
    > >> Joseph Coulter
    > >> J&B Journeyswww.jandbjourneys.com
    > >> j...@jandbjourneys.com
    > >> 904 685 5317

    >
    > >Two fat blokes looked great but, other than driving, I don't know how
    > >to get to Hunter Valley.

    >
    > Two fat blokes not three, sorry miscounted in the early morning :-)
    >
    > the driveing thing is why Ray is the answer for you. Boutique will
    > tailor the experience for you if you let them know. (esp if you are on
    > a private tour, but even if it is *semi private the driver will see
    > what everyones expereience and knowledge level is which works well
    > most of the time . . . *(You can take the tain to Maitland but it is a
    > long and expensive cab ride from there, might as well use the tour co.
    > or hire a car)


    So you have to take a cab from the train station to where they are
    located? I was looking at the Newcastle train.

  8. #8
    st.helier Guest

    Default Re: Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

    "Mark Lipton" wrote ..................
    >
    >> Anyone had experience with this outfit? There list of wineries
    >> includes a few from the FAQ but a lot I know nothing about.

    >
    > No experience, Larry, but if you list the wineries, I (and St. H. among
    > others) can give you some feedback. The Hunter isn't a very large place
    > and there aren't that many wineries there.



    It is a few years since I ventured north from Sydney into the Hunter Valley,
    but it still remains a very comfortable two hours drive to the north of
    Sydney and west of Newcastle.

    Roads are excellent - as with all antipodean countries, driving is on the
    correct side of the road :-), so if you are comfortable with this, I would
    drive yourself.

    The Hunter boasts around 140 cellar doors - so plan on visiting six or seven
    max - many good dining establishments too.

    Do you own research (plenty of material on-line) - despite their own blurb
    as to the range of wines made in the region, aged Semillon is wonderful but
    in its youth is acidic and green.

    Shiraz and some CS is OK, but generally, this is a very hot region - whites
    are bland and reds are plummy and cooked (IMVHO of course).

    But, if I were a wine lover and in Sydney, and had one day to spare, I would
    drive myself.

    But then, I am the adventurous type.

    st.helier

    I am reminded, in 1970 I raced in a bicycle race from Muswellbrook in the
    Northern Hunter to Tamworth in New England (approx 160km). As the peloton
    sprinted for the finish line, I felt my jersey being pulled; I veered across
    the road and struck out at the culprit, all while riding at about 60-65kph.
    The net result is that I was the one disqualified. I later found out that
    the perpetrator was a friend who was playing practical joke. (I would not
    have won anyhow -I was not that good!)




  9. #9
    st.helier Guest

    Default Re: Boutique Wine Tours Hunter Valley

    "lleichtman" wrote ....
    >
    > So you have to take a cab from the train station to where they are

    located? I was looking at the Newcastle train.

    You could take train to Newcastle, then hire a car and drive yourself to
    Cessnock / Pokolbin (about 90km)

    I would not take a cab - not practicable - bloody expensive.

    st.helier


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32