Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

  1. #1
    Bi!! Guest

    Default 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

    Opened last night with grilled local lamb chops 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages. Interestingly enough I noticed that htis wine still had the original price tag on it showing a price of $28.99 which no doubt was a lot for a bottle of wine circa 1990. The wine was still perfect. Still a ruby red in the glass with just a hint of pink at the rim. Nose of cedar and mildewed wood which blew off in a few minutes and after an hour in the decanter it was frangrant with spice box, black cherry and cassis with a fair amount fo cedar notes. THe wne was smooth as silk with just a hint of tannic grip on the finish. Plenty of black fruits and cassis with tobacco and sandalwood flavors at the end. Unmistakable as LB. Nice bottle. "A"

  2. #2
    Mark Lipton Guest

    Default Re: 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

    On 8/29/12 1:23 PM, Bi!! wrote:
    > Opened last night with grilled local lamb chops 1988 Chateau Lynch
    > Bages. Interestingly enough I noticed that htis wine still had the
    > original price tag on it showing a price of $28.99 which no doubt was
    > a lot for a bottle of wine circa 1990. The wine was still perfect.
    > Still a ruby red in the glass with just a hint of pink at the rim.
    > Nose of cedar and mildewed wood which blew off in a few minutes and
    > after an hour in the decanter it was frangrant with spice box, black
    > cherry and cassis with a fair amount fo cedar notes. THe wne was
    > smooth as silk with just a hint of tannic grip on the finish. Plenty
    > of black fruits and cassis with tobacco and sandalwood flavors at the
    > end. Unmistakable as LB. Nice bottle. "A"


    Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that I've
    had, including this wine some years ago. Regarding the price, though: I
    recall shelling out $40 for the '86 Gruaud-Larose not long after
    release, so $28.99 in 1990 for Lynch-Bages doesn't sound bad at all.

    Mark Lipton


    --
    alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

  3. #3
    DaleW Guest

    Default Re: 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

    On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
    >
    > Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that I've
    >
    > had, including this wine some years ago.


    Damn, they moved Pauillac?

    Good note, Bill. I'm generally a fan of 88 (you just need to realize the style), and the 88 has shown well in tastings- it shared WOTN for me (with the 85)in a vertical tasting of all the serious vintages 1970-2001

  4. #4
    Mark Lipton Guest

    Default Re: 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

    DaleW wrote:
    > On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
    >> Great note, Bill. I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that
    >> I've
    >>
    >> had, including this wine some years ago.

    >
    > Damn, they moved Pauillac?


    Gah!! My dyslexic brain at work again.

    Mark Lipton

  5. #5
    Bi!! Guest

    Default Re: 1988 Chateau Lynch Bages

    On Aug 29, 11:47*pm, Mark Lipton <not...@eudrup.ude> wrote:
    > DaleW wrote:
    > > On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
    > >> Great note, Bill. *I've really liked the '88 right bank Bdx that
    > >> I've

    >
    > >> had, including this wine some years ago.

    >
    > > Damn, they moved Pauillac?

    >
    > Gah!! My dyslexic brain at work again.
    >
    > Mark Lipton


    I figured that was a slip. Nice catch Dale! :-)

    Sometimes it's hard to remember just how far wine prices have gone
    until you look back. I just checked and futures price on 2010 LB is
    $160. In any case the wine was good, probably won't get much better
    and stylistically it's in my sweet spot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32