Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Zucchini latkes?

  1. #1
    Peppermint Patootie Guest

    Default Zucchini latkes?

    I know I should do a web search, but I think someone here posted a good
    recipe for zucchini latkes. Or maybe someone has a good one that they
    haven't posted before?

    My zucchini plants are starting to produce heavily, and I don't feel
    like making ratatouille (too hot), nor do I feel like giving them all
    away. I can stir fry them or saute with onions, but I thought I'd give
    zucchini latkes a try.

    Can anyone offer me guidance?

    Thanks!

    Priscilla
    --
    "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
    of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
    - Chris Malcolm

  2. #2
    W. Baker Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    Peppermint Patootie <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I know I should do a web search, but I think someone here posted a good
    : recipe for zucchini latkes. Or maybe someone has a good one that they
    : haven't posted before?

    : My zucchini plants are starting to produce heavily, and I don't feel
    : like making ratatouille (too hot), nor do I feel like giving them all
    : away. I can stir fry them or saute with onions, but I thought I'd give
    : zucchini latkes a try.

    : Can anyone offer me guidance?

    : Thanks!

    : Priscilla
    : --
    : "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
    : of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
    : - Chris Malcolm

    Here is an enormous list of latke recipes form the Jewish-food archive of
    a mail list I am on.
    http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...tke_index.html

    Most are for carby ones, but there are a number of vegetable ones, some
    with potato and som ewithout. In general, it is a good idea to salt adn
    drain the shreds like done for eggplant to remove some of the excess
    liquid. some can be baked rather than fried, but that involved using the
    oven, whic can be hot. Often people make a ton and can reheat in the
    oven. I would not reheat ina microwave as that would sog things up quite
    a bit and crispness is to be desired.

    I hope this helps. I have not tried the recipes so can't rcomment one in
    particular.

    Wendy

  3. #3
    Peppermint Patootie Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    In article <jtndel$pu$[email protected]>,
    "W. Baker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here is an enormous list of latke recipes form the Jewish-food archive of
    > a mail list I am on.
    > http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...tke_index.html
    >
    > Most are for carby ones, but there are a number of vegetable ones, some
    > with potato and som ewithout. In general, it is a good idea to salt adn
    > drain the shreds like done for eggplant to remove some of the excess
    > liquid. some can be baked rather than fried, but that involved using the
    > oven, whic can be hot. Often people make a ton and can reheat in the
    > oven. I would not reheat ina microwave as that would sog things up quite
    > a bit and crispness is to be desired.
    >
    > I hope this helps. I have not tried the recipes so can't rcomment one in
    > particular.
    >
    > Wendy


    Thanks, Wendy. I'm pretty good at adapting recipes. I may make a bunch
    with the a/c on this weekend and reheat in the toaster oven as needed.

    Priscilla
    --
    "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
    of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
    - Chris Malcolm

  4. #4
    Alice Faber Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Peppermint Patootie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I know I should do a web search, but I think someone here posted a good
    > recipe for zucchini latkes. Or maybe someone has a good one that they
    > haven't posted before?
    >
    > My zucchini plants are starting to produce heavily, and I don't feel
    > like making ratatouille (too hot), nor do I feel like giving them all
    > away. I can stir fry them or saute with onions, but I thought I'd give
    > zucchini latkes a try.
    >


    Grate two zukes and c. 1/2 an onion. Squeeze out as much water as
    possible; I use a tea towel for this. Mix with one egg, salt and pepper
    to taste, and something absorbent. Normally it would be c. 1/4 cup flour
    or matzoh meal, but I've taken to using gram flour (from chickpeas), as
    it doesn't hit my blood sugar the way wheat does. Heat some oil in a
    heavy frying pan and use a spoon to drop blobs of the zuke mixture in
    the oil. Flatten with the back of a pancake turner. Flip when it appears
    the blob will hold together and the bottom is golden. When the second
    side is done, place on paper towel to drain. Repeat until you run out of
    the zuke mixture, adding oil as needed. Serve with sour cream.

    --
    "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
    what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

  5. #5
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 7/12/2012 12:45 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
    > I know I should do a web search, but I think someone here posted a good
    > recipe for zucchini latkes. Or maybe someone has a good one that they
    > haven't posted before?
    >
    > My zucchini plants are starting to produce heavily, and I don't feel
    > like making ratatouille (too hot), nor do I feel like giving them all
    > away. I can stir fry them or saute with onions, but I thought I'd give
    > zucchini latkes a try.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me guidance?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >


    ISTR that I may've posted one last winter around the holiday?

    Last night we had Carba Nada noodles mixed with zucchini noodles made by
    shaving with a veggie peeler into thin strips... topped with shrimp
    sauteed in butter and EVOO plus garlic, shallots, fresh oregano and
    parsley, kalamata olives, halved baby heirloom tomaotoes and red pepper
    flakes.

    Here's a thread before you had visitations from the zucchini goddesses!
    https://groups.google.com/group/alt....b33086bb9d6322

    Found this in my recipe archive:


    Servings: 20
    Prep time: 15 minutes
    Bake/Cook time: 1 hour


    Carbohydrates: 4.5 grams

    Net Carbs: 3.5 grams

    Fiber: 1 grams

    Protein: 2.5 grams

    Fat: 14.5 grams

    Calories: 167



    here it is-the one from Atkins-

    Zucchini Nut Bread
    also makes muffins. Simply bake off the batter in a 12-cup muffin tin
    for 35 to 40 minutes.

    1 cup (scant ) CarbQuik Bake Mix
    1 cup (scant) finely ground almonds
    1 1/2 cups granular sugar substitute (I use xylitol or erythritol)
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup canola oil
    4 eggs
    1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    metric



    1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x 4 loaf pan; set aside. In a large
    bowl whisk together Bake Mix, ground almonds, sugar substitute,
    cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a medium bowl, mix
    vegetable oil, eggs, zucchini, and vanilla extract.
    2. Pour zucchini mixture into bake mix mixture. Mix well. Pour batter
    into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour until golden brown, and a cake tester
    inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack before cutting
    into thin slices.



  6. #6
    Peppermint Patootie Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    After looking at some of the recipes, here's what I did. For my first
    try I didn't try to go low carb beyond replacing the potatoes with
    zucchini.

    2 large zucchini -- washed, cut off ends, grated, put into colander,
    tossed with some salt, left for 45 minutes. Then squeezed the water out
    (there was a lot that dripped off it before I squeezed it out) and set
    it aside.

    Grated 1/2 of a large onion.
    Minced a couple of garlic scapes.
    Minced a few sprigs of flat leaf Italian parsley.

    Beat three large eggs in a bowl. Folded in the zucchini, onion, garlic
    scapes, and parsley. Added a little salt (it needed more than I added).
    Added what seemed like enough flour, which turned out to be just over
    1/2 cup. Folded well.

    In a large cast iron frying pan, I heated up about 1/4 inch of peanut
    oil and got it hot. Spooned the batter into the hot oil, cooking three
    at a time. Flipped when the first side was brown.

    Served with sour cream. (My luncheon companion was also served sesame
    noodles, and we both had fresh cherries for dessert.)

    I'll be making these again, and I'll probably see how they do with
    almond meal replacing the flour to make them truly low-carb. Next time
    I think I'll nuke the minced garlic scapes (if I use them) because they
    were a little crunchy.

    Priscilla

  7. #7
    W. Baker Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    Peppermint Patootie <[email protected]> wrote:
    : After looking at some of the recipes, here's what I did. For my first
    : try I didn't try to go low carb beyond replacing the potatoes with
    : zucchini.

    : 2 large zucchini -- washed, cut off ends, grated, put into colander,
    : tossed with some salt, left for 45 minutes. Then squeezed the water out
    : (there was a lot that dripped off it before I squeezed it out) and set
    : it aside.

    : Grated 1/2 of a large onion.
    : Minced a couple of garlic scapes.
    : Minced a few sprigs of flat leaf Italian parsley.

    : Beat three large eggs in a bowl. Folded in the zucchini, onion, garlic
    : scapes, and parsley. Added a little salt (it needed more than I added).
    : Added what seemed like enough flour, which turned out to be just over
    : 1/2 cup. Folded well.

    : In a large cast iron frying pan, I heated up about 1/4 inch of peanut
    : oil and got it hot. Spooned the batter into the hot oil, cooking three
    : at a time. Flipped when the first side was brown.

    : Served with sour cream. (My luncheon companion was also served sesame
    : noodles, and we both had fresh cherries for dessert.)

    : I'll be making these again, and I'll probably see how they do with
    : almond meal replacing the flour to make them truly low-carb. Next time
    : I think I'll nuke the minced garlic scapes (if I use them) because they
    : were a little crunchy.

    : Priscilla

    Well, if you liked them, you are all set for Channuka:-) You nw have a
    new hliday to celebrate(an get kids presents for). If you like the
    garlic andthe scapes are not available all year round, why not use a
    garlic press for smaller particles?

    I can't advise on the almond meal as I have not tried it. If you udo use
    it, please report back so we can all know if it will work as a thickener
    to hold the pancakes togethers.

    Wendy-who often feels latke deprived:-(


  8. #8
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 7/15/2012 1:10 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:

    > I'll be making these again, and I'll probably see how they do with
    > almond meal replacing the flour to make them truly low-carb. Next time
    > I think I'll nuke the minced garlic scapes (if I use them) because they
    > were a little crunchy.


    You could try carbalose flour, too, for binding, maybe even mixed with
    almond meal.

    Sounds delicious!

    Susan

  9. #9
    Peppermint Patootie Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Susan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > On 7/15/2012 1:10 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
    >
    > > I'll be making these again, and I'll probably see how they do with
    > > almond meal replacing the flour to make them truly low-carb. Next time
    > > I think I'll nuke the minced garlic scapes (if I use them) because they
    > > were a little crunchy.

    >
    > You could try carbalose flour, too, for binding, maybe even mixed with
    > almond meal.


    Maybe someone else could. Carbalose gives me GI upset.

    > Sounds delicious!


    Yeah, I forgot to mention they were pretty darned good!

    Priscilla

  10. #10
    Peppermint Patootie Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    In article <jtuvh1$md5$[email protected]>,
    "W. Baker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well, if you liked them, you are all set for Channuka:-) You nw have a
    > new hliday to celebrate(an get kids presents for). If you like the
    > garlic andthe scapes are not available all year round, why not use a
    > garlic press for smaller particles?


    My luncheon companion is Jewish, and I suggested that for a winter
    festival meal, one could add minced sweet red pepper, and then they'd be
    a multi-cultural food item! The zucchini made them very green. :-)

    Priscilla

  11. #11
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 7/15/2012 3:47 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:

    > Maybe someone else could. Carbalose gives me GI upset.


    Oops, I think you may've mentioned before, very porous memory here.

    >
    >> Sounds delicious!

    >
    > Yeah, I forgot to mention they were pretty darned good!
    >


    I noticed, but cooks can usually deduce from ingredients and quantities
    of them...

    Susan

  12. #12
    W. Baker Guest

    Default Re: Zucchini latkes?

    Peppermint Patootie <[email protected]> wrote:
    : In article <jtuvh1$md5$[email protected]>,
    : "W. Baker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    : > Well, if you liked them, you are all set for Channuka:-) You nw have a
    : > new hliday to celebrate(an get kids presents for). If you like the
    : > garlic andthe scapes are not available all year round, why not use a
    : > garlic press for smaller particles?

    : My luncheon companion is Jewish, and I suggested that for a winter
    : festival meal, one could add minced sweet red pepper, and then they'd be
    : a multi-cultural food item! The zucchini made them very green. :-)

    : Priscilla

    Oh, God no! The Christmas latke. Make them in a ring shape with pimento
    on toop and hang them on the tree. you would have to fry them nice and
    crisp. that's all we need:-)

    Wendy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32