Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 92 of 92

Thread: Stuffed shells.

  1. #81
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 2/24/2012 10:23 AM, Evelyn wrote:

    > Yes, and that is pretty much what is on the Barilla box. The stuffing
    > is Just ricotta, eggs, romano or parmigian cheese, and mozzarella.
    > Sauce to lay the noodles on and to top with.


    That's pretty much how I do it, with the addition of browned sausage to
    the cheese mixture and a LOT of shredded cheese on top.

    Susan

  2. #82
    Evelyn Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:44:48 -0500, Susan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >On 2/24/2012 10:23 AM, Evelyn wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, and that is pretty much what is on the Barilla box. The stuffing
    >> is Just ricotta, eggs, romano or parmigian cheese, and mozzarella.
    >> Sauce to lay the noodles on and to top with.

    >
    >That's pretty much how I do it, with the addition of browned sausage to
    >the cheese mixture and a LOT of shredded cheese on top.
    >
    >Susan



    Yes! The rest is just technique in assembling it.

    Evelyn

  3. #83
    BlueBrooke Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 03:12:28 -0700, Tiger Lily <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2/23/2012 4:21 PM, Evelyn wrote:
    >> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:37:36 -0700, Tiger Lily<[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 2/23/2012 3:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
    >>>> i have made meat and meatless and everything in between, so has the dh, i
    >>>> don't think we have ever used an egg, and until reading this never knew
    >>>> anyone who ever did, lol, live and learn, Lees
    >>>
    >>> triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
    >>> sauce' dish
    >>>
    >>> different recipes i guess
    >>>
    >>> kate

    >>
    >> You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
    >> up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
    >> from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
    >> down proportionately for your needs.
    >>
    >> "4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
    >> (for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
    >> cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
    >> Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."
    >>
    >> Evelyn

    >
    >
    >grin, would you kindly post your lasagna recipe
    >
    >seriously, i have never put eggs into lasagna, but i also use regular
    >cottage cheese which is much waterier than Ricotta!
    >
    >kate


    This is Evelyn's recipe from the Barilla No-Boil Lasagne box. Since
    it's a "keeper" I put it in my recipe program to calculate the
    nutrition facts. Hope there's no typos -- if something looks amiss,
    give me a holler.

    No-Boil Lasagne

    1 box Barilla No-Boil Lasagne (9 oz)
    2 large eggs
    1 container ricotta cheese (15 oz)
    16 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (2 oz)
    1 pound ground beef, cooked, crumbled and drained
    2 jars Barilla Marinara Sauce (24 oz each)

    1. Heat oven to 375.

    2. Spray baking pan (13" x 9" x 3") with non-stick cooking spray.

    3. In medium bowl, beat eggs. Stir in ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella and
    parmesan.

    4. When layering lasagne, slightly overlap sheets. Lasagne will
    expand to the edges during cooking. Spread fillings to edges to seal
    in and cook the lasagne during baking. Layer in the following order:

    5. (1) Spread 1 cup of sauce on bottom of baking pan.

    6. (2) Layer 4 uncooked sheets, 1/3 ricotta mixture, half of browned
    meat, 1 cup mozzarella, and 1 cup of sauce.

    7. (3) Layer 4 uncooked sheets, 1/3 ricotta mixture, and 1-1/2 cups
    sauce.

    8. (4) Layer 4 uncooked sheets, the remaining ricotta mixture and
    browned meat, and 1 cup of sauce.

    9. (5) Layer 4 uncooked sheets, the remaining sauce, and remaining 1
    cup of mozarella.

    10. Bake, covered with foil, until bubbly, 50-60 minutes. Uncover and
    continue cooking until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Let stand
    15 minutes before cutting.

    Servings: 12

    Nutrition Facts
    Serving size: 1/12 of a recipe (9.1 ounces).
    Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.

    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 420.04
    Calories From Fat (44%) 186.04
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 20.84g 32%
    Saturated Fat 9.74g 49%
    Cholesterol 105.88mg 35%
    Sodium 824.08mg 34%
    Potassium 210.21mg 6%
    Total Carbohydrates 29.57g 10%
    Fiber 3.55g 14%
    Sugar 6.91g
    Protein 27.03g 54%


  4. #84
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.

    x-no-archive: yes

    I use a 9z13" pan, use only three sheets of noodle, not overlapping, per
    layer, and make only a bottom and top layer, and only about 1/2 a jar of
    marinara, for a much lower carb lasagna.

    Susan



    On 2/24/2012 10:58 AM, BlueBrooke wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 03:12:28 -0700, Tiger Lily<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2/23/2012 4:21 PM, Evelyn wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:37:36 -0700, Tiger Lily<[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 2/23/2012 3:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
    >>>>> i have made meat and meatless and everything in between, so has the dh, i
    >>>>> don't think we have ever used an egg, and until reading this never knew
    >>>>> anyone who ever did, lol, live and learn, Lees
    >>>>
    >>>> triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
    >>>> sauce' dish
    >>>>
    >>>> different recipes i guess
    >>>>
    >>>> kate
    >>>
    >>> You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
    >>> up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
    >>> from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
    >>> down proportionately for your needs.
    >>>
    >>> "4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
    >>> (for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
    >>> cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
    >>> Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."
    >>>
    >>> Evelyn

    >>
    >>
    >> grin, would you kindly post your lasagna recipe
    >>
    >> seriously, i have never put eggs into lasagna, but i also use regular
    >> cottage cheese which is much waterier than Ricotta!
    >>
    >> kate

    >
    > This is Evelyn's recipe from the Barilla No-Boil Lasagne box. Since
    > it's a "keeper" I put it in my recipe program to calculate the
    > nutrition facts. Hope there's no typos -- if something looks amiss,
    > give me a holler.
    >
    > No-Boil Lasagne
    >
    > 1 box Barilla No-Boil Lasagne (9 oz)
    > 2 large eggs
    > 1 container ricotta cheese (15 oz)
    > 16 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
    > 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (2 oz)
    > 1 pound ground beef, cooked, crumbled and drained
    > 2 jars Barilla Marinara Sauce (24 oz each)
    >
    > 1. Heat oven to 375.
    >
    > 2. Spray baking pan (13" x 9" x 3") with non-stick cooking spray.
    >
    > 3. In medium bowl, beat eggs. Stir in ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella and
    > parmesan.
    >
    > 4. When layering lasagne, slightly overlap sheets. Lasagne will
    > expand to the edges during cooking. Spread fillings to edges to seal
    > in and cook the lasagne during baking. Layer in the following order:
    >
    > 5. (1) Spread 1 cup of sauce on bottom of baking pan.
    >
    > 6. (2) Layer 4 uncooked sheets, 1/3 ricotta mixture, half of browned
    > meat, 1 cup mozzarella, and 1 cup of sauce.
    >
    > 7. (3) Layer 4 uncooked sheets, 1/3 ricotta mixture, and 1-1/2 cups
    > sauce.
    >
    > 8. (4) Layer 4 uncooked sheets, the remaining ricotta mixture and
    > browned meat, and 1 cup of sauce.
    >
    > 9. (5) Layer 4 uncooked sheets, the remaining sauce, and remaining 1
    > cup of mozarella.
    >
    > 10. Bake, covered with foil, until bubbly, 50-60 minutes. Uncover and
    > continue cooking until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Let stand
    > 15 minutes before cutting.
    >
    > Servings: 12
    >
    > Nutrition Facts
    > Serving size: 1/12 of a recipe (9.1 ounces).
    > Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
    >
    > Amount Per Serving
    > Calories 420.04
    > Calories From Fat (44%) 186.04
    > % Daily Value
    > Total Fat 20.84g 32%
    > Saturated Fat 9.74g 49%
    > Cholesterol 105.88mg 35%
    > Sodium 824.08mg 34%
    > Potassium 210.21mg 6%
    > Total Carbohydrates 29.57g 10%
    > Fiber 3.55g 14%
    > Sugar 6.91g
    > Protein 27.03g 54%
    >



  5. #85
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.


    "Evelyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 03:12:28 -0700, Tiger Lily <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2/23/2012 4:21 PM, Evelyn wrote:
    >>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:37:36 -0700, Tiger Lily<[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 2/23/2012 3:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
    >>>>> i have made meat and meatless and everything in between, so has the
    >>>>> dh, i
    >>>>> don't think we have ever used an egg, and until reading this never
    >>>>> knew
    >>>>> anyone who ever did, lol, live and learn, Lees
    >>>>
    >>>> triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
    >>>> sauce' dish
    >>>>
    >>>> different recipes i guess
    >>>>
    >>>> kate
    >>>
    >>> You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
    >>> up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
    >>> from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
    >>> down proportionately for your needs.
    >>>
    >>> "4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
    >>> (for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
    >>> cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
    >>> Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."
    >>>
    >>> Evelyn

    >>
    >>
    >>grin, would you kindly post your lasagna recipe
    >>
    >>seriously, i have never put eggs into lasagna, but i also use regular
    >>cottage cheese which is much waterier than Ricotta!
    >>
    >>kate

    >
    >
    > My recipe is right on the Barilla box. Too long for me to re-type
    > here. I have heard of people using cottage cheese for lasagna, but
    > it is not smooth enough or sweet enough. If you beat it with a mixer
    > and then drain it through a cheesecloth or strainer, it might help the
    > wateriness, but adding the egg also helps. It isn't supposed to be
    > mush, nor is it supposed to be very firm, and not watery either. It
    > should be firm enough to cut and nearly hold its shape (after cooling
    > a bit) but not too firm. Hard to describe. Just get the Barilla no
    > boil noodles and do what they say. It's right.


    I have used cottage cheese too. I prefer ricotta. I have heard that a mix
    of the two is the best.



  6. #86
    Evelyn Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:44:48 -0800, "Julie Bove"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"Evelyn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]. .
    >> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 03:12:28 -0700, Tiger Lily <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 2/23/2012 4:21 PM, Evelyn wrote:
    >>>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:37:36 -0700, Tiger Lily<[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 2/23/2012 3:27 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
    >>>>>> i have made meat and meatless and everything in between, so has the
    >>>>>> dh, i
    >>>>>> don't think we have ever used an egg, and until reading this never
    >>>>>> knew
    >>>>>> anyone who ever did, lol, live and learn, Lees
    >>>>>
    >>>>> triple.... i've never put an egg in lasagna or any other 'pasta in
    >>>>> sauce' dish
    >>>>>
    >>>>> different recipes i guess
    >>>>>
    >>>>> kate
    >>>>
    >>>> You put the egg into the ricotta, which as it bakes, helps to firm it
    >>>> up. The proportion for the stuffing goes like this. (copied right
    >>>> from the recipe I use). This was for a big lasagna, you would cut it
    >>>> down proportionately for your needs.
    >>>>
    >>>> "4 lbs of Ricotta, 4 eggs, 1- 1/2 cups of grated Romano cheese.
    >>>> (for spinach lasagna add two packages of frozen chopped spinach,
    >>>> cooked, then WELL drained, squeeze out excess water)
    >>>> Mix and blend well with electric mixer before folding in the spinach."
    >>>>
    >>>> Evelyn
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>grin, would you kindly post your lasagna recipe
    >>>
    >>>seriously, i have never put eggs into lasagna, but i also use regular
    >>>cottage cheese which is much waterier than Ricotta!
    >>>
    >>>kate

    >>
    >>
    >> My recipe is right on the Barilla box. Too long for me to re-type
    >> here. I have heard of people using cottage cheese for lasagna, but
    >> it is not smooth enough or sweet enough. If you beat it with a mixer
    >> and then drain it through a cheesecloth or strainer, it might help the
    >> wateriness, but adding the egg also helps. It isn't supposed to be
    >> mush, nor is it supposed to be very firm, and not watery either. It
    >> should be firm enough to cut and nearly hold its shape (after cooling
    >> a bit) but not too firm. Hard to describe. Just get the Barilla no
    >> boil noodles and do what they say. It's right.

    >
    >I have used cottage cheese too. I prefer ricotta. I have heard that a mix
    >of the two is the best.
    >


    I don't think so. Ricotta has a sweeter, milder flavor and a nicer
    texture. When you add the Romano cheese and egg to it, it is just
    perfect and bakes up just right.

    Evelyn

  7. #87
    Robert Miles Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.

    On 2/10/2012 4:12 PM, W. Baker wrote:
    > Julie Bove<[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : "BlueBrooke"<[email protected]> wrote in message
    > : news:[email protected]..
    > :> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
    > :> <[email protected]> wrote:
    > :>
    > :>>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
    > :>>product?
    > :>
    > :> Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product, I
    > :> wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
    > :> they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.
    >
    > : They're right with the eggs!
    >
    > Nope, not everywhere. things are different here in Manhattan.
    >
    > Wendy


    In the stores where I've seen them, they were with the frozen
    foods. That was sometimes close to the eggs if that store
    had a freezer close to the refrigerator where they kept the
    eggs. None of those stores froze the whole eggs, but the
    Egg Beaters needed to be kept frozen.

    I used them for a few years when I was avoiding salt and
    cholesterol.

    Robert Miles

  8. #88
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.


    "Robert Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4f48821a$0$7067$[email protected]..
    > On 2/10/2012 4:12 PM, W. Baker wrote:
    >> Julie Bove<[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> : "BlueBrooke"<[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> : news:[email protected]..
    >> :> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
    >> :> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> :>
    >> :>>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
    >> :>>product?
    >> :>
    >> :> Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product, I
    >> :> wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
    >> :> they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.
    >>
    >> : They're right with the eggs!
    >>
    >> Nope, not everywhere. things are different here in Manhattan.
    >>
    >> Wendy

    >
    > In the stores where I've seen them, they were with the frozen
    > foods. That was sometimes close to the eggs if that store
    > had a freezer close to the refrigerator where they kept the
    > eggs. None of those stores froze the whole eggs, but the
    > Egg Beaters needed to be kept frozen.
    >
    > I used them for a few years when I was avoiding salt and
    > cholesterol.


    The only place I've ever seen them frozen was at the military commissary in
    Brooklyn.



  9. #89
    W. Baker Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.

    Julie Bove <[email protected]> wrote:

    : "Robert Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:4f48821a$0$7067$[email protected]..
    : > On 2/10/2012 4:12 PM, W. Baker wrote:
    : >> Julie Bove<[email protected]> wrote:
    : >>
    : >> : "BlueBrooke"<[email protected]> wrote in message
    : >> : news:[email protected]..
    : >> :> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:26:39 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
    : >> :> <[email protected]> wrote:
    : >> :>
    : >> :>>Why should I pick up and read a package when I have no interest in the
    : >> :>>product?
    : >> :>
    : >> :> Not only that, also never having had any interest in the product, I
    : >> :> wouldn't be able to even find it in a store. I have no idea where
    : >> :> they stock that stuff, let alone what's in it.
    : >>
    : >> : They're right with the eggs!
    : >>
    : >> Nope, not everywhere. things are different here in Manhattan.
    : >>
    : >> Wendy
    : >
    : > In the stores where I've seen them, they were with the frozen
    : > foods. That was sometimes close to the eggs if that store
    : > had a freezer close to the refrigerator where they kept the
    : > eggs. None of those stores froze the whole eggs, but the
    : > Egg Beaters needed to be kept frozen.
    : >
    : > I used them for a few years when I was avoiding salt and
    : > cholesterol.

    : The only place I've ever seen them frozen was at the military commissary in
    : Brooklyn.

    When they were first introduced they were all sold frozen. Later they
    introduced the non-frozen ones that have mostly taken over the market. I
    still occasionally(I guess when I actually look) see some in a frozen food
    case.

    Wendy

  10. #90
    Tiger Lily Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.

    On 2/24/2012 8:00 AM, Evelyn wrote:
    > My recipe is right on the Barilla box. Too long for me to re-type
    > here. I have heard of people using cottage cheese for lasagna, but
    > it is not smooth enough or sweet enough. If you beat it with a mixer
    > and then drain it through a cheesecloth or strainer, it might help the
    > wateriness, but adding the egg also helps. It isn't supposed to be
    > mush, nor is it supposed to be very firm, and not watery either. It
    > should be firm enough to cut and nearly hold its shape (after cooling
    > a bit) but not too firm. Hard to describe. Just get the Barilla no
    > boil noodles and do what they say. It's right.
    >
    > Evelyn


    ta

    kate

  11. #91
    manuelaa12 Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.


    These sort of great and really too awesome sharing i ever found
    i enjoy this too great and massive working



    ____________________________
    'sleep number m7 bed' (http://www.simplyrest.com/7-series-air-bed/) l
    'sleep number m7 bed' (http://www.simplyrest.com/7-series-air-bed/) l
    'sleep number i10 bed' (http://www.simplyrest.com/10-series-air-bed/)




    --
    manuelaa12

  12. #92
    Elroy Guest

    Default Re: Stuffed shells.


    I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely and
    adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in
    lasagna




    --
    Elroy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32