Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Quick and easy asparagus snack

  1. #1
    Ozgirl Guest

    Default Quick and easy asparagus snack

    Would be good for parties, starters etc.

    http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes...bbles-202.html

  2. #2
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Quick and easy asparagus snack

    Ozgirl wrote:
    > Would be good for parties, starters etc.
    >
    > http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes...bbles-202.html


    Along similar lines, someone I know used to make this and bring it to
    parties, where it was very popular:

    Sliced deli ham, thick enough to spread with softened cream cheese without
    breaking, but thin enough to roll
    Cream cheese, softened
    Asparagus, trimmed, blanched in rapidly boiling water then shocked in ice
    water

    Spread slice of ham with cream cheese, place spear of asparagus on it and
    roll up. Cut each rolled spear into several pieces. (I'd suggest cutting at
    an angle to make it look more attractive.)

    The proportions of cream cheese/ham/asparagus are up to you. She used
    substantial asparagus--not the very thin ones. The possible variations are
    infinite. One could use goat cheese and roasted asparagus, some kind of
    herbed cheese like Boursin, and so forth. Her version was simple, but very
    good.



  3. #3
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Quick and easy asparagus snack


    I meant to add that, if one does not eat pork, I would bet that something
    like smoked turkey would be tasty.



  4. #4
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Quick and easy asparagus snack

    we do something similar with smoked turkey, peminto cheese and either
    blanched asparagus, or carrots, Lee...
    "Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >
    > I meant to add that, if one does not eat pork, I would bet that something
    > like smoked turkey would be tasty.
    >




  5. #5
    Peppermint Patootie Guest

    Default Re: Quick and easy asparagus snack

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Janet" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Along similar lines, someone I know used to make this and bring it to
    > parties, where it was very popular:
    >
    > Sliced deli ham, thick enough to spread with softened cream cheese without
    > breaking, but thin enough to roll
    > Cream cheese, softened
    > Asparagus, trimmed, blanched in rapidly boiling water then shocked in ice
    > water
    >
    > Spread slice of ham with cream cheese, place spear of asparagus on it and
    > roll up. Cut each rolled spear into several pieces. (I'd suggest cutting at
    > an angle to make it look more attractive.)
    >
    > The proportions of cream cheese/ham/asparagus are up to you. She used
    > substantial asparagus--not the very thin ones. The possible variations are
    > infinite. One could use goat cheese and roasted asparagus, some kind of
    > herbed cheese like Boursin, and so forth. Her version was simple, but very
    > good.


    I've made that with dill pepper spears instead of asparagus. Yummy!

    PP
    --
    "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
    of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
    - Chris Malcolm

  6. #6
    Ozgirl Guest

    Default Re: Quick and easy asparagus snack



    "Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Ozgirl wrote:
    >> Would be good for parties, starters etc.
    >>
    >> http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes...bbles-202.html

    >
    > Along similar lines, someone I know used to make this and bring it to
    > parties, where it was very popular:
    >
    > Sliced deli ham, thick enough to spread with softened cream cheese
    > without breaking, but thin enough to roll
    > Cream cheese, softened
    > Asparagus, trimmed, blanched in rapidly boiling water then shocked in
    > ice water
    >
    > Spread slice of ham with cream cheese, place spear of asparagus on it
    > and roll up. Cut each rolled spear into several pieces. (I'd suggest
    > cutting at an angle to make it look more attractive.)
    >
    > The proportions of cream cheese/ham/asparagus are up to you. She used
    > substantial asparagus--not the very thin ones. The possible variations
    > are infinite. One could use goat cheese and roasted asparagus, some
    > kind of herbed cheese like Boursin, and so forth. Her version was
    > simple, but very good.


    The ham and asparagus uses to be popular years ago here but it was
    canned asparagus, no cream cheese and often just the pressed deli ham.
    Also popular used to be luncheon meat (like bologna style but way
    cheaper, lol) wrapped around cold mashed potato.


  7. #7
    Ozgirl Guest

    Default Re: Quick and easy asparagus snack



    "Peppermint Patootie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]..
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Janet" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Along similar lines, someone I know used to make this and bring it to
    >> parties, where it was very popular:
    >>
    >> Sliced deli ham, thick enough to spread with softened cream cheese
    >> without
    >> breaking, but thin enough to roll
    >> Cream cheese, softened
    >> Asparagus, trimmed, blanched in rapidly boiling water then shocked in
    >> ice
    >> water
    >>
    >> Spread slice of ham with cream cheese, place spear of asparagus on it
    >> and
    >> roll up. Cut each rolled spear into several pieces. (I'd suggest
    >> cutting at
    >> an angle to make it look more attractive.)
    >>
    >> The proportions of cream cheese/ham/asparagus are up to you. She used
    >> substantial asparagus--not the very thin ones. The possible
    >> variations are
    >> infinite. One could use goat cheese and roasted asparagus, some kind
    >> of
    >> herbed cheese like Boursin, and so forth. Her version was simple, but
    >> very
    >> good.

    >
    > I've made that with dill pepper spears instead of asparagus. Yummy!





  8. #8
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Quick and easy asparagus snack

    Ozgirl wrote:

    <snip>

    > The ham and asparagus uses to be popular years ago here but it was
    > canned asparagus, no cream cheese and often just the pressed deli ham.
    > Also popular used to be luncheon meat (like bologna style but way
    > cheaper, lol) wrapped around cold mashed potato.


    Can I say EWWWWW! ?



  9. #9
    Storrmmee Guest

    Default Re: Quick and easy asparagus snack

    don't think that tato thing would work for me, maybe cheap balongna and
    piminto cheese, lol, Lee
    "Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Ozgirl wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> The ham and asparagus uses to be popular years ago here but it was
    >> canned asparagus, no cream cheese and often just the pressed deli ham.
    >> Also popular used to be luncheon meat (like bologna style but way
    >> cheaper, lol) wrapped around cold mashed potato.

    >
    > Can I say EWWWWW! ?
    >




  10. #10
    Ozgirl Guest

    Default Re: Quick and easy asparagus snack



    "Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Ozgirl wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> The ham and asparagus uses to be popular years ago here but it was
    >> canned asparagus, no cream cheese and often just the pressed deli
    >> ham.
    >> Also popular used to be luncheon meat (like bologna style but way
    >> cheaper, lol) wrapped around cold mashed potato.

    >
    > Can I say EWWWWW! ?


    hee hee, you were the hostess with the mostest if you supplied those
    little delicacies


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32