Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43

Thread: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

  1. #1
    Todd Guest

    Default OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    Hi All,

    Okay, okay, not to spoil the movie for you, but you
    have to know the dinosaur dies in the end and... What?
    Oh, wrong group. So no movie spoiler for you guys.
    Sorry.

    This question may be somewhat off topic, but perhaps not.
    I am going through the planning stages for this
    year's garden.

    Is there a such think as a low Glycemic index (GI) carrot?
    Heirloom variety perhaps?

    And, if you guys have gardens, what low GI stuff do you
    grow?

    Last years failed attempt was tomatoes, zucchini,
    lemon cucumbers, purslane. Everything went to seed
    with the hot weather and I under watered my tomatoes.
    My zukes got white mold.

    Speaking of Purslane, purslane a great low GI super
    food. (Depending on who you listen to, the most nutritious
    edible plant on the face of the earth.) Tastes a little
    like watercress. Grows like a weed too, meaning it is hard
    for me to ruin.

    -T

    The guy gets the girl. Perhaps. (I will reform, eventually.)

  2. #2
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    x-no-archive: yes

    I ignore glycemic index in favor of meter readings.

    But the best way to tolerate carrots is often, if not usually, to eat
    them raw.

    Susan

  3. #3
    Alice Faber Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Susan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > I ignore glycemic index in favor of meter readings.
    >
    > But the best way to tolerate carrots is often, if not usually, to eat
    > them raw.
    >


    If I'm making a big pot of soup, I might use a single carrot, cut up,
    when I'm making the broth. Otherwise, I most often have carrots shredded
    in salad. A single carrot lasts about a week, depending on whether I
    have salad for lunch *and* dinner, or just for lunch.

    --
    "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
    what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

  4. #4
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 02:06 PM, Susan wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > I ignore glycemic index in favor of meter readings.
    >
    > But the best way to tolerate carrots is often, if not usually, to eat
    > them raw.
    >
    > Susan


    Hi Susan,

    My local community farm grown smallish organic carrots. Oh
    my goodness what flavor. I eat only one of two a day when
    they are in season. Store bought carrots are gross.

    I was thinking of trying to grow them myself. Prefer
    higher fat and lower carb. I was hoping someone knew
    of a carrot that fit the bill.

    -T



  5. #5
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 02:45 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Susan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> I ignore glycemic index in favor of meter readings.
    >>
    >> But the best way to tolerate carrots is often, if not usually, to eat
    >> them raw.
    >>

    >
    > If I'm making a big pot of soup, I might use a single carrot, cut up,
    > when I'm making the broth. Otherwise, I most often have carrots shredded
    > in salad. A single carrot lasts about a week, depending on whether I
    > have salad for lunch *and* dinner, or just for lunch.
    >


    Hi Alice,

    I do something similar. When "real" carrots are out of season at
    my local community farm, I use about four organic baby carrots in
    my chicken broth. I don't bother doing anything to them, as after
    99:99 (99 minutes and 99 seconds) in my pressure cooker, they are
    total mush. Done their job so to speak. Pour off the broth
    and toss the rest. (The chicken is so blasted it is unpalatable.
    the bones break apart too. Done its job too.)

    So far have not screwed up broth. I season mine with onion, carrot,
    parsley, thyme, pepper corns, salt rosemary. I love it with rosemary.
    (Pepper corns as I have a lemon pepper grinder that you cant
    taste the lemon, so I just pour the pepper corns straight into the
    pressure cooker. Using them up. Surprisingly, they are still "somewhat"
    intact afterwards.)

    What spices do you use?

    Thank you for the tips!

    -T



  6. #6
    W. Baker Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    : On 02/08/2013 02:06 PM, Susan wrote:
    : > x-no-archive: yes
    : >
    : > I ignore glycemic index in favor of meter readings.
    : >
    : > But the best way to tolerate carrots is often, if not usually, to eat
    : > them raw.
    : >
    : > Susan

    : Hi Susan,

    : My local community farm grown smallish organic carrots. Oh
    : my goodness what flavor. I eat only one of two a day when
    : they are in season. Store bought carrots are gross.

    : I was thinking of trying to grow them myself. Prefer
    : higher fat and lower carb. I was hoping someone knew
    : of a carrot that fit the bill.

    : -T

    Essentially, you have to use your meter to find out how many and in what
    state you can or cannot tolerate carrots. We vary widely with many
    finding that they can eat raw carrots but have problems with cooked one.
    a "Test test,test" policy like Jennifer's plan works well for finding what
    food each of us can eat and in what state or quantity. blanket rules
    often don't apply.

    Wendy

  7. #7
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 2/8/2013 5:45 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

    > If I'm making a big pot of soup, I might use a single carrot, cut up,
    > when I'm making the broth. Otherwise, I most often have carrots shredded
    > in salad. A single carrot lasts about a week, depending on whether I
    > have salad for lunch *and* dinner, or just for lunch.
    >


    Me, too, And if I'm simmering a braise a long time, I strain out the
    mushy veggies or puree them to thicken the liquid, then add fresh ones
    that cook only for the last 30 minutes or so.

    Susan

  8. #8
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 03:27 PM, Susan wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > On 2/8/2013 5:45 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
    >
    >> If I'm making a big pot of soup, I might use a single carrot, cut up,
    >> when I'm making the broth. Otherwise, I most often have carrots shredded
    >> in salad. A single carrot lasts about a week, depending on whether I
    >> have salad for lunch *and* dinner, or just for lunch.
    >>

    >
    > Me, too, And if I'm simmering a braise a long time, I strain out the
    > mushy veggies or puree them to thicken the liquid, then add fresh ones
    > that cook only for the last 30 minutes or so.
    >
    > Susan


    Hi Susan,

    What vegi's do you add back?

    _T

  9. #9
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 03:15 PM, W. Baker wrote:
    > Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : On 02/08/2013 02:06 PM, Susan wrote:
    > : > x-no-archive: yes
    > : >
    > : > I ignore glycemic index in favor of meter readings.
    > : >
    > : > But the best way to tolerate carrots is often, if not usually, to eat
    > : > them raw.
    > : >
    > : > Susan
    >
    > : Hi Susan,
    >
    > : My local community farm grown smallish organic carrots. Oh
    > : my goodness what flavor. I eat only one of two a day when
    > : they are in season. Store bought carrots are gross.
    >
    > : I was thinking of trying to grow them myself. Prefer
    > : higher fat and lower carb. I was hoping someone knew
    > : of a carrot that fit the bill.
    >
    > : -T
    >
    > Essentially, you have to use your meter to find out how many and in what
    > state you can or cannot tolerate carrots. We vary widely with many
    > finding that they can eat raw carrots but have problems with cooked one.
    > a "Test test,test" policy like Jennifer's plan works well for finding what
    > food each of us can eat and in what state or quantity. blanket rules
    > often don't apply.
    >
    > Wendy
    >


    Hi Wendy,

    Absolutely.

    The community carrots never make it to the cooked stage. Sometimes
    they don't even make it to the refrigerator. (I cuts them up and
    add them to the community tomatoes that got crushed in the bad
    and feast.) I mainly use cooked carrots as "seasoning".

    Was hoping for a variety of carrot to grow that was the most
    T2 friendly. (Man their seeds are tiny!)

    -T

  10. #10
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 2/8/2013 6:59 PM, Todd wrote:

    > What vegi's do you add back?
    >


    It depends on what I'm making.

    It could be anything from carrots to rutabaga or turnip chunks or leeks,
    onions, celery...

    Susan

  11. #11
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 04:05 PM, Susan wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > On 2/8/2013 6:59 PM, Todd wrote:
    >
    >> What vegi's do you add back?
    >>

    >
    > It depends on what I'm making.
    >
    > It could be anything from carrots to rutabaga or turnip chunks or leeks,
    > onions, celery...
    >
    > Susan


    Cool. Thank you!

  12. #12
    W. Baker Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    Todd <[email protected]> wrote:
    : On 02/08/2013 02:45 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
    : > In article <[email protected]>,
    : > Susan <[email protected]> wrote:
    : >
    : >> x-no-archive: yes
    : >>
    : >> I ignore glycemic index in favor of meter readings.
    : >>
    : >> But the best way to tolerate carrots is often, if not usually, to eat
    : >> them raw.
    : >>
    : >
    : > If I'm making a big pot of soup, I might use a single carrot, cut up,
    : > when I'm making the broth. Otherwise, I most often have carrots shredded
    : > in salad. A single carrot lasts about a week, depending on whether I
    : > have salad for lunch *and* dinner, or just for lunch.
    : >

    : Hi Alice,

    : I do something similar. When "real" carrots are out of season at
    : my local community farm, I use about four organic baby carrots in
    : my chicken broth. I don't bother doing anything to them, as after
    : 99:99 (99 minutes and 99 seconds) in my pressure cooker, they are
    : total mush. Done their job so to speak. Pour off the broth
    : and toss the rest. (The chicken is so blasted it is unpalatable.
    : the bones break apart too. Done its job too.)

    : So far have not screwed up broth. I season mine with onion, carrot,
    : parsley, thyme, pepper corns, salt rosemary. I love it with rosemary.
    : (Pepper corns as I have a lemon pepper grinder that you cant
    : taste the lemon, so I just pour the pepper corns straight into the
    : pressure cooker. Using them up. Surprisingly, they are still "somewhat"
    : intact afterwards.)

    : What spices do you use?

    : Thank you for the tips!

    : -T

    Why are you blasting tht chicken soup for 99 + mns? When I do shicken
    soup in my pressure cooker I cook it for about 225-30 mins an d it is
    servable with both the vegetables adn the chicken in it as a nice one dish
    meal to which yu can add noodles or matzo balls for the non-diabetics. I
    use sliced big carrots, celery, onions, the chicken, celery leaves and
    pepper corns. When it is cooled down I add some fresh dill adn remove the
    bones from the chicken and have several nice meals. I also used to do
    this whenever anyone on the house got sicke. this dish is often referred
    to as Jewish Penicillin and it works! Broth the first day then add
    vegetables ad a litle chicken after that.

    Wendy

  13. #13
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 04:07 PM, W. Baker wrote:
    > Why are you blasting tht chicken soup for 99 + mns?


    Great question. The short answer is: Proline, Glycine and Gelatin.
    It is because I need to break down the bones to get at these three.

    An out take of the following article:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...h-is-beautiful

    According to a textbook on bone disorders, proline
    and glycine play starring roles in the collagenous
    fibers built from gigantic proteins containing some
    1,000 amino acids each. Glycine contributes one-third
    of the total aminos. Glycine is a tiny amino with a
    talent for structuring very tightly packed chains.
    The other aminos that figure prominently are proline
    and hydroxyproline, an uncommon team with a passion
    for twisting themselves into tightly wound,
    left-handed helixes, then switching directions and
    twisting to the right into a superhelix. These little
    twisters form tight, tough, rodlike macro molecules,
    which in turn form thicker rods called fibrils. No
    wonder cartilage can have such impressive tensile
    strength.

    I get about 14 cups worth -- freeze half of it. I do have
    to dilute my broth with water. First shot was 1 to 1; second
    shot was 1 broth to 2 water. It is so good. I feel like
    a king. Real comfort food -- better than mac and cheese.

    Good catch by the way. I screw a lot of stuff up. I really
    appreciate you looking over my back!

    > this dish is often referred
    > to as Jewish Penicillin and it works! Broth the first day then add
    > vegetables ad a litle chicken after that.


    Hear! Hear! (Make me almost want to get sick. Almost.)

    -T


  14. #14
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 04:23 PM, Todd wrote:
    > Proline, Glycine and Gelatin.
    > It is because I need to break down the bones to get at these three.


    If the bones smash or start to crumble under touch,
    you have got it right.

  15. #15
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 04:27 PM, Todd wrote:
    > On 02/08/2013 04:23 PM, Todd wrote:
    >> Proline, Glycine and Gelatin.
    >> It is because I need to break down the bones to get at these three.

    >
    > If the bones smash or start to crumble under touch,
    > you have got it right.


    Hunter gathers let nothing go to waste. They ate the marrow too.

  16. #16
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?


    "Todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:kf43rf$kbm$[email protected].> Hi >
    > Absolutely.
    >
    > The community carrots never make it to the cooked stage. Sometimes
    > they don't even make it to the refrigerator. (I cuts them up and
    > add them to the community tomatoes that got crushed in the bad
    > and feast.) I mainly use cooked carrots as "seasoning".
    >
    > Was hoping for a variety of carrot to grow that was the most
    > T2 friendly. (Man their seeds are tiny!)


    I eat store bought carrots all the time. They taste fine and they don't
    spike me. Again, there is no one food that we all eat or don't eat.



  17. #17
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 09:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
    > "Todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:kf43rf$kbm$[email protected].> Hi >
    >> Absolutely.
    >>
    >> The community carrots never make it to the cooked stage. Sometimes
    >> they don't even make it to the refrigerator. (I cuts them up and
    >> add them to the community tomatoes that got crushed in the bad
    >> and feast.) I mainly use cooked carrots as "seasoning".
    >>
    >> Was hoping for a variety of carrot to grow that was the most
    >> T2 friendly. (Man their seeds are tiny!)

    >
    > I eat store bought carrots all the time. They taste fine and they don't
    > spike me. Again, there is no one food that we all eat or don't eat.


    Hi Julie,

    I eat store bought carrots in the winter when my local community
    grower is closed. There is no comparison against a real carrot.
    The first time I bought them, they stunk up the car so bad that
    I almost went crazy not pulling aver and devouring them on the
    spot. Imagine carrots that smell good. And *A LOT* of smell.
    The stunk up my house getting them inside too. They did not
    last very long. (Yes, I shared with my wife.)

    I have a theory (not the first to come up with it) that the
    reason people avoid produce is that it tastes like crap. If you
    ever manage to find a community grower, you will know what I
    mean. I have to discipline myself or I'd buy everything. It
    tastes so good. You really have to find one of these growers!
    (Fun to feed the chickens [the "Ladies"] too. They will explain
    it to you when you get there.)

    It has been said that every family needs three things:
    1) their own doctor, 2) their own dentist, and 3) their own
    farmer. :-)

    -T


  18. #18
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    Todd wrote:
    > On 02/08/2013 09:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
    >> "Todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:kf43rf$kbm$[email protected].> Hi >
    >>> Absolutely.
    >>>
    >>> The community carrots never make it to the cooked stage. Sometimes
    >>> they don't even make it to the refrigerator. (I cuts them up and
    >>> add them to the community tomatoes that got crushed in the bad
    >>> and feast.) I mainly use cooked carrots as "seasoning".
    >>>
    >>> Was hoping for a variety of carrot to grow that was the most
    >>> T2 friendly. (Man their seeds are tiny!)

    >>
    >> I eat store bought carrots all the time. They taste fine and they
    >> don't spike me. Again, there is no one food that we all eat or
    >> don't eat.

    >
    > Hi Julie,
    >
    > I eat store bought carrots in the winter when my local community
    > grower is closed. There is no comparison against a real carrot.
    > The first time I bought them, they stunk up the car so bad that
    > I almost went crazy not pulling aver and devouring them on the
    > spot. Imagine carrots that smell good. And *A LOT* of smell.
    > The stunk up my house getting them inside too. They did not
    > last very long. (Yes, I shared with my wife.)


    I have grown carrots. I have gotten them when I had a CSA box. I noticed
    *no* difference whatever.
    >
    > I have a theory (not the first to come up with it) that the
    > reason people avoid produce is that it tastes like crap. If you
    > ever manage to find a community grower, you will know what I
    > mean. I have to discipline myself or I'd buy everything. It
    > tastes so good. You really have to find one of these growers!
    > (Fun to feed the chickens [the "Ladies"] too. They will explain
    > it to you when you get there.)


    Produce doesn't taste like crap. Vegetables are my favorite foods with some
    exceptions. I have an extreme dislike for broccoli, Brussel sprouts,
    asparagus, avocados and cooked cauliflower. Raw cauliflower tastes okay but
    it's not something I'd seek out. Also dislike parsnips.

    My grandparents had chickens as did my best friend when I was growing up.
    So nobody needs to explain chickens to me.
    >
    > It has been said that every family needs three things:
    > 1) their own doctor, 2) their own dentist, and 3) their own
    > farmer. :-)


    Don't know who said that but if your produce is bad, then you need to find
    another store. We get very good produce here and most stores have a good
    selection of organic. I avoid the Farmer's Markets. I have seen what they
    are selling and bought some a couple of times. It is often rotting or close
    to it and very over priced.



  19. #19
    Todd Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?

    On 02/08/2013 10:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
    > My grandparents had chickens as did my best friend when I was growing up.
    > So nobody needs to explain chickens to me.



    I was referring to full circle farming. In the chicken -->
    out the chicken --> in the soil --> in the plant -->
    out the plant --> back into the chicken. Sometimes
    other livestock is used.

    Most commercial produce is bread for two purposes:
    1) to lay flat in a shipping container and 2) not
    to rot in the container. This is one of the reasons
    why it tastes like crap. Another reason is that
    commercial produce is very seldom grown full circle,
    not even organic produce. Plus commercial organic
    produce is picked so green is bad for you.

    Oh I so know what you mean about the farmers markets.
    You are blessed to have good source of produce at
    your stores. I too love my produce (grown right).

    Everyone needs there own farmer. (I have come to
    so enjoy picking my own tomatoes, peppers, and
    egg plant. $2.99/lb.)

    Oh! Have you tried real spinach. Spinach is not flat.
    Only the hybridized stuff lays flat in a shipping container.
    Which is probably why is tastes like crap. The real stuff
    is all crinkly. I was thinking of trying to grow some
    real heirloom spinach to see how much different it tastes.
    Have you tried any heirloom spiniches.

    -T

  20. #20
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: OT (sort of): Low GI carrots for the garden?


    "Todd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:kf4ud1$2b9$[email protected]..
    > On 02/08/2013 10:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
    >> My grandparents had chickens as did my best friend when I was growing up.
    >> So nobody needs to explain chickens to me.

    >
    >
    > I was referring to full circle farming. In the chicken -->
    > out the chicken --> in the soil --> in the plant -->
    > out the plant --> back into the chicken. Sometimes
    > other livestock is used.


    That's generally how farming is done. Isn't it? That's the way it's done
    here!
    >
    > Most commercial produce is bread for two purposes:
    > 1) to lay flat in a shipping container and 2) not
    > to rot in the container. This is one of the reasons
    > why it tastes like crap. Another reason is that
    > commercial produce is very seldom grown full circle,
    > not even organic produce. Plus commercial organic
    > produce is picked so green is bad for you.


    Huh? How could produce be bread?

    Again... Our produce here does not taste like crap. Funny you should
    mention the name Full Circle. That's the name of the farm that I used to
    get my CSA box from. But we quit getting it. There was just too much fruit
    in there and we're not big fruit eaters. Well, husband is, but he wouldn't
    eat what was in the box.

    I'm sorry if the produce tastes like crap where you live. I have lived in
    WA, CA, MA, PA and NY. The only place where produce could be a problem was
    MA. I lived on the Cape and nothing was grown locally. It wasn't so much
    that it tasted bad. But it wasn't always fresh.

    Not all commercial produce is picked "green" as you say and some of it
    starts out green. Like lettuce. I think there is a lot you don't know
    about farming and produce. Again, I come from a long line of farmers and
    for much of my life I did have a garden. I gave up on having one here.
    What I did grow tasted no better than what I can get at the store. Used to
    be the home grown tomatoes tasted better. That's not the case any more.
    Not here anyway.
    >
    > Oh I so know what you mean about the farmers markets.
    > You are blessed to have good source of produce at
    > your stores. I too love my produce (grown right).
    >
    > Everyone needs there own farmer. (I have come to
    > so enjoy picking my own tomatoes, peppers, and
    > egg plant. $2.99/lb.)


    That's very expensive! Where do you live where it costs that much? I am
    lucky to have Winco here where produce is cheap.
    >
    > Oh! Have you tried real spinach. Spinach is not flat.
    > Only the hybridized stuff lays flat in a shipping container.
    > Which is probably why is tastes like crap. The real stuff
    > is all crinkly. I was thinking of trying to grow some
    > real heirloom spinach to see how much different it tastes.
    > Have you tried any heirloom spiniches.


    Good gravy! Some spinach is flat. Okay... Some background. Not only do I
    come from a long line of farmers but... I used to be the Garden Shop
    manager at K Mart. Please to not try to tell me about gardening. No, I am
    not a master gardener. But I attended enough gardening conventions that I
    do know a tad about it. And yes, I have grown plenty of spinach and other
    greens. They are one of the few things one can almost always grow with
    success in this climate here in the PNW. I have not tried heirloom spinach
    and I don't eat much spinach at all. Greens are something I don't digest
    very well.

    I have not honestly noticed too much difference between heirloom tomatoes
    and regular ones as far as the taste goes. The heirloom ones do come in
    pretty colors and can look ugly. I picked up a bag of some sort of tomatoes
    at Central Market the other day. Wonderful things. They look like Campari
    but I don't think that's exactly what they are. Was only $2.99 for a huge
    bag. I have a few leftovers that I will be putting in my soup tomorrow.
    Also some green beans, carrots, celery, potatoes, onions and still need to
    buy a zucchini. I would put a small amount of spinach if I could actually
    buy a small amount but AFAIK, Winco doesn't sell it loose and they have no
    salad bar. So I will make do with what I have. Will also put a can of some
    kind of white beans in there. Some ground beef that I have in the freezer.
    And some tomato juice and maybe beef broth. I think I will pick up some
    fresh parsley too. Ahhhhhh.



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32