Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Liege syrup

  1. #1
    Nick Cramer Guest

    Default Liege syrup

    Liege syrup - as sent to my daughters. Read its history!

    This is not diabetes friendly! It is absolutely delicious and would also
    make a nice gift.

    If you make it, please let me know what you and the kids think of it, so I
    can tell Philippe. A series of pics would be nice, too!

    From my friend, Philippe Lemaire, Liege, Belgium [modified by Nick -
    January 7, 2009]:

    Here is your own recipe with the French removed :

    Trial size batch - dad

    [NOTE: The original recipe uses 8 kg of fruit to produce 1 kg of syrup.
    Will post or email on demand.]

    Ingredients: Makes 1/2 lb (+ / - ) syrup [Very dense - we got 1/2 cup. With
    the mod, we should get more next time ]

    1 lb tart apples to 3 lb pears

    Preparing Sirop de Liege

    Wash apples and pears. Remove stems. Do not peel. Quarter them.

    Put fruit in a large pot and simmer over very low heat for 4 hours or more.
    [Without any addition] [Nick note: For more even heat, place the pot in a
    large, dry Cast Iron pan]

    After that time, as soon as the preparation loses consistency, pour it into
    a muslin bag and hang it up to drip, with no squeezing or pressing. This
    may take quite a while!

    Let the resulting juice drip into the preserving pan after which, simmer
    over very low heat [Nick note: For more even heat, place the pot in a
    large, dry Cast Iron pan] and reduce syrup for about 3 hours with it
    partially covered: the mass must be thick and glossy. Removing from time to
    time the scum is a good idea...

    To check the status of cooking, add a drop of syrup in a bowl of cold
    water. If the drop remains whole, cooking is complete.

    Immediately pour into stoneware or glassware jars (previously scalded and
    carefully dried). Keep in a cool place, preferably in a cellar.
    Artisanal bought syrup keeps for ever, so shall yours too unless if
    something got on the surface !

    Hardware:

    * A large preserving pan (as used for cooking jam)
    * A skimmer
    * A knife
    * A cheese-cloth
    * Stoneware pots are preferred

    This recipe sounds quite possible to be done at home.

    Nice in sweet and sour sauce served with onion and beer...
    Nice with Limburger or fresh cheese...
    Nice on a buttered slice of bread or a croissant...
    On panckakes

    adds a full, fruity flavour to all your preparations: dressings, marinades,
    sauces...

    Waiting the pics... Philippe

    --
    Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
    I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
    You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

  2. #2
    Nicky Guest

    Default Re: Liege syrup

    On 09 Jan 2009 00:15:54 GMT, Nick Cramer <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Liege syrup - as sent to my daughters. Read its history!


    How interesting! If you took the drying process a stage further (lay
    the syrup on a baking tray and dry in a very low oven) you'd get a
    South African fruit leather - lasts as long as jerky, lovely stuff! I
    guess that since so many Afrikaaners came from that part of the world,
    that makes sense...

    Nicky.
    T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
    D&E, 100ug thyroxine
    Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

  3. #3
    Nick Cramer Guest

    Default Re: Liege syrup

    Nicky <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 09 Jan 2009 00:15:54 GMT, Nick Cramer <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Liege syrup - as sent to my daughters. Read its history!

    >
    > How interesting! If you took the drying process a stage further (lay
    > the syrup on a baking tray and dry in a very low oven) you'd get a
    > South African fruit leather - lasts as long as jerky, lovely stuff! I
    > guess that since so many Afrikaaners came from that part of the world,
    > that makes sense...


    Yes. That would be good, Nicky. I had something like that, long, long ago.
    As it is, I damn near burnt this. It has that very slightly scorched flavor
    that I like in rice or tomato sauce.

    --
    Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
    I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
    You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

  4. #4
    Nicky Guest

    Default Re: Liege syrup

    On 09 Jan 2009 09:25:22 GMT, Nick Cramer <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yes. That would be good, Nicky. I had something like that, long, long ago.
    >As it is, I damn near burnt this. It has that very slightly scorched flavor
    >that I like in rice or tomato sauce.


    LOL - you mean there are people in the world I could feed scorched
    tomato sauce to who would think I did it on purpose? :P Come and I'll
    feed you, Nick

    Nicky.
    T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
    D&E, 100ug thyroxine
    Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

  5. #5
    Nick Cramer Guest

    Default Re: Liege syrup

    Nicky <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Nick Cramer <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes. That would be good, Nicky. I had something like that, long, long
    > >ago. As it is, I damn near burnt this. It has that very slightly
    > >scorched flavor that I like in rice or tomato sauce.

    >
    > LOL - you mean there are people in the world I could feed scorched
    > tomato sauce to who would think I did it on purpose? :P Come and I'll
    > feed you, Nick


    Thanks, Nicky. If I'm ever able to make it across the pond again, I'll
    definitely take you up on that!

    --
    Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
    I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
    Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
    You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32