Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

  1. #1
    Susan Guest

    Default Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    x-no-archive: yes

    Trying to regulate his food intake while making dry food available to my
    other two who both require it is going to be a nightmare... plus will
    have to inject insulin 2x daily.

    Between Jasper's prednisolone and presumed lymphoma, Zoe's pooping in
    our tub any time we don't close the bathroom door at night, and now
    Freddy needing food and meds when all he wants to do is eat 24/7... I'm
    ready to tear hair out.

    He needs a one cat nice little old person household where his food
    intake and meds can be well regulated.

    And I need a break!

    He's been drinking about a pint or two of water for the past week to ten
    days and peeing out litter boulders of enormous size and weight, so took
    him to the vet yesterday. He's already on a high protein, very low carb
    diet, along with my others, but nothing slows his appetite, and it
    clearly can't control his bg in such quantities.

    Susan

  2. #2
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 6/24/2012 10:44 AM, Susan wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Trying to regulate his food intake while making dry food available to my
    > other two who both require it is going to be a nightmare... plus will
    > have to inject insulin 2x daily.
    >
    > Between Jasper's prednisolone and presumed lymphoma, Zoe's pooping in
    > our tub any time we don't close the bathroom door at night, and now
    > Freddy needing food and meds when all he wants to do is eat 24/7... I'm
    > ready to tear hair out.
    >
    > He needs a one cat nice little old person household where his food
    > intake and meds can be well regulated.
    >
    > And I need a break!
    >
    > He's been drinking about a pint or two of water for the past week to ten
    > days and peeing out litter boulders of enormous size and weight, so took
    > him to the vet yesterday. He's already on a high protein, very low carb
    > diet, along with my others, but nothing slows his appetite, and it
    > clearly can't control his bg in such quantities.
    >


    P.S. I put him in the large dog crate I bought when I had to take time
    to introduce him to the other cats gradually... he staged a violent
    resurrection that left litter flung all over the crate, his food and bed
    (he's usually very neat in a deep litter box with shallow fill) and the
    surrounding floor. He was lying in the muck so I had to brush dried on
    clumping litter because he pees so freaking much, too right now. He
    really declared war on that crate and us, quite the rebellion from a
    very sweet, mellow cat.

    Who no doubt was pissed about not having access to the dry food he's
    been gorging on at night, he messed up what food and water I'd put in
    the crate.

    Susan


  3. #3
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic


    "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Trying to regulate his food intake while making dry food available to my
    > other two who both require it is going to be a nightmare... plus will have
    > to inject insulin 2x daily.
    >
    > Between Jasper's prednisolone and presumed lymphoma, Zoe's pooping in our
    > tub any time we don't close the bathroom door at night, and now Freddy
    > needing food and meds when all he wants to do is eat 24/7... I'm ready to
    > tear hair out.
    >
    > He needs a one cat nice little old person household where his food intake
    > and meds can be well regulated.
    >
    > And I need a break!
    >
    > He's been drinking about a pint or two of water for the past week to ten
    > days and peeing out litter boulders of enormous size and weight, so took
    > him to the vet yesterday. He's already on a high protein, very low carb
    > diet, along with my others, but nothing slows his appetite, and it clearly
    > can't control his bg in such quantities.


    Sorry to hear that.



  4. #4
    Ozgirl Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic



    "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:js7vql$74l$[email protected]..
    >
    > "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> Trying to regulate his food intake while making dry food available to
    >> my other two who both require it is going to be a nightmare... plus
    >> will have to inject insulin 2x daily.
    >>
    >> Between Jasper's prednisolone and presumed lymphoma, Zoe's pooping in
    >> our tub any time we don't close the bathroom door at night, and now
    >> Freddy needing food and meds when all he wants to do is eat 24/7...
    >> I'm ready to tear hair out.
    >>
    >> He needs a one cat nice little old person household where his food
    >> intake and meds can be well regulated.
    >>
    >> And I need a break!
    >>
    >> He's been drinking about a pint or two of water for the past week to
    >> ten days and peeing out litter boulders of enormous size and weight,
    >> so took him to the vet yesterday. He's already on a high protein,
    >> very low carb diet, along with my others, but nothing slows his
    >> appetite, and it clearly can't control his bg in such quantities.

    >
    > Sorry to hear that.


    My daughter's Maltese dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's. This
    precious dog has cost her a fortune over 8 years including a stroke at
    age 2. If there is a dog problem that can be had she has had it.


  5. #5
    W. Baker Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    Ozgirl <[email protected]> wrote:


    : "Julie Bove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:js7vql$74l$[email protected]..
    : >
    : > "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : > news:[email protected]..
    : >> x-no-archive: yes
    : >>
    : >> Trying to regulate his food intake while making dry food available to
    : >> my other two who both require it is going to be a nightmare... plus
    : >> will have to inject insulin 2x daily.
    : >>
    : >> Between Jasper's prednisolone and presumed lymphoma, Zoe's pooping in
    : >> our tub any time we don't close the bathroom door at night, and now
    : >> Freddy needing food and meds when all he wants to do is eat 24/7...
    : >> I'm ready to tear hair out.
    : >>
    : >> He needs a one cat nice little old person household where his food
    : >> intake and meds can be well regulated.
    : >>
    : >> And I need a break!
    : >>
    : >> He's been drinking about a pint or two of water for the past week to
    : >> ten days and peeing out litter boulders of enormous size and weight,
    : >> so took him to the vet yesterday. He's already on a high protein,
    : >> very low carb diet, along with my others, but nothing slows his
    : >> appetite, and it clearly can't control his bg in such quantities.
    : >
    : > Sorry to hear that.

    : My daughter's Maltese dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's. This
    : precious dog has cost her a fortune over 8 years including a stroke at
    : age 2. If there is a dog problem that can be had she has had it.

    Andit looks like some people ones too:-)

    Wendy

  6. #6
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 6/24/2012 11:04 PM, W. Baker wrote:

    > Andit looks like some people ones too:-)
    >


    They tell me cats rarely get Cushing's, but Freddy sure looks and acts
    it, from his uber thick coat and heavy skin flaking to his appetite and
    now diabetes.

    It's extremely hard to regulate his intake of dry food in a multi cat
    household where the others need it out all day; one doesn't eat canned
    food, the other needs to keep on weight and get plenty of protein on
    prednisolone.

    I am switching from Halo Sensitive to Wellness Core grain free dry
    again, hoping that will reduce his intake (he's 22lbs and NOT big except
    for being obese) gradually, and will take him to the an. hosp. for two
    days and nights of bg and insulin regimen testing once the dietary
    switch is complete.

    Gotta get his carbs and his weight down.

    Susan


  7. #7
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 6/25/2012 10:29 AM, Susan wrote:

    > They tell me cats rarely get Cushing's, but Freddy sure looks and acts
    > it, from his uber thick coat and heavy skin flaking to his appetite and
    > now diabetes.
    >
    > It's extremely hard to regulate his intake of dry food in a multi cat
    > household where the others need it out all day; one doesn't eat canned
    > food, the other needs to keep on weight and get plenty of protein on
    > prednisolone.
    >
    > I am switching from Halo Sensitive to Wellness Core grain free dry
    > again, hoping that will reduce his intake (he's 22lbs and NOT big except
    > for being obese) gradually, and will take him to the an. hosp. for two
    > days and nights of bg and insulin regimen testing once the dietary
    > switch is complete.
    >
    > Gotta get his carbs and his weight down.
    >


    Two days on a mixture of the carby food with Wellness Core grain free...
    he doesn't like it, is eating way less, not draining the water bowl, and
    he's moving around better and not apparently hungry or mewing for food.

    After I switch over to 100% Core for a week or two, I'll have his bg
    retested and see if he still tests high.

    May be dodging a health and injection bullet here.

    Susan

  8. #8
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > On 6/25/2012 10:29 AM, Susan wrote:
    >
    >> They tell me cats rarely get Cushing's, but Freddy sure looks and acts
    >> it, from his uber thick coat and heavy skin flaking to his appetite and
    >> now diabetes.
    >>
    >> It's extremely hard to regulate his intake of dry food in a multi cat
    >> household where the others need it out all day; one doesn't eat canned
    >> food, the other needs to keep on weight and get plenty of protein on
    >> prednisolone.
    >>
    >> I am switching from Halo Sensitive to Wellness Core grain free dry
    >> again, hoping that will reduce his intake (he's 22lbs and NOT big except
    >> for being obese) gradually, and will take him to the an. hosp. for two
    >> days and nights of bg and insulin regimen testing once the dietary
    >> switch is complete.
    >>
    >> Gotta get his carbs and his weight down.
    >>

    >
    > Two days on a mixture of the carby food with Wellness Core grain free...
    > he doesn't like it, is eating way less, not draining the water bowl, and
    > he's moving around better and not apparently hungry or mewing for food.
    >
    > After I switch over to 100% Core for a week or two, I'll have his bg
    > retested and see if he still tests high.
    >
    > May be dodging a health and injection bullet here.
    >
    > Susan



    I hope for the best for you and your cat.

    Cheri


  9. #9
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 6/26/2012 7:47 PM, Cheri wrote:

    > I hope for the best for you and your cat.
    >


    Thanks, and he's not even mine, just dumped on me by DD last July.

    I can't believe how much better he's looking and moving today... and not
    begging for food, even.

    Learned today that he had sugar in his urine, too, but all his other
    tests are still normal.

    Vet agreed to wait til he's been on high protein/v. low carb for two
    weeks, then retest glucose.

    Susan


  10. #10
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > On 6/26/2012 7:47 PM, Cheri wrote:
    >
    >> I hope for the best for you and your cat.
    >>

    >
    > Thanks, and he's not even mine, just dumped on me by DD last July.
    >
    > I can't believe how much better he's looking and moving today... and not
    > begging for food, even.
    >
    > Learned today that he had sugar in his urine, too, but all his other tests
    > are still normal.
    >
    > Vet agreed to wait til he's been on high protein/v. low carb for two
    > weeks, then retest glucose.
    >
    > Susan



    Well, he's yours now, lucky cat too. :-)

    Cheri


  11. #11
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 6/26/2012 9:34 PM, Cheri wrote:

    > Well, he's yours now, lucky cat too. :-)
    >
    >

    Two is my LIMIT.

    Now I have three, and the new one is the size of two.

    Susan

  12. #12
    Evelyn Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:52:57 -0400, Susan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >On 6/24/2012 10:44 AM, Susan wrote:
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> Trying to regulate his food intake while making dry food available to my
    >> other two who both require it is going to be a nightmare... plus will
    >> have to inject insulin 2x daily.
    >>
    >> Between Jasper's prednisolone and presumed lymphoma, Zoe's pooping in
    >> our tub any time we don't close the bathroom door at night, and now
    >> Freddy needing food and meds when all he wants to do is eat 24/7... I'm
    >> ready to tear hair out.
    >>
    >> He needs a one cat nice little old person household where his food
    >> intake and meds can be well regulated.
    >>
    >> And I need a break!
    >>
    >> He's been drinking about a pint or two of water for the past week to ten
    >> days and peeing out litter boulders of enormous size and weight, so took
    >> him to the vet yesterday. He's already on a high protein, very low carb
    >> diet, along with my others, but nothing slows his appetite, and it
    >> clearly can't control his bg in such quantities.
    >>

    >
    >P.S. I put him in the large dog crate I bought when I had to take time
    >to introduce him to the other cats gradually... he staged a violent
    >resurrection that left litter flung all over the crate, his food and bed
    >(he's usually very neat in a deep litter box with shallow fill) and the
    >surrounding floor. He was lying in the muck so I had to brush dried on
    >clumping litter because he pees so freaking much, too right now. He
    >really declared war on that crate and us, quite the rebellion from a
    >very sweet, mellow cat.
    >
    >Who no doubt was pissed about not having access to the dry food he's
    >been gorging on at night, he messed up what food and water I'd put in
    >the crate.
    >
    >Susan



    Hi Susan,

    I haven't been following the newsgroups in a little while, but this is
    one group I always enjoyed, so I am checking in.

    I am sorry to hear of your cat's diabetes issues.

    I just wanted to share something. The rather expensive, new corn
    based kitty litter is FANTASTIC! It clumps for easy cleanup, but it
    doesn't stick on their fur or your floors, and it has no horrible dust
    for you or the cat to breathe. My son told me about it and we
    switched, with some misgivings because of the price, but within DAYS
    we realized the stuff is actually a bargain because it goes a lot
    further. My son has 4 cats and he has to clean the litter boxes
    twice a day. He swears this has changed his life. Ours too.

    One of my cats is always hungry all the time. She begs for additional
    food constantly. I am wondering if she might be headed for diabetes
    too. I think I will mention this next vet visit, which we are due for
    anyway.

    Best,
    Evelyn

  13. #13
    Evelyn Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:00:02 -0400, Susan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >On 6/26/2012 9:34 PM, Cheri wrote:
    >
    >> Well, he's yours now, lucky cat too. :-)
    >>
    >>

    >Two is my LIMIT.
    >
    >Now I have three, and the new one is the size of two.
    >
    >Susan



    Maybe when he loses weight he will be less diabetic. It seems to work
    that way for people, maybe for cats too?

    Evelyn

  14. #14
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 6/30/2012 10:02 AM, Evelyn wrote:

    > I haven't been following the newsgroups in a little while, but this is
    > one group I always enjoyed, so I am checking in.
    >
    > I am sorry to hear of your cat's diabetes issues.


    Thanks, Evelyn. I was just thinking of you the other day, and wondering
    how things are coming along post op for you. Hope progress is still
    making life better and better.
    >
    > I just wanted to share something. The rather expensive, new corn
    > based kitty litter is FANTASTIC! It clumps for easy cleanup, but it
    > doesn't stick on their fur or your floors, and it has no horrible dust
    > for you or the cat to breathe. My son told me about it and we
    > switched, with some misgivings because of the price, but within DAYS
    > we realized the stuff is actually a bargain because it goes a lot
    > further. My son has 4 cats and he has to clean the litter boxes
    > twice a day. He swears this has changed his life. Ours too.


    I'll have to look into it. Is there a particular brand name?

    >
    > One of my cats is always hungry all the time. She begs for additional
    > food constantly. I am wondering if she might be headed for diabetes
    > too. I think I will mention this next vet visit, which we are due for
    > anyway.


    Freddie was eating enormous amounts increasingly of the Halo Sensitive,
    which I looked at carefully, and it is very carby. Cups per day, plus
    his little wet meals, and drinking about a pint of water overnight!

    Since the switch to Wellness Core high protein, grain free, I can leave
    out a single cup of dry food overnight for three cats and more than a
    third is still there in the morning! He's down .8 lbs this week alone,
    instead of bone dry, the water dish for three cats is down maybe one
    inch overnight (high protein makes them thirstier) and his eyes are no
    longer oozing, he's just spunkier, moving better, more energetic and
    less sheddy... all in one week!

    It's incredible how controlled and self regulated Freddy's eating is
    now. And he just looks younger in every way.

    Vet will check his bg after another 10 days or so and we'll see if we
    still have an issue.

    Susan

  15. #15
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 6/30/2012 10:04 AM, Evelyn wrote:

    > Maybe when he loses weight he will be less diabetic. It seems to work
    > that way for people, maybe for cats too?
    >


    I disagree. BG is well controlled without weight loss on low carb/high
    protein. I think all that talk about weight loss overlooks the effect
    of the actual change in eating to lose weight that lowers bg.

    See my earlier post... he's already stopped the excessive drinking and
    eating, within 24 hours of an initial blend of old/vs new food.

    Will report back when I get his new bg reading.

    Susan

  16. #16
    Evelyn Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:13:34 -0400, Susan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >On 6/30/2012 10:02 AM, Evelyn wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't been following the newsgroups in a little while, but this is
    >> one group I always enjoyed, so I am checking in.
    >>
    >> I am sorry to hear of your cat's diabetes issues.

    >
    >Thanks, Evelyn. I was just thinking of you the other day, and wondering
    >how things are coming along post op for you. Hope progress is still
    >making life better and better.
    >>
    >> I just wanted to share something. The rather expensive, new corn
    >> based kitty litter is FANTASTIC! It clumps for easy cleanup, but it
    >> doesn't stick on their fur or your floors, and it has no horrible dust
    >> for you or the cat to breathe. My son told me about it and we
    >> switched, with some misgivings because of the price, but within DAYS
    >> we realized the stuff is actually a bargain because it goes a lot
    >> further. My son has 4 cats and he has to clean the litter boxes
    >> twice a day. He swears this has changed his life. Ours too.

    >
    >I'll have to look into it. Is there a particular brand name?
    >
    >>
    >> One of my cats is always hungry all the time. She begs for additional
    >> food constantly. I am wondering if she might be headed for diabetes
    >> too. I think I will mention this next vet visit, which we are due for
    >> anyway.

    >
    >Freddie was eating enormous amounts increasingly of the Halo Sensitive,
    >which I looked at carefully, and it is very carby. Cups per day, plus
    >his little wet meals, and drinking about a pint of water overnight!
    >
    >Since the switch to Wellness Core high protein, grain free, I can leave
    >out a single cup of dry food overnight for three cats and more than a
    >third is still there in the morning! He's down .8 lbs this week alone,
    >instead of bone dry, the water dish for three cats is down maybe one
    >inch overnight (high protein makes them thirstier) and his eyes are no
    >longer oozing, he's just spunkier, moving better, more energetic and
    >less sheddy... all in one week!
    >
    >It's incredible how controlled and self regulated Freddy's eating is
    >now. And he just looks younger in every way.
    >
    >Vet will check his bg after another 10 days or so and we'll see if we
    >still have an issue.
    >
    >Susan


    Hi Susan,

    I am not losing any more weight, but I am still not in need of
    insulin, (only just taking one Januvia per day) Feeling better than
    I have in years. I still can't eat large meals anymore, which is
    quite a blessing. I am full and satisfied after a tiny meal about the
    size a kid would eat. For those who don't know, I had the vertical
    gastric sleeve surgery a year ago. I have lost only about 30 lbs,
    but it was a very critical 30 lbs, and my life is infinitely better
    since then. Lots of energy and doing things I haven't done in years!

    I made a note of the cat food you mentioned and will see if I can find
    it at either Petsmart or the local pet food store. They can order it
    for me if it isn't in stock.

    One of my cats absolutely refuses ALL dry food even if she is
    starving, she just won't eat it. The other one eats some canned and
    some dry. I still give them raw chicken livers from time to time and
    it really is good for them. Cheap too!

    I buy a container of livers for about $2.50 and put them into ziploc
    sandwich bags, then freeze. I take one out in the morning for later
    on, and the cats just love them. If I don't freeze them right away,
    they can turn nasty smelling rather quickly, so that has been the best
    way. My one cat who was getting dry patches with less hair on them
    has fully recovered her hair and her coat is shiny and silky, no
    dryness anymore. Liver did that!

    Best,
    Evelyn




  17. #17
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Freaking fat cat is now diabetic

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 6/30/2012 10:37 AM, Evelyn wrote:

    > I am not losing any more weight, but I am still not in need of
    > insulin, (only just taking one Januvia per day) Feeling better than
    > I have in years.


    Good to hear you feel so much better!

    I still can't eat large meals anymore, which is
    > quite a blessing. I am full and satisfied after a tiny meal about the
    > size a kid would eat. For those who don't know, I had the vertical
    > gastric sleeve surgery a year ago. I have lost only about 30 lbs,
    > but it was a very critical 30 lbs, and my life is infinitely better
    > since then. Lots of energy and doing things I haven't done in years!


    Evelyn, considering how little you're eating, I think it could be really
    helpful for you to have a really serious look at thyroid, growth hormone
    and steroid levels, sheesh!

    >
    > I made a note of the cat food you mentioned and will see if I can find
    > it at either Petsmart or the local pet food store. They can order it
    > for me if it isn't in stock.


    I get it at Petco, so I have to think you can get it at Petsmart. I
    started off by mixing it half and half with Halo, gradually reducing the
    Halo over days. He started eating less immediately. Now I've increased
    the size of his two wet meals (also grain free/low carb) and the amount
    of dry he eats is a small fraction of what he was pounding down before,
    self regulated.

    >
    > One of my cats absolutely refuses ALL dry food even if she is
    > starving, she just won't eat it. The other one eats some canned and
    > some dry. I still give them raw chicken livers from time to time and
    > it really is good for them. Cheap too!


    My problem was that my little one only eats dry, and Freddy wouldn't
    STOP eating it...

    >
    > I buy a container of livers for about $2.50 and put them into ziploc
    > sandwich bags, then freeze. I take one out in the morning for later
    > on, and the cats just love them. If I don't freeze them right away,
    > they can turn nasty smelling rather quickly, so that has been the best
    > way. My one cat who was getting dry patches with less hair on them
    > has fully recovered her hair and her coat is shiny and silky, no
    > dryness anymore. Liver did that!


    I wish mine would eat them, too, but no dice. Actually, liver is kind of
    carby, so probably not a good idea for Fat Freddy. Might trigger more
    cravings.

    Susan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32