Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 99

Thread: Chicken soup

  1. #1
    basilisk Guest

    Default Chicken soup


    Ingredients:

    7 chicken thighs (leave skin on for now)
    1 cup of green peas
    3.5 cups of chopped celery
    8 oz. okra pods cut in half (adds body to soup)
    1 cup chopped green onions bulb and tops
    1.5 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms
    1 cup of chopped green tomatoes (these are readily available in
    southern US, not sure about else where)
    1 smoked ham hock, if avoiding pork use a smoked turkey leg
    1 rosemary branch
    1 tsp cracked black pepper
    ..5 tsp of garlic powder
    2 tsp of salt
    5 bay leaves
    large pinch of sage

    Boil chicken (with skin) until tender in 5 quarts of water
    with sage, bay leaves, garlic powder, rosemary branch, ham hock,
    salt and pepper. Remove chicken thighs let cool until they can be
    deskinned and deboned, remove rosemary branch and bay leaves and
    discard them.

    While chicken is cooling, put everything but peas in boiling stock,
    cook for 20 minutes before adding prepared chicken back in, add
    chicken and cook for an additional 20 minutes adding peas in the last
    5 minutes.

    Sample and add salt and pepper to taste.

    before serving retrieve hamhock and save for breakfast, if using turkey
    remove it prior to add vegetables.

    Makes 20 2 cup servings with 4 grams of carbs, 68 calories and 7 grams
    of protein per serving.

    Enjoy

    basilisk

    --
    A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse

  2. #2
    Ozgirl Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    Sounds great, right up my alley for flavour I will just use red
    tomatoes, have never seen green here unless they are unripe tomatoes

    "basilisk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    newsrHvq.61474$[email protected]..
    >
    > Ingredients:
    >
    > 7 chicken thighs (leave skin on for now)
    > 1 cup of green peas
    > 3.5 cups of chopped celery
    > 8 oz. okra pods cut in half (adds body to soup)
    > 1 cup chopped green onions bulb and tops
    > 1.5 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms
    > 1 cup of chopped green tomatoes (these are readily available in
    > southern US, not sure about else where)
    > 1 smoked ham hock, if avoiding pork use a smoked turkey leg
    > 1 rosemary branch
    > 1 tsp cracked black pepper
    > .5 tsp of garlic powder
    > 2 tsp of salt
    > 5 bay leaves
    > large pinch of sage
    >
    > Boil chicken (with skin) until tender in 5 quarts of water
    > with sage, bay leaves, garlic powder, rosemary branch, ham hock,
    > salt and pepper. Remove chicken thighs let cool until they can be
    > deskinned and deboned, remove rosemary branch and bay leaves and
    > discard them.
    >
    > While chicken is cooling, put everything but peas in boiling stock,
    > cook for 20 minutes before adding prepared chicken back in, add
    > chicken and cook for an additional 20 minutes adding peas in the last
    > 5 minutes.
    >
    > Sample and add salt and pepper to taste.
    >
    > before serving retrieve hamhock and save for breakfast, if using
    > turkey
    > remove it prior to add vegetables.
    >
    > Makes 20 2 cup servings with 4 grams of carbs, 68 calories and 7 grams
    > of protein per serving.
    >
    > Enjoy
    >
    > basilisk
    >
    > --
    > A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse



  3. #3
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup


    "Ozgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Sounds great, right up my alley for flavour I will just use red
    > tomatoes, have never seen green here unless they are unripe tomatoes


    Not usually available here either unless you grow your own. I have seen
    Heirloom that are green or somewhat green but they're supposed to be that
    color



  4. #4
    basilisk Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:29:26 +1000, Ozgirl wrote:

    > Sounds great, right up my alley for flavour I will just use red
    > tomatoes, have never seen green here unless they are unripe tomatoes
    >



    Green tomatoes have a "different flavor", what I was refering to is an
    unripe tomato, I think there are heirloom tomatoes that stay green
    but I have never used them.

    basilisk


    --
    A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse

  5. #5
    basilisk Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 20:41:26 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

    > "Ozgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> Sounds great, right up my alley for flavour I will just use red
    >> tomatoes, have never seen green here unless they are unripe tomatoes

    >
    > Not usually available here either unless you grow your own. I have seen
    > Heirloom that are green or somewhat green but they're supposed to be
    > that color


    I believe that tomatillos could be used to good effect, but I have never
    tried them in this dish.

    basilisk

    --
    A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse

  6. #6
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup


    "basilisk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:HXHvq.138673$[email protected]..
    > On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:29:26 +1000, Ozgirl wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds great, right up my alley for flavour I will just use red
    >> tomatoes, have never seen green here unless they are unripe tomatoes
    >>

    >
    >
    > Green tomatoes have a "different flavor", what I was refering to is an
    > unripe tomato, I think there are heirloom tomatoes that stay green
    > but I have never used them.


    Yes. Those taste like a red tomato.



  7. #7
    Julie Bove Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup


    "basilisk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:k9Ivq.45678$[email protected]..
    > On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 20:41:26 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
    >
    >> "Ozgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> Sounds great, right up my alley for flavour I will just use red
    >>> tomatoes, have never seen green here unless they are unripe tomatoes

    >>
    >> Not usually available here either unless you grow your own. I have seen
    >> Heirloom that are green or somewhat green but they're supposed to be
    >> that color

    >
    > I believe that tomatillos could be used to good effect, but I have never
    > tried them in this dish.


    Maybe. Not sure how much they taste like green tomatoes though.



  8. #8
    W. Baker Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    basilisk <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Ingredients:

    : 7 chicken thighs (leave skin on for now)
    : 1 cup of green peas
    : 3.5 cups of chopped celery
    : 8 oz. okra pods cut in half (adds body to soup)
    : 1 cup chopped green onions bulb and tops
    : 1.5 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms
    : 1 cup of chopped green tomatoes (these are readily available in
    : southern US, not sure about else where)
    : 1 smoked ham hock, if avoiding pork use a smoked turkey leg
    : 1 rosemary branch
    : 1 tsp cracked black pepper
    : .5 tsp of garlic powder
    : 2 tsp of salt
    : 5 bay leaves
    : large pinch of sage

    : Boil chicken (with skin) until tender in 5 quarts of water
    : with sage, bay leaves, garlic powder, rosemary branch, ham hock,
    : salt and pepper. Remove chicken thighs let cool until they can be
    : deskinned and deboned, remove rosemary branch and bay leaves and
    : discard them.

    : While chicken is cooling, put everything but peas in boiling stock,
    : cook for 20 minutes before adding prepared chicken back in, add
    : chicken and cook for an additional 20 minutes adding peas in the last
    : 5 minutes.

    : Sample and add salt and pepper to taste.

    : before serving retrieve hamhock and save for breakfast, if using turkey
    : remove it prior to add vegetables.

    : Makes 20 2 cup servings with 4 grams of carbs, 68 calories and 7 grams
    : of protein per serving.

    : Enjoy

    : basilisk

    : --
    : A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse

    Wow! this is the first time I have seen a chicken soup without at least
    lots of onions, and also without celery and carrots. It looks
    interesting and would make quite a different one than my usual one, which
    is based on my mMother and grandmother's recipies, or, perhaps we shoudl
    say methods, as they were never exactly measured or written down.

    Wendy

  9. #9
    basilisk Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:21:33 +0000 (UTC), W. Baker wrote:

    > basilisk <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >: Ingredients:
    >
    >: 7 chicken thighs (leave skin on for now)
    >: 1 cup of green peas
    >: 3.5 cups of chopped celery
    >: 8 oz. okra pods cut in half (adds body to soup)
    >: 1 cup chopped green onions bulb and tops
    >: 1.5 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms
    >: 1 cup of chopped green tomatoes (these are readily available in
    >: southern US, not sure about else where)
    >: 1 smoked ham hock, if avoiding pork use a smoked turkey leg
    >: 1 rosemary branch
    >: 1 tsp cracked black pepper
    >: .5 tsp of garlic powder
    >: 2 tsp of salt
    >: 5 bay leaves
    >: large pinch of sage
    >
    >: Boil chicken (with skin) until tender in 5 quarts of water
    >: with sage, bay leaves, garlic powder, rosemary branch, ham hock,
    >: salt and pepper. Remove chicken thighs let cool until they can be
    >: deskinned and deboned, remove rosemary branch and bay leaves and
    >: discard them.
    >
    >: While chicken is cooling, put everything but peas in boiling stock,
    >: cook for 20 minutes before adding prepared chicken back in, add
    >: chicken and cook for an additional 20 minutes adding peas in the last
    >: 5 minutes.
    >
    >: Sample and add salt and pepper to taste.
    >
    >: before serving retrieve hamhock and save for breakfast, if using turkey
    >: remove it prior to add vegetables.
    >
    >: Makes 20 2 cup servings with 4 grams of carbs, 68 calories and 7 grams
    >: of protein per serving.
    >
    >: Enjoy
    >
    >: basilisk
    >
    >: --
    >: A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse
    >
    > Wow! this is the first time I have seen a chicken soup without at least
    > lots of onions, and also without celery and carrots. It looks
    > interesting and would make quite a different one than my usual one, which
    > is based on my mMother and grandmother's recipies, or, perhaps we shoudl
    > say methods, as they were never exactly measured or written down.
    >
    > Wendy


    Mother and Grandmother never really planned soups did they?
    The soups and stews were just amalgams of whatever were available
    at the moment.

    Traditionally chicken soup here would contain: carrots, onions and
    not quite so much celery, and would be thickened with cornstarch/flour.
    It would also have elbow macaroni added in most cases.

    In an effort to keep the carbs down the carrots, thickening, and noodles
    were elinminated.

    With the addition of file' (ground sassafras leaves), this could easily be
    considered a
    chicken gumbo.

  10. #10
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 11/14/2011 7:32 AM, basilisk wrote:

    > Mother and Grandmother never really planned soups did they?
    > The soups and stews were just amalgams of whatever were available
    > at the moment.


    My mother always planned her chicken soup and it was the same every
    time, as is mine.

    >
    > Traditionally chicken soup here would contain: carrots, onions and
    > not quite so much celery, and would be thickened with cornstarch/flour.
    > It would also have elbow macaroni added in most cases.
    >


    My mother's had no noodles, just carrot, onion (including a coupe of
    small whole ones), celery and lots of fresh dill. I have never had corn
    starch thickened chicken soup, nor do I think I'd want to. I'm
    accustomed to the clear broth style.

    Susan

  11. #11
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..

    > My mother's had no noodles, just carrot, onion (including a coupe of small
    > whole ones), celery and lots of fresh dill. I have never had corn starch
    > thickened chicken soup, nor do I think I'd want to. I'm accustomed to the
    > clear broth style.
    >
    > Susan


    Sounds like my moms and mine too.

    Cheri



  12. #12
    Ozgirl Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup



    "basilisk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:y3ys7sicevxt$.[email protected]..

    > Mother and Grandmother never really planned soups did they?
    > The soups and stews were just amalgams of whatever were available
    > at the moment.


    Yes, that how it was when I grew up and how it is now. In grandma's day
    and mum's early days it was whatever was available in the garden, for me
    I use up what's left over in the fridge

    Not many of my my recipes are the same twice

    > Traditionally chicken soup here would contain: carrots, onions and
    > not quite so much celery, and would be thickened with
    > cornstarch/flour.
    > It would also have elbow macaroni added in most cases.
    >
    > In an effort to keep the carbs down the carrots, thickening, and
    > noodles
    > were elinminated.
    >
    > With the addition of file' (ground sassafras leaves), this could
    > easily be
    > considered a
    > chicken gumbo.



  13. #13
    W. Baker Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    basilisk <[email protected]> wrote:
    : On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:21:33 +0000 (UTC), W. Baker wrote:

    : > basilisk <[email protected]> wrote:
    : >
    : >: Ingredients:
    : >
    : >: 7 chicken thighs (leave skin on for now)
    : >: 1 cup of green peas
    : >: 3.5 cups of chopped celery
    : >: 8 oz. okra pods cut in half (adds body to soup)
    : >: 1 cup chopped green onions bulb and tops
    : >: 1.5 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms
    : >: 1 cup of chopped green tomatoes (these are readily available in
    : >: southern US, not sure about else where)
    : >: 1 smoked ham hock, if avoiding pork use a smoked turkey leg
    : >: 1 rosemary branch
    : >: 1 tsp cracked black pepper
    : >: .5 tsp of garlic powder
    : >: 2 tsp of salt
    : >: 5 bay leaves
    : >: large pinch of sage
    : >
    : >: Boil chicken (with skin) until tender in 5 quarts of water
    : >: with sage, bay leaves, garlic powder, rosemary branch, ham hock,
    : >: salt and pepper. Remove chicken thighs let cool until they can be
    : >: deskinned and deboned, remove rosemary branch and bay leaves and
    : >: discard them.
    : >
    : >: While chicken is cooling, put everything but peas in boiling stock,
    : >: cook for 20 minutes before adding prepared chicken back in, add
    : >: chicken and cook for an additional 20 minutes adding peas in the last
    : >: 5 minutes.
    : >
    : >: Sample and add salt and pepper to taste.
    : >
    : >: before serving retrieve hamhock and save for breakfast, if using turkey
    : >: remove it prior to add vegetables.
    : >
    : >: Makes 20 2 cup servings with 4 grams of carbs, 68 calories and 7 grams
    : >: of protein per serving.
    : >
    : >: Enjoy
    : >
    : >: basilisk
    : >
    : >: --
    : >: A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse
    : >
    : > Wow! this is the first time I have seen a chicken soup without at least
    : > lots of onions, and also without celery and carrots. It looks
    : > interesting and would make quite a different one than my usual one, which
    : > is based on my mMother and grandmother's recipies, or, perhaps we shoudl
    : > say methods, as they were never exactly measured or written down.
    : >
    : > Wendy

    : Mother and Grandmother never really planned soups did they?
    : The soups and stews were just amalgams of whatever were available
    : at the moment.

    : Traditionally chicken soup here would contain: carrots, onions and
    : not quite so much celery, and would be thickened with cornstarch/flour.
    : It would also have elbow macaroni added in most cases.

    : In an effort to keep the carbs down the carrots, thickening, and noodles
    : were elinminated.

    : With the addition of file' (ground sassafras leaves), this could easily be
    : considered a
    : chicken gumbo.

    We never had thickened soup. it wa served, liquid with carrot slics
    floating in it, sometimes noodles or, even beter matzo balls. I often
    make it putting the boned skinned chicken that has given its all to the
    soup back in the soup and often keep the vegetables other than the carrots
    in it too, makign it into a one dish meal. Matzo balls are now only for
    very special occasions like Passover.

    Wendy

  14. #14
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    On 11/14/2011 8:45 AM, Susan wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > On 11/14/2011 7:32 AM, basilisk wrote:
    >
    >> Mother and Grandmother never really planned soups did they?
    >> The soups and stews were just amalgams of whatever were available
    >> at the moment.

    >
    > My mother always planned her chicken soup and it was the same every
    > time, as is mine.
    >
    >>
    >> Traditionally chicken soup here would contain: carrots, onions and
    >> not quite so much celery, and would be thickened with cornstarch/flour.
    >> It would also have elbow macaroni added in most cases.
    >>

    >
    > My mother's had no noodles, just carrot, onion (including a coupe of
    > small whole ones), celery and lots of fresh dill. I have never had corn
    > starch thickened chicken soup, nor do I think I'd want to. I'm
    > accustomed to the clear broth style.
    >


    The dill is a Russian thing. I learned that when we went to Russia in
    June. The chicken soup tasted like holidays at my aunt's house. :-)

    My chicken soup is very traditional, too. Lots of carrots, celery with
    the leaves, onions, fresh parsley (and the parsley root if available)
    and fresh dill. White pepper and salt are the only seasonings.

    If I can't get a parsley root, I'll peel and chunk a parsnip or white
    turnip.

    This soup requires lots of chicken. I usually use breast halves with the
    skin on. I save the wing tips from when I cut up chicken wings for
    snacking and they go in the soup. I also save necks and backs and
    gizzards from whole chickens for the soup. The more bones one adds, the
    more gelatin gets into the soup making it richer. I refrigerate it
    overnight and skim it of excess fat. It freezes wonderfully.

    I just defrosted 18 month-old frozen chicken soup last week to eat when
    I had to be on a clear liquid diet for a few days.

    When my kids were small and I was poor and struggling, I'd make entire
    pots of chicken soup with nothing but backs, necks and giblets.


    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  15. #15
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    On 11/14/2011 3:21 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

    > Yes, that how it was when I grew up and how it is now. In grandma's day
    > and mum's early days it was whatever was available in the garden, for me
    > I use up what's left over in the fridge



    I also make a "fridge" soup. Some nice beans or barley help.
    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  16. #16
    Janet Wilder Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    On 11/14/2011 4:25 PM, W. Baker wrote:

    > We never had thickened soup. it wa served, liquid with carrot slics
    > floating in it, sometimes noodles or, even beter matzo balls. I often
    > make it putting the boned skinned chicken that has given its all to the
    > soup back in the soup and often keep the vegetables other than the carrots
    > in it too, makign it into a one dish meal. Matzo balls are now only for
    > very special occasions like Passover.



    I can't even imagine thickening chicken soup. My late mother-in-law
    used to put the carrots in the blender and then put the pureed carrots
    into the soup. Got the kids eating carrots :-)

    I make matzo balls twice a year. Rosh Hashanna and Pesach. That's it.
    Those are the two times a year I make latkes, also.

    This year there will be about 8 people at my house to eat brisket and
    latkes for Chanukah. The friend I invited last year invited a whole
    bunch of other friends for this year. I just ordered a brand new
    Cuisinart from Kohl's. They had quite a deal and I'd been jonesing for a
    big one for a long, long time.


    --
    Janet Wilder
    Way-the-heck-south Texas
    Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

  17. #17
    Janet Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    Janet Wilder wrote:
    > On 11/14/2011 4:25 PM, W. Baker wrote:
    >
    >> We never had thickened soup. it wa served, liquid with carrot slics
    >> floating in it, sometimes noodles or, even beter matzo balls. I
    >> often make it putting the boned skinned chicken that has given its
    >> all to the soup back in the soup and often keep the vegetables other
    >> than the carrots in it too, makign it into a one dish meal. Matzo
    >> balls are now only for very special occasions like Passover.

    >
    >
    > I can't even imagine thickening chicken soup. My late mother-in-law
    > used to put the carrots in the blender and then put the pureed carrots
    > into the soup. Got the kids eating carrots :-)
    >
    > I make matzo balls twice a year. Rosh Hashanna and Pesach. That's it.
    > Those are the two times a year I make latkes, also.
    >
    > This year there will be about 8 people at my house to eat brisket and
    > latkes for Chanukah. The friend I invited last year invited a whole
    > bunch of other friends for this year. I just ordered a brand new
    > Cuisinart from Kohl's. They had quite a deal and I'd been jonesing
    > for a big one for a long, long time.


    I don't know how you cook your brisket, but I HIGHLY reccomend the recipe
    Nach Waxman's Brisket from The Silver Palate. It really is the best brisket
    I've ever had, by a long shot.



  18. #18
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 11/14/2011 8:37 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

    > This soup requires lots of chicken. I usually use breast halves with the
    > skin on. I save the wing tips from when I cut up chicken wings for
    > snacking and they go in the soup. I also save necks and backs and
    > gizzards from whole chickens for the soup. The more bones one adds, the
    > more gelatin gets into the soup making it richer. I refrigerate it
    > overnight and skim it of excess fat. It freezes wonderfully.


    I use one or two whole chickens for a big pot of soup or home made
    stock. Great depth of flavor. I love gizzards and hearts cooked in the
    soup.

    I've decided that the perfect amount of fat ends up in my soup with no
    skimming required if I remove all the skin, except from the wings, prior
    to cooking. Wah lah! Tiny bits of fat on the surface and good flavor
    but no grease or thick fat layer.

    I LOVE crispy chicken skin, and I love the idea someone gave me to save
    it all up, put on plenty of s and p and broil it or bake it on high.

    Susan

  19. #19
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    "Janet Wilder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4ec1c35b$0$9787$c3e8da3

    > This year there will be about 8 people at my house to eat brisket and
    > latkes for Chanukah. The friend I invited last year invited a whole bunch
    > of other friends for this year. I just ordered a brand new Cuisinart from
    > Kohl's. They had quite a deal and I'd been jonesing for a big one for a
    > long, long time.


    How did we ever get by without our Cuisinarts? I love mine.

    Cheri


  20. #20
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Chicken soup

    x-no-archive: yes

    On 11/14/2011 9:10 PM, Cheri wrote:

    > How did we ever get by without our Cuisinarts? I love mine.


    I got rid of mine, don't miss it. It's been 7 years or so.

    Susan

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32