Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: Best meatballs ever

  1. #21
    Ozgirl Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    Alan S wrote:
    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 06:13:32 -0500, "krom"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> if you live in the desert fine eat vegimite..but if your in a lush
    >> area eww..lol..veggimite to me is like eating medicine..lol


    A medicine one enjoys eating



  2. #22
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    x-no-archive: yes

    Evelyn wrote:

    > Yes, I learned from several sources and managed to combine those into
    > that final recipe. The most recent change in the evolution of that
    > recipe was to use less garlic and to use milk to soak the breadcrumbs
    > (or bread) with. Years ago I used to use a lot of garlic and it tended
    > to overwhelm the taste.


    I agree; I had to cut the garlic in my meatloaf, but it works in these
    meatballs. I've always used the milk; I think I got that from an old
    cookbook or my mother or a friend's mother did it. It's in my Low Carb
    Cookbook meatloaf recipe, too.

    I also never thought of using that bit of
    > milk, but used water instead. A friend of mine added the milk and it
    > gave an amazingly mellow and good taste to the meatballs. I asked her
    > what she did, and that was where I learned it. But next time I am
    > going to use your recipe. What have I got to lose anyway? One lb of
    > chopped meat? Not much. But of course, hubby is going to give the
    > final word on whether he likes them or not.


    My husband thinks they're the best ever. The chef sells them by the pot,
    and for takeout you can keep the pot or return it for a small deposit.
    I wish I had a more precise recipe, but I was eyeballing. They really
    need salt, but I usually add kosher salt at the table when I use salt,
    rather than to recipes.

    >
    > Oh and I almost forgot. I agree about the fresh parsley being
    > absolutely essential. I have used the dried and gotten somewhat decent
    > results, but it is never as good as using the fresh. I prefer the
    > curly parsley for meatballs and meatloaf as well. The flat is better
    > for italian sauces and such.
    >


    I always cook with flat leaf parsley.

    Susan

  3. #23
    Evelyn Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever



    "Ozgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > Evelyn wrote:
    >> "Ozgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> krom wrote:
    >>>> i like grated onion in my meatloaf and hamburgers so i will
    >>>> deffinately make mine grated.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> My first mother in law made the most divine meat balls.
    >>>
    >>> She made them from beef with finely chopped onion, chopped fresh,
    >>> very ripe tomatoes, vegemite (lol, that was what actually made them
    >>> so special!) Worcestershire sauce, bit of salt, beaten egg and
    >>> flour. She rolled them in flour as well before frying them gently
    >>> over a gas flame in a cast iron frying pan and dripping.
    >>>
    >>> The dripping was poured off and gravy made in the pan. I can't tell
    >>> you just how divine those meatballs were!
    >>> If she was making them for a party she made them bite-sized and
    >>> cooked them til just before they browned on the outside then would
    >>> heat them up gently in a gas oven.
    >>>
    >>> Sadly she is 93 and doesn't cook anymore, the newer generations in
    >>> the family only hear about these meatballs now at family functions
    >>> My daughter recently asked me for the recipe and she cooked them
    >>> for friends with just salad and they all raved and took home the
    >>> recipe

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Ozgirl, have you got the exact quantities? I might like to try
    >> those too.

    >
    > Lol, now you ask a lot I am one of those toss in a bit of this and that
    > type cook
    >
    > Ok, let's say a pound of beef. Toss in a finely chopped onion, 1 large
    > chopped, ripe (squishy) tomato, 1 egg depending on size - 2 if they are
    > small, about 1 heaped dessertspoon Vegemite, a slurp of Worcestershire
    > sauce.. and enough flour to keep it all together. Add about 1 teaspoon
    > of salt and squelch it all together with your hands and taste it. Yes,
    > taste that raw mix Make the balls the size you want and roll in flour
    > and cook in whatever fat floats your boat, lol. They are also nice with
    > some curry powder added. Nothing fancy, just curry powder like our
    > grandmas used to use. Best cooked on a medium heat and not overdone. Even
    > with the flour I don't find they cause any blips on the bg radar. YMMV.
    >
    > Oh, I tried canned, crushed tomatoes (drained) once - it didn't work.




    Thanks Ozgirl, now I have to try and hunt up some vegemite :-) Maybe it is
    available somewhere either in a local store or by mail.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Evelyn

    "Be wise, treat yourself, your mind, sympathetically, with loving kindness.
    If you are gentle with yourself, you will become gentle with
    hers." --Lama Thubten Yeshe


  4. #24
    Nicky Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:18:26 -0400, "Evelyn" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Thanks Ozgirl, now I have to try and hunt up some vegemite :-) Maybe it is
    >available somewhere either in a local store or by mail.


    Nooooo! Evelyn, don't do it!

    Nicky.
    T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
    D&E, 100ug thyroxine
    Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

  5. #25
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    x-no-archive: yes

    P.S. My meatball recipe uses fresh breadcrumbs, not dried.


    Susan

  6. #26
    Alan S Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:53:10 +1000, "Ozgirl"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Evelyn wrote:
    >> "Ozgirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> krom wrote:
    >>>> i like grated onion in my meatloaf and hamburgers so i will
    >>>> deffinately make mine grated.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> My first mother in law made the most divine meat balls.
    >>>
    >>> She made them from beef with finely chopped onion, chopped fresh,
    >>> very ripe tomatoes, vegemite (lol, that was what actually made them
    >>> so special!) Worcestershire sauce, bit of salt, beaten egg and
    >>> flour. She rolled them in flour as well before frying them gently
    >>> over a gas flame in a cast iron frying pan and dripping.
    >>>
    >>> The dripping was poured off and gravy made in the pan. I can't tell
    >>> you just how divine those meatballs were!
    >>> If she was making them for a party she made them bite-sized and
    >>> cooked them til just before they browned on the outside then would
    >>> heat them up gently in a gas oven.
    >>>
    >>> Sadly she is 93 and doesn't cook anymore, the newer generations in
    >>> the family only hear about these meatballs now at family functions
    >>> My daughter recently asked me for the recipe and she cooked them
    >>> for friends with just salad and they all raved and took home the
    >>> recipe

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Ozgirl, have you got the exact quantities? I might like to try
    >> those too.

    >
    >Lol, now you ask a lot I am one of those toss in a bit of this and that
    >type cook
    >
    >Ok, let's say a pound of beef. Toss in a finely chopped onion, 1 large
    >chopped, ripe (squishy) tomato, 1 egg depending on size - 2 if they are
    >small, about 1 heaped dessertspoon Vegemite, a slurp of Worcestershire
    >sauce.. and enough flour to keep it all together. Add about 1 teaspoon of
    >salt and squelch it all together with your hands and taste it. Yes, taste
    >that raw mix Make the balls the size you want and roll in flour and cook
    >in whatever fat floats your boat, lol. They are also nice with some curry
    >powder added. Nothing fancy, just curry powder like our grandmas used to
    >use. Best cooked on a medium heat and not overdone. Even with the flour I
    >don't find they cause any blips on the bg radar. YMMV.
    >
    >Oh, I tried canned, crushed tomatoes (drained) once - it didn't work.
    >

    I might try this; however, I'm surprised you need any
    additonal salt considering the salt content of the Vegemite.


    Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
    --
    d&e, metformin 2000 mg
    Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
    http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
    dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)

  7. #27
    Evelyn Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever



    "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > P.S. My meatball recipe uses fresh breadcrumbs, not dried.
    >
    >
    > Susan


    Yes, I made note of that fact. Less carby and more moist to start out
    with.
    --
    Best Regards,
    Evelyn

    "Be wise, treat yourself, your mind, sympathetically, with loving kindness.
    If you are gentle with yourself, you will become gentle with
    hers." --Lama Thubten Yeshe


  8. #28
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    x-no-archive: yes

    Evelyn wrote:
    >
    >
    > "Susan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >
    >> x-no-archive: yes
    >>
    >> P.S. My meatball recipe uses fresh breadcrumbs, not dried.
    >>
    >>
    >> Susan

    >
    >
    > Yes, I made note of that fact. Less carby and more moist to start out
    > with.


    I've made them too wet on occasion, so I just add less than all I've
    made to the mix, and a bit more just til they'll hold their shape, but
    no more. Also, I like the grated onion version better.

    Susan

  9. #29
    Bigbazza Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever


    "Alan S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 06:13:32 -0500, "krom"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>if you live in the desert fine eat vegimite..but if your in a lush area
    >>eww..lol..veggimite to me is like eating medicine..lol
    >>
    >>KROM

    >
    > That's OK; we're happy to retain it for our own use...:-)
    >
    >
    > Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.



    I am an Ozzie , but far prefer 'Promite' myself..It is softer and has a
    little bit of sweetness to off set the slight bitterness that I dislike in
    'Vegemite...I haven't used either one for adding as an ingredient to a
    recipe....I just love hot toast and a nice amount of 'Promite' plastered
    on..:-)

    Bigbazza (Barry)


  10. #30
    krom Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    Ack!
    we must not lose her to the crazed aussies!!!

    come back towards the light eve!

    Here have a nice peanutbutter sandwhich!

    KROM

    "Nicky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:18:26 -0400, "Evelyn" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks Ozgirl, now I have to try and hunt up some vegemite :-) Maybe it
    >>is
    >>available somewhere either in a local store or by mail.

    >
    > Nooooo! Evelyn, don't do it!
    >
    > Nicky.
    > T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
    > D&E, 100ug thyroxine
    > Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25




  11. #31
    RodS Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    krom wrote:
    > Ack!
    > we must not lose her to the crazed aussies!!!
    >
    > come back towards the light eve!
    >
    > Here have a nice peanutbutter sandwhich!
    >
    > KROM


    Does it have HFCS in it ?

    >
    > "Nicky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:18:26 -0400, "Evelyn" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks Ozgirl, now I have to try and hunt up some vegemite :-) Maybe it
    >>> is
    >>> available somewhere either in a local store or by mail.

    >> Nooooo! Evelyn, don't do it!
    >>
    >> Nicky.
    >> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
    >> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
    >> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

    >
    >


  12. #32
    krom Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    no just good ol yummy goodness!

    KROM

    "RodS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:vrYEk.2435$[email protected]..
    > krom wrote:
    >> Ack!
    >> we must not lose her to the crazed aussies!!!
    >>
    >> come back towards the light eve!
    >>
    >> Here have a nice peanutbutter sandwhich!
    >>
    >> KROM

    >
    > Does it have HFCS in it ?
    >
    >>
    >> "Nicky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:18:26 -0400, "Evelyn" <[email protected]>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Thanks Ozgirl, now I have to try and hunt up some vegemite :-) Maybe
    >>>> it is
    >>>> available somewhere either in a local store or by mail.
    >>> Nooooo! Evelyn, don't do it!
    >>>
    >>> Nicky.
    >>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
    >>> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
    >>> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

    >>



  13. #33
    Nicky Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:49:22 -0400, Susan <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >I don't think I've posted this before, but these are like no other
    >meatballs I've ever had. I eyeballed the ingredient measurements when a
    >local chef won a Bobby Flay throwdown with his famous meatballs.


    Heh - my family think I'm a culinary genius - thanks, Susan : )

    Nicky.
    T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
    D&E, 100ug thyroxine
    Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

  14. #34
    Susan Guest

    Default Re: Best meatballs ever

    Nicky wrote:

    > Heh - my family think I'm a culinary genius - thanks, Susan : )
    >



    The genius is a local chef, but you're welcome!

    Susan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32